Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

GTA The Trilogy/Definitive Edition

Everything was rushed out in GTA: The Trilogy Definitive Edition, except that HacX: Twitch n' Kill somehow fared better than it

3 hours ago, DannyMan said:

Everything was rushed out in GTA: The Trilogy Definitive Edition, except that HacX: Twitch n' Kill somehow fared better than it

You don't need to say the full title every time you mention HacX, we all know what you mean.  Even if we didn't initially know what you meant, we all know now that you like HacX.  

18 hours ago, Azuris said:

They patched the Music out Years ago.

When it first happend, i cracked the Game before it patched my Version :P

Btw. the Soundtrack of GTA (the very first) is complete done from DMA back then and i love it.

Yeah I've read that DMA did the ost for the first and maybe second GTA game before the well known 3D games.

qiXt1xY.png

According to datamining the rain splash effect on the ground uses a 2048x2048 resolution texture. Should probably give a good indicator of how much thought went into the assets and optimizing for performance.

2 hours ago, LavaWave said:

Yeah I've read that DMA did the ost for the first and maybe second GTA game before the well known 3D games.

They also wrote all the music that plays on Head Radio and LIPS 106. After that, they stopped making radio music almost entirely. They wrote that Love Fist song for Vice City and that's about it. 

27 minutes ago, lazygecko said:

According to datamining the rain splash effect on the ground uses a 2048x2048 resolution texture. Should probably give a good indicator of how much thought went into the assets and optimizing for performance.

For crying out loud... did they even try to test this on various types of machines to even see if weaker computers could handle that?

At that point Rockstar... just stop. Scrap this version and outsource it to a dev that will actually care about the end result. This is Big Rigs levels of negligence from a AAA studio. 

17 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

They also wrote all the music that plays on Head Radio and LIPS 106. After that, they stopped making radio music almost entirely. They wrote that Love Fist song for Vice City and that's about it. 

For crying out loud... did they even try to test this on various types of machines to even see if weaker computers could handle that?

At that point Rockstar... just stop. Scrap this version and outsource it to a dev that will actually care about the end result. This is Big Rigs levels of negligence from a AAA studio. 

Yeah I don't really see how all these issues get "patched out" like others are suggesting. This whole project should be scrapped and redone.

It's shameful.

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Yeah I don't really see how all these issues get "patched out" like others are suggesting. This whole project should be scrapped and redone.

It's shameful.

I'm not a huge fan of the "they'll patch it/don't worry there's still nine days before it's released!" defense.

Patches almost never fix the vast majority of issues, and if they do, it's a drip feed of fixes from patch to patch. Usually when a game is released in this dire of a state, it's simply due to laziness, and I don't count on developers like that to suddenly care about listening to criticism and fixing things.

I don't expect every game to have a perfect or even successful launch, but I do expect something more than...whatever this thing is.

I've still seen plenty of fanboys defending it, though. A couple days ago, someone on GamingCircleJerk recreated some of the same Definitive Edition glitched in "OG San Andreas" to show that "those glitches have always been there". They were arguing that the people bashing TDE were just looking for something to complain about. The problem? In this case "OG San Andreas" was actually the mobile port of the game that was developed by the same people as TDE. It's amusing seeing people go out of their way to mislead others just to defend a lazy cash-grab by one of the wealthiest developers on the planet.

This needs to be scrapped, it is a complete embarrassment and I can't find one nice thing to say about it. The fact that one of the developers Tweeted about the situation as if it's a cute thing to put in half-assed work on a broken, unplayable/unavailable-on-PC mess of a $60 game shows that they don't have respect for their customers or their product.

No worries though, Rockstar will surely remedy this situation by giving away a free Shark Cash Card to everyone who bought this.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

9 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I'm not a huge fan of the "they'll patch it/don't worry there's still nine days before it's released!" defense.

Patches almost never fix the vast majority of issues, and if they do, it's a drip feed of fixes from patch to patch. Usually when a game is released in this dire of a state, it's simply due to laziness, and I don't count on developers like that to suddenly care about listening to criticism and fixing things.

I don't expect every game to have a perfect or even successful launch, but I do expect something more than...whatever this thing is.

I've still seen plenty of fanboys defending it, though. A couple days ago, someone on GamingCircleJerk recreated some of the same Definitive Edition glitched in "OG San Andreas" to show that "those glitches have always been there". They were arguing that the people bashing TDE were just looking for something to complain about. The problem? In this case "OG San Andreas" was actually the mobile port of the game that was developed by the same people as TDE. It's amusing seeing people go out of their way to mislead others just to defend a lazy cash-grab by one of the wealthiest developers on the planet.

This needs to be scrapped, it is a complete embarrassment and I can't find one nice thing to say about it. The fact that one of the developers Tweeted about the situation as if it's a cute thing to put in half-assed work on a broken, unplayable/unavailable-on-PC mess of a $60 game shows that they don't have respect for their customers or their product.

I entirely agree. I hate that the industry standard is "don't worry people will buy it. we'll fix it in a few month's time". Just slimy.

My advice at this stage is grab the reverse-engineered ports RE3 and REVC off Github, and/or ThirteenAG's widescreen patches for all three games while you still can - R* are still on the DMCA warpath atm. I'm fortunate enough to have the original physical PC copies of all three games, and it turns out that PCSX2 has nailed not only all of the originals, but LCS and VCS too. Grab those instead before the prices skyrocket.

7 hours ago, lazygecko said:

https://imgur.com/Um05OXQ

How this even manages to happen is completely beyond me.

Actually took me a while to work out what was happening - that's both hilarious and depressing.

EDIT: And it begins:

Edited by scalliano

5 hours ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

You don't need to say the full title every time you mention HacX, we all know what you mean.  Even if we didn't initially know what you meant, we all know now that you like HacX.  

Understandable.

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Yeah, i have seen some defending like this.
Played through GTA3 early this year and also played around a bit on Vice City and San Andreas and no, they aren't broken as what i have seen so far in this new Versions.

It is explained very well in one of the prior Videos here in the Thread, the "Defintiv Edition" is based on the mobile Ports, porting also its Issues and bringing a lot of new ones by changing the Engine and the Type of Input (Controller).

4 hours ago, lazygecko said:

qiXt1xY.png

That explains why it is so prominent, the Creator of the Raind wants that the World sees his Effort :P

the absolute failure of the gta trilogy remake made wanna play a much better game instead. gta 4. that's exactly what i did. been having a blast in it. as for the gta trilogy. this image explains every thing about it you need to know

FD83rnMVQAIkOm4.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, Captain red pants said:

Saints Row 2 on steam might not be the best port but at least volition hasn't crushed gentlemen of the row, nor are they likely to yank it from online stores.

And it is eventually getting fixed since they did recover the source code and promised IdolNinja that the project would be finished.

Dude literally spent his final months of time on Earth working towards it.

6 hours ago, scalliano said:

My advice at this stage is grab the reverse-engineered ports RE3 and REVC off Github, and/or ThirteenAG's widescreen patches for all three games while you still can - R* are still on the DMCA warpath atm. I'm fortunate enough to have the original physical PC copies of all three games, and it turns out that PCSX2 has nailed not only all of the originals, but LCS and VCS too. Grab those instead before the prices skyrocket.

You can't. That got Re-DMCA'd and taken down as of September 30th; the latest fork I can find for those is from September 2nd, just after the DMCA got filed in courts.

Take Two are as bad as EA at this point. The only reason these ports exist is as a cashgrab. The fact that they went scorched earth on the modding community says it all.

Don't give them a single cent. Ever.

10 hours ago, lazygecko said:

qiXt1xY.png

Judging by how much the rain splashes tile, I would assume it's not as ridiculous as a single splash being that size, but instead it's an animated texture with a whole bunch of splashes that just gets overlaid over the floor. Of course, then the question becomes how many frames the animation has, and it's still a bad way to do it because it clearly looks like shit (not just because of the color, but imo mainly because of  the tiling).

I played this trainwreck today. Here's some of my notes.

• Playing this on PC with two monitors, game would crash on startup saying my two monitors can't be set on target resolution. Your main monitor's current resolution must be a resolution your other screens can also output because it will change the resolutions on all monitors. You know, despite running on only one screen.
  • That rain effect is to be experienced live to be believed. It's such a damn eyesore. Also it rains inside buildings and cars.
  • The game's FPS directly affects the game's logic. It was a thing in the originals too, but at least the game caps your framerate by default. You're in a car that's on fire? If your FPS are 60 or higher, you barely have a second and a half to leave before the car blows up. FPS is capped at 30? You now have plenty of time!
  • Sometimes the game drops inputs. Dunno if it's a keyboard only problem but when I hold the acceleration key, there were times where my car would just stop accelerating. This would also happen when I try to go in reverse.
  • The driving model got way more stiff. The cars seem to steer way more aggresively, plus I swear you can't steer at all while breaking. Like, it's physically impossible. But to compensate, the car steers on a dime with lights taps of the steering keys.
  • The objective markers reflect off windows and surfaces. They exist for real oh my!!!
  • The whole reflection system is exagerated as all heck. Every car and surface is polished to a fault. There's reflections being cast off buildings made from concrete. This is severely immersion breaking because it makes it feel the whole city was run over with wax. It's so... clean.
  • AI feels way worse in every point. Drivers are even more incompetent, pedestrians try to cross over streets with lots of traffic without any regards for their safety and drivers will just collide in shit all the time. Police somehow feels psychic, I finished that Saint Mark Bistro mission where you rig a car to explode and upon winning it, I had a wanted level, like the police knew I rigged the car with a bomb to blow it up. This never happened before.
  • Having access to checkpoints so that you don't go back and reload your game is nice. However, I don't like that this reload mission screen pops up every time I fail a mission, it really breaks the immersion more. Sometimes I don't want to reload after failing a mission, I feel like a less intrusive system would be in order.

I have yet to run on catastrophic glitches like the car growing in size or falling through the world, but this is a very low quality port all over the board. This is such an insult toward these old classics.

26 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

Playing this on PC with two monitors, game would crash on startup saying my two monitors can't be set on target resolution. Your main monitor's current resolution must be a resolution your other screens can also output because it will change the resolutions on all monitors. You know, despite running on only one screen.

Hang on, what? The window API can't even naturally do something like this. Someone had to go out of their way to explicitly add code to iterate through every display and change the resolution. Who the fuck does this? Why?

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Hang on, what? The window API can't even naturally do something like this. Someone had to go out of their way to explicitly add code to iterate through every display and change the resolution. Who the fuck does this? Why?

That's how they roll on Grove Street.

The fact they'd trust the same developers who absolutely mangled previous ports of San Andreas is beyond mind-boggling. Truly a case of hiring the lowest bidder with a goal purely towards maximizing the profit.

Meanwhile, let's sue and DMCA the guys who were actually giving a fuck and meticulously testing to ensure behavior on their reversed executables was as right as it possibly could be, all while fixing bugs...

26 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I took a picture of the error message the game spat out when that happened, just for your curiosity's sake.

My main monitor runs at 2560x1440 but my secondary display can't do this resolution. The moment I set my main desktop to 1920x1080 (which my other monitor can do), everything went fine.

2021-11-15 20_55_03-.png

41 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

I took a picture of the error message the game spat out when that happened, just for your curiosity's sake.

Wait that DX11 API crashes? Surely they aren't creating a swap chain for every display. ... Right?

This port is starting to turn into a horror story.

Hang on this is making less and less sense. They are using Unreal Engine 4. Did they rewrite the Unreal 4 RHI? This is just raising further questions.