Thanks for the feedback!

I've made a fixed version:

- texture fix at exit

- more texture variation in rooms

- minor geometry changes and fixes

- replaced most of the archviles with chaingunners

download:

woodcrawl fixed

@Dusty_Rhodes nice map - couldn't do commentary but had fun doing another saveless practiced run

First time couldn't find BFG - map changing secret

Don't like Archvile on a ledge but like how you can get him, but other monsters can teleport up there too may wanna block em

You can fall into the blood pit and not get out and not die - make it a pain sector or give a way out please that's annoying - even make the draw bridge lowerable

other than that good times - I flew around to see how you did the double windows and think  that's clever

Also happy to teleport cyber instead of fight him

45 minutes ago, Clippy said:

@Dusty_Rhodes nice map - couldn't do commentary but had fun doing another saveless practiced run

First time couldn't find BFG - map changing secret

Don't like Archvile on a ledge but like how you can get him, but other monsters can teleport up there too may wanna block em

You can fall into the blood pit and not get out and not die - make it a pain sector or give a way out please that's annoying - even make the draw bridge lowerable

other than that good times - I flew around to see how you did the double windows and think  that's clever

Also happy to teleport cyber instead of fight him

Thanks for playing and I'm glad you enjoyed.

I guess playtesting exists for a reason, because the way I tested the map, I did the archie frag after clearing the building. Never thought of doing it differently. Glad you brought that up. Also, I'm pretty sure there are Sigil - style teleporters in the blood. If not, I'll take a look. As usual, great playing and I really enjoyed watching! Just like with Map03, I think when approached with a plan, this one is really fun.

*edit just checked there's two teleporters, one on each side of the bridge

Edited by Dusty_Rhodes

17 minutes ago, CBM said:

new very easy tiny wooden speed map

newwood, download:

newwood

that was easy lol

Also Computer map being the only secret is pound for pound the most pointless secret ever

26 minutes ago, Clippy said:

that was easy lol

Also Computer map being the only secret is pound for pound the most pointless secret ever

lol fair enough

I did a speedmap for 30 minutes coz I got all inspired from this thread.

If I was to continue this speedmap beyond 30 minutes, I might get really ambitious and add such luxuries as non default textures, a P1 start, and if I get really funky, a door.

I really suck at speedmapping, is what I'm saying here. Also, severe mappers block, which I have had for literal years, is a thing.

People who can speedmap, you guys are awesome. Legit.

21 minutes ago, Kyka said:

I did a speedmap for 30 minutes coz I got all inspired from this thread.

If I was to continue this speedmap beyond 30 minutes, I might get really ambitious and add such luxuries as non default textures, a P1 start, and if I get really funky, a door.

I really suck at speedmapping, is what I'm saying here. Also, severe mappers block, which I have had for literal years, is a thing.

People who can speedmap, you guys are awesome. Legit.

Thank you! This thread has become a little hub for speedmapping and I'm really proud of everyone that's contributed.

Don't worry about speedmaps being bad, mine aren't that great. Also, things placement, lighting, and texturing being part of the 30 minutes isn't fair. Maybe stick to just the layout. Add the other stuff later. Mappers' block can be killed with practice. I would love to see some maps from you! 

@Kyka I’ve been limiting myself to 30 minutes for layout but leaving the rest to texturing, thing placement, testing etc. And “the rest”…well I try to keep it to 90 minutes for the rest, which is pretty generous, but my tendency to drill down into silly details (while losing the bigger picture of course) tends to get the better of me…

For a wad made in a half hour, it's pretty well designed, if like you say kind of procedurally-generated looking. You're obviously something of an experienced mapper.

Did the crop of these that have been posted since the last time I looked:

Dubbag's Tiny Terror: Short and to the point. Very compact. Nice.

tinyterror.zip

Dusty_Rhodes' Rhodes4: Deserves a full map treatment, it's a pretty decent base for slaughter, with more time for architecture and space-filling.

rhodes4.zip - the max accidentally skips a secret linedef even though it gets all of them, lol.

CBM's newwood: Very wooden. I genuinely kept getting lost in this map despite how small it is, but I only had to play it once lol.

newwood.zip

On 11/29/2021 at 1:10 PM, CBM said:

Any recommendations for improvements?

I'm not really sure. I haven't played the new version you posted, but the one I played I'd say was pretty fine as it was. Calling it clean-up was the closest phrasing I could think of, since the way you have to deal with all the Archviles is by pulling them out and then mopping everything up, unless you're crazy and suicidal. You seem to really like thin hallways, and I really hate thin hallways, but that's a lot of my pacifist speedrunning blood talking.

2 hours ago, Maribo said:

Did the crop of these that have been posted since the last time I looked:

Dubbag's Tiny Terror: Short and to the point. Very compact. Nice.

tinyterror.zip

Dusty_Rhodes' Rhodes4: Deserves a full map treatment, it's a pretty decent base for slaughter, with more time for architecture and space-filling.

rhodes4.zip - the max accidentally skips a secret linedef even though it gets all of them, lol.

CBM's newwood: Very wooden. I genuinely kept getting lost in this map despite how small it is, but I only had to play it once lol.

newwood.zip

I'm not really sure. I haven't played the new version you posted, but the one I played I'd say was pretty fine as it was. Calling it clean-up was the closest phrasing I could think of, since the way you have to deal with all the Archviles is by pulling them out and then mopping everything up, unless you're crazy and suicidal. You seem to really like thin hallways, and I really hate thin hallways, but that's a lot of my pacifist speedrunning blood talking.

Hey! More Maribo demos!

Really good playing. Your first run seemed confused, so sorry if the level wasn't clear. Any way I can improve in that regard?

The successful run was great, the double caco telefrag was impressive. Hope you enjoyed it!

7 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Thank you! This thread has become a little hub for speedmapping and I'm really proud of everyone that's contributed.

Don't worry about speedmaps being bad, mine aren't that great. Also, things placement, lighting, and texturing being part of the 30 minutes isn't fair. Maybe stick to just the layout. Add the other stuff later. Mappers' block can be killed with practice. I would love to see some maps from you! 

Haha thank you so much for the encouragement. And even if I stick to just the layout, there really wasn't much more than a couple of rooms. Actually literally there wasn't much more than a couple of rooms.

I really like the fact that there is a speedmapping 'sticky' thread like this. I don't have a lot of time irl, but I do like to watch the demo's posted here.

I am such a perfectionist. lol I made my first map for TNT Revilution in 2009. And everytime I play it, I see things that I have to change. As well as some other old maps that we are working on for TNT Forever. I just realised that I should start a slowmapping thread: a lot like this thread, but the rules are you have to take more than, say, 5 years to finish a map, and then you can post it on that thread. A minimum time requirement, rather than a maximum one!

5 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

@Kyka I’ve been limiting myself to 30 minutes for layout but leaving the rest to texturing, thing placement, testing etc. And “the rest”…well I try to keep it to 90 minutes for the rest, which is pretty generous, but my tendency to drill down into silly details (while losing the bigger picture of course) tends to get the better of me…

I have a tendency to do that too. To get super focused on the small details, and lose the bigger picture. I do it much less than I used to, but I am still not great with it.

But your time limitations seem reasonable to me. :) Thanks for the reply.

9 hours ago, Kyka said:

I am such a perfectionist. lol I made my first map for TNT Revilution in 2009. And everytime I play it, I see things that I have to change. As well as some other old maps that we are working on for TNT Forever. I just realised that I should start a slowmapping thread

Your maps from TNTR are excellent, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Seriously, the maps you made or co - authored my favorite levels in the wad. 

Your levels (that I've played) have a lot of detail to them and I'd love to see that translated into a smaller package. 

Oh well, I better get working on some maps to post in five years!

@Dusty_Rhodes Hey dude, really appreciate the encouragement. I don't think any of the maps in TNTR are completely my own though. iirc, I am credited on 6 maps, several of which I only did detailing, enhancements/extra areas etc etc. Interestingly enough, there are 6-8 other maps that I did a lot of work on which I was not credited for. This is not a criticism at anyone, especially the good people who finally turned that project into such a polished final product. The fault is my own, as I left the project, and no one who put that project back together after I left had any real way of knowing what I had worked on in many cases.

I only played TNTR for the first time myself in the last year or so and was very impressed with the final result, and in the end was grateful to have contributed to it.

Thanks again for the kind words.

22 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Hey! More Maribo demos!

Really good playing. Your first run seemed confused, so sorry if the level wasn't clear. Any way I can improve in that regard?

The successful run was great, the double caco telefrag was impressive. Hope you enjoyed it!

Watching back the demo now and I'll explain some stuff that probably looks weird:
The starting room movement is because I looked at the map and saw the secret sectors but couldn't figure out what their deal was. Same deal with the pillars that had arachnotrons, saw secret sectors and the teleport lines but couldn't figure it out. I think I was just secret hunting since the level has so much open space that you can kind of just run off and do whatever, I really wanted to figure out how to nab the BFG but I didn't see the hint about the starting room switch.

I don't think there's any navigational issues with the level, I was just running around looking for secrets and didn't pay enough attention to what monsters were still alive. I did miss the stairs up to the yellow key room, but that's probably because I turned my brain off and nearly boxed myself in with the barons and mancubi.

just now I learned how to replace music in vanilla doom maps... I can use midi files then place them right after the levels and name them correctly... for example D_RUNNIN

I just need a place to download midi files

2 hours ago, CBM said:

just now I learned how to replace music in vanilla doom maps... I can use midi files then place them right after the levels and name them correctly... for example D_RUNNIN

I just need a place to download midi files

Yeah there's plenty around. You can also take them from wads, just make sure to credit your sources. And if you need any help with adding things to wads like Dehacked or CREDITS and SWITCHES lumps, new textures or menu graphics, I can help with that.

So due to @Stupid Bunny I decided to make a Heretic speedmap: Heretic_20min.zip

It's a little rough around the edges, but it runs in vanilla Heretic. It's the first time I've made a Heretic map, and it's a lot different than Doom. There's only like 99 textures and like 12 flats too lol. I have no idea why there's so little to work with visually. Anyway, I made this one in about 20 minutes, texturing and thing placement and all. Hope you have some fun.

Here's a couple screenshots from the editor, since I don't know if Sprinkled Heretic has screenshots (it probably does and I'm just dumb)

Screenshot 2021-12-04 085301.png

Screenshot 2021-12-04 085326.png

@Dusty_Rhodes Hell yeah, a Heretic speedmap!  20 minutes is insanely short, even for a minimal map like this, so I'm impressed, especially given the detail applied to parts of it.

Short, simple but good fun, especially the starting arena.  Putting the Tome front and center is always a nice touch, makes cleaning everybody up real satisfying.  

Now we we need a Hexen speed map.  I tried but got all sorts of ACS errors :D back to Doom!

I love the positivity in this thread, so I thought I'd contribute something as well!
Basically just one, fairly difficult slaughter arena. Boom-compatible, the music is from SoR.
Making the actual map took closer to 40 minutes, unfortunately, and I didn't really care for the 25 monsters limit.
Anyways, hope some people will enjoy this :)

Screenshot_Doom_20211204_202956.png.8bc44d7280878a3dbfe52494a677dbc0.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VLYUQWvaLsoQ686VanBLQsDhk6hW5gOE/view?usp=sharing

8 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

@Dusty_Rhodes Hell yeah, a Heretic speedmap!  20 minutes is insanely short, even for a minimal map like this, so I'm impressed, especially given the detail applied to parts of it.

Short, simple but good fun, especially the starting arena.  Putting the Tome front and center is always a nice touch, makes cleaning everybody up real satisfying.  

Thanks! It was really fun to make. The Tome made it infinitely more fun, you can have it last the whole level too. I like Heretic and fully plan to make more maps for it some time.

5 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Now we we need a Hexen speed map.  I tried but got all sorts of ACS errors :D back to Doom!

Dude, I don't even know how to make doors or teleporters. It's  different to Doom's tag and forget it style. I tried to do something last night, but I was so confused. As for ACS errors, you just have to have a script for each level. It doesn't have to have anything it, you just need one.

If you want help with ACS, I'm sure @SMG_Man would help, he's really good at it. I see his contributions on the editing question threads a lot.

3 hours ago, Yumheart said:

I love the positivity in this thread, so I thought I'd contribute something as well!
Basically just one, fairly difficult slaughter arena. Boom-compatible, the music is from SoR.
Making the actual map took closer to 40 minutes, unfortunately, and I didn't really care for the 25 monsters limit.
Anyways, hope some people will enjoy this :)

Screenshot_Doom_20211204_202956.png.8bc44d7280878a3dbfe52494a677dbc0.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VLYUQWvaLsoQ686VanBLQsDhk6hW5gOE/view?usp=sharing

Woah Yumheart, this looks really cool! I'll check it out.

12 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

If you want help with ACS, I'm sure @SMG_Man would help, he's really good at it.

Ah, I'm not so sure. I'm pretty alright with ZDoom's style of ACS, but I believe Hexen's original implementation of it is a bit different. I would def have to take a look there.

While I'm here, in the spirit of the thread I may as well share a speedmap I made for the TNT community project - Baron's Realm.zip

Build time was about 4 hours, then a bit more spent putting down only monsters and supplies. It's a limit removing map replacing level 25 of TNT:

Spoiler

DOOM0004.png.6fd5cd369120c3b4e3d7c3eed872cdce.pngDOOM0005.png.296d8b78d46b86f2814f85475c466fc4.pngDOOM0006.png.d8fb3f2623d365c3e6589bb58319030b.png

Biodegradable was kind enough to give it a run a few days ago:

2 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Ah, I'm not so sure. I'm pretty alright with ZDoom's style of ACS, but I believe Hexen's original implementation of it is a bit different. I would def have to take a look there.

While I'm here, in the spirit of the thread I may as well share a speedmap I made for the TNT community project - Baron's Realm.zip

Build time was about 4 hours, then a bit more spent putting down only monsters and supplies. It's a limit removing map replacing level 25 of TNT:

That looks awesome! Another sweet speedmap. These screenshots look great.

While I'm here, @Yumheart your map looks beautiful, great use of wood, blood, water, and FIREBLU. However, I am a Doom scrub and can't get past the archviles. It's a really fun map, I'm just bad :P

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

That looks awesome! Another sweet speedmap. These screenshots look great.

While I'm here, @Yumheart your map looks beautiful, great use of wood, blood, water, and FIREBLU. However, I am a Doom scrub and can't get past the archviles. It's a really fun map, I'm just bad :P

I gave this one a try too up until the archies came out in an unreachable sea of monster spam

Sorry to say I had to tap as well

3 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

1 minute ago, Clippy said:

I gave this one a try too up until the archies came out in an unreachable sea of monster spam

Sorry about that, slaughter really isn't for everyone. But thanks for giving it a try ^ w^

2 minutes ago, Clippy said:

I gave it like ten tries lol, I'm bad. But hey, I'll give it another shot tomorrow, maybe I'll get it then.