Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

EDGE-Classic v1.37 (Updated December 2023)

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Having EDGE-Classic itself on the wiki would be great though :)

As for standalone games, I guess technically any TC bundled with freedoom would be basically standalone. That's basically what I did with Aliens: Stranded.

Since it is pinned, that should automatically guarantee a wiki entry.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

This is a mod integrated into this particular map: it's not default behaviour.

As dasho said, its more of a tech demo.

Good stuff, no issues then.

It takes a lot for me to use a port other than mine, I'm glad that Edge Classic is amongst the 3 that are in that exclusive club :) you both are doing really well on it and..  I'm getting the feeling that soon it would eclipse the modern '3dge' version.  This is what it should have been all along.

Does there exist any functionality to remove unwanted items from main menus and such (GZDoom allows this kind of customisation)?

I may be interested in using this engine to make a standalone game with.

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Does there exist any functionality to remove unwanted items from main menus and such (GZDoom allows this kind of customisation)?

I may be interested in using this engine to make a standalone game with.

As it stands right now, the menu options and their definitions live in the C++ side of things, so editing the menu in that manner would require commenting out unwanted menu items and making sure the variables that they set are at least set to a default value elsewhere in the program. We have, if you're considering the full GZDoom options menu, far less options that are available, so I don't think the question has come up before.

Ah, yes, but let's say I wanted to make a somewhat stripped-down FPS with, say, only four weapons (this is an example, but not what I'm considering per se). It would be nice to be able to configure the key remap menu to remove extraneous weapon slots (in this case, anything after '4') so as not to confuse the player into thinking there are more and perhaps they're missing something, etc.

For what it's worth, editing the C++ side of things isn't an option for me. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Yeah, I see the use case there...without boring you with details, it would take a bit of refactoring to make it where menu sizes (in terms of number of items) could vary. Not saying it can't be done, but it would take time and careful planning to bring to fruition, and truth be told would be relatively low on the priority list. 

If you're in a position where you have a standalone release that's basically ready to go and just need menu items nuked (assuming the above tasks haven't been completed), we could certainly help on the C++ front.

Here's another demo video, this time of the first level of Lobo's Aliens: Stranded mod. It comes with a 10-map set of modified Obsidian levels but can be used with regular maps as well.

More info and a download for his mod can be found at http://firstgen.no-ip.info/aliens/about.htm

Edited by dasho

I'm glad to see active development on EDGE source code. I've tried the latest version and I'd like to praise the vanilla-style light-diminishing effect and the fast nodebuilder.

Just out of curiosity, I've noticed that building nodes happens only once, the first time you load a WAD, since obviously the nodes are saved to disk. I've quickly checked my hard disk files and I couldn't figure out where the nodebuilder output is saved. A little help please?

Also some quality of life suggestions:

First, EDGE-Classic does not seem to take into account Windows Scale/DPI.

Spoiler

DPI.png

Thus, when the scale is not 100% does not display correctly.

Spoiler

shot01.png

Dsc00481.jpg

Also, I'd suggest to add support for DOOMWADPATH environment variable. 

And finally, is there hope for "ls" alias for the "dir" console command? :D

If you're on Windows the nodes (.gwa) are created in /cache of where the .exe is.

7 hours ago, jval said:

I'm glad to see active development on EDGE source code. I've tried the latest version and I'd like to praise the vanilla-style light-diminishing effect and the fast nodebuilder.

Just out of curiosity, I've noticed that building nodes happens only once, the first time you load a WAD, since obviously the nodes are saved to disk. I've quickly checked my hard disk files and I couldn't figure out where the nodebuilder output is saved. A little help please?

Also some quality of life suggestions:

First, EDGE-Classic does not seem to take into account Windows Scale/DPI.

Reveal hidden contents

DPI.png

Thus, when the scale is not 100% does not display correctly.

Reveal hidden contents

shot01.png

Dsc00481.jpg

Also, I'd suggest to add support for DOOMWADPATH environment variable. 

And finally, is there hope for "ls" alias for the "dir" console command? :D

I've attached a quick test build with SDL2's High-DPI flag enabled for window creation, as well as 'ls' providing the same function as 'dir'. For the DOOMWADPATH variable, is this used so that you can use '-iwad' without having to specify the directory each time?

EDIT: Well the scaling doesn't seem to fly with my machine either at higher than 100%, but at least 'ls' works now :(

Edited by dasho

26 minutes ago, dasho said:

I've attached a quick test build with SDL2's High-DPI flag enabled for window creation, as well as 'ls' providing the same function as 'dir'.

Thanks, the "dir" looks pretty weird for someone that uses "ls" for the last 20 years!

Unfortunately the DPI problem is not solved.

This is what I get as screen shot:

Spoiler

shot08.png

And this is how it looks in my monitor:

Spoiler

Dsc00487.jpg

26 minutes ago, dasho said:

For the DOOMWADPATH variable, is this used so that you can use '-iwad' without having to specify the directory each time?

Yeap, see also the wiki.

Here's take two...I've added the setting of DPI awareness for the application in the Win32-specific code...it seems to work with me now at 150% scaling, at least. I'll have to test on Linux and see if I need to address it there as well.

edge-classic-dpi-aware-take-2.zip

6 minutes ago, dasho said:

Here's take two...I've added the setting of DPI awareness for the application in the Win32-specific code...it seems to work with me now at 150% scaling, at least. I'll have to test on Linux and see if I need to address it there as well.

edge-classic-dpi-aware-take-2.zip

You're fast! Tested and it works properly in 125% & 150%. Thanks!

Love it when two epic developers work out kinks in their respective ports. To me, that's the true spirit of the community.

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Love it when two epic developers work out kinks in their respective ports. To me, that's the true spirit of the community.

ade.png

(Seriously, definitely nice to see devs helping each other. Better ports for all is a better community for all!)

Nothing crazy yet in terms of updates, mostly cleaning up stuff we found after the 1.1 release. Did add one quick item to the Gameplay Options menu though.

shot01.png.d5906fe237461f4b710ad5c4e8c53053.png

It should be compatible with any IWAD that EDGE-Classic supports, so it can do "Wand Starts" as well

Is there a way to uncap the FPS? It's stuck at 35 for me. I already tried looking through the config and everything and can't find anything.

1 hour ago, WhatTheDuckXD said:

Is there a way to uncap the FPS? It's stuck at 35 for me. I already tried looking through the config and everything and can't find anything.

EDGE-Classic, like its predecessor EDGE 1.35, keeps the FPS synced with the gametic/realtic rate. There is no option for interpolation/uncapped framerates in the engine as it stands.

Edited by dasho

Quick update with a riveting new sound and music mode for EC. It uses the original DP* sounds lumps along with a fun soundfont.

4 hours ago, dasho said:

Quick update with a riveting new sound and music mode for EC. It uses the original DP* sounds lumps along with a fun soundfont.

Love the PC Speaker!

One thing I’ve noticed is that most of the weapons are ‘raised’ a bit.  Like the shotgun, you can see the back of it rather than just the top.  Would it be possible for an option to lower them back to vanilla heights?

9 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Love the PC Speaker!

One thing I’ve noticed is that most of the weapons are ‘raised’ a bit.  Like the shotgun, you can see the back of it rather than just the top.  Would it be possible for an option to lower them back to vanilla heights?

Lobo recently added a command, Y_ADJUST, that I think does what you describe. This was developed to address our growing Heretic support, but it should be usable in any game by altering a weapon's DDF entries. To make this a "toggleable" option for the Doom series would probably take some testing first to make sure it doesn't break existing mods/assets which have been made with the EDGE-default weapon heights in mind.

Still working on 1.2, but thought I'd make a quick gameplay video showing not only CeeJay's new mod, but a "Lives" proof-of-concept that demos the improved interop between COAL and RTS.

(To see the lives in action, fast-forward to the end where I let myself get BTFO several times in a row on MAP02)

Oh, I like this. Back when I implemented a lives system in SLaVE back in 2014/2015 (if anyone remembers that cursed fucking thing, which never happened) it was hackish as all hell -- I had a script for every map (and there were 100 of them) to decrement the "lives" ammo type and either warp from the map to itself, or call a bogus end-of-episode 'game over' screen if player health went down to a certain non-zero value.

Might be interesting to revisit that and do it properly, purely for curiosity's sake.

On 5/28/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jayextee said:

Oh, I like this. Back when I implemented a lives system in SLaVE back in 2014/2015 (if anyone remembers that cursed fucking thing, which never happened) it was hackish as all hell -- I had a script for every map (and there were 100 of them) to decrement the "lives" ammo type and either warp from the map to itself, or call a bogus end-of-episode 'game over' screen if player health went down to a certain non-zero value.

Might be interesting to revisit that and do it properly, purely for curiosity's sake.

I think I saw your old SLaVE threads if it was the arcade Robotron-inspired stuff that I'm thinking of. Despite the apparent cursedness the videos looked very cool.

But yeah, we've tried to help simplify stuff like that and not rely on the ammo counters. For instance, here are the relevant snippets from my PoC. A couple of things rely on stuff that is in the 1.2 WIP branch and not necessarily 1.1:

var death_flag : float
var LivesCounter  : float

These are defined globally in the COALHUDS lump.

function new_game() = 
{
    death_flag = 0
    LivesCounter = 2
}

function begin_level() =
{
    if (death_flag == 1) 
    {
        if (LivesCounter == 0) 
        {
            player.rts_enable_tagged("GAME_OVER")
        }
        else
        {
            LivesCounter = LivesCounter - 1
        }
    }
    death_flag = 0
}

These are the hooks that are always invoked from the C++ side when starting a game and starting(or restarting) a level. The "GAME_OVER" script is basically an RTS one-liner:

START_MAP ALL

RADIUS_TRIGGER 0 0 -1
        TAG GAME_OVER
        WHEN_APPEAR 1:2:3:4:5:SP:COOP
        TAGGED_INDEPENDENT
        TAGGED_REPEATABLE
        TAGGED_DISABLED

EXIT_GAME

END_RADIUS_TRIGGER

END_MAP

We can have strings for the tags instead of just numbers, so it makes these things easier to plan out. Lastly, the snippet in the hud drawing loop:

if (player.health() < 1) 
    {
        death_flag = 1
        if (LivesCounter == 0) hud.draw_text(120, 100, "GAME OVER")
    }

Which sets the death_flag to 1 as checked in begin_level() and draws the simple "GAME OVER" text if you're out of lives.

The only thing left to hammer out is being able to have the variable values persist over game loading/saving. We've been juggling around various ways to implement this, but it might be a set of COUNTERXX variables that are always exposed to the modder with some COAL hooks when saving or loading a game that saves or restores those values. Not completely certain on that part yet.

Edited by dasho

On 11/14/2021 at 3:06 AM, Lobo said:

ECLogo.png.1af3da9e4ec24ba814d63934e4bd4729.png

EDGE-Classic is a Doom source port that provides advanced features, ease of modding, and attractive visuals while keeping hardware requirements very modest.

Taking EDGE 1.35 as the base, the new fork has the aim of solving long-standing bugs and adding some quality of life features.
Also, one of our primary goals is to have an EDGE that will run well on older or less powerful hardware compared to the 2.x fork. Right now it runs perfectly on Raspberry Pi for example.

Major new features so far compared to EDGE 1.35:
- A soundfont-capable MIDI player (.sf2 support).
- Support for MP3 music and sound effects.
- Migration from SDL1 to SDL2 (longevity and potential new features).
- Improved support for gamepads.
- Expanded DDF, RTS, and COAL features.
- Full support for both HacX 1.2 and Harmony IWADs.
- Widescreen statusbar, intermission, and title screens.
- Replaced GLBSP with AJBSP as EDGE-Classic's internal nodebuilder.

- A load of longstanding bugs fixed (see full changelog).

- Inventory system.

- Autoload folder.

- New Liquid animation (SMMU and Parallax)

- Many more music formats (MOD/S3M/IT/XM as well as  AY, GBS, GYM, HES, NSF, SAP, SPC, VGM and even C64 SID)

- Sound Reverb options.

EDGE-Classic team:
*Dashodanger : coding.

*Lobo : coding.

*CeeJay: testing, feedback, ideas. 

Grab it here: https://github.com/dashodanger/EDGE-classic/releases/tag/1.1

Github pagehttps://github.com/dashodanger/EDGE-classic

In-Game screen-shots of some mods running in EDGE_Classic:

Hide contents

Aliens: Stranded

shot35.jpg.7a280b03d9afb7df6c65d6e2629d2fba.jpg

shot28.jpg.c7c45bf21f382cf47353dfb4662db718.jpg

Hide contents

Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited:

ARW.jpg.374e92f9062faef2ec75941129ebb1ed.jpg

Heathen:

heathen.jpg.81f78e8ebafb052fe253205dc8d02666.jpg

Duke it out in DOOM:

dioid.jpg.442b844970b89d84f66aa02282c6703b.jpg

d64ified:

shot04.jpg.e63d50b626f8d64270f5c3d675601124.jpg

Changelog (since Edge-Classic v1.0)

Reveal hidden contents

Changelog since Edge-Classic v1.0

Bugs fixed

+ Longstanding SWIM sector special bug fixed. EDGE would continue 
  flagging the player as being in a SWIM sector even after leaving it. 
  Happens if SWIM special is used without AIRLESS(underwater) also. 
  Most noticeable side effect was being unable to jump/crouch and bizarre momentum/speed
+ Downgraded errors for incorrect 3D extrafloors to warnings instead. 
+ E3M4 crusher bug fixed.

General Improvements

+ RTS Scripts can now use either a number or a string for their TAGs.

+ Replaced libpng, libjpeg and image_tga.cc with stb_image.

+ Replaced zlib with miniz.

+ Consolidated some EPI filesystem functions so that platform-specific source files aren't required.

+ Compilation now works with MSVC Build Tools. SDL2 development headers/libs included for this purpose.

+ Player Crouch height reduced to 28, same as other ports.

+ Bumped up the number of sound channels: minimum 32, maximum 96.

New Features

+ Added inventory system
  + Controls: Inventory Previous, Inventory Use, and Inventory Next can now be bound to keys
  + DDF: INV01-INV25 are usable as PICKUP_BENEFIT options; syntax is the same as giving ammo
  + RTS: INV01-INV25 are usable for various commands; syntax is the same as for ammo i.e. ON_CONDITION INV01(3)
  + COAL: player.inventory_events(): event-based handling for keys based on Inventory Previous, Inventory Use, and Inventory Next bindings
  + COAL/RTS:  player.use_inventory(): will call RTS script of appropriate tag when inventory item is used; naming convention for inventory script tags is INVENTORY1 - INVENTORY25

+ Heretic COALHUDS updated with game-approriate inventory display

+ Added 'autoload' folder which is scanned for valid file types on startup. Sub-folders can fine tune what is loaded for specific IWADs.

+ Added "Animated Liquid Type" to Video Options menu; choices are "Vanilla", "SMMU", "SMMU + Swirl", and "Parallax"

+ FLATS.DDF (wad lump "DDFFLAT") which can be used to associate certain sounds, objects etc. with specific flats.
  - Command: LIQUID="THIN" or "THICK" can be added to a flat definition. Currently affects swirl/dynamic liquid parameters.
  - Command: IMPACT_OBJECT=<thing> where <thing> is an entry in THINGS.DDF. When the flat is shot, the <thing> will be spawned at the impact point (e.g. for splashes from water).
  - Command: FOOTSTEP = <sound> where <sound> is an entry in SFX.DDF. Can be used via COALHUDS to make appropriate sfx when moving across this flat.

+ LINES.DDF
  - New command: EFFECT_OBJECT=<thing> where <thing> is an entry in THINGS.DDF. When the line is activated, the <thing> will be spawned in the center of the line (e.g. for sparks from a switch). If the line is of type SHOOT then we spawn the object at the spot where the shot impacts instead.(e.g. a flesh wall that spurts blood when shot).
  - New command: GLASS=TRUE which causes this line type to (a)be blocking and (b)will apply the LINE_EFFECT= specials BLOCK_SHOTS and BLOCK_SIGHT if specified.
    Once the line is activated(normally via SHOOT) then (1) line will be set to unblocking, (2)BLOCK_SHOTS and BLOCK_SIGHT will be removed, (3) the mid-texture will be removed. 
    If combined with EFFECT_OBJECT then you can spawn shards of broken glass when the line "breaks" for example. NOTE: GLASS=TRUE should be used with COUNT=1.
  - New command: BROKEN_TEXTURE=<texture> which, when combined with GLASS=TRUE, will replace the mid-texture with this one instead of just removing it i.e. for shooting out a vent and replacing it with a broken vent.

+ COALHUDS: new commands
  -player.play_footstep(flatname) checks FLATS.DDF for corresponding entry and plays the sfx associated with this flat.
  -hud.screen_aspect() returns the current screen aspect e.g. 1.0, 1.333 etc.
  -hud.AM_HIDELINES for hud.automap_option() which hides all geometry on the automap.

+ RTS: new commands
  -SWITCH_WEAPON <weapon> which will force a switch to this <weapon> if the player has it.
  -TELEPORT_TO_START which will simply teleport the player back to player 1 start.

+ THINGS.DDF
  -Crouching now triggers CROUCH states for the player when used with CHECK_ACTIVITY.
  -Added player crouch spites to edge-defs.wad.

+ New XMP-based music player; MOD/S3M/IT/XM Tracker format songs are now supported.

+ New Game Music Emu-based music player; AY, GBS, GYM, HES, NSF, SAP, SPC, VGM format songs are now supported.

+ New WebSID-based music player; Commodore-64 SID format songs are now supported.

+ Main menu UI by default is now text based and uses strings from language.ddf and colouring/fonts defined in styles.ddf.
  If a pwad contains custom menu graphics then they will be used instead.

+ New names and DDF definitions for our menu sfx so we don't have to share the same names as normal doom sfx.

+ 2 new custom fonts included in edge-defs.wad for use with our new dynamic menu: Verdana-style font and Doom-style.

+ MBF sky transfer linetypes 271 and 272 partially supported via new line Effect "SKY_TRANSFER".

+ Dynamic Reverb option in Sound Menu. Will attempt to reverberate all sounds based on room size and being indoor/outdoors

+ SECTORS.DDF
  -Can add specials VACUUM_SFX, SUBMERGED_SFX, and REVERB_SFX to affect sounds while in that sector
  -REVERB_SFX has additional required parameters: REVERB_TYPE="REVERB" or "ECHO", REVERB_DELAY=(any number), and REVERB_RATIO=(0-100)

Changelog (since EDGE 1.35)

Reveal hidden contents

Changelog since EDGE 1.35:

Bugs fixed
- TuttiFrutti effect. When the texture was shorter than the wall it was being applied to, the blank space was either filled with black or left invisible causing all sorts of graphical anomalies. Backported from EDGE 2.x branch.

- OUCH face on the hud was using incorrect damage value.

- Face on hud never looked left because random number was never > 1.

- Linetypes [268](Monster-only Silent Teleport W1 (Boom)) and [269](Monster-only Silent Teleport WR (Boom)) were incorrectly set as PUSH instead of WALK.

- Sliding doors activated by monsters now make the appropriate SFX.

- Crash-to-desktop bug when using WEAKNESS class finally fixed.

- Black screen after endgame: backported from 2.x branch.

- oof sfx behaviour now closer to original doom.

- Apple compilation now works, thanks to testing and PRs from atsb/Gibbon

- Dropping the console with a movement key held down would preserve that movement while in the console. Now toggling the console properly drops (movement) input

- Games with only one selectable episode will now skip episode selection and proceed directly to the skill choice menu. This prevents the "Hell on Earth" episode from appearing when it is not appropriate

- Fixed bug with valid skybox texture references being deleted when cycling between real and pseudo-skyboxes

- Downgraded textures without patches from being an error (ending the program) to a warning

- Fixed occasional bug where attempting to bind a key would map it to the wrong command

- Fixed bug where canceling out of an RTS Menu would instead select the first option; now it should exit with no result

- Fixed player being allowed to attempt to load a game from an empty slot

- Fixed inheritance for DDFWEAP

- Sloped sectors underneath an extrafloor will now actually use their slope instead of 0 (fix backported from EDGE 2.x)

General Improvements
+ Creating a new Save Game with a blank name will now generate a default name (gamepad users can now create new saves without a keyboard)

+ "Found Secret" message now uses DDFLANG.

+ Berserk colour tint is no longer hardcoded and can be modified via DDFCOLM.

+ Merged CeeJay's LINES DDF with ours to create the ULTIMATE LINES DDF ;)

+ Replaced GLBSP with AJBSP as EDGE-Classic's internal nodebuilder

+ doom_ddf folder content merged into edge.wad and the folder removed. The past is the future...again ;)

+ Migrated from SDL1 to SDL2 for longevity and potential new features

+ Allow for FRONT/BACK to be recognized as RIGHT/LEFT textures in the RTS CHANGE_TEX function to suit modder preferences

+ Added missing graphics for Harmony and HacX option menus (Sound, Mouse, Gameplay, etc.) so that they don't use the fallback/incorrectly paletted Doom menu graphics

+ Improved joystick/gamepad handling; added ability to map dpad (hat) buttons and analog triggers to actions

+ Added "Menu Navigation" option in Controls to bind Menu Open/Up/Down/Left/Right/Select/Cancel

+ Added cursor to navigate RTS menus and select options in addition to using the number keys.

+ Added ability to remap functions previously hardcoded to the function keys (Quicksave, Quickload, etc)

+ Added more ammotypes:  Now we have from AMMO01 to AMMO24.

+ Ignore COAL bobbing commands "cam.set_vert_bob" and "cam.set_roll_bob"

+ Improved HUD: 
  -Added widescreen status bar courtesy of CeeJay. 
  -Revamped Overlay hud.
  -Removed AIRBAR graphics from edge.wad and rewrote the coal function to not use them.
  -Splash footsteps sfx when walking on liquid flats.

+ Lines.ddf
  -Edited all Slider doors to use BDOPN sfx.
+ Removed #VERSION check for both DDF and RTS. 

+ Made single option RTS MENUs respond to KEYD_JOY4 button.

+ Reduced Arachnotron width by 1. (Even though technically it is 64, this avoids issue with some pwads).

+ Reduced the lighting on several enemy attacks.

+ Default monitor ratio is set to 16:9 instead of 4:3 to accommodate most modern monitors.

+ Dynamic lighting, HQ2x, and Smoothing are now on by default to better highlight some of EDGE's rendering features.

+ Sliding doors now show on the Automap. 

+ Quietly ignore music lumps which aren't MIDI/OGG/MP3 instead of erroring out to Desktop.

+ Reduced the red tint while using the berserk power up.

+ M_SKULL1 menu cursor now uses DDFANIM (instead of being hardcoded to 2 frames). 

+ Much improved Doom skyboxes from https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53873&hilit=doom+skyboxes

New Features
+ THINGS.DDF: 
  -FALLING_SOUND for the player when they fall long distances. Backported from EDGE 2.x branch.
  -SECRET_SOUND entry for the player which plays when he enters a sector marked SECRET. Backported from EDGE 2.x branch. DSSECRET SFX from K8vavoom.
  -New SPECIAL flag: IMMORTAL. This thing never recieves damage from any attacks, but will go into pain states etc as usual.
  -New SPECIAL flag: FLOOR_CLIP. This things sprites will always stick to the floor in the case that it's too tall for the sector it's in.
  -Added several dynamic light sources:
  [WHITE_LIGHT_FLOOR:7044] 
  [YELLOW_LIGHT_FLOOR:7045]
  [RED_LIGHT_FLOOR:7046]
  [BLUE_LIGHT_FLOOR:7047]
  [GREEN_LIGHT_FLOOR:7048]
  [ORANGE_LIGHT_FLOOR:7049]
     and
  [WHITE_LIGHT_CEILING:7054]
  [YELLOW_LIGHT_CEILING:7055]
  [RED_LIGHT_CEILING:7056]
  [BLUE_LIGHT_CEILING:7057]
  [GREEN_LIGHT_CEILING:7058]
  [ORANGE_LIGHT_CEILING:7059]
  -Added the relevant entries for FALLING_SOUND and SECRET_SOUND to player thing.

+ WEAPONS.DDF: new DJNE weapon action for more robust weapon reloading. Backported from EDGE 2.x branch.
Used just like JUMP(state_name:frame,xx%), but decrements the reload quantity for the specified attack and jumps if it's not zero. The jump chance is now interpreted as the attack specifier: 0% is the primary attack ammo, and non-zero percent is the secondary attack ammo.

+ LINES.DDF
  -Edited all Slider doors to use BDOPN sfx.
  -Added Hub Exit switches: [2000] to [2039]
  -Added Transparent Thick Extrafloors (for glass effect): [600]Most transparent to [603]Least transparent
  -Experimental floor offset: any linetype that uses the SPECIALs "ALIGN FLOOR" or "ALIGN CEILING", if the line has texture offsets applied then EDGE will use those to offset the floor flat.

+ SECTORS.DDF
  -Added 2 new sector types: [50](Airless/Vacuum) and [65](Low Gravity)
  -Added water splash sfx to EDGEs default SWIM sectors.

+ ATTACKS.DDF:
  -New attack type: DOUBLE_SPAWNER to mimic the pain elemental in Doom64.

+ STYLES.DDF
  -TITLE.COLOURMAP, TITLE.SCALE and TITLE.FONT will now affect the Title in an RTS MENU (via the MENU_STYLE RTS command).
  -TEXT.COLOURMAP, TEXT.SCALE and TEXT.FONT will now affect the Options in an RTS MENU (via the MENU_STYLE RTS command).
  -BACKGROUND images are now centered and obey scaling defined either in styles.ddf or images.ddf.

+ RTS
  - Text TIPs now accept a 4th parameter (like TIP_GRAPHICs) which is the scaling to apply.
  - PLAYSOUND_BOSSMAN: sfx location now set on player.
  - New Command "EXIT_GAME": exits out of the map and back to the main title screen.

+ COALHUDS: 12 new commands
  -player.kills() returns how many enemies killed on the current map.
  -player.secrets() returns how many secrets discovered on current map.
  -player.items() returns how many items picked up on the current map.
  -player.map_enemies() returns total enemies on current map.
  -player.map_secrets() returns total number of secrets on current map.
  -player.map_items() returns total items on current map.
  -player.floor_flat() returns the floor flat of the current sector we are in.
  -player.sector_tag() returns the tag of the current sector we are in.
  -hud.draw_number(x, y, len, num, align_right). hud.draw_num2() always 
    starts drawing the numbers from right-to-left. This new function 
    allows left-to right if we pass 0 for the align_right parameter, 
    or the usual draw_num2() right-to-left if we pass 1.
  -math.random2() returns a random number between 0 and 10.
  -hud.game_paused() returns 1 if the game is currently paused or 
    on the title menu screen.
  -strings.find(s,TextToFind): will find a sub-string at ANY position. Returns position it was found at or -1 if not found.

+ MP3 Music Support

+ MP3 Sound Effects Support

+ New MIDI Player
  - Timidity has been replaced by TinySoundfont, with support for *.sf2 soundfont files instead of GUS patch sets
  - A Roland Sound Canvas style default soundfont by Nando Florestan has been included (http://dev.nando.audio/pages/soundfonts.html).
Users with existing soundfonts can replace soundfont/default.sf2 with their own font if desired (must be named default.sf2; selector may be built in the future).
  - TinySoundfont is now the default music player for both Linux and Window builds. 

+ Titlescreen and intermission are now Widescreen compatible with https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67843

+ More game IWADs supported: HACX, Herectic, Harmony, Blasphemer
  -HACX: Full support. Includes bug fixes and widescreen support by CeeJay. Some graphics credited to HACX 2 team.
  -Harmony: Full support. May be some (hopefully) minor differences.
  -Heretic: Partial support. Item inventory not implemented in the base engine yet.
  -Blasphemer: Rudimentary support; less thorough compared to Heretic, but IWAD will now be recognized and launch.

Don't we already have 3DGE?

19 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Don't we already have 3DGE?

3DGE is a branch that was based on the abandoned EDGE 1.32 code base and differs in many ways from EDGE-Classic or even EDGE 1.35. In addition, the 3DGE and EC teams have very different aims with their respective ports. 

7 minutes ago, dasho said:

3DGE is a branch that was based on the abandoned EDGE 1.32 code base and differs in many ways from EDGE-Classic or even EDGE 1.35. In addition, the 3DGE and EC teams have very different aims with their respective ports. 

Got ya.

We went ahead and added a new benefit type of COUNTER, with COUNTER01-COUNTER25 being available. The first few also have an alternate alias for convenience, namely "LIVES", "SCORE", "MONEY" and "EXP". This helps twofold; firstly in that pickups can increase/decrease them in a similar manner to ammo/health/etc, and secondly they will be preserved in save games properly. In addition, a COAL function has been added that can directly change the current amount of a counter benefit that a player has without requiring an item pickup. For instance, I only had to tweak my above usage like so:

if (death_flag == 1) 
    {
        if (player.counter(player.LIVES) == 0) 
        {
            player.rts_enable_tagged("GAME_OVER")
        }
        else
        {
            current_lives = current_lives - 1
            player.set_counter(player.LIVES, current_lives)
        }
    }

I could have just used a 1 instead of player.LIVES for COUNTER01, but providing some constants makes it easier to work with from a modding standpoint.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:38 PM, dasho said:

It’s just EDGE; the old name was only put into place due to a gentleman’s agreement between my predecessor and myself at the time, which I respectfully honored.

On that same note some years later, it’s been officially recognized as EDGE. 

Just added DEHEXTRA support; we're not at MBF21, but from what I understand it's sort of a prerequisite. Here's a quick Obsidian map with Black Ops and SMOOTHED:

Quick video to show off version 3.0 of CeeJay's excellent Duke it Out in Doom mod...no new features, at least ones that aren't under the hood, but you gotta peel off for some fun on occasion.