Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

GTA The Trilogy/Definitive Edition

I've seen a lot of stuff about it, but my favorite thing is finding out that Grove Street Studios (who did the remaster) is War Drum 2.0, like it's legit the same studio rebranded. War Drum was responsible for a lot of the shitty ports of the GTA Trilogy.  It even says so on their website: https://grovestreetgames.com/about-us/

Imagine having your singleplayer game be unplayable to those who bought it for 3 days straight (well, close to 3) because your online service went down and then imagine also having to pull it down meaning they still can't play it because you literally forgot to remove copyrighted material you no longer have the rights to.

Are we still talking about a multimillion company here? You sure they didn't outsource to Digital Homicide to make this fucking thing? Like the PC ports were shit already, the old version of GTA San Andreas is unplayable if you have 2 monitors (if a car explodes the game crashes, this makes the tutorial literally impossible without mods) and Don't get me started on GTA 4 and how I have to actively commit a crime to even play it at this point.

Jesus H Christ the bar was low for this remaster and yet here they are limbo dancing all the way down with the devils just to fall under said bar. GTA San Andreas on the Xbox 360 was bad enough being the technical difficulties nightmare that it is but you telling me they decided to top that one and shit the bed across the board?

Incredible, Welcom to Vice City gentlemen.

This entire port, just from the screenshots alone, screams " Let's release a half-assed port and make quick money", but somehow worse in every possible way. Everything about this is lazy and borderline insulting to people who loved the original games and were looking for a more modern facelift for almost 20 year old games. I'd love to know if there were development issues and they decided to ship it out the door early, hoping that no one would notice. That would at least excuse SOME of the issues with this port. Well, the graphical ones anyway, I have no idea about performance since I am definitely not buying this... thing.

Seriously, how would anyone not notice this.

Developers have really set the bar low when it comes to remasters and rereleases. They're nearly always a significant downgrade from the original release. It's always about easy money. The only Developer that I really think deserves credit for their rereleases would be NightDive studios( Yes, I know Blood: Fresh Supply was broken upon release, but that wasn't Nightdive's fault.) since their ports fix a lot of issues and bring often forgotten games to a new generation.

Rockstar seem to be getting lazier and lazier when it comes to their ports. The latest GTA 5 port had, in the actual trailer, graphics glitches such as number plates being the wrong colour and a character sitting on two chairs that have melded into each other. If you want proof, here's a video on it. 

I'm really tempted to leave a link to that Gordon Ramsay clip. I think we all know the one.

Lmao I decided I wasn't gonna buy this even before I knew of all the hilarious character models and 90% of the stuff mentioned in this thread so far. I just saw that they upped the draw distance in SA so much that you can see Chiliad and SF from Los Santos (well, if you fly above it, at least) and noped right the hell out. That would destroy all the atmosphere in the game for me, so I'll stick to the originals, thank you very much. It's like those Morrowind mods that make you able to see the entire island. Sure it's interesting to look at once, but playing the games like that? Fuck no.

2 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

This entire port, just from the screenshots alone, screams " Let's release a half-assed port and make quick money", but somehow worse in every possible way. Everything about this is lazy and borderline insulting to people who loved the original games and were looking for a more modern facelift for almost 20 year old games. I'd love to know if there were development issues and they decided to ship it out the door early, hoping that no one would notice. That would at least excuse SOME of the issues with this port. Well, the graphical ones anyway, I have no idea about performance since I am definitely not buying this... thing.

Seriously, how would anyone not notice this.

Developers have really set the bar low when it comes to remasters and rereleases. They're nearly always a significant downgrade from the original release. It's always about easy money. The only Developer that I really think deserves credit for their rereleases would be NightDive studios( Yes, I know Blood: Fresh Supply was broken upon release, but that wasn't Nightdive's fault.) since their ports fix a lot of issues and bring often forgotten games to a new generation.

Rockstar seem to be getting lazier and lazier when it comes to their ports. The latest GTA 5 port had, in the actual trailer, graphics glitches such as number plates being the wrong colour and a character sitting on two chairs that have melded into each other. If you want proof, here's a video on it. 

I'm really tempted to leave a link to that Gordon Ramsay clip. I think we all know the one.

This clip would do nicely too, just because the remaster *is* actually disappointing:

7 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Rockstar on the other hand, from what I've gathered so far:

- Shut down GTA modding scene

- Took down the originals from the online stores

- Made their "Definitive edition" of the games

- With all the years of experience with game design, they couldn't even make a proper remaster.

I am not defending Rockstar in anyway, but one also needs to bring Take Two into this. Pretty sure the first 2 points are more of Take Two's doing rather than Rockstar. Take Two always had a very anti-consumer and anti-modding attitude (anyone remember OpenIV?). 

3 hours ago, lazygecko said:

This is magnitudes worse than Reforged. Blizzard vastly overpromised very early on and then underdelivered as the project shrunk in scope. No expectations like that were set for this, so people were at best counting on marginally improved versions of the originals that would at least function as intended.

Naaah even by seing all the Stuff i still have to be convinced that is worse than Reforged.

I am so glad they refunded the Game back then, it was beyond my Imagination that they can make this Game bad.

Now we have a Game that looks like a Asian Rip Off and has a destroyed Balancing (even in single Player).

Hell, seing how they handle those classics shows that having some different DRM free Source of the original Release is damn important.

Btw. i do not feel bad by cracking many of my original classics, because they have some strange DRM Stuff that often isn't working any longer.

While Grove Street Games partially didn't improve from the inferior mobile versions of the trilogy (when they were knows as War Drum Studios) for the Definitive Editions, they probably might patch these bugs out later on, so be prepared.

The Definitive Editions makes the inferior 10th Anniversary Edition of San Andreas of Xbox 360 & PS3 look outdated & obsolete in comparison, and we all know how infamous that 10th Anniversary Edition of GTA SA turned out.

4 hours ago, lazygecko said:

The first warning sign for me was noticing missing foliage like shrubs and bushes when they did the before/after comparisons in the pre-release trailer. I was wondering why the hell they would cut that stuff for an "upgrade". Oh, and people also quickly took note that they had actually used footage from the PC versions with low graphics settings in the trailer to make the originals artificially look worse than they really were.

holy shiti didnt knew that

thing is something like that had ALREADY happened this year

remenber the sonic colors remaster? the comparison trailer had it next to the wii version running with the original resolution and using the worse cables to record it not only that but they also stretched the game to widescreen to look even worse

and both remasters were a disaster

2 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

While Grove Street Games partially didn't improve from the inferior mobile versions of the trilogy (when they were knows as War Drum Studios) for the Definitive Editions, they probably might patch these bugs out later on, so be prepared.

The Definitive Editions makes the inferior 10th Anniversary Edition of San Andreas of Xbox 360 & PS3 look outdated & obsolete in comparison, and we all know how infamous that 10th Anniversary Edition of GTA SA turned out.

Ok, by only skipping through the Video, this hilarious!

The Weapons disapear when looking through the Car Window? hahaha

Ok, it is as bad as Reforged or even worse.

The Rain looks terrible.

Its clear that all the Work went to port the Game from one Engine to another, no polish at all.

Edit:

Holy Crap they converted Sounds and Music to Mono?

What the Hell?

Edited by Azuris

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I am not defending Rockstar in anyway, but one also needs to bring Take Two into this. Pretty sure the first 2 points are more of Take Two's doing rather than Rockstar. Take Two always had a very anti-consumer and anti-modding attitude (anyone remember OpenIV?). 

Oh, my bad. I keep forgetting to mention Take Two. lol

Hilarious. What a glorious disaster. My sympathies to anyone who paid money for this. I hope you can get a refund. 

14 hours ago, DannyMan said:

What they done to my man...

display.jpg

This makes me want to use the meme from The Godfather. You know which one.

I was conflicted but patient for a very long time.

Now the stuff is out, I can safely say: it's a fucking dumpster fire.

And Rockstar removed all the games from Steam FOR THIS.

Wow, the Definitive Editions look really shit. I'm glad I decided not to buy this. I really hope they fix all of these glaring issues, but I am honestly not holding out much hope for that.

42 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Wow, the Definitive Editions look really shit. I'm glad I decided not to buy this. I really hope they fix all of these glaring issues, but I am honestly not holding out much hope for that.

Seing that they used the Mobile Ports as their Base and that they are Devs for mobile Devices gives me the Feeling, that they have not the Experience of handling such a big Release.

There is soooooo much Work to put into these, i am not sure if they get the Money granted to put as much Time into it.

I am doubting that the "definitve Edition" will reach the Quality of the original Versions.

It's apparent that Rockstar Games didn't take archiving their source code for the GTA trilogy that seriously, which could mean the source codes for the original GTA III, VC & SA for PS2, Xbox & PC are lost to time and that the only source code that is available to the publisher is the inferior mobile versions.

I just wish that game publishers would stop using very old vulnerable hard disk drives in favor of both USB flash drives & solid state drives, as they are more stable and less vulnerable to failure.

2 hours ago, Katamori said:

I was conflicted but patient for a very long time.

Now the stuff is out, I can safely say: it's a fucking dumpster fire.

And Rockstar removed all the games from Steam FOR THIS.

Most of the old music licenses have expired so that's probably another reason why Rockstar removed the old games.

1 hour ago, LavaWave said:

Most of the old music licenses have expired so that's probably another reason why Rockstar removed the old games.

They patched the Music out Years ago.

When it first happend, i cracked the Game before it patched my Version :P

Btw. the Soundtrack of GTA (the very first) is complete done from DMA back then and i love it.

2 hours ago, Labryx said:

"ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS MAKE A GOOD PORT, CJ!"

Spoiler

IM_UGLY.png

At least, here he looks like a rat for sure xD

Saints Row 2 on steam might not be the best port but at least volition hasn't crushed gentlemen of the row, nor are they likely to yank it from online stores.