Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

EDGE-Classic v1.37 (Updated December 2023)

Congrats on the release! I seriously can't keep track on how many source ports have been released this year alone!

Looks great, well done @Lobo!

So i did some playtesting (ofcourse!) and have some questions/suggestions:

• Please rename the executable to something like EdgeCL.exe as to distinguish it better from Edge 1.35.
  • Apparently the GL renderer is integrated, because i couldn't select any options. Not sure if this ever was a thing in Edge though.
  • It looks great!
  • I did find a bug that i know works everywhere else; Go into god mode, grab a chainsaw, find an arachnotron. As it start firing, try to hurt it with a chainsaw.
    • This is generally quite difficult: A direct attack does not work, the chainsaw only connects at the edges of the enemy. Because of this, you need to keep on running into the arachnotron at the edges to inflict damage. This works in Doom2.exe and ZDoom, but in Edge-Classic, it makes the sound of connecting with the enemy, but it does not do any damage. As if there is a deadzone that does not register contact. Punches, ironically, do work.

@Redneckerz

It's GL only version, same as 1.29 onwards iirc.

Will rename the .exe. At first it was just edge.exe but we had to change it for reasons.

Arachnotron: I like being able to punch them! ;) Little compatibility issues like that are present: this isn't chocodoom. Might be that weaponkick/autoaim is turned on.

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

@Redneckerz

It's GL only version, same as 1.29 onwards iirc.

Will rename the .exe. At first it was just edge.exe but we had to change it for reasons.

Arachnotron: I like being able to punch them! ;) Little compatibility issues like that are present: this isn't chocodoom. Might be that weaponkick/autoaim is turned on.

• Great, thanks
  • Even better :) thank you!
  • That's on me: autoaim was indeed on :)
4 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Looks really cool, and I love to see Harmony support. Do you think Hacx 1.2 support could be added?

Harmony would need a proper conversion to use Edge specific features (DDF) which is quite a task. Its a ZDoom game after all.

Same for HacX, but maybe that needs no conversion?

15 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Harmony would need a proper conversion to use Edge specific features (DDF) which is quite a task. Its a ZDoom game after all.

Harmony is in fact vanilla.
Only thing that stop its from being playable on vanilla is the size of the sprites.
The monster behaviour is handled through dehacked.

So it would proably playable here if there is a way to resize ingame the sprites.
Gez was asking for a resizing feature on dehacked since long ago so it would be completely playable on vanilla.

Hacx works right now as an IWAD. Just didn't mention it: sorry! 😀

Didn't test it extensively but seemed OK.

Harmony is indeed mainly Dehacked, except for the enormous sprites. Loaded as an IWAD, they should mostly appear smaller in EDGE-Classic, but as Red said, still needs a lot of work. It's sort of playable right now but there are issues (like infinite grenades!).

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Great, thanks
  • Even better :) thank you!
  • That's on me: autoaim was indeed on :)

Same for HacX, but maybe that needs no conversion?

I misread it, I thought it had full support, not partial. That's okay, it's a great wad, and Harmony.exe (which is just ZDoom right?) still works fine.

I didn't realize it was entirely vanilla, except for the sprite sizes. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hacx is essentially just dehacked Doom2.exe (v1.9, I think). No engine changes or anything, do it should be completely compatible. Hacx1.2 is the version that's an IWAD and compatible with ZDoom and I think Eternity. 

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Hacx works right now as an IWAD. Just didn't mention it: sorry! 😀

Didn't test it extensively but seemed OK.

Harmony is indeed mainly Dehacked, except for the enormous sprites. They should mostly appear smaller in EDGE-Classic, but as Red said, still needs a lot of work. It's sort of playable right now but there are issues (like infinite grenades!).

I missed this before posting my other reply. Great work! Glad it is.

Edited thread to mention Hacx in the initial post. BTW, it's also got some widescreen support for the title/intermission screens too.

I will go ahead and disable default autoaim/weapon kick after reading the above feedback. Are there any other "out of the box" settings that seem to need adjustment?

Edited by dasho

Now that you are adverticing this, @Lobo i think it will be a good idea to add your Alien Mod as a proof of content on the thread, too.

I totally love your Alien mod and, for certain, it deserves more exposure :)

It's first on the list of mods I linked further up.

But definitely going to implement some of the new features when I get back to working on Aliens. Guess it'll be EDGE-Classic only next release 😉

3 minutes ago, CeeJay said:

Does this support Brutal Doom? And can I run any other GZDoom mods with it?

I cannot think of a way to respond that would not get me instantly banned from DW.

1 hour ago, CeeJay said:

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I cannot think of a way to respond that would not get me instantly banned from DW.

1 hour ago, CeeJay said:

Does this support Brutal Doom? And can I run any other GZDoom mods with it?

I feel there is some joke here.

Perhaps it can run Project Brutality?

Spoiler

Jk

It is a joke: It's a question CeeJay gets asked a lot about his EDGE mods.

can it finally use all my CPU cores?

Spoiler

free idea. i was thinking about running busy loops in many threads, to make it appear that the engine utilises all CPU cores to the max. you can do it first, and declare EDGE-CS "the first port that will REALLY use all available CPU cores!"

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

can it finally use all my CPU cores?

Reveal hidden contents

free idea. i was thinking about running busy loops in many threads, to make it appear that the engine utilises all CPU cores to the max. you can do it first, and declare EDGE-CS "the first port that will REALLY use all available CPU cores!"

No. People are already complaining that it's too smooth and lag-free as it is now.

;)

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

People are already complaining that it's too smooth and lag-free as it is now.

please, consider fixing this! this in unfair competition from your side!

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

Well, since I'm assisting the EDGE team in getting a Mac port working, I thought I'd try my luck with this one.

https://github.com/dashodanger/EDGE-classic/issues/1

I posted a response with a quick line to test while I try to get some kind of MacOS VM working; I have zero experience with Macs or MacOS so it might take a minute to get it all up and running.

EDIT: I lied. I used Adobe Pagemaker on an original iMac back in high school :P

1 hour ago, dasho said:

I posted a response with a quick line to test while I try to get some kind of MacOS VM working; I have zero experience with Macs or MacOS so it might take a minute to get it all up and running.

EDIT: I lied. I used Adobe Pagemaker on an original iMac back in high school :P

I replied with a lot of stuff :)

Spoiler

edge-classic-mac.png.f5d875bfd8861d556ff55c3e80910716.png

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

It is a joke: It's a question CeeJay gets asked a lot about his EDGE mods.

That's what i thought and why i joked aswell ;)

4 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Well, since I'm assisting the EDGE team in getting a Mac port working, I thought I'd try my luck with this one.

https://github.com/dashodanger/EDGE-classic/issues/1

How many ports are you going to muster, Gib? ;)

28 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I replied with a lot of stuff :)

Reveal hidden contents

edge-classic-mac.png.f5d875bfd8861d556ff55c3e80910716.png

IT LIVES! :)