Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noise

Congestion Square 1024 - map 2 SquareShip

This is AMAZING! Please do more, by all means. I never got into Adventures Of Square before because the gameplay lacked something. But this is something else. Like playing the most engaging Doom maps but with new cartoony graphics. Since it's only 1 level so far I'll try to speedrun it later.

Edited by game

On 11/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

First time I have seen any PWADs made specifically for this game, very cool!

Thanks, I wanted to do something different and Square clearly deserve some love.

Maybe the main reason we haven't seen many Square maps are its textures. The start was pretty slow since I wasn't used to them.

Played it. Clever use of the 1024x1024x1024 limitation.

A little cramped in some places, but that's to be expected. Fights turn into puzzles at that size, but they were still fun.

Keep up the good work!

Updated the main post.The map only works properly with GzDoom loading square1.pk3 as iWad.

It seems that the older modified GzDoom version distributed by Big Brik have a couple of bugs related to stacked sectors: it can't display multiple stacked sectors and graphical glitch when you are looking to a stacked sector through a middle texture.

So... this maps ONLY works with newer GzDoom versions (tested with GzDoom 4.7.0)

Edited by Noise : modified info

Here there is a screenshot where you can see the difference between GzDoom versions.

EDIT: map 2, Squareship

test.jpg.7ded0661b38e5139806c6c2dc560771a.jpg

Edited by Noise

Wow, just from the screenshots these are looking incredibly ambitious and very well done. Eager to get to these!

Some extremely well designed, fun and challenging high-concept levels that work brilliantly within their spacial limitations. Always great to see more fan content made for Square from the larger Doom community!

I had some trouble with the elevators - in MAP01 it's possible to get stuck in the lift shaft and left behind by the elevator, softlocking the level, and at the end of MAP02, I found myself falling through the lift in the purple section as it was ascending - I could stay on but only if I was continuously jumping from side to side. Odd shapeland space physics aside, I can see myself revisiting these levels many times over. Can't wait to see where this project goes in future!

Square says: These levels are totally CUBULAR!

EDIT: Just read the earlier posts - will use the Square IWAD with the more recent GZDoom version to avoid the 3D floors bugging out in future.