Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cammy

Realm of Chaos: 25th Anniversary Edition - RC2 RELEASED! (vanilla classic megawad)

I am so looking forward to this, Cammy! RoC always needed an OST but none of us were musicians, so it's cool to see that issue solved. I also want to give you mad props for tracking down every original RoC member except (so far) Jason Fowler. With your sleuthing skillz, I'm sure you'll find him.

I'm pretty sure RoC isn't the only Mac-made megawad. Batman Doom was done on the Mac, and was a full TC to boot. Yes, they admit to using Wintex for the flats, but we used some PC apps as well, for example when Antoni Chan replaced the stock demos. I also think at least one of the Laz Rojas Wolfendoom projects hit the 15+ map mark, too. But no question, we were the first!

Hey, I recall playtesting some of these maps! Cool to see this finally getting released, with a brand new soundtrack to boot.

Happy anniversary!

I've never seen this wad before. Cool that there will be a remaster. A bit surprised you're not mentioning a retouch of geometry/textures for a 25-year old wad?

On 11/1/2021 at 4:57 AM, game said:

A bit surprised you're not mentioning a retouch of geometry/textures for a 25-year old wad?

I had considered that - I'm fixing whatever texture misalignments I find, but I ultimately decided not to mess around with geometry too much. For a wad of RoC's age, it's difficult to define a point at which a map really needs that visual care, and even harder to define a point at which a visually-updated map loses its identity. Besides, I think each map having its own music track - a field in which I have much more experience than mapping - will do quite a bit of work all on its own to make these maps feel fresher.

Thanks for your interest, I hope you end up enjoying it when it's out!

Edit 2024: This aged very poorly, lmao

Edited by Cammy

Whoa!

Knew I had that file around here...

Just cued up map01 & map02 for giggles.

I played the living hell out of this wad back in the early 2000s.

Always impressed by the balance of it considering it a product

of multiple authors.

I made my own dehacked patch with a story i wrote, a complete music pack with music from all the MM entries, including Requiem, and Icarus: Alien Vanguard, and made a proper status bar for it.

And now you come with this project.
No, Cammy, i don't like you, anymore.

I LOVE YOU!!!

What a coincidence! I have just found out about Realms of Chaos today. I was going to start playing it, maybe even put together a custom soundtrack for the occasion, but I guess I will have to wait for the re-release instead! 

Edited by Rudolph

Hey again, folks! Wanted to give you guys a quick update. A November release is looking somewhat unlikely at the moment thanks to some solidifying family plans for Thanksgiving, but I'll be damned if I'm not still going to try and hit it!

While I'm posting, here are some new screenshots for you, this time in the form of some good, old-fashioned before and after comparisons. Original RoC on the left, RoC25 on the right. Lighting is fun!

azWMBu7.png

mbyIASK.png

yENEUvO.png

I'm glad to see the positive reception this thread has gotten. I hope the adjustments and music live up to all your expectations!

Edited by Cammy

Now that is what i call a proper facelifting :D
Good job, Cammy!

Great to see this happening to one of my favourite pwads :)

On 10/31/2021 at 11:23 PM, Cammy said:

This revised and recharged version of the classic wad will feature new graphics and sprites - your muzzle flashes now have a stylish blue pop to them. 

Will the new sprites be optional like with the original release?

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Will the new sprites be optional like with the original release?

Nope, all the custom sprites are being baked into the wad this time - both for convenience's sake, and because RoC's sprites are really fun and unique, so it'd be a shame not to show them off front-and-center! If you'd like to play without them, it's a simple matter of opening Slade and deleting everything from S_START to S_END.

Cool! I have actually not seen much of RoC's sprites, as I got stuck in MAP04 by an invisible wall, so I was just wondering.

I am curious about the promised blue muzzleflashes: for some reason, I have those vague childhood memories of those being in vanilla Doom. As I grew up, I discovered that the game's weapons never had blue muzzleflashes to begin with (except for the Plasma Rifle), so either what I saw was footage of the Plasma Rifle in action or I experienced a case of the Mandela Effect. :P

On 2/3/2022 at 5:51 PM, Rudolph said:

January is behind us already, yet no update on this project. Is everything okay on your end?

So sorry for being so slow to update this - yes, RoC25 is still underway! Apologies for the delay in its release - I've been busy with life, and also with a few other exciting Doom projects which have taken a lot out of me in the past few months. RoC25 has been on the backburner for a little bit, but very soon I'll finally get the chance to make it my priority again, so don't give up on it just yet!! In fact, it's actually closer to done than you may think. ;)

No need to apologize! I just noticed the lack of updates and I was wondering what was going on. Real life takes precedence, I understand that too well!

Finally, some good news! RoC25 is at last nearing the end of its development. All 32 maps are now remastered and complete, only awaiting a couple rounds of testing and a completed soundtrack before it should be ready for release. I've updated the OP to reflect this, and I've got a few more before-and-after screenies to share with you all. Just like before, originals on the left, remasters on the right!

b8fLQ7R.png

xIIyQDA.png

c9XoMxa.png

wIbOMGH.png

CgGjFpc.png

Nice!

I see you have done more than remastering it, though; according to the screenshots, you have added and removed enemies and items. Why is that?

43 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I see you have done more than remastering it, though; according to the screenshots, you have added and removed enemies and items. Why is that?

For the most part, the changes to the amounts and placement of the monsters actually aren't as significant as they look - just a matter of the monsters deciding to wander in different directions while I got in position to take my screencaps. There are definitely sections of the wad where monster placements and items are switched around, though - including some fights which are either reworked completely or outright new - but I've done my best to keep it so that it's done in service of making the strengths of each map and its respective combat scenarios more prevalent.

I really, really like that last screenshot.

All those blues toghether give me this deep nostalgic feeling.

Only Heretic and some Nicolas Monti maps gave me that feeling so far.

I don't know what it is about huge structures, clear sky, and water that does it for me, but it's certainly a theme I'd like to see more of.

Not sure if that's mostly OG or reworked RoC, but in any case Cammy, really excited to see this project. In the meantime, you just convinced me to play through the original to have something to compare this re-release to.

Those blue muzzle flashes sound awesome, any sneak peeks of those by any chance?

1 hour ago, rzh said:

I really, really like that last screenshot.

All those blues toghether give me this deep nostalgic feeling.

Only Heretic and some Nicolas Monti maps gave me that feeling so far.

I don't know what it is about huge structures, clear sky, and water that does it for me, but it's certainly a theme I'd like to see more of.

Not sure if that's mostly OG or reworked RoC, but in any case Cammy, really excited to see this project. In the meantime, you just convinced me to play through the original to have something to compare this re-release to.

Those blue muzzle flashes sound awesome, any sneak peeks of those by any chance?

Thanks so much! The screenshot you're describing is MAP19: Port Fury. The architecture and geometry is almost identical between the original and the remaster, but the color coordination and lighting are significantly reworked, leading to those deep dark blues you're describing. Glad you enjoy it, hopefully the full wad lives up to your expectations!

As far as a sneak peek is concerned, I have been entertaining the idea of releasing a demo version containing the first five maps, just to whet people's appetites and show off what to expect from the remaster. I could potentially get that arranged within a day or two if people would like to see it!

Edited by Cammy

Hey man! Sorry for the bump, I was wondering what happened with the project? The release day says Apri - May, and we are already at July. Hope the project sees the light soon, and everything is okey!

Hate to be that guy but uhh is the project doing alright? Don't wanna come across like I'm bitching and complaining, but it's been quite a while since when the wad was supposed to drop as it says in the OP. Like Endless said, I hope that this megawad eventually gets to be released and enjoyed by many, and that everything is OK.

17 hours ago, VoanHead said:

Hate to be that guy but uhh is the project doing alright? Don't wanna come across like I'm bitching and complaining, but it's been quite a while since when the wad was supposed to drop as it says in the OP. Like Endless said, I hope that this megawad eventually gets to be released and enjoyed by many, and that everything is OK.

There's another thread on the same topic by Steve D himself (focusing more on the development side). If he's to be believed, only two maps are left for the finishing before the eventual RC1.