Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

EDGE-Classic v1.37 (Updated December 2023)

I wonder if the path is having issue with non-English locale characters. As a quick experiment, when you get the chance, would you see if the same thing happens if you were to run it from c:/edge-classic (or a similarly named folder)?

17 hours ago, dasho said:

I wonder if the path is having issue with non-English locale characters. As a quick experiment, when you get the chance, would you see if the same thing happens if you were to run it from c:/edge-classic (or a similarly named folder)?

I tried to launch it in separate folder, but it still gives the same error.

43 minutes ago, Grieferus said:

I tried to launch it in separate folder, but it still gives the same error.

Did you launch it in a folder with only English characters in it? If so, then please give me that debug.txt as well and I will open an issue in our Github tracker to avoid clogging up the thread.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:05 PM, Grieferus said:

It's still on your desktop, and has non-english characters.

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's still on your desktop, and has non-english characters.

I put it directly on desktop, rather than downloads.

Right, but the problem is your username, and so everything after that still has non-english characters (downloads, documents, desktop etc.)

If you create a folder on C:\ and put the files there then it will work.

Not saying this is not a bug which we won't fix. We will definitely fix it.

But until then, doing this will allow you to play.

This is a problem that we also had with Obsidian which has since been resolved. It is a fixable issue, but it is something that won't necessarily be implemented quickly. It will affect a lot of the ways that paths and strings are stored and passed to functions within the program. Lobo's advice is a good temporary measure until such a thing has been completed.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:55 PM, Lobo said:

Right, but the problem is your username, and so everything after that still has non-english characters (downloads, documents, desktop etc.)

If you create a folder on C:\ and put the files there then it will work.

Not saying this is not a bug which we won't fix. We will definitely fix it.

But until then, doing this will allow you to play.

Okay, mr. Magic Mann. I also did not hear you say "Big McSpankies from McFrankies".

48 minutes ago, Grieferus said:

I mean, that advice was pretty weird from pragmatical side.

Lobo's advice was exactly what I asked you to do as well. If you run the program from C:\edge-classic, it will work. You cannot have Михаил in your path at all; this will cause important files and paths to not register properly.

As usual, a lot going on under the hood still, but here's a quick demo of our new OPL emulation mode, along with a live instrument bank selector.

Playing around with an experimental game mode. Not sure what it will look like in the end.

Is there any way I can enable uncapped framerate on EDGE-Classic? Asking this since I've been fascinated with 3DGE64, which, despite its name, features EDGE-Classic for it.

4 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Is there any way I can enable uncapped framerate on EDGE-Classic? Asking this since I've been fascinated with 3DGE64, which, despite its name, features EDGE-Classic for it.

There is work being done on a 70 FPS option, essentially rendering twice per tic, but it has not been included in a release yet.

14 hours ago, dasho said:

There is work being done on a 70 FPS option, essentially rendering twice per tic, but it has not been included in a release yet.

Looking forward to it! Also, may I suggest a name for the experimental game mode demonstrated in the latest video above? I have two candidates for it.

Spoiler

• Motion-It-Up Mode
  • Erraticism Mode (a pun on both "errata/erratic" and "eroticism", just for the sake of it *wink wink*)

11 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Looking forward to it! Also, may I suggest a name for the experimental game mode demonstrated in the latest video above? I have two candidates for it.

Hide contents

• Motion-It-Up Mode
  • Erraticism Mode (a pun on both "errata/erratic" and "eroticism", just for the sake of it *wink wink*)

I like Erraticism; it's pretty tongue-in-cheek (also interpret that how you will I guess lol). I have to do a little tweaking to make hitscan weapons less OP, though. Probably going to have time continue to move until the weapon is in a Ready state again or else the SSG is going to melt most of the game.

Great work on this! This is very cool.

I would like to ask - how would one change the head bob/view bob effect in this sourceport? Is there an option for it in the menu somewhere? If not - can one be added? And in the interim, is there a config file option somewhere that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The weapon bobbing can be adjusted via the DDFWEAP lump using the BOBBING command. And also the SWAYING.

Individually for each weapon so can be very fine-tuned.

Is it bobbing too little? Because we bob pretty much the same as vanilla Doom, maybe a tiny bit less even.

Edited by Lobo

Heh, on the contrary. I like playing with head bob off entirely. It's one thing I've never cared for so I've always turned it off and now it feels weird to play with, haha.

Thank you a ton for the response. I was able to open up the edge-defs.wad file in slade and locate DDFWEAP but I'm not seeing a bobbing command. I've attached the code I'm looking at. I'm probably missing something obvious?

DDFWEAP.7z

I'll whip up something later that you can stick in the /autoload folder to disable bobbing/swaying completely.

Here you go.

NoBobbing.zip

Turned off bobbing for the player view, and also for all the weapons. If you want the weapons to bob/sway as usual, just remove/rename the DDFWEAP lump.

Awesome! Thank you very much. Will give it a shot right after work :)

UPDATE: That did it! Thank you again. This is so much better.

Edited by Stevil

Guess it's an aquired taste: no bobbing feels to me like you're a tank or something 😉

Just a heads up; when 1.3 releases, the above no-bobbing solution won't be necessary. We've added a "Bobbing" option to the Gameplay Options menu with the following choices: "Full", "Head Only", "Weapon Only" and "None". The default is "Full" to mimic original Doom behavior.