Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

What beta or unused enemies did the classic Doom series have?

I know an alpha build of Doom had a white Lost Soul with a different attack. Were there any other early release games that had different enemies or were there unused enemies from any classic Doom series game that never made it into the final game?

You can find some interesting things about Doom before its official release into the Doom Bible (for context, the Doom Bible is some kind of a diary of the very first conception of the game)

Or with this video (A very interesting unofficial video of IdSoftware offices)

Plus... I saw somewhere that the spider mastermind have some unused sprite where you can see him use magic, and Romero confirmed it was first intented that he would be a big caster and not a hitscan boss.

An unused concept mention a zombieman variant with a higher firerate dropping a machinegun as a pickable weapon (surely the ancestor of the chaingunner).

25 minutes ago, Briøche said:

Plus... I saw somewhere that the spider mastermind have some unused sprite where you can see him use magic, and Romero confirmed it was first intented that he would be a big caster and not a hitscan boss.

The inspiration for the Mother Demon?

Spidermind was always intended to have a gun, they were just thinking they'd maybe have him use magic too. The way Romero told of it in brief was that it would use magic to hold the player in place, then shoot you to pieces with its gun.

If you haven't seen Netflix's "High Score" episode 6 - check that out for the "unused enemies" category - Romero's original brainstorm sketches on demon entries...