Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Master Levels - The Way id Should Have Done ?

14 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Was there not a bunch of maps rejected from the original Master Levels? Do you think they could be included in this project?

The only ones I'm 100% aware of are my own Cabal series maps, which I definitely don't think should go in. Other than those there are stories from id that there was an unnamed kid whose father wouldn't let him finish the project, but no one has seen any trace of those files. The latter would be cool of course, if by some miracle they should surface in a semi-complete or better state. I'm sure there were other maps considered that didn't make it, but the one guy that would potentially remember this best (project lead Shawn Green) doesn't front himself much as a public person anymore, afaik (he's no longer on FB anyway, which was my last point of contact with him).

3 hours ago, printz said:

Personally I'd rather see non-vanilla as in new things, new monsters and items, and especially new episode layout, with unknown and unforeseen secret and alternate exits. This is more attractive than the generalized / Turing-complete voodoo scripting of BOOM.

Could be done "the right way" I suppose - if used somewhat sparingly & with majority participant consent. Though I did pitch Shawn for making a new monster during ML development, I never did finish up that particular creature & I suppose my newer offerings kinda land in a more modern category, like some texture types discussed. However, picking a long used mapper favorite (or three, depending on engine) from Realm 667 seems appropriate enough to me - the Afreet being the first that springs to mind. The baron meta is maybe a too outdated to excite these days, so swapping him out should at least be considered, I think.

5 hours ago, Soundblock said:

The only ones I'm 100% aware of are my own Cabal series maps, which I definitely don't think should go in.

Might I ask why?

If I understand correctly, Cabal was meant to be a 32-level mapset. Why not use this opportunity to finish what you have started?

It wouldn't be a master levels pack without at least a few maps being on-par with Gene Bird's style.

22 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Was there not a bunch of maps rejected from the original Master Levels? Do you think they could be included in this project?

I think it was Tom Mustaine who submitted a level which was a remake of Doom 2's Map 14, because it was his favorite level. American McGee told him something along the lines of "We're not publishing this, get your own level geometry!"

11 hours ago, printz said:

Personally I'd rather see non-vanilla as in new things, new monsters and items, and especially new episode layout, with unknown and unforeseen secret and alternate exits. This is more attractive than the generalized / Turing-complete voodoo scripting of BOOM.

No reason VooDoo scripting can't be done for an MBF21 project.

For new monsters, I suggested those as one time bosses, as to not take away any of the existing monsters, who's absence I think would be strongly felt for something like this. I personally don't feel that any other new monsters or items would be necessary to add, and would maybe feel out of scope. Hell, I'm not even entirely sold myself on making the bosses unique monsters.

40 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I think it was Tom Mustaine who submitted a level which was a remake of Doom 2's Map 14, because it was his favorite level. American McGee told him something along the lines of "We're not publishing this, get your own level geometry!"

Yeah, I gave it a shot. Not bad, but I can see why it was rejected by McGee. :P

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Might I ask why?

If I understand correctly, Cabal was meant to be a 32-level mapset. Why not use this opportunity to finish what you have started?

Maybe next decade or something, you never know.

1 hour ago, Soundblock said:

Maybe next decade or something, you never know.

Well, that is the beauty of community projects: you do not have to do everything yourself. :P

And having played the first map of Cabal, I am really not sure what your issue with it is. It is brutally hard, especially on pistol start (I have yet to make it past the blue keycard mini-maze), but it seems solid enough designwise.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:04 AM, xdude_gamer said:

Grandmaster Levels sounds and/or is super badass!

It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under

On 11/11/2021 at 12:49 AM, Maximum Matt said:

It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under

ah-ha-ha-ha-ha