Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychadelicGumballMachine

6.66 Update Crashes

Hi everyone, 

Never been a part of a forum before, so I'm brand new here.

I'd like to know if anyone else is having trouble with Doom Eternal since the 6.66 update. I don't really know anything about computers technically and I had to apparently update some drivers to download the 6.66 update. Since then, the game has been nearly unplayable, and I mean that in the most literal sense. I cannot get any of the master levels to load consistently (I got through ARC Complex once) in addition even the regular campaigns are starting to freeze on me. I tried playing The Holt from TAG1 and even that is now freezing.  I can click on the level get to the load screen with the tips you can cycle through, it says Press Spacebar to start and once I do, the game freezes and you have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out and start over (this happens on almost everything now).  This never happened before the 6.66 update, I believe I got one crash one time while playing.  Also, my PC is pretty new (I got it in March of this year) so I don't think it's my PC going bad.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  This is my favorite game of all time. I'd like to be able to play it again.

Edited by PsychadelicGumballMachine

Also, test performances in other games. If you get problems in other games, it's a general thing (maybe new drivers). If you've only got problems in DE, then it's something more specific.

PS: change the title to something more explanatory like "6.66 update crashes" or "(Issue) 6.66 update" so more people can address the thread.

Edited by Martin-CAI

Thanks for the tip I'll try to be more specific next time.  I tried logging in hoping it would work this time (it didn't, I tried booting up TAG2 this go around, three times) and each time it froze.  At least when signing in, you were greeted with the attached message.  I tried reverting to the driver specified, but apparently that option was not available to me as the Roll Back Driver option on my computer was grayed out.  Again, not too familiar with computers, but I believe that means the newer drivers deleted the older ones, which accounts for not being able to roll back to the previous ones.

Thanks for the replies, at least now we know it's a DE problem and not a general one.

Doom Eternal Crash.png

On 11/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, PsychadelicGumballMachine said:

Doom Eternal Crash.png

I got a similar box telling me to update my AMD Radeon drivers which I did. Haven't experienced any issues. Could be an Nvidia thing?

Also can confirm I'm suddenly getting the same popup and then instant crash when attempting to start The Ancient Gods since the 6.66 update.

Driver version is 496.49 so am hoping it's been fixed in the latest 496.76?

Khola,

Yes the 496.76 driver should fix the crash problem. I downloaded it yesterday and since then I've played multiple times: playing a level, leaving the game coming back later to try and test it out and I haven't had a single crash. Hope it works for you.

Hey guys!

I'm currently on 496.76 and I've been having those crash right after the driver warning popup before the 6.66 update so I'm not sure what's causing it but it's pretty annoying, especially since I could play perfectly fine a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for a solution for days now and can't find anything. I've verified game files integrity, disabled Steam overlays, tried launching the .exe as admin and even reinstalled the whole game but no dice, it keeps crashing. I guess I'll just stop playing for now and wait for a solution from either Doom's dev or Nvidia.