Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

YouTube is removing dislikes.

it's entirely possible different region teams of YouTube are operating differently or under different or misunderstood instructions. rolling out a change is one thing, rolling back a change is another. given YouTube's history of shit communication amongst different work silos this wouldn't surprise me.

Well, it's gone for me now and I'm already feeling the detrimental effects from binging through reviews and guides of certain software products.

The github page for that dislike browser addon seems to imply that right now it's still possible to get dislikes from the Youtube API, but soon that's going to be removed as well and in the future the best they can do is rely on estimates from data scraping and view/like ratios?

This is quite sad for me as one of my favorite things to do on youtube is see which videos have the highest ratio of likes to dislikes (it is quite rare for a video to have a ratio greater than 100 to 1, but I think I did see a video with 1000 likes to each dislike. It's a real shame YT be removing this info from public view---

On 11/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, Slipgate Tourist said:

This add-on makes the number of dislikes visible again. I'm using Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/return-youtube-dislikes/

https://returnyoutubedislike.com/

Oh, yay! Google chrome extension to restore dislikes! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/return-youtube-dislike/gebbhagfogifgggkldgodflihgfeippi

This change finally showed up for my account. I believe for people with older accounts, they "wait a while" to apply these changes, while a newer account I have just for browsing hasn't shown dislikes for over a week now.

It's dumb and stupid, and stupid and dumb.

Good. Now horrible videos by big corporations will have mountains after mountains of negative comments instead of just a large dislike counter. Let's see how quickly this backfires.

There’s probably going to be a comment under every video that says “dislike,” and everyone just likes that comment as a method of expressing and counting dislikes

At least until the dislike comments are also disabled / deleted 

47 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Good. Now horrible videos by big corporations will have mountains after mountains of negative comments instead of just a large dislike counter. Let's see how quickly this backfires.

That's when they disable the comments just like when they notice an unfavorable like/dislike ratio.

1 hour ago, lazygecko said:

That's when they disable the comments just like when they notice an unfavorable like/dislike ratio.

Actually yes they are always disabled on bigger videos by corporations already. 

Edited by Pegg : Extreme Engrish

I would strongly encourage as many people as possible to install and use the browser extension mentioned above. When they eventually remove the dislike count from the API feed, the extension will turn to user extrapolation to estimate the dislike count. The more users using the extension, the better the extrapolations will be.

1 hour ago, Professor Hastig said:

Does anybody here see the irony that all the ranting took place on a site that only features "like" options for its content as well?

haha almost.

But to be fair, Youtube and Doomworld forums are entirely different beasts. Youtube has a lot of influence when it comes to brands, groups and individuals.

2 hours ago, Professor Hastig said:

Does anybody here see the irony that all the ranting took place on a site that only features "like" options for its content as well?

Well, YouTube is used for advertising and sales. Imagine if Amazon didn't allow 1 or 2 star ratings, you're only allowed to rate 4 or 5 stars. That would be very dumb, you wouldn't really have any good idea if the product is good or bad, you only know how many people bothered to rate it at all.

As usual, corporations/powerful entities demand special protections, and the people aren't allowed to express themselves, which goes against the whole point of the internet being an interactive medium.

TBH, I generally found "dislike" more frequently being used as a weapon than a genuine sign of disagreement, i.e. have your goons bomb a video you want to discredit with a shitload of dislikes.

That goes especially for any kind of political opinion, regardles of what side it is from.

If they were honest, they should disable like's as well, they are often just as bogus as the dislikes.

6 hours ago, Professor Hastig said:

only features "like" options for its content as well?

This is why we should all designate one of the 4 reactions to be the negative one. I vote for blursphere because nobody likes blurspheres.

11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

TBH, I generally found "dislike" more frequently being used as a weapon than a genuine sign of disagreement, i.e. have your goons bomb a video you want to discredit with a shitload of dislikes.

That goes especially for any kind of political opinion, regardles of what side it is from.

If they were honest, they should disable like's as well, they are often just as bogus as the dislikes.

I actually had a buddy and his friends dislike bomb me because I used free look - not even a thanks for playing their map but lets get togther and press thumb down buttons lol - and it was a flat map

sociery silly

I saw this in popular topics and for a mere second I thought to myself, "wait they're disabling dislikes again?"

7 hours ago, Professor Hastig said:

no, because forums are very different from a video hosting website

1 hour ago, Mr Masker said:

I saw this in popular topics and for a mere second I thought to myself, "wait they're disabling dislikes again?"

Spambot reignited the conversation, heh.

9 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

true, but force of numbers tends to even this out. Highly controversial topics tend to be split down the middle, while quality content from either side tends to be mostly likes, with partisan dislikes still being a minority. It's trash that pisses off everyone that gets buried in dislikes.

6 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Spambot reignited the conversation, heh.

lol yea, I was thinking this topic seemed a bit dated.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, HeatedChocolate said:

This is why we should all designate one of the 4 reactions to be the negative one. I vote for blursphere because nobody likes blurspheres.

Blurspheres are terrible for dealing with physical projectiles, because you get your reflexes and muscle memory used against you, but it's fantastic for dealing with a bunch of hitscanners, because it's harder to dodge into their offset fire, and they become even more volatile in terms of infighting.

TNT's Map 09, Stronghold, is packed with zombies and has a blursphere, try it out there.