Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiMpLeToNiUm

The Library - UDMF Atmospheric Map

The title on the titlepic is cut off if you play in a 4:3 resolution. Aside from that, no bugs :P

I happened to like the vibe a lot!

As you say, there isn't much "playing", but trying to figure out how to get everywhere is something I found some fun in on its own.

On top of that, there was a bit of me that wished there were secret places to find beyond the actual playable area, but that could just be me wanting more.

4 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

On top of that, there was a bit of me that wished there were secret places to find beyond the actual playable area, but that could just be me wanting more.

I thought about it! And that may very well be something I try and go for in the next one!

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Very cool and atmospheric, Sim. I also liked the midi.

Ah yes, the finest selection from our resident @Eris, the Infinite Labyrinth! Fit the mood perfectly!

Had to give this a try. I'll just say, I can't wait to see more of these! 

This feels like something that will only get better and better over time, the further you explore the concept. The choice of music was perfect and does a lot for the experience, and I loved the ambient sounds of creaking / settling wood (I think giving the torches an ambient fire sound might be a great idea). Slowing the player speed to 0.35 was probably the best choice you made, in my opinion! That alone immediately shifted my brain into a lower gear, and help me soak up the atmosphere as I wandered around the space. It was nice to play a Doom map that had me asking different kinds of questions, like, "What is this place?" "I wonder what kind of books these are?" "Who does this library belong to? Are they still alive?". Very cool. 

One thing I edited myself almost straight away (for my own sanity), that might be worth including, was reducing the player viewbob to balance out with the new movement speed. I'll drop the decorate and updated mapinfo here if you're interested in adding it: Library_viewbob.zip 

Thanks for the kind words Ronnie! Sortof the takeaways I'm going for! I've actually done that viewbob modification before for another similar test project ages ago, so I'll totally be implementing that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I love this so much. There's a certain quaintness to the architecture possible in GZDoom, which lends itself well in your map.

I think the small size of the map makes it enjoyable as this is very much an example of quality over quantity. If you go on from here, I would love to see what else you create. As someone who struggles to make interesting combat scenarios, but loves making architecture, seeing maps like this is inspirational.

Would you ever be interested in creating a narrative based walking sim? I think there's a lot of potential for that genre in this engine, but creating a story can often be just as difficult as mapping.

I'm excited to see what else you make.

3 hours ago, FreazyWarr said:

As someone who struggles to make interesting combat scenarios, but loves making architecture, seeing maps like this is inspirational.

Would you ever be interested in creating a narrative based walking sim? I think there's a lot of potential for that genre in this engine...

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words! I definitely think it's an untapped niche for the most part, and having "places to walk around and explore" rather than having to worry about intricate encounters and classic game design elements allows me to focus on other things. It definitely can appeal to a certain audience; I know I enjoy it myself.

As for future plans, especially those involving narrative, I'm playing it by ear for now and seeing where things go. If I really got into it I think ultimately I'd love to do something in the vein of Myst or other similar exploratory puzzle/walking sims.

A little late to the party, but I just checked this out now and I like what you're doing here. :D Beyond my well-documented fondness for library maps, the concept of a map who's sole focus is invoking atmosphere is something I'd love to see explored in more detail and as it stands this is an excellent proof of concept: I do however echo @Alper002's sentiment in regards to secrets. :P Looking forward to seeing where you take the idea.

Oh, and feel free to send me a message if you want to do future maps like these in Boom format: I can rig up ambient noise in DeHackEd and a few other neat things besides and I'd love to see this sort of thing take off in earnest.

Inspiring! Would love to try this myself.

Hey thanks @Clippy for the recorded playthrough and the commentary! A UVMax so fast!! :p Definitely an aspect of the map is to get your mind to wander, and I definitely appreciated the musings on "old world" woodworking and whatnot. It's associations like that I hope more people can make and take whatever they want from their time with the map!

spent a few minutes in here and i really enjoy what you've got going on. i'd be super interested in existing in however many more of these spaces you end up creating.

I found it very good. And I can also learn a lot about design and lighting.