Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

Happy Standard Time Day!

Did You "Fall Back" and Set Your Clocks Back Last Night?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did you "fall back" and set your clocks back last night? (Computer and auto-set clocks don't count.)

• Yes
    • No

For most of us in the United States, excluding Arizona and parts of other states, this is Standard Time day! It's the day we all "fell back" and gained an extra hour of sleep.

Or did we?

Did you set your clocks back? Computer and other clocks that auto-set don't count.

Meanwhile I gained an extra hour of work (I work night shifts at a hospital as a call operator). But hey, it's paid extra!

Hopefully people worked or slept accordingly!

Yep, I had to set back the digital stove clock, the microwave clock, and the analog clock in the living room before I went to bed last night.

Happened here a week ago (Netherlands) and I only have ONE clock that I had to adjust, everything else did it on its own . . .

This happened here a week ago in the UK and only my car's radio clock needed adjusting manually; however, WW1 has been over for a hundred years and DST savings just makes life more complicated; I wish the Government would stop messing with the clocks, choose GMT or BST permanently and leave it at that. The usual suspects who campaign against it are agricultural concerns such as farmers; however, with modern technology, GPS systems, LED headlamps, etc., many agricultural vehicles, particularly tractors, look more 'like Darth Vader's bathroom' than KITT 😲 They no longer have a valid reason to resist it and I wish the Government wouldn't keep letting them hold the rest of us to ransom :(

32 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

This happened here a week ago in the UK and only my car's radio clock needed adjusting manually; however, WW1 has been over for a hundred years and DST savings just makes life more complicated; I wish the Government would stop messing with the clocks, choose GMT or BST permanently and leave it at that. The usual suspects who campaign against it are agricultural concerns such as farmers; however, with modern technology, GPS systems, LED headlamps, etc., many agricultural vehicles, particularly tractors, look more 'like Darth Vader's bathroom' than KITT 😲 They no longer have a valid reason to resist it and I wish the Government wouldn't keep letting them hold the rest of us to ransom :(

3 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Happened here a week ago (Netherlands) and I only have ONE clock that I had to adjust, everything else did it on its own . . .

I had no idea other countries did this. Yeah the WWI point is a good one. In reality, it wasn't much help to farmers or anyone else. It's entirely artificial and makes no sense to keep around. 

This was supposed to be the Last Day Ever we experienced daylight saving time shift in the EU, it was legislated and this is the deadline for phasing it out. But to be honest I have no idea if it's true, because the countries lag behind with implementation. They were supposed to form regional blocs that keep DST or winter time, but everyone has different ideas...

There was a big lobbying effort to keep DST forever (meaning +2 hours compared to the Sun) from restaurants and cafés since they long afternoons are good for their business. And then covid killed them anyway.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Martin Howe said:

The usual suspects who campaign against it are agricultural concerns such as farmers;

Isn't this a myth? Farmers get up with the sun and DST just means they had to get to market earlier. Apparently it fucks up animal feeding schedules too.

When it gets traced back who's pushing for it, it's always the usual suspects trying to keep people out later spending more money and buying shit. A goddamn candy lobby is the reason DST now extends past Halloween (edit: in the US, please forgive my rage-induced US-centrism).

I'd prefer we stay on standard time but i'm fine with staying on DST as well. Just stop changing the fucking clocks. AGH!

Edited by DuckReconMajor

7 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

A goddamn candy lobby is the reason DST now extends past Halloween.

Maybe in the US, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up happening here as well; the current UK government is the most corrupt - and incompetent - in living memory; a fair number of Americans on Quora have said they like the UK's unique character and don't want to see it adopt the worst of the USA's corporatist excesses; obviously as a Brit, I don't want that either :)

I didn't even know this was even handled differently from state to state in the US. Just makes the whole thing even more confusing. All the more reason to bury it.

6 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Maybe in the US, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up happening here as well; the current UK government is the most corrupt - and incompetent - in living memory; a fair number of Americans on Quora have said they like the UK's unique character and don't want to see it adopt the worst of the USA's corporatist excesses; obviously as a Brit, I don't want that either :)

Yeah I went off a bit I didn't mean to go all US-centric. It's definitely mainly a US thing but as you mention the US likes to spread its tendrils of influence everywhere. It does seem the "blame it on the farmers" story went international (unless in the UK or elsewhere it actually was people in agriculture)

It's not even just messing with people's circadian rhythm, there's a noted uptick in auto accidents every time the clock switches. People, including children, get hurt or killed because of an old tradition that's outlived its usefulness.

Also here from Europe, i absolutly hate it.

My Cats get also confused, as they came EXACTLY at the same Time to get Food.

I use them as my Alarm Clock at the Morning, it is a bit more difficult to reset them haha