Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

YouTube is removing dislikes.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:27 PM, magicsofa said:

I don't think "contempt" is exactly the right word. It's not that they want to punish their customers - they just want to control them. So yes, in a way it's like "looking down upon" the masses, but the key point is that they depend on the masses for their business to make money. I think the underlying statement, if any, is just "we think this is more profitable." Remember, corporations don't have feelings. They are machines that maximize profit and nothing else. They will get in bed with any organization that seems like it will bring in more cash, and cut ties with any that are costing. Moral decisions come from human beings, and (hopefully) government regulation based on the will of the people and the Right Thing to Do. Companies have morals imposed upon them, and that will never change. You wouldn't expect a chainsaw to stop cutting because it didn't want to hurt you, right?

I'm sure that YouTube management ran this idea past some finance drones first, but they can't tell you if such a move is going to be well-received by the public. I've no doubt that the decision on YouTube's end was dispassionately made entirely for the purposes of making money, rather than as a means of rubbing it in the faces of the plebs. But ordinary site users are still going to perceive such treatment as contemptuous, and I think there's a good reason for that.

The audiences on YouTube largely do not pay for their viewership, this means that they are not customers, they are the product. Like with Facebook. YouTube doesn't want to control its customers, we can see that easily in how lax their standards are for checking adverts. Like any good company, they want to more control over their stock, I.E. the audiences that YouTube pumps ads at.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:16 PM, HavoX said:

There's also the YouTube video with the Happy Tree Friends characters YouTube did in collaboration with Mondo. It was about Russell and tells us about how Youtube's copyright system works.

Obviously, it got a BOATLOAD of dislikes.

Even if YouTube adds something that everyone loves, people are still going to dislike it anyway. No matter how hard they try to be cool, they still end up pissing off everyone

1 hour ago, HavoX said:

Well, that was fast.

No kidding. When I said earlier in the thread I thought they might walk it back, I figured it would be after a few weeks, when the initial public outcry had mostly died down. Not after just a few days.

Although the nature of the confirmation in that article seems a bit speculative, and I don't see any other outlet reporting on it yet... so I'm gonna hold off on a celebration dance.

28 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Although the nature of the confirmation in that article seems a bit speculative, and I don't see any other outlet reporting on it yet... so I'm gonna hold off on a celebration dance.

Same here, nobody else (even on r/youtube, not that I like to stay over there longer than necessary) seems to be talking about this, so there's reason to doubt. Looks more to me like some news outlets are "speculating" on a trending topic by cherry picking some "anecdotal evidence" in order to make some clickbait articles. "Bob's dislikes were gone yesterday, and now they're back! That's all the evidence we need, chief!"

Maybe not, but I perfer to have a cynical outlook when it comes to things like that.

Their website isn't too awful, but most of their headlines are intentionally vague and quite similar to stories that you'd see promoted right under "SHOCKING! 30 ways to make FREE MONEY (you won't believe #11)"

20211115_115321.jpg

20211115_115147.jpg

20211115_115124.jpg

20211115_115245.jpg

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

4 hours ago, HavoX said:

Well, that was fast.

Oh Susan, you wench

On 11/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Yes, they're 100% going to remove one of the main incentives for "engagement" because nobody likes to earn any money anyway, especially not YouTube... /S

Youtube has been in the red since Google bought it out. Google doesn't really seem to mind as long as they have you in their ecosystem. This entire move had absolutely nothing to do with "muh mental health" and pretty much everything to do with protecting the reputations/botttom lines of the White House, big pharma and the corporate media. If they had their way, you can bet your arse that comments would be history. Dislikes are a shorthand way for people to show their disapproval (Nintendo Switch Expansion Pass, anyone?). Yeah, it sucks when you get them and they are open to abuse, but so are transit vans and household chemicals.

The plebs may have won this round, but don't believe for one second that this has gone away. The run may have failed in this instance, but the walk is much more insidious. Take microtransactions (please :P).

On 11/14/2021 at 4:31 AM, act said:

You know what? I would say to everyone "Oh boy this is terrible!" but I'm willing to bet more than half of you went with the logic, beliefs, ideologies, and thought processes that lead to YouTube taking away dislikes. You let this happen. You allowed this to occur. You went with it. Not me; you. You chose this. And you'll keep going with it, you'll keep accepting it with a smile on your damn face. Hell, you'll still be okay with it when a squad of guys wearing body armour and blue helmets come to your doorstep and seize everything you own under "eminent domain during a national emergency" or whateverthehell, and shove you in an "emergency housing unit", where you'll be worked to death until they get fed up with feeding you corn syrup and whatever garbage they don't feed to the crickets, where then they'll put a bullet through your head, and your body - with a wide, grinning smile on it - will be chucked in an unmarked mass grave. You chose that. You're choosing it right now. As you're reading these words, and you start to feel like I'm some vague negative figure you were told to hate, you're choosing that fate.

Or something, I don't know. I'm just writing this as some edgy joke. This no dislike thing is garbage.

You mean how I disliked videos I didn't like seeing in my feed and liked those I don't mind running on repeat?

Edit: 

Spoiler

most of the time it was some karen talking about how antivax is 5g chip installer so you can be tracked or similar sort. bullshit conspiracies that made no sense lol. 

I use not interested/don't reccomend when algorythm building.

Edited by DarkIceCyclone : welll....i was too vague

11 hours ago, MLGari said:

Society's slide into a Khmer Rouge style mass murdering autocracy has been averted

On 11/12/2021 at 1:22 PM, Maes said:

Actually, making outrageous public claims/pre-announcements and gauging the responses is a valid and very commonly used tool in politics or in other decision-making processes.

I do think this could've been the sort of plan all along (or if not the plan, a contingency that they were always prepared to dive to at first sign of resistance)

2 hours ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

You mean how I disliked videos I didn't like seeing in my feed and liked those I don't mind running on repeat?

don't do that, do this
unknown.png

14 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

don't do that, do this
unknown.png

most of the time it was some karen talking about how antivax is 5g chip installer so you can be tracked or similar sort. bullshit conspiracies that made no sense lol. 

13 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

don't do that, do this
unknown.png

A person clicking don't recommend channel? This is a terrible idea, they might change their mind and then they won't be able to find the channel anymore! *ding*

Also it's our channel so don't do that! *ding*

But yeah good thing the dislikes are going nowhere. Apart from Youtube and bigger corporations (which are the ones that must be kept in check by that system to begin with), dislikes are not a problem to the common user that Youtube claims it's protecting. Besides, they'd still see dislikes in their video manager anyway so it's almost as if their whole argument was only done for their own self interest and no one else.

9 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

lol, fair enough there.

1 minute ago, PsychEyeball said:

A person clicking don't recommend channel? This is a terrible idea, they might change their mind and then they won't be able to find the channel anymore! *ding*

Also it's our channel so don't do that! *ding*

LOL, slight derail but glad someone else enjoys that channel!

14 hours ago, MLGari said:

Very suss article given its literally the ONLY article about this in the last 24 hours given how the news of it being removed had tabloids burping out articles by the truckload. Incidentally, if it is true, then the speed of the backpedal wouldn't surprise me either. For those who either forgot or never knew, YouTube tried to get rid of the verification badge two years ago but changed their mind only a couple of days later thanks to a similarly massive backlash as people pointed out how unbelievably stupid that idea was.

I won't miss them.  About their only legitimate use is to disapprove of instructional videos that don't actually work, but given the fact that said instructional videos have any sort of ranking at all, it's foolish to think it actually accomplishes anything.

More often than not, if I register that a video has been mass-disliked it's either against a video done by a big company who doesn't care about the ratio, or a dislike bomb against a smaller content creator who woke up a hornets nest.

If you're going to gamify engagement, gamify positive engagement, not negative engagement.

Doesn't really affect my life that much but it is scary, youtube can make whatever horrible change it wants too and we keep coming back, cause most yt alternatives are alt-right shitholes.* cough cough* bitchute *cough*

17 hours ago, scalliano said:

Youtube has been in the red since Google bought it out. Google doesn't really seem to mind as long as they have you in their ecosystem.

YT's earnings are not as irrelevant as you'd like to think, because any business there is only exists as long as the operation is economically viable in some capacity... So even if I went down the rabbit hole that is your ideologically possessed and unsubstantiated gibberish, then it would still stand to reason that both google and YT have a vested interested in keeping the platform at least somewhat attractive instead of paving the way for a competitor they would have no control over...

This entire move had absolutely nothing to do with "muh mental health" and pretty much everything to do with protecting the reputations/botttom lines of the White House, big pharma and the corporate media.

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with mental health concerns, but I'd like to see some evidence for any of the claims you make beyond that... Not that I expect to see any from you, because you're just regurgitating your script as usual...

The plebs may have won this round, but don't believe for one second that this has gone away. The run may have failed in this instance, but the walk is much more insidious. Take microtransactions (please :P).

Yeah, somehow the plebs who don't matter got their dislikes back despite your implicit claim that YT doesn't need to consider their earnings, meaning they could have done what they wanted regardless of popular opinion.... Funny how that works...

18 hours ago, scalliano said:

Youtube has been in the red since Google bought it out.

Yeah, I've heard people claim that for years, which I personally never understood. Whoever it was that first came up with that assertion was a complete moron because it's not even remotely true or believable. Google's parent company, Alphabet released their quarterly earnings (2017-2020) for the very first time publicly last year and revealed that YouTube makes them 15 Billion dollars a year. How anyone ever managed to convince themselves that Google has been running YouTube at a loss for the past 15 years is beyond me. After all, this same company has a very long history of buying up websites/apps and then killing them off the mere second they start to lose revenue. They're so notorious for doing this that there's even a website that has been dedicated to documenting it for years.

Edited by Biodegradable

5 hours ago, dmslr said:

Ok, it's happening. The dislike counter is gone.

Still there for me on app and website

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

Still there for me on app and website

On PC, I noticed that when I use youtube without logging in, the dislike counter is there. But once I log in, the numbers don't show.

17 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

On PC, I noticed that when I use youtube without logging in, the dislike counter is there. But once I log in, the numbers don't show.

Odd, just checked on my main computer and they are still there while logged into my account.

34 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I think you're happening upon videos that've disabled the dislikes. They're very much still present on most videos.

I'm sure, if so, these shouldn't have likes too then. I checked videos from various channels including Dwars and decino and all of them don't have dislikes.

IMG_20211119_161649.jpg.5c411086c74325a68f2736d36d1dea61.jpg

As well as not there. Schrodinger's dislikes.

As I stated before YT functions differently from region to region.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I think you're happening upon videos that've disabled the dislikes. They're very much still present on most videos.

Nope. Checked same video with and without logging. Likes are showing in both cases, but dislikes only show when I am logged out.

Well well well, seems youtube doesn't like that half the eastern europe including russia is calling them out on their bullshit. speaking of which, i'm gonna wait for my ban from youtube lol

6 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Nope. Checked same video with and without logging. Likes are showing in both cases, but dislikes only show when I am logged out.

Interesting, I am logged in in this instance.