Got any tips for New Doomers?

• Strafe in combat
  • Use the shotgun more than the super shotgun, it has tighter spread
  • Use the automap if you're lost
  • Save the BFG for the bosses

11 minutes ago, Redoom said:

• Save the BFG for the bosses

Well, that's mostly situational. I'm not saying you should ignore the shotgun but you probably won't be using it more than the super shotgun. Typically switch to it for small groups of low tier enemies like two or three zombiemen, or killing hitscanners from a distance when you don't have the chaingun. For Doom 1 and 2 the bfg advice will mostly apply but there's usually ammo around near bosses, and for a lot of pwads that probably wont be a good mentality. Even if it is new players reading this I'd highly recommend reading how to use the bfg more effectively rather than just letting it collect dust until it's boss time.

Edit: oh and as for new advice, the chaingun and pistol are always accurate on the first shot in a burst, so tapping the chaingun makes for a good sniper rifle. Also it's good to learn how much ammo it takes to kill different demons (example: cacodemon can take six shells, two shots from a super shotgun, two rockets, etc, imp can take one shell (if lucky), six bullets, etc). You'll learn that naturally while playing though.

Edited by Spineapple tea

My advice is to new players, play dimensions, esp, and Flotsam. They won’t be too difficult.

Spoiler

For real though, if you want to get good at the game then just record uvmaxes of maps that are difficult for you and you’ll inevitably improve until you’re tackling things like sunder maps single segment.

1. Strafe in combat

2. Use the shotgun more than the super shotgun, it has tighter spread

3. Use the automap if you're lost

4. Save the BFG for the bosses

1. I agree, no argument there. Strafe and keep moving generally, but learn to use cover too.

2. I disagree. I feel that you're best served by mastering the use of every single weapon and power up the game gives you and to find out when and when not to use them. I don't think that modern style, close quarters combat with Revenants, Hell Knights and Chaingunners (which are ubiquitous) would be winnable without the super shotty.

3. I've had to learn to make better use of the automap, especially to try and figure out where those secrets might be. Again, use the tools you're given.

4. Again, there are some telehordes which aren't beatable without the BFG, imho. You may be forced into a situation where the map author clearly wants you to use the BFG for other applications besides the bosses, and in such situations you're likely to find yourself in a world of hurt if you refuse to use it. I mean, I do try to hold off on the plasma rifle and BFG for emergencies a bit, but even then, sometimes the most powerful weapon is also the most efficient, not always but sometimes. To approach game play with a general 'doctrine' in mind of reserving the BFG for bosses is, imho, going about it the wrong way. There can be many, many levels in between boss fights and it's going to be a rougher road if you hoard your plasma.

Edited by Sergeant G

4 hours ago, Redoom said:

There are case choices as to where each shotgun is more useful than the other. It's better to recognize situations where the shotgun is better to use and the super shotgun is better.

Shotgun: It has a tigher spread, has more stopping power at longer ranges and is better suited in situations where you're picking off singular weaker enemies one at a time to save your ammo. There's no need to waste 2 bullets on an enemy that'll die in a single shot (although imps are like the last enemy you can somewhat kill in 1 shell reliably). If you miss a shot, you also won't be too exposed to the wrath of hitscan enemies, especially chaingunners.

Super shotgun: Use at close to mid range. It takes twice as long to reload but it deals about 3 times more damage than the shotgun. Trivializes pinkies, lost souls and offers a great one on one option against almost every heavy demon in the game and is even usable on bosses in a pinch. Use in hallways to cut through hordes of weak enemies. In prolonged fights with tough enemies, you'll save ammo due to the extra damage output (You can kill cacodemons with 2 SSG blasts while the shotgun could take up to 7 shots). Just make sure you don't miss, that long reload time will leave you exposed.

If you suspect any sort of shenanigans -- an oddly quiet key pickup, a blind elevator, a teleport pad where you don't know the destination -- have the plasma gun out. The chaingun also works if you don't have plasma since you want something you can spray and pray at anything that moves and hopefully get some stuns, but plasma is definitely preferred.

• Practice evasive movements (this includes strafing and moving quickly around enemies.)
  • DO NOT use the super shotgun on imps, Zombiemen, or Sergeants unless necessary! ammo conservation is key.
  • If you are low on ammo, utilize infighting
  • Take cover when under fire from Hitscanners (Zombiemen, Sergeants, and Chaingunners) and come out and fire when they stop shooting
  • Fall back if you are overwhelmed by enemies
  • Use the chaingun and rocket launcher to snipe enemies from a distance.

- don't listen to albums which are named after their numerical position in the band's discography

I got one. Use the mouse too, even if you're not using freelook.

You probably already follow this tip, but if you don't, yeah, keyboard-only is just going to be annoying to work with. I learned this the hard way myself years ago, making me switch to always using the mouse in Doom.

Also, another 1. Avoid invisibility spheres. They make dodging visible projectiles harder since the angle is unpredictable.

23 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

Avoid invisibility spheres. They make dodging visible projectiles harder since the angle is unpredictable.

They're great for hitscanners tho. Check to see what kind of enemies are ahead to see if you should grab it.

I even expand first rule into: don't go to the point where you've been before at combat (especially helpful for slaughters).

Another tip is to not be afraid/ashamed to play lower difficulty if you can't manage provided/expected difficulty. At the first time you need to learn all monsters patterns and engine features. Iterative approach rules

6 hours ago, Redoom said:

Got any tips for New Doomers?

Damaging sectors damage a player at the same time the player's weapon is in the leftmost or rightmost position on the screen

Secret pro tip I learned is that if you save looking to the left of the red door standing in the middle of the gap between both floors in Hell Beneath and load game you will fall through the floor and be stuck forever.

Secret strat, tell no one, endless applications.

The BFG rays don't come from the BFG blast, they come from you.  And they emit in the direction you were facing the moment you pulled the BFG trigger.  And they emit once the BFG blast hits something.  So even if you're in a totally different room than the BFG fireball when it explodes and not looking at it in any way, as long as you're facing exactly the same direction you were when you pulled the trigger you will explode anything in front of you.  The farther off you are from the right direction, the fewer rays there will be (the opposite direction means you emit no rays at all)

Nice and intuitive no

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Secret pro tip I learned is that if you save looking to the left of the red door standing in the middle of the gap between both floors in Hell Beneath and load game you will fall through the floor and be stuck forever.

I'm gonna try it out sometime

5 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Secret strat, tell no one, endless applications.

Some arcane magic must be kept secret.

• Never underestimate low-tier demons
  • RNG is Law
  • Learn to strafe-run
  • Don't panic when you see an Archvile
  • Prioritise hitscanners
  • Lower the difficulty if needed. You don't have to play on UV all the time if you don't want to.
  • Make sure to read the WAD's txt file so you don't look like a dingus
  • Have fun!

The shotgun spread is not tighter, it just doesn't have any vertical component. So it's pretty decent for mid-range sniping.

Watch speedruns every now and then, even if you don't intend on speedrunning. Helps you learn a lot of strategies. Also, just play the game. There really are no shortcuts to getting good. You're gonna get pissed.

Pro tip.

When you've first installed Doom2 and a source port. Download the wad Sunder and load it up by dragging and dropping it on said source port.

Everything you play after this wad will be ridiculously easy in comparison.

It will punish newbie mistakes ruthlessly and you will finish this wad as not a newbie but a man carved of stone.

I guess my first advice for new Doomers is to use the right tool for the right job in combat.  Here's my suggestions for that

Fist: Great with Berserk against Pinkies and Spectres.  Everything else that shoots projectiles requires a lot of practice to get good at.  Don't recommend for hitscanners what-so-ever.

Chainsaw: Best weapon to use when conserving ammo.  Best used against demons with low pain chances (Pinkies, Imps, Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Arachnotrons, Spectres, Cacodemons)  Not recommended for large groups of enemies (unless you can filter them one by one), enemies with higher pain chances, and hitscanners.  Make sure you have sufficient space and cover to dip around when using this!

Pistol: Accurate at long ranges on first shot, otherwise not very good at all.  Jack of no trades, master of none.

Shotgun: Best weapon for weak enemies (imps and below) when you have sufficient cover to back around to compensate for it's reload time.  It also covers good ground at long range, something that the SSG is inefficient at doing.

SSG: Best weapon for mid-tier enemies at close range (Chaingunners and up), when you have sufficient cover to back around to compensate for it's reload time.  Don't use at long range

Chaingun: Best weapon for large crowds of hitscanners by a very wide-margin.  The fact this weapon is automatic-hitscan and hitscanners have such low-health, results in putting them down quicker than any other. Quite possibly your most versatile weapon in the game, it's also great for stun-locking enemies with lower pain chances (see Chainsaw) and sniping enemies from afar by tapping the fire button.  More effective at disposing lower-tier enemies than the Plasma Rifle, but not as good at dispatching mid-tier and above.

Rocket Launcher: Best weapon for 1. Clusters of various-tiered enemies at a mid-range distance 2. Singular high-tier enemies at a mid-range distance.  Not recommended for short-range (you'll die) or long-range (you'll likely miss).

Plasma Rifle: Best weapon for mid-tier enemies up close (Chaingunners and up), provided you DON'T have any corners and covers to retrieve to...unlike the SSG.  This weapon should primarily be seen as your "panic button" in dire situations.  This weapon is also best at stun-locking enemies with higher pain chances.  Not good at long range.

BFG 9000: The weapon with the largest learning curve, but the one that reaps the most rewards.  To learn how to use this weapon effectively you must do your research on how the invisible cone of tracers work.  When you do, you'll find this is by-far the best weapon to use up close against large swarms of enemies...provided you have some space to maneuver around in.  If you have no space to work around and you are surrounded, default to the Plasma Rifle for it's better ability to stun lock enemies up close.  This weapon also has the great ability to cheese enemies in one shot up close, some of these including the Spider Mastermind, Baron of Hell, and the Archvile.

Edited by Robo_Cola

-The Berserk powerup lasts the entire level, use it to save ammo against low-tier monsters when there's not much going around.

-Learn how to make monsters infight each other, it saves you lots of ammo and time.

-SSG is extremely powerful (possibly even OP sometimes ) and is very useful for many situations like taking down demons with chunky HP quickly (Hell Knights, Mancubus, Revenant etc.) or clearing a room filled with low-tier demons.

-Move constantly (although not always), Doomguy's biggest strength is his speed.

-Funnel monsters if you can by constantly opening and closing the door in their room, you can do this by repeatedly pressing the use key.

-Don't use rockets near Pain Elementals, you're just asking yourself to get killed.

-By tapping the fire button, you can snipe with the Chaingun as the first two shots are very accurate.

-Learn how to circle strafe, it's beat out tons of monster projectiles such as Hell Knight/Baron of Hell fireballs or even Revenant missiles.