Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeNA

can i get some input on this map-pack i made?

i'm making a map pack called... "Pinta-Pack" but there will be like... idk around 5 volume's,

and i'm not amazing at making maps for DOOM 2: Hell On Earth,

but i can make some fun maps, just not very good looking maps,

each map is a pistol start map, and currently i'm looking for info on map 01.

|

file removed but now it's here V

latest version will be at the start of of the topic [ i.e. here ]

the way i launch the game is by running this command in the terminal:   GZDoom file_name.wad

currently i'm making a "wooden fortress" map and just need detail, also this is a DOOM 2: Hell On Earth map-pack. THX

Edited by dededenova : file removed

Hi there! 

I think that the iwad is doom2, right?

I think you should add some info to your post, like the sourceport needed, # of levels that this demo contains, some screenshots ..

On 11/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, FEDEX said:

Hi there! 

I think that the iwad is doom2, right?

I think you should add some info to your post, like the sourceport needed, # of levels that this demo contains, some screenshots ..

ya i forgot to do that but its a doom 2 game with default comp-mode and the source port is gzdoom jumping, crouching, are required, free-look is recommended

and here is a small update found weird things i didn't do but thought i did...

and here's how i launch the game:   gzdoom abandoned_factory_by_DENA.wad -warp 04 -skill 3 [ -skill 3 for pistol starts -skill 4 for full game runs but this is 1 map ]

also idk how to add screenshots... thx tho

file removed

oh okay didn't think it would be that simple & easy thanks

Spoiler

381017948_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-08-54.png.1d23f88b24ba64b00d5185a95b95d9e5.png1389304616_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-08-12.png.a4957c5b67afa4ed1cd00b732fe86c6f.png538097469_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-06-32.png.b87fe8a9d0558a2d6b5d024f0140c9f8.png1387419681_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-07-20.png.0f68b90e1f4756202b1b344799bfa4cd.png2124656668_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-06-48.png.c69115f5d95097b89af6430db8d3a0f0.png1335525326_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0914-11-57.png.1606edf744b1cc9200c080da09e4a5ae.png

here are some screenshots thx for the help

Please, don't tkae this as bad. You surely worked a lot on this maps.
But just by looking the pics, there is a lot of monotexturing, not much texture color diversity, low details and kinda a blocky feel.

Checking this thread:

thanks, it is one of the first maps i made after all, and i didn't even think of the detail thing because i was adding consoles for keeping track of things in the factory which had a bit of detail to them but looking at it now i can see what your saying thanks for the feedback :)

20 minutes ago, dededenova said:

thanks, it is one of the first maps i made after all, and i didn't even think of the detail thing because i was adding consoles for keeping track of things in the factory which had a bit of detail to them but looking at it now i can see what your saying thanks for the feedback :)

if its one of your first maps i dont think you should be aiming for a full 32 map megawad but you do you ig

well its kinda a one of the first maps i made like 10 quick test maps to figure out how to use the engine well and its quirks, and then a year later i started slowly working on some maps for this and there where some small maps that couldn't have much more added so i replaced some, MAP05 is just not fun to play really a bit boring and used generic gray textures McGee,

BECAUSE the eureka doom editor has gray only defaults that i need to set on opening of the editor and it does not tell me to i just forget to [i use linux btw]

Oh. Sooo. You probably does not use infinite actor (enemy) height, because the first room is quite miserable with it. Just something to look out. Also jumping and crouching needed... Yep, now I know.

First an overall look: I like the idea of the elevator, but it's painfully slow. The visuals are bland, everything is this brown color, the rooms are all rectangles not much variety. The difficulty is all over the place, some rooms are just a few pinky and the next is two archviles. I had to have a plan how to get the weapons, but on a first playthrough it was impossible.

Now everything else:

-You can get locked in into the medic room. Probably oversight.

-The buttons... There are a ton of them and it is absolutely not clear which does what. And you have to shoot the walls to get out that archvile room... How could have I known?! But overall a little indication or just in general, less buttons would be nice.

-Jumping... Ohh boy, there is only one thing worse than Doom platforming and that's Doom jumping platforming... (Maybe some like it, I'm not one of them.)

-Secrets. That archvile alcove. Why is that a secret? It's quite obvious he is there. And not like you get anything from it. Just a worthless secret.

-Voodoo doll. Just why? I killed myself the first time. I know, I know, why did I shoot, but I thought it's a marine enemy... It wasn't.

-... Yep, probably this. Oh yeah, and boring room design in general. I don't want to sound too harsh, because I'm an even worse mapper, but let's look at the conveyor belt section. Literally shooting pinkies again and again. No challange, no nothing. The first room is lively, you have to dodge and be smart with your ammo, but every other room is a box filled with enemies. You stand in the doorway and blast them from behind the corner... Is it clear? I can't really describe it just with another example. The shotgunner room. Strategy: Open door, see shotgunners facing the other way, shoot and hide behind corner. Shoot when they come out one by one. Or the blue key room. A wasted opportunity to ambush the player.

Hope this helps, and sorry for my to the point style. Keep it up, I want to play the best wad you can make!

So from what I've played, this map contains many issues:

1 - Not enough resources. Even if you fist every single pinky demon you find, you'll still run out of bullets/shells. Health and armour is barely given out at all so good luck on surviving. Personally, adding the occasional stim pack in several areas would greatly help the map (I think the only ones I could find were locked behind an un-marked secret?).

2 - There's not a lot of thought on combat. Sure the hot start with the Mancubus is interesting, getting you to fight them in a tight spot, but quickly you realise either A: you'll die or B: The cacodemons pop up and kiss you good night. Afterwards, the revenants are in a long hallway with no pillars to deal with the homing rockets. Personally, I'd make the spawn room bigger.

3 - Lack of knowledge on it requiring GZDooM + Jumping/Crouching. TBF I think this is a quick alpha build so I can let that slide, but juuust let us know we need those two things enabled. :)

Overall, an okay tech-themed map. I think you're doing well with the map architecture. If you want a cool idea, try adding a broken panel with wires hanging down, or some rusted sections near water.

ah your playing a version that's a bit older i was  changing it with what every ones recommending and i'm almost done with the update thanks for the help and i didn't think i would need to say that jumping & crouching are required because i did at the top of the forum but i can see why no one would want to read an entire forum just to find that, it makes sense

Yeah, the visuals are mostly plain and the gameplay is bad in places. But I see plenty of creative ideas at play here! There's plenty of un-Doomlike features involved and I like it. Usable computers, places with actual in-universe purposes... cool stuff.

finally finished the update,

thanks for the feedback on the map it REALLY helped a lot,

the updated version includes a small 2 - 4 player death-match map on MAP31 but its just there sense i can't really play on it with others so might as well let every one else play it.

jumping & crouching are needed to play this map and its recommended you use free-look it just helps with aiming SO MUCH,

launch the game by using this in the command line / terminal [ i use linux so idk which command line thing to use in windows there's 2 i think ]

[ skill 3 for pistol starts on maps other than MAP01, skill 4 for full game runs ]

gzdoom MAPPACK-DEMO.wad -warp 04 -skill 3

file removed

level pictures [ -nomonsters ]

Spoiler

files removed

Edited by dededenova : files removed

I agree with a lot of the feedback that is already given. I had no ammo at a certain point which made a that fight really frustrating. I also got stuck in a pit, I had to fly out. How do you get out of there? That was all except for those 2 things it was actually enjoyable.

in that pit with the metal around it at the start your not supposed to get out but in "medical bay" you get a rocket launcher so... just rocket jump but now that i think about it its not that clear that that's what you need to do and the ammo... ya there's not much... thanks tho

so far it seems to be WAY better then before, thanks for all the help so far,

but i was going to submit this map to decino's "Viewer-Submitted Levels Round 4" thing,

and i got a lot of help from this and want to ask if you want to be credited for map-testing / important feedback?

just quote the post and say yes or no, i'll wait tell Nov-13-2021 to add to the credit list, thanks for all the help.

I suggest not submitting it just yet. It still needs quite a lot of polish. The selection for decinos competition is random. And I'm pretty sure this map would end up just being ignored. However, do keep improving it. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211111_010153.png.0aefdbd0a119cf8251c2365f15b0e476.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211111_010939.png.cec5c816f0f2d5d9d8cda392e8826f01.png

one thing i did find frustrating. Did I miss something or the medkit room can't be opened on the other side? cause i got stuck in this room. (pictures shown spoiler above)ˇ.

Also I'm using GZDoom 4.7. And the medikit room bug exists on the new map as well.

The updated first room combat has been nerfed too much. I do suggest adding a couple of mancubus back. The damaging pit works fine for me. 

I usually die about 2-3 times on UV runs just in the beginning. I didn't die once on the updated one, but the alpha one felt just like a UV map would. However after the first room it's a bit better.

Unfortunately I also suck at mapping so i can't give many pointers. And since I don't know how to record(yet), video is missing.

Rest of the map, I can't comment on, because I think I would give bad feedback.

Edited by DarkIceCyclone

ya i missed that i was soft-lock hunting and found that, just fixed it also that's an older version... use the version that's in this post:   file removed

the source port is GZDoom, the wad is DOOM 2, & comp-mode is default, also the map is MAP04 but MAP31 is a small Death-Match map and a secret level, when launching use -warp 04 / 31

but in the editor & in-game it works & should work... 

file removed

Unfortunately you use a different editor and I don't know how to help there.

That said, you could add a backup line def, that activates when player walks over. That should fix it. 

Also, i used the one from this version: 

19 hours ago, dededenova said:

finally finished the update,

thanks for the feedback on the map it REALLY helped a lot,

the updated version includes a small 2 - 4 player death-match map on MAP31 but its just there sense i can't really play on it with others so might as well let every one else play it.

jumping & crouching are needed to play this map and its recommended you use free-look it just helps with aiming SO MUCH,

launch the game by using this in the command line / terminal [ i use linux so idk which command line thing to use in windows there's 2 i think ]

[ skill 3 for pistol starts on maps other than MAP01, skill 4 for full game runs ]

gzdoom MAPPACK-DEMO.wad -warp 04 -skill 3

MAPPACK-DEMO.zip

level pictures [ -nomonsters ]

Reveal hidden contents

184414661_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0921-26-25.png.6aa680a3b054cddbbd97aded817ba906.png840605870_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0921-24-47.png.3622b5e931b12f378b0ebd0706488d38.png592347927_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0921-26-51.png.f58fcc2a9e51602a8c96bf464af256a6.png1255762418_Screenshotfrom2021-11-0921-28-40.png.8ef7bd0e448c9fc4f2eac82b6ae7d4bf.png

Edit: I have had similar issues with doors before. One map I've asked to test came back with "door not working", despite numerous actions that should make it work

Edited by DarkIceCyclone

oh that the reason, you used an updated version but not the latest that's why so i'll make it easy-err for you...

use this version of the wad and test that door pls & thx:   file removed

pictures spoiler for editor

Spoiler

files removed

Edited by dededenova : files removed

It works now. Also, i see you added some anticheese in conveyor belt room

Edited by DarkIceCyclone

2 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

It works now. Also, i see you added some anticheese in revenant room. 

wheres the revenant room?, & GREAT not a linux to windows thing...

13 minutes ago, dededenova said:

wheres the revenant room?, & GREAT not a linux to windows thing...

Oh, i meant the conveyor belt one. Sorry. 

file removed

found a map info problem fixed in this version, air control is incorrect it should be 0.5 but it would not activate the map info do to the placement of the map info in the wad.

[wads go top to bottom unlike normal files... i think]