Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

MMOs that you played?

I haven't played an MMO in an extremely long time (other than Roblox, which I play on occasion). I did play a few more MMOs when I was younger: Wizard101, Pirate101, a Star Wars one I can't remember the name of, and Toontown Online. The two former games I remember the most, because both of them had a similar "get a quest only to realize you can't complete it because it's in an area that requires a membership" thing.

Does anyone here play, or has played MMOs?

I don't have the background in MMOs like my partners do, but I've played a few recent ones. Fallout 76 and Destiny previously (I still pop into FO76 on occasion) and more recently Elder Scrolls Online and I've been dipping my toes into Final Fantasy 14 but I'm struggling to maintain interest.

Some Fallout-esque thing whose name escapes me. Hated it. Elder Scrolls Online - loved the world but hated that they didn't stay close to the original designs for locations in previous games. Missed an opportunity there big time. Combat also felt reptitive, weightless and also meaningless as death seemed to have no real consequence. Got bored after a couple of hours and never returned.

I was somewhat into DDO and Kingdom of Loathing for a time. For the time required to get anywhere in MMOs, I'd rather just play a whole lot of other things. 

warrframe, 800+ hours spent bullet jumping and mindlessly repeating the same 3 missions or so to rank up every single piece of gear I get my hands on.

destiny 2, +500 hours of bounties, bounties and more bounties.

EverQuest, Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, FF11, World of Warcraft, Planetside 1, Aion, Star Wars The Old Republic, City of Heroes/Villains, Champions Online, Warframe, DND Online, EVE Online, Escape from Tarkov, there might be some others I can't remember...I have played way too many.

Warframe: Had literally thousands of hours, Saryn/Khora best frames, Bratton Prime best gun ect ect, stopped playing at Fortuna because I burnt out.

Defiance: I liked it, put loads of time into the game but I was a solo player and for us solo players the game started to become brutal, especially with the third island's incursions having literally 1000s of enemies, could solo most things though (bloody had to, hardly any players).

Defiance 2050: Garbage "remake"/"relaunch", worse than original product with all the issues and less of the content, literally killed the game as it shut both down in April this year and migrated all resources to... Trove, yeah.

Destiny 1/2: Played to death, yeah, dropped in Destiny 2 when the release was dogshit, came back for Forsaken which was great, left again when the predatory FOMO monetisation systems reared their ugly head with the whole "seasons" shit, sad but whatever.

Final Fantasy 14: Not my thing, couldn't get on with it.

Elder Scrolls Online: Still playing it, that's gotta count for something. Not a fan of the attempt at an overarching storyline with the mainline games that appears to retcon itself every 3 seconds because Bethesda can't write. Massive fan of the fashion though, I do like that, actual Elder Scrolls games need customizable colours and vanity slots for armours (because dwarven/bonemold is cool but it is also shit compared to other sets). Also main campaign is wack and PVP is impossible if you aren't yellow elf nazi team, figures.

I played World of Warcraft obsessively during the Burning Crusade expansion, to the point where my grades started to drop a bit.

Around the time WotLK released though I burned out hard and was never able to re-gain interest in it.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Some Fallout-esque thing whose name escapes me. Hated it.

Fallen Earth, maybe?

I gave that a brief try and quickly bailed; ditto with: WoW, Champions Online, Everquest, definitely at last one other whose name I have forgotten.

Games I actually played for more than one week: Fallout 76, Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Also played World of Warcraft for a few years after Lich King came out; was a lot of fun until I realized that all my hopes and dreams in the real world had fallen to the wayside in order to craft potions and sell them at the auction house for weekend raids.

Casually played Helbreath in high school, mainly at school with friends in the computer lab.

My first MMO was Guild Wars 2, and I absolutely adored it. I have about 700 hours logged in it. I loved that it rewarded exploration, that it had variety in content with jumping puzzles, and the open world bosses were really cool. Eventually it got stale because content wasn't being added to it, and my ping wasn't good enough for PvP which was the focus of the game after a point.

Late last year I tried out WoW Classic. I'd originally missed out on the game due to not having decent enough internet until like 2012, and by then WoW was a completely different game. Playing WoW Classic was kind of eye opening. It had an incredibly immersive world I just wanted to get lost in. There were so many environments that just started to ignite my imagination and almost get me wanting to roleplay. Solo content in the world was hard and punishing, so I felt like I had to be smart. It actually felt like an RPG. I enjoyed the leveling content. Modern WoW doesn't have that, it's just designed to be as unintrusive as possible while pushing you to end game.

I've been playing FFXIV lately like everyone and their mum. It's kind of a game I'd recommend to everyone as one of the greatest of all time regardless of genre - if you didn't have to complete a kind of mediocre 120+ hour game to get to that point. Playing with a group made it bearable, as did playing a healer. Seriously, White Mage is the most fun class I've played in an MMO, as it's reactive rather than rotation based. I'm a dps until people start dying and then I start sweating, and it's so fun! When the story started getting good there were moments when I was genuinely angry at a character, or close to shedding a tear. It's really well told.

30 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Fallen Earth, maybe?

That rings a bell yes, think that's the one.

I have like 1000ish hours on Warframe. Every other MMO was less than 10 hours. Like ESO, bought that shit. Hated it.

I played a lot of World of Warcraft starting during the Burning Crusade expansion, then losing interest when the Cataclysm expansion came out. Really enjoyed it, and I've considered playing WoW Classic.

12 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Some Fallout-esque thing whose name escapes me. Hated it. Elder Scrolls Online - loved the world but hated that they didn't stay close to the original designs for locations in previous games. Missed an opportunity there big time. Combat also felt reptitive, weightless and also meaningless as death seemed to have no real consequence. Got bored after a couple of hours and never returned.

I played ESO a bit. I did like the look of some of the locations. I thought Balmora was pretty nicely done. I played it for awhile and got bored of it. Never went back.

11 hours ago, [McD]James said:

I was somewhat into DDO and Kingdom of Loathing for a time. For the time required to get anywhere in MMOs, I'd rather just play a whole lot of other things. 

I had DDO suggested to me. It didn't jive with me all that well.

7 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

My first MMO was Guild Wars 2, and I absolutely adored it. I have about 700 hours logged in it. I loved that it rewarded exploration, that it had variety in content with jumping puzzles, and the open world bosses were really cool. Eventually it got stale because content wasn't being added to it, and my ping wasn't good enough for PvP which was the focus of the game after a point.

Late last year I tried out WoW Classic. I'd originally missed out on the game due to not having decent enough internet until like 2012, and by then WoW was a completely different game. Playing WoW Classic was kind of eye opening. It had an incredibly immersive world I just wanted to get lost in. There were so many environments that just started to ignite my imagination and almost get me wanting to roleplay. Solo content in the world was hard and punishing, so I felt like I had to be smart. It actually felt like an RPG. I enjoyed the leveling content. Modern WoW doesn't have that, it's just designed to be as unintrusive as possible while pushing you to end game.

I've been playing FFXIV lately like everyone and their mum. It's kind of a game I'd recommend to everyone as one of the greatest of all time regardless of genre - if you didn't have to complete a kind of mediocre 120+ hour game to get to that point. Playing with a group made it bearable, as did playing a healer. Seriously, White Mage is the most fun class I've played in an MMO, as it's reactive rather than rotation based. I'm a dps until people start dying and then I start sweating, and it's so fun! When the story started getting good there were moments when I was genuinely angry at a character, or close to shedding a tear. It's really well told.

Guild Wars and Guild Wars II resonated with me pretty well. Got over a 1000 hours in both games. Think I burned out on the first game as I played it thoroughly for many hours, including all the mission packs and whatnot and was done with it when a couple friends picked it up and I went through it all again with a couple new characters. Something like Morrowind, I don't think I can go back to playing it at all. Major burnout there. I completely enjoyed Guild Wars II as well. There's a bunch of stuff they added since before covid that I haven't touched. I got tired of it and when I did go back to do some of the living story stuff, one of the big boss fight in the story quests pissed me off because I killed the boss after a long battle and the game crashed and I had to redo the whole thing. I replayed that part and got through it but the wind was out of my sails, so to speak and I stopped playing again. I'll probably get back into it when they get close to releasing the 3rd expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons...

Only ones I've played are RuneScape (back when I was a kid) and GW2.

I liked FlyFF very much before the only Russian server was closed.

I tried Perfect World but it has (or had) bad Russian translation.

I also tried Jade Dynasty but it is very imbalanced.

Currently i'm on Linux so i have troubles with anticheats. Waiting for Steam Deck...

Also: does Minetest count?

Edited by ax34

2 hours ago, ax34 said:

Currently i'm on Linux so i have troubles with anticheats.

Been missing Destiny 2 so much since switching to Linux

Played The Elder Scrolls Online, mostly for the singleplayer content as I had no friends and Cyrodil absolutely destroyed me. I enjoyed it and kind of miss it, but I don't consider it worth buying again just to play more of that singleplayer content.

I also tried to get into old-school Runescape once, but that didn't last long.

The only MMO that I seriously got into for years was Star Trek Online. I've tried a number of others such as Star Wars Galaxies Legends, Guild Wars 2, Lords of the Rings Online, Champtions Online, Elite Dangerous, Phantasy Star 2 Online, The Old Republic, Destiny 2 before they started to cut old content out, Pirates of the Burning Sea, but I just couldn't keep playing most of them, at least with SWGL I created and leveled two characters to 90 and did all the main story quests with them. I really find it hard to keep playing medieval fantasy based MMO's even though I enjoy singleplayer games with the theme, I seem to find it easier to stick to sci-fi as far as MMO's are concerned. FFXIV is one I am kind of interested in but I haven't been continuing the trial recently.

Edited by Avoozl

Old-School Runescape

Some Korean game that started with "Hel" that got memoryholed and I can never find. I think it ripped some sprites from Diablo 2.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Destiny 1 & 2

Planetside 2

Dust 514

I grew out of MMORPG's pretty fast. Everything just feels like an imitation of Runescape. As far as general MMO's go, DayZ Mod, and Minecraft's 2b2t server will probably be the genre's peak for years to come. 

Edit: Elite Dangerous is pretty damn good too. 

Seeing Toontown in the OP took me way back to my childhood, holy shit. I've played soooo many MMOs, I wish I had the availability to really sink into an MMO like I did in my teens.

Rappelz was always my favourite MMO, it was a Korean MMORPG that was as hardcore and grindy as they came at the time, but at the time I saw this as a good thing as I had a lot of spare time. Interesting pet summon mechanics, good classes, very enjoyable economy to buy and sell on etc... but the game is in such a dire state these days that I wouldn't bother going to check it out; they added quests which give so much XP that you jump so many levels and miss out on a lot of good dungeons, and because of the huge skip people people weren't prepared for what they had coming later on, making a successful dungeon party in the level region after those quests very rare. :(

Other MMO's I've played in no particular order - Runescape (both new and oldschool), TLBB (Tian Long Ba Bu), RaiderZ, C9 (Continent of the ninth Seal), Wynncraft (MMO inside of minecraft, surprisingly good), AION, Tera, Trove, Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2, Diablo III, World of Warcraft i(n the Mists of Pandaria expac, then came back during the Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands expacs), and recently, New World. There's a lot that I'm forgetting but I can vividly picture what they looked like in my mind, annoying :P

Less "MMORPG" more "MMO in general" games I've played include Rust, Valheim, Minecraft, Warframe, VRChat (yikes), GTA SA:MP servers, and plenty more I'm forgetting

World of Warcraft, was the most significant one I've played back in the day. Played is obsessively for a small period.

Guild Wars as well, didn't play it nearly as much as WoW but did get some proper play time.

Briefly played KotoR but was getting over MMOs by then. The cool cut scenes and choices were too infrequent in comparison to the classic single player games.

The only MMO I ever played was Kingdom Of Loathing and calling that an MMO is a bit of a stretch. 

I spent a lot of hours playing this in college but then I kinda stopped for no particular reason and never went back.

PSO Phantasy star online , lost thousands of hours to that game in the early 2000's dreamcast and xbox versions.  Not a fan of them too much these days though

About MMORPGs. Within last few years my husband and myself played: Tera Online (yikes), BDO, Guild Wars, Ragnarok Online, TES Online (started all over twice), D&D Online, and maybe something else that I don't even remember because not worth it.

But nothing ever, EVER took us so dearly and sincerely as Final Fantasy XIV. Most games like that are just bland or boring, but FF is... breathtaking. Not to mention that was the one and only MMORPG that I was willing to pay monthly subscription for. Totally worth it, every cent you spend, I think. The world is amazingly detailed, everything is very well made (not that you would expect something else from SqEnix), character customization is pretty decent. The world is living and breathing, creatures are interesting, mini games are entertaining; and most importantly: absolutely no toxic community. People are friendly and helpful, even doing dungeons in groups of 4 (meaning we two had to play with two other random people) was very, very nice. Peck, I even befriended a person I met in this game later in Discord, and now we're chatting every now and then outside the game :)

Then we decided to take a break and stopped for a while. But looking forward to go back into the game, refreshed and energized :)

A new DLC is going to be available shortly in the beginning of December, so we're very excited! We'll definitely get to play it again soon.