Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

YouTube is removing dislikes.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:05 AM, Professor Hastig said:

Does anybody here see the irony that all the ranting took place on a site that only features "like" options for its content as well?

You necro'd the thread to make such a stunningly insightful observation?

But I agree with Graf Zahl here.

Also +1ing @Graf Zahl on this one. My life's much more balanced since I don't have to check the dislikes.

Sure, I have to be more vigilant about any content without such indicator of bs, but then again, you guys all should have done that in the first place.

1 hour ago, Katamori said:

Sure, I have to be more vigilant about any content without such indicator of bs, but then again, you guys all should have done that in the first place.

The problem is that unnecessary vigilance is required now, since the bullshit isn't apparent at first glance. If something had 1000 dislikes and 20 likes, you could skim right past it. Now more time will be wasted having to actually watch the bullshit to find out if it's bullshit or not, and more brain cells will be killed having to read comments. It's not something I had to do in the first place because there was a big red sign that said "this is bullshit".

The argument that dislikes were being used as a weapon is absolutely true when it comes to things like politics and such. It's not like that's some kind of secret. Anyone who didn't know that people were dislike bombing political videos is an idiot, but then again most people getting their political information from Youtubers are idiots in general. But dislikes were useful when it came to things that I actually watched, like tech tutorials.

10 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The argument that dislikes were being used as a weapon is absolutely true when it comes to things like politics and such. It's not like that's some kind of secret. Anyone who didn't know that people were dislike bombing political videos is an idiot, but then again most people getting their political information from Youtubers are idiots in general. But dislikes were useful when it came to things that I actually watched, like tech tutorials.

^This absolutely. While there is no doubt that dislike button was used as a weapon do review bombing, it was also used to keep scams, fake tutorials, clickbaits or other crap in check. Keeping the latter in check is far more important than preventing the former.