Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tose Borojó

I finally bought Doom Eternal

Actually a bit misleading title.
I bought Doom Eternal for PS4 last year, and played a lot... but not enough

A few days ago, I saw a deal on steam and got both Doom 2016 and Eternal. Finally playing on a decent PC. 
But i suck.

Any suggestions?

I guess it would depend on "in what way" you think you suck?  I can tell you that having played from basically day 1, first on a PS4 pro, then eventually on a nice high end gaming PC (which I got just so I could play Doom Eternal) the one thing that has really changed the game so to speak for me is learning fast weapon switching.  I would recommend getting a mouse if you don't already have one like this, that has the numeric keypad on the side. This has greatly increased the ease of learning this technique.  Having a high DPS for quickly taking out bigger demons such as Tyrants and the like is essential.  I would start by focusing on the combo I think everyone learns first which is SSG + Ballista since they are right next to one another (button 5, fire, button 6, fire, etc).  One other thing that I'm still practicing and getting used to is using the meat hook on the SSG as a movement tool.  If you watch people like ZeroMaster for example, he is constantly meat hooking and using it as a way to launch himself into the air where he can freely aim and get off rockets and ballista shots with being overrun.  Finally, I don't know about you, but for me, one of my early downfalls was staying in one spot too much.  You really do have to learn to get yourself into the mindset of aiming on the move. I didn't have any problems moving but I'd get bogged down in focusing too much on one enemy, which means I'd stop and try to kill it, which is obviously a bad idea.

Dunno how far in you are or what exactly you may be struggling with, but I've played enough of Eternal on UV to not die constantly (barring certain DLC moments) and can offer what I learned along the way that helped:

Remember the flame belch and grenades, and use them generously. This was a big one --- I kept forgetting they existed, and the thing is that they can and will save your butt in tight situations. Torching a group of fodder then blasting them with a grenade or rocket gives a big chunk of armor that can keep you going until you find that next medkit or glory kill. The shoulder frag grenades pack a pretty good punch and have a good chance of tripping up enemies that aren't killed by them, and the freeze grenades make for a handy escape if you get cornered. Only takes a few seconds for them to recharge (especially if you equip the rune that cuts recharge time with kills), so make that shoulder buddy earn its keep.

Assess the situation and figure out what heavy/super-heavy foes to deal with first. Fodder like zombies, soldiers and imps respawn infinitely until the higher-tier monsters are taken care of, so the other baddies are the ones to strategize over. Some will give you more immediate grief than others, or need to be taken down before you can deal with other threats safely. Personally I'm not a fan of being restricted on where I can go in an arena, so if there are Carcasses or Mancubi around I like to focus them down first so they're not messing with my movement. Pinkies, Knights and Barons can get bad if they corner you, but as long as you stay on the move you're good. Tyrants, Marauders and Doom Hunters I can evade until the support around them is dealt with, but Arch-Viles take priority due to their summoning and buffs.

Pick runes that match your playstyle best. For a while I was trying to maximize my chances of pulling back from the brink of death with a combination of Savagery, Seek and Destroy and Saving Throw. This kinda worked, but I kept dying all the time anyway (partly because of above reasons, but yeah). Eventually I figured out the combat approach that I vibed with the most was "if they want to kill me they'll have to catch me first," and switched to Air Control, Blood Fueled and Equipment Fiend. This ended up not only working better but I was having a blast, zipping around the arena after glory kills and using that better midair control to maneuver from bounce pads and Meathook swings to reach safety or rain death from above. But that's just my playstyle, other runes may work better for whatever your approach to ripping and tearing may be.

Rapid weapon swapping, as mentioned already. One nice thing about PC Eternal is the ability to quickly swap between desired weapons. Also, an important detail about guns is that their reload animation is less like a normal reload and more like a cooldown time. This means you can, for example, fire the SSG, quickly switch to another gun and shoot that, and by the time you switch back to the SSG it's ready to go again. That way you're dealing damage way faster than you would if you waited until your next shot on the current gun is ready. Players better than myself like to rapidly cycle through some combination of SSG/Ballista/Heavy Cannon Precision Bolt/Rocket Launcher, but even just alternating SSG and Ballista helps with turning deadlier targets into soup faster.

Edited by kawadec

Some great advice posted already -- best tips are ssg/Ballista quick swap for fast damage especially against marauders when they become vulnerable.

I also support flame belch + grenade to generate armor off groups of light hostiles but I would mention the nuance that you can fire the grenade first from a distance and still have time to belch the flame as you approach.

Use Blood Punch. I didn't learn how valuable this is until I had already played the campaign a few times. It can save you under pressure, it can damage or stagger particular enemies, and makes a great part of a balanced breakfast when combined with meat hook and SSG.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, Tose Borojó said:

Actually a bit misleading title.
I bought Doom Eternal for PS4 last year, and played a lot... but not enough

A few days ago, I saw a deal on steam and got both Doom 2016 and Eternal. Finally playing on a decent PC. 
But i suck.

Any suggestions?

Keep playing till you don't suck.

Seriously though, the game always ups the ante once you think you've got it down, inviting you to dive into the challenge and helping you pull yourself up to ever-higher skill ceilings.

And don't be afraid to experiment. I never thought the Marauder could be killed with anything other than a SSG/Ballista combo...then I played Super Gore Nest Master Level and killed him with nothing but a shotgun and frag grenades. Needless to say, the master levels rock.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:45 PM, UnclePhil said:

Some great advice posted already -- best tips are ssg/Ballista quick swap for fast damage especially against marauders when they become vulnerable.

I also support flame belch + grenade to generate armor off groups of light hostiles but I would mention the nuance that you can fire the grenade first from a distance and still have time to belch the flame as you approach.

Use Blood Punch. I didn't learn how valuable this is until I had already played the campaign a few times. It can save you under pressure, it can damage or stagger particular enemies, and makes a great part of a balanced breakfast when combined with meat hook and SSG.

I've found if you start with Ballista, then SSG, then Ballista again, you can land 3 hits, which doesn't work if you start with SSG.

I also like trying to use a remote detonate rocket, you can get him with splash damage.

Blood Punch is especially great against Pinkys, Cyber-Mancubus, and the Doom Hunters.

Mancubus and Dread Knight can be killed nearly instantly with rocket, SSG, and Ballista combo.

Use a fully upgraded auto-shotgun to refill ammo, also barrels.

You can use ice or microwave beam to stun, then unload the bigger punch with something else while they're recovering