Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

How do I stop my texture file overwriting my wad file?

Question

Hello

So I'm trying to boot up my wad in GZdoom and since I haven't compiled in the new textures yet I also need to load it up with the OTEX texture pack. The problem is when I do this it seems to overwrite the settings in my wad file, for instance DBRAIN, which I replaced with waterfall textures in my wad goes back to being the default and the sky also goes back to default. 

How do I set my wad to have priority over the texture pack? 

4 answers to this question

re:command line Are you in windows? If so, with your gzdoom folder open, shift-right-click in the whitespace of the folder window and click "Open PowerShell window here"

then in that window do

.\gzdoom.exe .\OTEX_1.0.WAD .\[yourwad].wad

you can press Tab while typing and it will do the dot-slash and fill in the rest of each name automatically 

Try loading OTEX before your own WAD when playing in GZDoom. Either that, or rename the textures in your WAD to prevent the conflict entirely.

If you have textures with the same name across multiple resources (for example, DOOM2.wad, your own wad, and the OTEX wad), whichever WAD gets loaded last will be the one whose textures are displayed. This is basically impossible to avoid when you're using Doombuilder and testing your wad out, since you are forced to load resource wads like OTEX after your own wad.

Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, SMG_Man said:

Try loading OTEX before your own WAD when playing in GZDoom. Either that, or rename the textures in your WAD to prevent the conflict entirely.

If you have textures with the same name across multiple resources (for example, DOOM2.wad, your own wad, and the OTEX wad), whichever WAD gets loaded last will be the one whose textures are displayed. This is basically impossible to avoid when you're using Doombuilder and testing your wad out, since you are forced to load resource wads like OTEX after your own wad.

Hope this helps.

How do I do this? I tried clicking on my wad first then on otex and dragging them onto gzdoom. Then I tried clicking on otex first then my own wad, however both resulted in the same thing. Is it some kind of command line thing? I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.