Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

Can Revenants be damaged by their own missiles?

Can Revenants be damaged by their own homing missiles or the missiles from other Revenants?

How many missiles does it take to kill them?

Do straight firing or homing missiles do the same damage as each other?

Good question and answer.

FWIW the reason that no attacker may be hit by its own missile is because missiles are spawned at the same coordinates as the attacker -- that is to say, inside it. So if a missile could collide with its own creator, it would explode immediately on launch :).

For the same reason, one cannot be hit by one's own bullet/hitscan.

15 hours ago, Shepardus said:

No; in general, projectiles will not do damage to monsters of the same type, and will also pass through the monster that fired them (so if revenant A fires a missile, the missile will pass through revenant A

That's too bad, part of me wishes a revenant could damage themself with their own homing missile. That would have been a somewhat pointless but cool tech.

Also worth noting that, despite clearly being explosives, Revenant missiles do not deal splash damage like rockets, so you can't get them to kill themselves that way either. The only enemies that can kill themselves (without the assistance of barrels) are Archviles, since their attack inflicts splash damage, but to say making them do that is impractical is an understatement.

Yeah the way they were implemented was very strange.  But considering Doom 2 was rushed, Carmack probably just quickly added some extra stuff and that's that.  Would be interesting to 'fix' it in a source port.  To make the projectiles spawn 1 pixel ahead and to have it tagged as its own entity, to make it damaging to all and to add splash damage.

No. I was testing out my wad and there were too much revenants and the room was (uh) not made to dodge their fireballs so i made one throw a ball to the back to the other and it just clipped over him. no damage, nothing.

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Yeah the way they were implemented was very strange.  But considering Doom 2 was rushed, Carmack probably just quickly added some extra stuff and that's that.  Would be interesting to 'fix' it in a source port.  To make the projectiles spawn 1 pixel ahead and to have it tagged as its own entity, to make it damaging to all and to add splash damage.

It'd be probably possible in gzdoom but gzdoom kinda sucks tbh. there are so many better ports. and it'd be cool if like boom or mbf could have made more scripting compatibility but they didn't.

Edit: I think it's possible to make the revenant shoot cyberdemon rockets (or such thing similar) and it'd work!

6 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

No. I was testing out my wad and there were too much revenants and the room was (uh) not made to dodge their fireballs so i made one throw a ball to the back to the other and it just clipped over him. no damage, nothing.

It'd be probably possible in gzdoom but gzdoom kinda sucks tbh. there are so many better ports. and it'd be cool if like boom or mbf could have made more scripting compatibility but they didn't.

Edit: I think it's possible to make the revenant shoot cyberdemon rockets (or such thing similar) and it'd work!

I mean in the C code directly ;) might have to take a look.  Could be fun.

59 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

Or you could probably modify revenant missiles in DeHackEd and give them the A_Explode pointer on one of their frames, that might work :P I haven't used DHE in while though.

Revenants can't be damaged by their missiles because of two reasons:

1)It doesn't create a blast radius, like the player's rockets/cyberdemon's rockets

2)Even if you manage to target his missiles "against" him, they will just pass through

Regarding reason 2, the monsters and the player cannot hit with their OWN projectiles (they just won't collide)

No. In order for them to be damaged by their own missiles, they would need to inflict splash damage, as @RevenantFTS97 and @SynDoom mentioned.

Only problem with that, is that if one revenant is hit by another revenant's missile, they could possibly infight.

A solution to that problem, at least for Eternity and GZDoom, is to give them the NORADIUSDMG flag in EDF and DECORATE/Zscript, respectively.

Allow me to demonstrate.

RevSplashEDF.zip

Edited by HavoX : Changed filename; I forgot to mention, this requires Eternity.