Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Your Doom 3 Experience?

Sorry about that post. Was just worried if anyone knew who I was. Anyway, so I want to know what your experience with Doom 3 was. Was it good? Bad? Disappointing or surprising? When I played it, I thought it was a good game. I enjoyed the expansion more.

I attempted to play through it several times in the past, like a lot of people I got several levels in then quit.

Finally I got the BFG edition and used console commands to let the flashlight last forever then ploughed through it.

It does get a lot better toward the end. I do plan on playing the original legit eventually.

Still haven't played the expansion but I plan to.

My playtrougth of Doom 3 was with the original, between of 2009 or 2010. I know  the game beforehand, even play a little in a cousin house but not the whole game.

When i played finally in my computer (A powerful Dual Core with integrated chipset graphics) on low mid settings at 1024*768 res, i liked the game. At the time, my FPS was mostly slower paced but with snap aiming (like fear without crouch jump slide.) so it was a not problem to me, I liked how in-sim could be with the PDA and the voice recordings.

Take my time with the game, i beated like in a week, and then proceed to the expansion, that  I liked really more as it was just too action packed. Liked the gravity gun, double shotgun for the barons of hells. 

My trouble was mostly with how some areas could be better done in difficulty (The last mining section it's just a slog). And how little replayability holds the game until you finish.

BFG Version it's just more action mode, but i liked how Doom 3 was like an im-sim of a marine.

My impression of the game has not yet changed or biased.

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Played it on Release, every night about a Hour.

Couldn't played it longer as it is very intense in the Dark and with Headphones.

One Night my Mother came in and put her Hand on my Shoulder, i am pretty sure my Heart aged ten Years and the Neightbours where also awake after that haha

Was the last Game that truly felt like a big technological Step forward.

Afterwards and until today it evolves little by little, never had such a "wow, thats the future"-Feel again.

I really really enjoyed it, even if they got me often with theirs Scares :P

Atmosphere is just great and that feeling of being vulnerable when walking with the Torch is brutal.

Best tactics i've learned, overcome the Scare, run towards the Enemy and one hit that Beast with the Shotgun (at least with Imps and alike).

The BFG Version really feels much easier and somehow it is not understandable for me why they put out some Sound and Visual Effects.

But, the 3D Effect is nice and it is a good Console(!) Game.

Can recommend to play the original with HD-Textures, still looks pretty up to date with that.

When I first played it, mind that I was pretty excited about it once I heard it was a thing that would soon exist, I had a decent time, even though Doom3 was too much of a departure from the formula of the classics for my liking... It had lots of good ingredients, but pacing-wise there were things that irked me...

I get that a lot of the game's intention was to create a sense of atmosphere, and, sure enough, visually it did that at the time, but with so many situations that warranted the use of the flash light, resulting in a somewhat repetitive gameplay loop, I soon grew tired of these dark sections... Speaking of things I grew tired of, the constant jump scares didn't help much either, and sifting through PDAs in order to gain access to locker codes was too common for my liking, especially with these audio logs one had to listen to all the way sometimes, just to get a couple grenades and maybe a medkit that wasn't actually needed at the time...

Come resurrection of evil, they introduced a new artefact as well as the grabber, the former being a mandatory gimmick used in rather uncreative ways, even though there was quite a lot of potential to employ it as a centrepiece for actual puzzle sections (instead of use artefact here, or else...) and the grabber ended up being the best means by which to conserve ammunition, as well as being a somewhat competent, albeit sluggish-feeling defensive tool...

Base game and expansion kit also annoyed me with the stamina mechanic layered on top of the other already rather omnipresent aspects that slowed the pace of the game down, so there's another gripe I have, especially since stamina, or lack thereof, also pretty much never amounted to something that had any impact on fights in a meaningful way...

All things considered, I think both the base game and the add-on are worth playing once or twice, but that's about the size of it, because that cursed memory we human possess just so happens to ruin pretty much all the sense of dread the game has to offer, because jump scares just lose all their bite once you know they're coming, and many ambushes are trivial once you know which weapon to break out first, and where to stand...

In terms of numbers 5/10... Lots of potential gone to waste and bogged down by too much of the same over and over...

Disclaimer, i have never played in nightmare difficulty and most of my playthroughs were on normal. Overall, i really like the game, i have a lot of fun with the combat, even with the shotgun which you can use to spawn kill most enemies; the setting is very well done with the cutscenes and PDA content; and the visual design is great all around, in my opinion. It's one of my childhood games and while not completely perfect, i'd say it's a great game all around.

Now with RoE, i would like to be able to say the same, some of the additions were really cool, but the Artifact breaks the game in half. You can always just choose not to use it, though.

The Lost Mission expansion that came with BFG Edition was also absolutely great, i'd love to have more user made content on that quality bar. It's a game with a lot of untapped potential in my opinion.

The only Doom game I've played at launch - and for that reason, I love it.

Possibly mostly nostalgia, but I really enjoy playing it to this day.

Love the expansion pack. Those big brutes w/ the 'teeth image' on their face were pretty awesome. Would love to see that enemy be brought back.

I played the og xbox port originally and it was my first experience of a full Doom game for quite some time.
It's high on my list of personal favorites, though I understand why it's not as loved as something like Doom 64.

Still, it's worth playing at least once.

Played it shortly after release and was instantly immersed into the atmosphere. It’s one of my all-time favorite FPS games. I also really liked System Shock 2, and always perceived original Doom as a kind of scifi horror game. So Doom 3 was exactly what I wanted.

i boot it up once every other year whenever extreme boredom hits me and have a decent time, most of the keycodes required to progress are usually handed to you directly in pda emails so don't even need to listen to audio logs, the jumpscares barely even feel like jumpscares, more like monster closets, once you memorize them they become very simple to predict and counter or avoid in subsequent replays. the mods are fun to mess around with too, perfected doom 3, cdoom 3, lms4, hexen eoc, phobos, hard corps...