Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zmodder

zgameplay - zmodder's gameplay mod for Doom3-BFG

This is a minimal gameplay change to make Doom3 BFG Edition more balanced and more realistic. I have been playing with this mod for quite a while. I thought I'd share it here in case someone also find it useful.

Features

• More useful armor: absorbs 50% of damage instead of 20%
  • Slightly more useful shotguns: less spread so more powerful at medium range.
  • Rebalanced super shotgun so that while it has more spread, it produces 25% more projectiles than two shotgun shots.
  • Realistic weapon reloading. The reloading mechanism of the modern FPS is not also unrealistic as it merges the remaining ammo in real time, but also repetitive and triggers obsession. I find it more fun to play without preemptive reloading.
    • Allow reloading only when clip is empty (except shotgun)
    • Shotgun reloads one shell at a time (instead of two)
  • Realistic and more balanced ammo pickups. Doom3 BFG increased the ammo supplied by almost all pickups, resulting in a serious oversupply and threw off gameplay balance. The mod reverted such change to be more consistent with the original Doom3.
    • Pickup sizes are consistent with weapon clip sizes and pickup models. Also adjusted some weapons' clip sizes to avoid over-supply of ammo:
      • Reduce machinegun clip size from 60 to 30 because there are just too much ammo supply.
      • All machinegun large clip pickups (45) are changed to small (30).
      • Reduce plasma gun clip size from 50 to 25 to be consistent with the original Doom3. Clip size of 50 also results in too much supply.

How to use

• Because the original BFG executable doesn't support modding, you have to use a sourceport such as RBDOOM-3-BFG.
  • Extract zgameplay.zip into the BFG installation folder where the "base" folder is, so that "zgameplay" and "base" folders are side by side.
  • To start, add "+set fs_game zgameplay +set fs_resourceLoadPriority 0" to the command line.

It also comes with an optional autoexec.cfg that's suitable for low-end computers that don't handle the default graphics setting. To use it, rename optional_autoexec.cfg to autoexec.cfg.

The source code is at https://github.com/zmodder/doom3-bfg-zgameplay

zgameplay.zip