Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

The UnMaking: 40 visions of madness for Doom 64 (VERSION 2.6!)

just finished Map39 on Watch Me Die after being stuck dying a lot for almost 2 hours (wish i knew the trick to beat it earlier) and idk what to do with my life now...

10/10 i would beat UnMaking again now with fastmonsters on but im already satisfied beating it at normal speed thanks

nice job with this maps, Prismatagoria is my favorite map of this megawad :3

16 hours ago, Jetx_121 said:

just finished Map39 on Watch Me Die after being stuck dying a lot for almost 2 hours (wish i knew the trick to beat it earlier) and idk what to do with my life now...

10/10 i would beat UnMaking again now with fastmonsters on but im already satisfied beating it at normal speed thanks

nice job with this maps, Prismatagoria is my favorite map of this megawad :3

Thank you! Just out of curiosity, what is the trick to beat map39?

On 11/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

Thank you! Just out of curiosity, what is the trick to beat map39?

idk if that's the way to beat the map but you can just kill the first boss and go pacifist the rest of the level making the barons infight the motherdemons using her projectiles, i beated it with a few barons left, while i was playing i noticed some monsters were attacking the boss so i thought "maybe i should try infighting", restarted the map, tried it, and it worked ._.

oh and dumb question, is map40 actually unbeatable?

edit: my bad, on the final round i used the bfg because i ran out of barons, but i still cheesed most of the map like that after round one or two... quick saving may have something related but im not sure.

Edited by Jetx_121 : me dumb, wasn't very clear and forgot stuff :I

3 hours ago, Jetx_121 said:

idk if that's the way to beat the map but you can just kill the first boss and go pacifist the rest of the level making the barons infight the motherdemons using her projectiles, i beated it with a few barons left, while i was playing i noticed some monsters were attacking the boss so i thought "maybe i should try infighting", restarted the map, tried it, and it worked ._.

Oh, that's totally encouraged! It gets easier and easier to trigger infighting as she lowers, and I balanced the ammo with the intent that it would get really hard to finish her off by yourself. I'm surprised you could survive the arachnotron wave pacifist though.

3 hours ago, Jetx_121 said:

oh and dumb question, is map40 actually unbeatable?

Yes, I tried to make that as clear as possible in the text screen. All of the arenas will just start repeating if you manage to survive long enough.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, Immorpher said:

Wooo new patch out! And for anyone who missed it in the last Doom Master Wadazine, here's the poster for the UnMaking!

it means that is available on the last doom 64 port made by bethesda too?

8 hours ago, elden4 said:

it means that is available on the last doom 64 port made by bethesda too?

Yes it should automatically install on the bethesda version too, but we didn't have anyone to officially test it. So hopefully it works right away for you, and if not let me know and I can see what might be going on.

Hey all! New version is on the way to fix the few remaining bugs I'm aware of. Thanks to @Immorpher though we're now aware of a way to replace the Doom 64 logo with an UnMaking one, so if anyone has the art skills to cook something up in that style, I'm happy to pay for your time. EDIT: I'm working with someone now to create a logo for the next release!

Edited by Ryath (aka scwiba)

45 minutes ago, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

Hey all! New version is on the way to fix the few remaining bugs I'm aware of. Thanks to @Immorpher though we're now aware of a way to replace the Doom 64 logo with an UnMaking one, so if anyone has the art skills to cook something up in this style, I'm happy to pay for your time.

2.png.cdaec989d2dbd3ee2f793a336682032c.png

@Ryath (aka scwiba) I remember the first porting of doom64 for PC several years ago, it contained the original levels plus a couple new ones that fitted very well with the originals, a guy called Villareal was involved, there were also a couple of nice episodes, outcast and redemption. Are those packs compatible with this release?

1 hour ago, nicolas monti said:

@Ryath (aka scwiba) I remember the first porting of doom64 for PC several years ago, it contained the original levels plus a couple new ones that fitted very well with the originals, a guy called Villareal was involved, there were also a couple of nice episodes, outcast and redemption. Are those packs compatible with this release?

Pretty sure you mean the Absolution TC for Doomsday. It had some extra levels which I believe @AtomicFrog is working on porting over to Doom 64: Retribution. I don't think any of the Absolution content is available for the official port but I could be wrong. @Immorpher would know.

2 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

I remember the first porting of doom64 for PC several years ago, it contained the original levels plus a couple new ones that fitted very well with the originals, a guy called Villareal was involved, there were also a couple of nice episodes, outcast and redemption. Are those packs compatible with this release?

Samuel Villareal, also known as Kaiser, is the guy who lead the programming for the Doom 64 Remaster! Unfortunately they haven't been ported for the remaster. They do show up elsewhere...

0) Ya the originally appeared in Doom 64 Absolution
1) Footman ported them to Doom 64 EX as well
2) They exist in Doom 64 Retribution for GZDoom
3) Which means they also appear in Doom 64 CE
4) Also Atomic Frog has remixed some of them for Doom 64: Reloaded for Doom 64 EX

You can find them on this sheet as "Outcast Levels" and "Redemption Denied": https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kgPXUDuxEaCN6nxVsWiY2lBy9XM-e9er2Z2D67azgC0/

A little earlier than expected, here's Beta 3! This one is cool because it also patches text strings in the KPF file to replace "Doom 64" and "The Lost Levels" when you start a new game with "The UnMaking" and "Bonus Maps" so you have a better idea of what you're selecting. But there's also some bugfixes and visual updates. Very happy with this version, so I expect the next one will be a release candidate.

I haven't made it passed level 1 because I'm obsessing over trying to find the secret exit

20211203143842_1.jpg.11f4aeb6de823dc1595e117fbb3476c6.jpg

edit: Found it!

Edited by JBerg

Welp, to celebrate winning the Machaward at this year's Cacowards, it's probably time I got the release candidate out there! I'm super humbled to be recognized for this project, at the very end of a 5-year mapping experiment. The UnMaking had by far the most stressful and exhausting development process of any wad I've done, to the point that I nearly threw it all in the garbage more than once, but the response to it has made it all worthwhile.

Regarding RC1 -- there's only one small change to map20 in this one. The main feature is an awesome new logo from PocketNinja85. I've also migrated the download link over to Dropbox because the new logo makes it too big to host on Doomworld.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

I'm super humbled to be recognized for this project, at the very end of a 5-year mapping experiment. The UnMaking had by far the most stressful and exhausting development process of any wad I've done, to the point that I nearly threw it all in the garbage more than once, but the response to it has made it all worthwhile.

Well deserved for sure! I've had my head in the sand for a while so I just became aware of the project via the Cacoawards and I've been playing all day. Your levels are really clever and fun. It's fantastic to see such quality content for Doom 64. Having it compatible with the official release is really icing on the cake. 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, JBerg said:

I haven't made it passed level 1 because I'm obsessing over trying to find the secret exit

Man, I might have spent hours in level 1 trying to find all of the barrels (I'm assuming that's what opens the closed door and leads to the secret exit). Ultimately I relented and moved on once I couldn't even get the shotgun. Ah well, it'll leave me a reason to circle back later.

1 hour ago, DeTwelve said:

Man, I might have spent hours in level 1 trying to find all of the barrels (I'm assuming that's what opens the closed door and leads to the secret exit). Ultimately I relented and moved on once I couldn't even get the shotgun. Ah well, it'll leave me a reason to circle back later.

The shotgun secret is really mean, I admit. Thankfully you don't need to get it to find the secret exit.

Spoiler

It helps if you count the barrels as you go. There's 22 total.

I ended up finishing each level on Watch Me Die, Pistol Starts, No saves and I must say that the experience was superb. Very well balanced and there are some set pieces in there that are highly imaginative. My favourite map of the pack is probably a tie between 'Remember the Hellamo' and 'Good Night and Good Luck' and my least favorite was 'The Void Dreams of Huge Guts'. Overall, a good balance between gimmicks and raw action.

Congratulations on the release and the Cacoaward, it is well deserved!

17 hours ago, JBerg said:

I ended up finishing each level on Watch Me Die, Pistol Starts, No saves and I must say that the experience was superb. Very well balanced and there are some set pieces in there that are highly imaginative. My favourite map of the pack is probably a tie between 'Remember the Hellamo' and 'Good Night and Good Luck' and my least favorite was 'The Void Dreams of Huge Guts'. Overall, a good balance between gimmicks and raw action.

Very glad you enjoyed it! This is the first time I've heard anyone name Good Night as one of their favorites (I like it a lot but often that's not a good indicator of whether other people will.) I knew Huge Guts would be divisive, but it's buried so deep in the wad that I hoped at that point players would be willing to suffer a little to get to the end.

A bit stuck on Level 29 Remote Control, I've found the exit easily enough and the one fairly obvious secret, but have no idea how to get the 3 other secrets?

On 1/12/2022 at 5:04 AM, doombhai said:

A bit stuck on Level 29 Remote Control, I've found the exit easily enough and the one fairly obvious secret, but have no idea how to get the 3 other secrets?

All secrets in map29 are opened via shootable switches, and each one leads to the next. If you've found the first one, look very carefully inside the hallway that opened up.

Still don't see it? 

Spoiler

There's a narrow gap in the computer wall, through which you can shoot a switch. 

On 1/13/2022 at 4:55 PM, scwiba said:

All secrets in map29 are opened via shootable switches, and each one leads to the next. If you've found the first one, look very carefully inside the hallway that opened up.

Still don't see it? 

Reveal hidden contents

There's a narrow gap in the computer wall, through which you can shoot a switch. 

Thanks, managed to get to Level 18 so far finding all the secrets in all the previous levels, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to get that unmaker, even though I've found all the other secrets.

4 hours ago, doombhai said:

Thanks, managed to get to Level 18 so far finding all the secrets in all the previous levels, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to get that unmaker, even though I've found all the other secrets.

Ah, this is probably one of the hardest secrets to get.

Spoiler

It requires that you go extremely fast, doing both the barrel maze and the damaging floor section in one go. Basically, you've got to shoot a bunch of barrels to take shortcuts, and then gun it across the damaging floors rather than sticking to the safe path. (Mechanically speaking, the platform lowers halfway through the barrel maze and then resets if you get teleported back to the start.)

I've been playing through the ReMade version, and it's pretty awesome; I do love how the encounters escalate as you get deeper into the chapter, and I like the touch of Marines throughout. I still can't believe this is a fan creation, it's amazing. 
If anyone is curious, I'll be playing all 3 Chapters and the bonus maps over here: https://youtu.be/rLd54hmGBRc 

Either way, epic work Scwiba, looking forward to playing the remaining Unseries. :D 

Right, all the way up to the rather complicated Map 26. Somehow managed to get 5 skull keys/ keycards, just the blue keycard left and the blue demon artifact, but I can't see how I can make the jumps from the nearest platforms to get either of these.

Edit: Found it - an improbable but not impossible jump. Level 27 should be fun...

Edited by doombhai : Found what I was looking for

On 1/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, doombhai said:

Right, all the way up to the rather complicated Map 26. Somehow managed to get 5 skull keys/ keycards, just the blue keycard left and the blue demon artifact, but I can't see how I can make the jumps from the nearest platforms to get either of these.

Edit: Found it - an improbable but not impossible jump. Level 27 should be fun...

The demon key does take a pretty difficult jump to grab, but you shouldn't be doing any major jumping for the blue keycard. Also keep in mind that not all the keys are required to finish the level. You can access the final climb by collecting either all the keycards or all the skull keys.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Hyacsho said:

I've been playing through the ReMade version, and it's pretty awesome; I do love how the encounters escalate as you get deeper into the chapter, and I like the touch of Marines throughout. I still can't believe this is a fan creation, it's amazing. 
If anyone is curious, I'll be playing all 3 Chapters and the bonus maps over here: https://youtu.be/rLd54hmGBRc 

Either way, epic work Scwiba, looking forward to playing the remaining Unseries. :D 

I imagine you'll find the series provides serious diminishing returns if you play it backwards. I'm still proud of The UnMaking and UnBeliever but the earlier stuff is very rough.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:59 AM, scwiba said:

I imagine you'll find the series provides serious diminishing returns if you play it backwards. I'm still proud of The UnMaking and UnBeliever but the earlier stuff is very rough.

Honestly, I've SO enjoyed this Unmaking experience so far, and I'm excited to see the chapter conclusion soon :D 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, Hyacsho said:

@scwiba or @Immorpher I'm trying to find a source that references the music played per map in the ReMade version, and help?

Good question! I'll add a full track list to the OP but the simple answer is that the majority of the maps use the Doom 64 default midi for that mapslot. The only places where it was changed were map25, 28, and 34-40. In the next version map20, 24, and 27 will also be swapped around.

EDIT: OP updated

Edited by scwiba