Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChestedArmor

REMAKING DOOM II

Hi guys,

I've been working on a project, where I rework Doom II (work title: wierd doom)

The goal is to take the Doom II levels and ONLY change entities and sector features  (no new rooms, mods, etc.)

I am done with the first 2 levels, but I am not sure if this style is going to be fun for other players

and before I waste time building levels nobody wants to play, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Let me know if something is just annoying or what parts are especially fun or memorable.

wierd doom.rar

Just the Pwad of Doom II with changed entities, should run on pretty much anything.

It's a bit harder than the original versions, not in a Slaughtermap way but more a kin to todays wads,

if you go for secrets you shouldn't be out of resources.

Edited by ChestedArmor : more eyecachting title

I played the whole of the first map( I had to use IDDQD and IDKFA to kill all the enemies and a bit of the second map, and this feels really grindy. You're given basically no ammo and have to endlessly shotgun higher tiers, like barons and revenants.

You also mostly  replace secrets with enemies ( the last soul horde), enemies the player is not sufficiently equipped to deal with. You say in the OP that if you go for the secrets, you shouldn't be out of resources, but instead you mostly only put enemies in them, defeating the point of the secret.

I don't mean to sound harsh but this feels very unbalanced. You can't just replace enemies and not have it affect balancing. And "Remaking Doom 2" implies you are remaking these levels from scratch, but you are mainly replacing monsters, weapons, health items and ammo in those maps, not replacing the maps with remakes of Doom 2's maps that you created.

Well, thank you for your feedback.

I've tried giving a rocket launcher early, but the halls are too tight to effectivly use and I didn't want to directly give the SSG.

I am surprised that the ammo is scares, I have greatly increased the amount multiple times.

You're absolutly right about the secrets, I probably should greatly descrease the monster replacments.

I don't know how else to call the project, besides "Remaking Doom 2". It's short, snappy and conveyes that I change the base game. I have no idea how to tell it's only entities that I change.

I'll debuff the first map in terms of monsters, since you mainly use the shotgun, give the secrets some proper loot and the map ammo.

Edit: Yep, you are right, it flows way better now.

wierd doom.rar

Edited by ChestedArmor

Have you played Maps of Chaos or HONTE? THose are some of the best remakes/remaps of classic doom 2. They might give you some inspiration. Also The Rocketlauncher is way more "broken" than the SSG by many times over.

9 minutes ago, kalensar said:

Have you played Maps of Chaos or HONTE? THose are some of the best remakes/remaps of classic doom 2. They might give you some inspiration. Also The Rocketlauncher is way more "broken" than the SSG by many times over.

Thanks to the tip, I'll give it a go.

The question wasn't if the RL is more broken, it's if its usable in the early tight levels.

HOLY S

Ok, good luck me trying to get inspiration from that high caliber, I can barely write code,

this is madness pulverised to be sold as crack+.

My project idea feels kind of silly, now knowing what wales of artistry are swimming around me.

I don't know, judging by screenshots that seems like iwad levels distribution just with different monsters swap. It would be nicer if you make something your own - like making doom 2 the way you imagine it with placement the way you like it. 

it,s an interesting concept for sure, but monster replacement wads do also need ammo balance replacements and health balance replacements. Also, don't just mimic the monster placement, switch them up.

first map: I'd throw in a couple of arachnos in the middle of 2 large rooms. (But I suck at mapping. Like newbie levels of bad). Also, I'd give SSG as one of the secrets and keep the RL.

2nd room is hitscan city, but it could be made into imp and revenant city. 

third map of doom has a few places where mancubus could be, but there are not that many. 

overall, second map is so tight and cramped, mancubus in there really isn't worth it in my opinion. 3rd and 4th map also don't have that many options, from fifth map onward however, the layouts become more varied so you can use bigger variation of enemies. 

Sounds a lot like the levels people were creating in the very early days of Doom mapping, in the days before they had figured out how to generate the nodes for actually new geometry. Also sounds like Antrywey, which demonstrates that the vanilla savegame format can be used to substantially change a level with just thing placements and lindef/sector features, like what you described. Maybe check that out for some inspiration.