Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatup876

Thread about Eternal fan demons designs or fan attempts at reviving unused/concept demons

Recommended Posts

Something that i think is underrated in the fanbase side of things is both A: Fanmade demons/monster for Eternal (like how people did it for classic Doom and its mods or even just fan designs in fanart) and B: Attempts at resurrecting concept art/unused designs/demons, specially in case id Soft never uses some stuff.

So it's fans either bringing something cool to life or showing how there's a lot that can still be done with modern Doom to keep it fresh. (and expand its universe)

 

Because i thought this topic could earn a thread on its own, i... just made it. but here's what comes to mind:

* Aggronize did a design for the Screecher that turns it into a demonic nun.

* "Evolution" of the D64 PE with 3 mouths by GRUB LORD. (he also did MineCraft creatures in the style of Doom Eternal)

* LeoSaurusR3x Once did a Super Marauder, based on an official design from concept art and made it into a 3D model.

* Wad overdose made some sprites on that "share your sprites" thread where some were based off fanmade Eternal monsters by Nate Welch/jw_art. (Nate even goes on detail about how his designs can play)(Wad overdose also did some cancelled Doom 4 stuff in that thread too)

* FooSarr made a bunch of videos about concepts he thinks could work in Doom Eternal or Doom in general and one he made about an "ogre demon" was inspired by that Sentinel golem creature from that one Sentinel army concept art.

* FooSarr's ogre demon concept video also used art from akuma-matata/Rafael Ramos Jansson as reference, who made a lot of art about Eternal demon concepts he came up with.

* Cromsferatu made that one purple slime Chaingunner (who changed it a bit because of UnderTheMayo) and someone on r/Doom called anotherweirdo-online did both another Eternal Chaingunner and a take on Doom 3's Maggot.

* SterlingFM_ recreated Cromsferatu's Chaingunner with a 3D model and made a short SFM video with it.

* UnderTheMayo's video on the Cyber-Cacodemon. (iit lives in KaiserCampaign 2.0 too)

* I just recalled Delta's experiments with his master levels and the Marauder having the spinning burning iron around him.

* Some Eternal mods have custom demon types like the "cursed Pinky" or "fallen angel" based off the Blood Maykr.

* DOOMGUYBOT made a video about unused "gold" variants of the Doom Hunter and Gladiator, one of them was even used in a mod.

* Someone on Twitter called owlgoddessart recreated the D3 Bruiser in Eternal's style.

* tinman888 did a lot of Eternal versions of 1/64 designs, even demons like the PE and Mancubus from 64 and the Revenant from 3.

* bollz07 on Twitter did a design for the Eye Turret that looks like one of its concept designs.

* There's probably a bunch of DW/Reddit posts where people just write ideas for demons and enemies but most of my examples come with visual stuff.

Whatever other examples exist could increase this list.

A thread like this is mostly made for interest and give a spotlight to neat fan content, even if it could make more sense on a different subforum and isn't going to get anyone hired at id but still.

 

Here's some links related to above (hope i didn't fuck up):

 

Even if some more complex ideas don't make it in an actual DE mod, i guess there's always Slayer's Testaments for Quake and those Doom backport/legacy style mods (D4V, D4T, D4D, Kar En Tuk, Embers of Armageddon, DE XP, MetaDoom etc), unless some designs need something more than low poly models and sprites.

And only vaguely related but i hope the concept of a Hell Razer having a triple laser beam isn't left in Mighty Doom and seeing Kenneth Scott recreating the Birdman from D3 and what Gregor Punchatz is currently doing with his classic models makes me think id could consider working with them again.

Sort of gives me vibes similar to Doom Delta/Tei Tenga incident, that D64 project from GEC inc with the unused enemies and the D3 Arachnotron in mods like that Phobos one. (just remembered a D3 mod that tried to recreate enemies from RPG but forgot what it's called)

 

I do wonder if someone tried to make enemies out of existing models like the Urdak Archangel floating cross and that cross shaped ship from Immora.

Other examples that came late are the "Cyber Revenant" based on the Plasma Powered event and an Armored Baron model that paints it red like its official concept.

Share this post


Link to post

From what i understood last time, it seemed to me that Gregor Punchatz might be working on recreaging the Doom 64 monsters he did. Looking forward! 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Someone made a race of demons inspired by some 2016 armor sets.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/rv16y2/deraki_warriors_a_race_of_intelligent_demons_from/

The drawing is by wanderlustt8 and the story they come from is by infinitypilot.

 

edit: this concept of a rifle grunt

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/rwyonc/doom_eternal_rifle_grunt_concept/

Baby Cacos are now a thing on Eternal

Infernal Whiplash

I will say, something about remote detonation to destroy the shield seems weird, not even in the same realm of how TAG handled enemies being killed with specific mods and methods.

Edited by whatup876 : edit instead of new post

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, whatup876 said:

Someone made a race of demons inspired by some 2016 armor sets.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/rv16y2/deraki_warriors_a_race_of_intelligent_demons_from/

The drawing is by wanderlustt8 and the story they come from is by infinitypilot.

 

Wow! Wasn't expecting to find my story here! But yeah, "Day of Wrath" is a Doom fanfic I'm working on that'll incorporate ALL of Doom and a lot of community content into a single cohesive storyline, but I'm also adding a ton of powers, weapons, locations, characters, but especially demons! Each with unique and interesting powersets! There'll be obscure monsters and variants from other Doom games like Doom 3, 64, the RPGs, but also from mods like Project Brutality.
You can find a short descriptive list of my fanfic's current bestiary here.

 

At this point in the story, I've already introduced the Doom 3 Maggot, the Doom 2016 Harvester, and the Cyber Paladin from Project Brutality. I've also come up with all-new enemies inspired by the Demonic, Robotic, Utilitarian, and Cyberdemonic armors from Doom 2016. The Utilitarian ones are mechanically inspired by the Pilots from Titanfall, and they also have their own UAC mechs!

 

Other than that, there's the Dust Devil (a little hazardous wind vortex) and Mimics that can disguise themselves as keycards, weapons, or health packs. There's also gonna be cyberized versions of most of the base monsters, which at this point include the Cyber Caco, Cyber Revenant, and Cyber Knight. One of my favorites is this Velcore (source) that uses its spike tail to hook demons away from the Slayer, and can shoot beams from its eye to kill injured demons, all with the goal of preventing him from recovering health and ammo.

 

1741226085_Velcore(HenrikHokby).jpg.f1710c6e7eb9da692f67749cef9c6b59.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Saw what i assume is supposed to be a purple slime monster with mimic-like abilities.

The description may not be clear from the images.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/t66xpf/my_idea_for_a_custom_demon/

Someone in the comments even compares it to the Spawn of Quake 1.

 

March 9th edit: seems tinman888 made this Hellhound for Eternal.

https://brandon_chen.artstation.com/projects/wJAvL9

 

11/12 edit: someone's take on the Dark Lord.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/m21zsy/dark_lord_slayer_skin/

Edited by whatup876 : adding more

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2022 at 9:52 PM, InfinityPilot said:

 

Wow! Wasn't expecting to find my story here! But yeah, "Day of Wrath" is a Doom fanfic I'm working on that'll incorporate ALL of Doom and a lot of community content into a single cohesive storyline, but I'm also adding a ton of powers, weapons, locations, characters, but especially demons! Each with unique and interesting powersets! There'll be obscure monsters and variants from other Doom games like Doom 3, 64, the RPGs, but also from mods like Project Brutality.
You can find a short descriptive list of my fanfic's current bestiary here.

 

At this point in the story, I've already introduced the Doom 3 Maggot, the Doom 2016 Harvester, and the Cyber Paladin from Project Brutality. I've also come up with all-new enemies inspired by the Demonic, Robotic, Utilitarian, and Cyberdemonic armors from Doom 2016. The Utilitarian ones are mechanically inspired by the Pilots from Titanfall, and they also have their own UAC mechs!

 

Other than that, there's the Dust Devil (a little hazardous wind vortex) and Mimics that can disguise themselves as keycards, weapons, or health packs. There's also gonna be cyberized versions of most of the base monsters, which at this point include the Cyber Caco, Cyber Revenant, and Cyber Knight. One of my favorites is this Velcore (source) that uses its spike tail to hook demons away from the Slayer, and can shoot beams from its eye to kill injured demons, all with the goal of preventing him from recovering health and ammo.

 

1741226085_Velcore(HenrikHokby).jpg.f1710c6e7eb9da692f67749cef9c6b59.jpg

Slick. I'm a big eternal/alien fan

I think they could have thrown a couple of unique bosses at the end of the levels. Don't get me wrong, they did a fantastic job, but they could have had some really cool looking demon ideas, like this dude.

 

I wish the empowered demons were like right big, and had way more hp. For some reason I've often thought it'd be fun to fight a cacodemon that's like 3x their normal size. Be quite a scene if a gigantic caco showed up in the big arena in gorenest or something like that

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/q3m246/doomtober_day_7_archdemons_i_ended_up_using_the/

One of them is from the art book and the 2 others are the artist's interpretations of demon lords.

 

edit as of 11/April: saw this fanmade Cacodemon render with some extra teeth, by Nathan Nembhard but the main source is gone. so i used a resource, being a blog that shares other cool Doom content.

https://imx-doomer.tumblr.com/post/178697144962/doom-cacodemon-fan-sculpt-by-nathan-nembhard#notes

Edited by whatup876 : just adding more

Share this post


Link to post

I just posted chapter 10 of my Doom fanfic "Day of Wrath," and we had a lot of classic and obscure demons return, each with new looks and powersets! The Sawcubus, Ghoul Revenant, Nightmare Imps, Hell Hunters, Z-Sec Troopers, beta Lost Souls (renamed "Forgotten Souls"), the Cherubs (renamed "Putti"), Bruiser Knight, even the Mother Demon!

This first drawing of the Mother Demon was drawn by ArdathLilitu

1692811154_motherdemonnolights.jpg.679fa34cb49fa3a48f2e41b5c455ec76.jpg

 

This was the inspiration for the new Z-Sec Troopers, a drawing by u/Zawrid.

9j6hz0n04py41.png.d28b978c145ff4a81842ebb074a5ccb9.png

 

The Splicers, based on early Prowler concepts from The Art of Doom.

j7xkX3f.jpg.2b8487eec478c502ff562e0739c02cba.jpg

The Nightmare Imps, inspired by Doom 64, Doom 3, and another early Prowler concept.

IsOGWrU.jpg.6b0da4f7778a0af12fefb37244ce7799.jpg

 

And finally, the Ghoul Revenant. It has the Doom 3 look but the name of a Doom RPG Revenant variant. This modern fanart was drawn by Brandon Chen.

1CkBzNu.jpg.698a87643241a7a6d3d8ea3c7d1481a3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Ooh, I also wanted to share this new enemy design I came up with for my story.

 

It's called the Glitcher, and it's basically a revamped Tentacle Commando from Doom 3, though mechanically inspired by the Twitchers from Dead Space.

In terms of origin, the Glitcher is a corrupted UAC Elite Guard from Doom 2016.

 

This was drawn by Kuddly Kraken#9037 on Discord.

glitcher.png.37a9f173f4c24a7f8e6b1b35d719d161.png

Share this post


Link to post

Slayer's Testaments now includes the Cyber Caco thought out by Mayo, a version of the Immora guy with different guns and a Hellknight using the "classic" look from the Gladiator.

According to a YT comment, ShadesMan is aware of fan designs like the Wendigo.

He even mentions something about drawing inspiration from Realm667.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, whatup876 said:

March 9th edit: seems tinman888 made this Hellhound for Eternal.

https://brandon_chen.artstation.com/projects/wJAvL9

 

If id were ever to implement the Hellhound I would like it to be more akin to the one from Doom 64 concept art. With both of its heads shooting from their mouths, one head shoots projectiles, some of which require dash in order to avoid them, and the other shoots hitscan laser which requires jumping over it, similarly to Hellrazer attack. It also turns into specter mode while it tries to flank you with a melee attack when you are engaging someone else. It's weakness are it's heads, but shot off heads regrow after some time interval if you don't kill it before that. Heavy demon of course.

I would like the Hellhound to be fleshy, muscular with big teeth, horns and claws. Also would be cool for it to have multiple tails with spikes along the entire spine. The size of this beast would be a bit bigger than a Pinky. I would like it to have tissue regeneration, which enables weak point regeneration (regrowing it's heads) and looks cool as hell. It's weakness could be the Destroyer Blade which would be the only weapon that can cut off both of its heads at once, after which it would be forced to specter melee you with its paws or tail/tails. Would be cool if someone could draw a concept of this.

Edited by MrHofmann

Share this post


Link to post

The idea of making sure both regenerative heads are dead to kill it sounds interesting.

My interpretation of the D64 Hellbound would be a faster/weaker Pinky-like melee beast, whose unique ability is to eat certain enemy corpses for strength.

But yours sounds great.

 

The heads using 2 attacks types for the same time could also work with the cut D64 "double" Cyberdemon, since a modern iteration would use the attacks from the 2016 Cybie and/or Tyrant.

But this red Cybie could also have a "classic" rocket attack like the original Cyberdemon but shooting 2 rockets at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2022 at 2:50 PM, MrHofmann said:

 

If id were ever to implement the Hellhound I would like it to be more akin to the one from Doom 64 concept art. With both of its heads shooting from their mouths, one head shoots projectiles, some of which require dash in order to avoid them, and the other shoots hitscan laser which requires jumping over it, similarly to Hellrazer attack. It also turns into specter mode while it tries to flank you with a melee attack when you are engaging someone else. It's weakness are it's heads, but shot off heads regrow after some time interval if you don't kill it before that. Heavy demon of course.

I would like the Hellhound to be fleshy, muscular with big teeth, horns and claws. Also would be cool for it to have multiple tails with spikes along the entire spine. The size of this beast would be a bit bigger than a Pinky. I would like it to have tissue regeneration, which enables weak point regeneration (regrowing it's heads) and looks cool as hell. It's weakness could be the Destroyer Blade which would be the only weapon that can cut off both of its heads at once, after which it would be forced to specter melee you with its paws or tail/tails. Would be cool if someone could draw a concept of this.

 

The artist Mechanubis did lots of concept redesigns of classic Doom demons.

 

Their concept of the Doom 3 Maggot sounds a lot like your idea for the Hellhound.

 

d5y7fp6-a2e1dac9-c967-4cb1-b712-c6fa573c59bb.jpg.61970952e6eded5c68556d0b24ae34f3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

I think the Maledict's tongue having a head could even inspire a weak spot.

The Sentinels also have dragons (Wintherin), so a corrupted version of that can work. (the lore also states that Gargoyles came from their world)

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I think the Maledict's tongue having a head could even inspire a weak spot.

The Sentinels also have dragons (Wintherin), so a corrupted version of that can work. (the lore also states that Gargoyles came from their world)

 

Yeah, the demonic Wintherin appeared in The Ancient Gods 2, though as a matter of fact I'm also including a redesigned Maledict for my Day of Wrath story. It'll debut fairly soon, so you can check out the earlier chapters to get the proper context.

emerson-tung-de-char-wintherin-3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×