Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

DOOM Gaming on LINUX

Hi.

I was wondering what the state of DOOM gaming is on Linux?

I really really really want to dump Windows 10 (and 11) badly...

But I don't want to do without modern DOOM and associated tools

I know GZDoom has a version for Ubuntu and otherwise just provides the sourcecode.

Ultimate DOOM Builder doesnt seem to have a Linux precompiled version, just the source code?

Slade has what they call a flat pack?

From Slade's website ( http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads )

Linux Downloads

SLADE is available for linux as a Flatpak on flathub. The flathub page has instructions on how to install.
For information about other installation options in linux, see here.

I guess SLADE, UDB and GZDoom are the 3 most important pieces of software for modern DOOMING...

Noesis is only for windows, any linux alternative?

Maverick has no Linux binary but has the source code

Anything I've missed? And any signs of DOOM gaming and editing on Linux will become easier in the future?

I likely missed a few essential tools for modding in my list...

It seems a "complete precompiled packedge" for Debian/Ubuntu/Pop OS and one for Arch/Manjaro is missing

There is a good editor called Eureka for linux. 99% of source ports have linux versions. UDB can be compiled on linux or it can be run through wine. Most windows only programs will work pretty much issue free through wine. SLADE flatpak works pretty well, flatpak is just a way to distribute linux programs more easily, it's pretty neat.

23 minutes ago, Linuxmaster1992 said:

There is a good editor called Eureka for linux. 99% of source ports have linux versions. UDB can be compiled on linux or it can be run through wine. Most windows only programs will work pretty much issue free through wine. SLADE flatpak works pretty well, flatpak is just a way to distribute linux programs more easily, it's pretty neat.

Thanks.

I will have to try Eureka.

I am planning on installing Manjaro on a Ryzen 3 2200G system and Pop OS on a Ryzen 3 3200G system, both with 8 GB of DDR4 2666 memory and both using their iGPU.

And I want to try and see if both of them can handle my modern doom needs. It seems that Pop OS might have an advantage because there is a precompiled Ubuntu version of GZDoom.

But I need to dig up a lot of information to make it happen.

For example how to just launch a windows program sitting in a folder on a Linux computer.

Eventually I would want to migrate my Ryzen 5 3600 + RX5700XT + 32 GB DDR4 3200 and my i7-6700K + GTX1080 + 16 GB DDR4 2666 to Linux as well.

EDIT

tried Eureka and it seems to only support the vanilla doom map format

Edited by CBM

Both of those systems should be able to handle your dooming needs, I am able to run gzdoom on my crappy laptop, so it should work perfectly on your higher end system.

If you need to compile gzdoom for anything it's not that hard, the only really hard part is getting the dependencies.

WINE is how you launch windows programs. Install it. Then, open your terminal and cd to the directory your windows program is in. Then, in the terminal, type:

wine ./program.exe

it should launch it without an issue 90% of the time

5 minutes ago, Linuxmaster1992 said:

Both of those systems should be able to handle your dooming needs, I am able to run gzdoom on my crappy laptop, so it should work perfectly on your higher end system.

If you need to compile gzdoom for anything it's not that hard, the only really hard part is getting the dependencies.

WINE is how you launch windows programs. Install it. Then, open your terminal and cd to the directory your windows program is in. Then, in the terminal, type:

wine ./program.exe

it should launch it without an issue 90% of the time

cool.

Hopefully Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, Noesis and Maverick can work fine too this way.

And IFAIK Blender is already well supported in Linux.

What about batch files? I use them quite heavily on windows to launch GZDoom with all kinds of crazy mods and stuff

also I guess adding some sort of icon on the desktop and/or menu to launch something like "wine ./udb.exe" or something would be cool

13 minutes ago, CBM said:

What about batch files? I use them quite heavily on windows to launch GZDoom with all kinds of crazy mods and stuff

I don't use these for Doom myself, but there's an equivalent. Here's a small example for launching something in prboom/dsda-doom, GZDoom would be the same and use the same arguments as it does on Windows. glaive.zip

You can run them by opening a terminal in the directory the script file is in and typing

bash glaive.sh

Also, building from source isn't that much of a headache. I don't really map so I haven't messed with many of the Linux mapping applications, but building stuff like prboom and dsda-doom from source is straightforward. It only becomes a hassle if your distro is way out of date for necessary packages or the thing you're building doesn't give you a full list of dependencies.

5 minutes ago, Catoptromancy said:

Dual boot.

I'd rather go full on linux. I've dual booted before but my goal is to completely ditch windows 10.

Windows 10 and now 11 was the last straws

4 minutes ago, Maribo said:

I don't use these for Doom myself, but there's an equivalent. Here's a small example for launching something in prboom/dsda-doom, GZDoom would be the same and use the same arguments as it does on Windows. glaive.zip

You can run them by opening a terminal in the directory the script file is in and typing

bash glaive.sh

Also, building from source isn't that much of a headache. I don't really map so I haven't messed with many of the Linux mapping applications, but building stuff like prboom and dsda-doom from source is straightforward. It only becomes a hassle if your distro is way out of date for necessary packages or the thing you're building doesn't give you a full list of dependencies.

I've never tried to build anything on Linux but I guess if I could find some tutorials and stuff then it shouldnt be to bad I guess

1 hour ago, CBM said:

tried Eureka and it seems to only support the vanilla doom map format

What version of Eureka you tested? Version 1.27b has support for Boom and ZDoom(maybe not modern features, from GZDoom, I didn't test this).

36 minutes ago, Catoptromancy said:

Dual boot.

^This. I too would recommend dual boot. Use windows for UDB and Dooming and Linux for everything else.

I use Linux and FreeBSD mostly.  Eureka is great (I build it from source).  Ultimate Doom Builder is in C# and thus would need Mono to use it (however I have not tried and I doubt it would work).  Slade isn't very good on Linux though, it's a bit buggy compared to Windows.

Pretty much any source port worth its salt runs on Linux.

First of all, Linux is way more customizable: batch files are just clunky shell (bash) scripts. You can use aliases, bash functions, or even define your own scripts.

Here's an example (d4doom):

#!/bin/sh
# d4doom -- Script for launching WADs with the D4V mod made by @Noiser

woof -iwad DOOM2.wad -file $@ D4V.wad -nodeh -deh D4V.deh

Where "$@" stands for "all arguments passed via command line," so when I type "d4doom BACULUS.wad" it expands to:

woof -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file BACULUS.wad D4V.wad -nodeh -deh D4V.deh

Deskop "shortcut icons" are called Desktop entries (Arch Linux's wiki is the best place to find correct/up-to-date information on several Linux topics). Most programs come with such files, but it's trivial to create your own (they're just plain text files). So, if you want a new Desktop shortcut you would:

1. Use the command line to navigate to the Desktop folder
  2. Create the text file with your preferred plain text editor (not Microsoft Word, that's a text processor) following the format specified above

Overall, the DOOM experience is as good as in Windows. My only source of frustration is getting the music to work, but I have so far prevailed.

Last but not least, if you want to check if <package> is available on <Linux distribution> don't just check on the <package> developer's site (what we call in Linux the "upstream") because packages are made by users of <Linux distribution>, so you need to check the repository of <Linux distribution>. Installing packages is usually done by a single command via the <Linux distribution> package manager (THE most important aspect of any Linux distribution). In Arch Linux and Manjaro, for example, you would install mpv as follows:

pacman -S mpv

Arch-based distributions (like Manjaro) and Debian-based distributions (like Ubuntu and Pop!) are the ones with the biggest repositories. There's little you can't find there, and if not, compiling from source is always available. Flatpak is not the usual way to install applications, but an useful alternative nonetheless.

Edited by Dragonker

2 hours ago, CBM said:

Slade has what they call a flat pack? 

I have Slade installed on my Linux laptop, and thankfully Flatpak is fairly easy to work with. Just a few commands to set up, at worst. In fact a few distributions, like Pop OS, have it completely set up out of the box, so you can just browse whatever "app store" program you are given for SLADE.

Things like that are becoming increasingly common, as you can install Flatpak on most if not all modern distributions, and can bundle the correct versions of dependencies, so a Flatpak will be available to a lot more people than a Debian or RPM package (specific to certain distribution families).

Also, it's worth noting that many distributions have Doom source ports in their software repositories. Debian and Ubuntu, for example, have Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, and Doomsday all one command away, thanks to @fabian.

If I or other people are getting too technical and you need something explained, I am happy to do that, just let me know.

1 hour ago, SilentD00mer said:

What version of Eureka you tested? Version 1.27b has support for Boom and ZDoom(maybe not modern features, from GZDoom, I didn't test this).

I tried to open UDMF maps

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

I use Linux and FreeBSD mostly.  Eureka is great (I build it from source).  Ultimate Doom Builder is in C# and thus would need Mono to use it (however I have not tried and I doubt it would work).  Slade isn't very good on Linux though, it's a bit buggy compared to Windows.

Pretty much any source port worth its salt runs on Linux.

Heres to hoping slade and doom builder will someday see linux versions in the various packedge managers

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

^This. I too would recommend dual boot. Use windows for UDB and Dooming and Linux for everything else.

It would seem that it is still needed to run Windows for Doom modding. Hopefully that wont be the case forever.

7 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I have Slade installed on my Linux laptop, and thankfully Flatpak is fairly easy to work with. Just a few commands to set up, at worst. In fact a few distributions, like Pop OS, have it completely set up out of the box, so you can just browse whatever "app store" program you are given for SLADE.

Things like that are becoming increasingly common, as you can install Flatpak on most if not all modern distributions, and can bundle the correct versions of dependencies, so a Flatpak will be available to a lot more people than a Debian or RPM package (specific to certain distribution families).

Also, it's worth noting that many distributions have Doom source ports in their software repositories. Debian and Ubuntu, for example, have Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, and Doomsday all one command away, thanks to @fabian.

If I or other people are getting too technical and you need something explained, I am happy to do that, just let me know.

Thanks. I have only a basic knowledge of Linux as I haven't used it all that much.. yet.

I hope the tech channels are right that Linux will be the future for gaming, since I am really getting sick and tired of Windows and I am not interested in jumping over to Mac.

That leaves Linux and BSD.

And it seems BSD is mostly for servers.

6 minutes ago, CBM said:

Thanks. I have only a basic knowledge of Linux as I haven't used it all that much.. yet.

I hope the tech channels are right that Linux will be the future for gaming, since I am really getting sick and tired of Windows and I am not interested in jumping over to Mac.

There are desktop versions of BSD, but software and hardware support will be very limited. Don't expect to be able to run anything closed-source (unless the developer is a fan of BSD), but about 80% of open-source software for Linux can be compiled for BSD. I have no idea what the state of hardware support is like.

I also hope Linux is the future of gaming, and it's worth noting that Valve seems to believe that too, judging by what they're doing with the Steam Deck. That said, I'm skeptical. It'll take a lot of work for Linux to surpass Windows as a gaming platform, and Linux adoption has a lot of unrelated roadblocks in its way.

19 minutes ago, CBM said:

BSD is not just for servers, it can make a good desktop too.  Just it won't be for gaming and requires you have a pretty decent Unix understanding.

But it can play Doom very nicely.  Eureka works on it, you can compile Slade too.

I'll see what I can do about Doom Builder on Linux.  Why oh why did they use C#

9 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

BSD is not just for servers, it can make a good desktop too.  Just it won't be for gaming and requires you have a pretty decent Unix understanding.

But it can play Doom very nicely.  Eureka works on it, you can compile Slade too.

I'll see what I can do about Doom Builder on Linux.  Why oh why did they use C#

Nice.

Doom Builder is by far the superior level editor. No offence to Eureka, but it just doesnt have all the same features.

I guess I could try to install FreeBSD in a VM in order to try and get to know it.

Is it very similar to Linux or is it something completely different like Windows is?

I am a software developer (on windows) and I guess it would be a very good thing for me to become well versed in both Linux and BSD. I really dislike C# and I am very bad at coding in C# and ASP. I'm better at PHP, JS, C, C++ and Delphi.

Despite all this I am also having trouble to get going in zscript for Doom modding.

It isn't very different.  It has a slightly different (better) file system layout (Debian and Redhat butcher the Linux file system).  It is just that nearly everything needs to be done via a config file or text file, there is no SystemD.  Think Linux in 2005.

Me too :) luckily I use Linux at work too.

I haven't had Windows installed for years, and have had no issues with Doom on Linux.  I haven't used a Flatpak of Slade, but that should be the most straightforward way for you to get that working.  That or check your distro's packages to see if they offer a a package (mine does).

2 hours ago, CBM said:

Hopefully Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, Noesis and Maverick can work fine too this way.

I've been using UDB with Wine for a few years now since it works FAR better than running UDB with Mono.  Specific steps I took to make sure it worked well: using winetricks to install .NET (4.5 I think?  4.7?  Something like that, 4.x), not installing dxvk (it used to completely break it), and using wine-staging instead of standard wine (just to get extra functionality through patches).  Aside from some minor slowdown, it's totally usable, and I've used it for all of my maps since ~2018.

Just now, Gibbon said:

It isn't very different.  It has a slightly different (better) file system layout (Debian and Redhat butcher the Linux file system).  It is just that nearly everything needs to be done via a config file or text file, there is no SystemD.  Think Linux in 2005.

Me too :) luckily I use Linux at work too.

Cool, more and more job listings seems to wish for Linux experience.

I kind of like Linux distributions that doesnt have SystemD (antix and similar), however it seems that for highend gaming rigs it is nessecery to go with a systemd based distribution (manjaro and pop os)

I hope to one day master all te config files that are needed to configure linux :-)

I have actually coded some c for something embedded using linux, some canbus stuff... but otherwise it has been bare metal or some RTOS like Nucleus.

Just now, CBM said:

I kind of like Linux distributions that doesnt have SystemD (antix and similar), however it seems that for highend gaming rigs it is nessecery to go with a systemd based distribution (manjaro and pop os)

Slackware still doesn't have Systemd and works fine as a gaming rig.  It's what I use on all my computers :-P

4 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I haven't had Windows installed for years, and have had no issues with Doom on Linux.  I haven't used a Flatpak of Slade, but that should be the most straightforward way for you to get that working.  That or check your distro's packages to see if they offer a a package (mine does).

I've been using UDB with Wine for a few years now since it works FAR better than running UDB with Mono.  Specific steps I took to make sure it worked well: using winetricks to install .NET (4.5 I think?  4.7?  Something like that, 4.x), not installing dxvk (it used to completely break it), and using wine-staging instead of standard wine (just to get extra functionality through patches).  Aside from some minor slowdown, it's totally usable, and I've used it for all of my maps since ~2018.

That is pretty cool. You ought to do a tutorial on that at some point.

It would be pretty cool if Gibbon was able to do a native Linux version of UDB though.

I guess I should check out Slackware. Does it run with all the bells and stuff like lutris, wine and whatever else that Linux can use to run Linux and Windows games?

I didn’t read all the thread but I’m an old doomer who played Doom (and many other FPSs) only in Linux (Debian now).

In Debian or Ubuntu, you can add the DRD team repository:

deb http://debian.drdteam.org/ stable multiverse

In Debian too, there is a lot of packages dedicated to Doom:

Spoiler

> aptitude search doom
i   chocolate-doom                                     - moteurs Doom fortement compatibles avec le Doom d'origine   
i   crispy-doom                                        - moteur Doom élevant les limites, de résolution moyenne, basé
i   dhewm3-doom3                                       - dhewm3's gamelibrary for the title DOOM³                    
v   doom-engine                                        -                                                             
v   doom-node-builder                                  -                                                             
v   doom-wad                                           -                                                             
v   doom-wad-editor                                    -                                                             
i A doom-wad-shareware                                 - Shareware game files for the 3D game Doom                   
i   doomloader                                         - Perl script to play lots of wads                            
i   doomsday                                           - version améliorée du célèbre jeu DOOM                       
i A doomsday-common                                    - version améliorée du célèbre jeu DOOM –⋅fichiers communs    
i A doomsday-data                                      - version améliorée du célèbre jeu DOOM –⋅fichiers de données 
p   doomsday-server                                    - version améliorée du célèbre jeu DOOM –⋅serveur             
i   doomseeker                                         - Universal cross-platform server browser designed primarily f
i   doomseeker-chocolatedoom                           - Doomseeker plugin providing support for chocolatedoom.      
i   doomseeker-odamex                                  - Doomseeker plugin providing support for odamex.             
i   doomseeker-srb2                                    - Doomseeker plugin providing support for srb2.               
i   doomseeker-turok2ex                                - Doomseeker plugin providing support for turok2ex.           
i   doomseeker-zandronum                               - Doomseeker plugin providing support for zandronum.          
i   doomseeker-zandronumq                              - Doomseeker plugin providing support for zandronumq.         
p   elpa-doom-themes                                   - opinionated pack of modern Emacs color-themes               
i A freedoom                                           - deux campagnes pour un seul joueur pour les moteurs compatib
i   gzdoom                                             - OpenGL version of ZDoom.                                    
p   gzdoom-legacy                                      - Branch of GZDoom for legacy systems.                        
p   gzdoom1                                            - OpenGL version of ZDoom. For users with only OpenGL 2 suppor
i   lzdoom                                             - Fork of GZDoom 3.3.2 for legacy systems.                    
i   qzdoom                                             - Truecolor software rendered version of ZDoom.               
i   rbdoom3bfg                                         - moteur BFG Edition de jeu Doom3                             
i   zdoom                                              - Advanced Doom source port.

I didn’t see eureka in the list but it’s here (and slade too).

1 minute ago, CBM said:

It would be pretty cool if Gibbon was able to do a native Linux version of UDB though.

I'd totally be willing to help Gibbon if they start a port to something other than C#!  I looked into it myself and decided it was a "someday" project for me, once I get around to completing some other projects.

I'll see what I can do to put together a tutorial for getting UDB working on Linux via Wine.  I actually had started with GZDB (yeah I even had that working), so I'm sure my method could use a bit of updating.

4 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I'd totally be willing to help Gibbon if they start a port to something other than C#!  I looked into it myself and decided it was a "someday" project for me, once I get around to completing some other projects.

I'll see what I can do to put together a tutorial for getting UDB working on Linux via Wine.  I actually had started with GZDB (yeah I even had that working), so I'm sure my method could use a bit of updating.

that would be so cool and if slade works too then the main stuff is already there.

Slade apparently isnt running to well in the linux version but then maybe wine could run the windows version of slade

@ducon

pretty cool. I think eureka will be a fine editor for vanilla and limit removing maps and I think I will try and make some limit removing maps with it just to see if I can get used to it.

I can give you a list of what’s running in my old machine (only non-Windows exe games).

2 hours ago, ducon said:

I can give you a list of what’s running in my old machine (only non-Windows exe games).

that would be interesting and

it would also be nice to see what solution you went with for each game

it seems for windows games there are some that will be requiring a real retro rig with a real win 98 se and/or xp:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/423102/windows-10-wont-run-some-older-cd-rom-games-thanks-to-drm.html

there are likely many 98 se and xp games that will run on linux as well but I suspect there will still be some that can't in addition to the ones in the above link, just like windows 10 cant run all older windows games

5 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

I made a post about running GZDoom and desktop drag and drop launchers on Ubuntu a while back:

I also got Slade:

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=wiki&amp;wikipage=Ubuntu-Step-by-Step-Compilation

There's also this:

https://zdoom.org/downloads

Includes GZDoom and crucially ACC (the ACS compiler, essential if building pk3s).

nice, so after creating zscript scripts then the ACS compiler must be run before putting it all in a zip file and renaming it as pk3?

46 minutes ago, CBM said:

so after creating zscript scripts then the ACS

ACS script, not ZScript, but yes.

In PK3 land, the compiled acs scripts live in the /acs namespace.

Take a look at https://github.com/smeghammer/departure and look in the /src/acs directory. Here you will see four files:

- myscripts.acs (plain text source file),

- myscripts.o (compiled bytecode file),

- myscripts.bat - a windows batch file that accepts drag and drop filename

- the 'myscripts' dummy file (this just allows me to be lazy and drag and drop  this file as a name placeholder onto the batch file rather than edit a script every time).

I have a similar .sh file on my Ubuntu machine. 

As you probably know, the compiled PK3 is just the directory structure zipped up and given a.pk3 extension. You'll find that in the /compiled directory.