Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

My first EVER Doom one map! Made in 5 hours - is hard - all limit removing ports!

Really phenomenal Doom1 map, I didn't even realize I was playing Doom1, the combat was so good!

A truly fun and inventive level, please some day make an episode in this style, (I hope) the swarm based gameplay was a lot of fun!

I really liked the whole level, except the 'baron hallway' section. I felt that slowed the fast pace of the map down, a bit. I included my favorite scene in the first screenshot. Great use of the sky texture!

Took me about 5.5 minutes to beat, everyone should give it a try! :)

Spoiler

bHCfORI.png

9NXkSO8.png

Awesome mappy, Clip! Welcome to Ultimate Doom Mapping! I see you discovered this red light texture you where wondering about in my E1M3.

Going to play this now on PrBoom+...

@Arrowhead Thanks for the really nice review! I've only made Doom 2 maps so it makes sense it feels like one, I didn't find a way to capture the doom 1 atmosphere and only used a few unique Doom 1 textures - glad you had fun and beat it so fast. When I started building it was random but then it turned into a very generous slaughter type map by giving all weapons at the start

@Pistoolkip Thanks for thevid - great watch - you did superb! The red hallway when you were taking your time sniping cacos a cyberdemon should have snuck up on you and shot a rocket up your ass but he missed his queue! You can't get good help these days I guess. PS I also noticed you burning on the exit button so I checked and it was set to damaging - oops! Fixed! Helpful helpful!

@sectrslayr hhaha I love that texture I used it a few times - thanks for playing!

First room is a good example of how to make an engaging arena with the limited bestiary in Doom 1. Looks pretty nice as well :)

Here's a silly death slide exit because I noticed you could get on top of the bars, -skipsec 90. The setup is just BFG balling the spectres a couple times then trying to get a caco to come close enough. Recorded in DSDA-Doom.

clip-00018.zip

Good map buddy, played it with Supercharge mod so I think things were slightly easier.

I was very lucky with one of the cyberdemons, you will see in the vid.

Its a blind run for a change but somehow managed to find all secrets.

I think It could have been a harder map, you dont really need the BFG, maybe as a secret.

Good times!

Thanks for making this beautiful limit-removing map! If someone had told me it was made by John Romero, I'd easily have believed it.

Hey Clippy, Really Cool Doom 1 map!

It was fun killing all these enemies.

That cyberdemon surprised me. Overall nice short map this should be full episode hehe

Played on:

Ultra Violence with brutal doom

Beated on third attempts with saves

And found one secret.

Screenshot_Doom_20211116_160732.png.4cd457421ba4c1ed7fdeeec5181f62d1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211116_161354.png.6575a852527586e82563de0b1ee1423e.png

@Maribo thanks for the feedback - glad you liked the looks and combat - I usually don't think much of my own texturing ( I have no idea what I'm doing ) - I don't have DSDA-Doom so unfortunately I can't view your file but I wondered if someone could manipulate that exit - kudos on finding a way haha

@Soulless nice to see you! Never considered using Supercharge for this it looked really fun, I may have to try it! Also great job on UV maxing it! It was cool to see the rad suit secret used to help with combat, to fight the cyber from below - nice! Awesome Cyber killing action! Yes I was feeling generous and hoped to make a map where all weapons are given out early, but still fun.

@Biodegradable - lol loved your video. Your commentary on the arrow had me laughing! Ya I was worried ppl might miss it in the shuffle. Also that secret you found with nothing in it OMG I am such a bonehead! I could have sworn I put a backpack in there - well it's fixed now! Great vid glad you had fun

@game lol comparing me to Romero - I am glad you had fun tho haha

@FEDEX nice to see ya bud

@CBM - thanks for playing - nice to see people enjoying this one

@Pezl - Thanks for playing buddy. haha cyber demon surprised ya eh? Maybe twice! Def breaks all the rules of a E1M1 map doesn't it? PS I'll be playing your map when I can too

Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone glad to see this map seems to be a success - means a lot!

@Dusty_Rhodes thank you for the feedback I think I might make some more sometime depending on when I have time etc

@Biodegradableur mods r cool 

@Astro X thank you for the video it's always fun seeing you play and you always try to get all my secrets - the hallway with the red rectangles has one of them blink or lit up differently. Also the last secret you found was the backpack which I thought was too obvious - I'm glad it was the last one you found and the good thing is you played the version that actually had the backpack in it haha

1 minute ago, FEDEX said:

Really great map @Clippy !!

Haha you replied as I was doing my mass reply. Very glad to hear you enjoyed my map thank you so much!

Here's a blind run:

I liked the hallway cyberdemon even if it did kill me. I was just oblivious, thought the cyb was in the newly-opened area in front of me. The ending seemed a bit underwhelming for the amount of BFG ammo given, but I welcomed it in this case because I didn't save.

@azerty great video thank you for playing. Sorry for the confusion with that blue structure in the center there. I had too many action lines that were trying to make the bridge raise too many times that's the noise you were hearing it wasn't a secret. It was just crappy design haha

@Pseudonaut fantastic video - you're two short BFG cyberkills are on point. That was amazing to witness. I'm glad you liked my cyber hallway trap. I couldn't get it to work right though it only works like less than half the time. Half the time that big guy just wanders off and doesn't do his job right. I was being overly generous with ammo and I was expecting the player to take on the chasm cyberdemon at the end but you got him early haha

Enjoyable little map of nonstop action. I even found it more visually charming than your usual offering. Overall it felt kind of like an E2M9 replacement at first. I did think it felt a bit disjointed, almost like two distinct levels in one mapslot, but the continuous action itself does defend it from that charge somewhat. I thought the final cyberdemon was unnecessary, but maybe it just kinda got stuck. I fought it right at the end with the exit easily accessible. I thought the difficulty was pretty good with good ammo management until excessive cells right toward the end. I died once at the very beginning and did eat a surprise rocket, but I had 200/200 at that point.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Enjoyable little map of nonstop action. I even found it more visually charming than your usual offering. Overall it felt kind of like an E2M9 replacement at first. I did think it felt a bit disjointed, almost like two distinct levels in one mapslot, but the continuous action itself does defend it from that charge somewhat. I thought the final cyberdemon was unnecessary, but maybe it just kinda got stuck. I fought it right at the end with the exit easily accessible. I thought the difficulty was pretty good with good ammo management until excessive cells right toward the end. I died once at the very beginning and did eat a surprise rocket, but I had 200/200 at that point.

Thanks for playing friend. This was a speedmap but I am glad to hear my visuals were acceptable this time haha - yeah I put too many cells in there and you can run to the exit - not my best planning - but I want to make a slower map next time. I think I'll stick to doom two tho

Alright guys put your pants back on - the long awaited reveal vid of me playing my map is here - played without secrets but I show em in the end

I don't imagine I'll make another Doom one map - but stay tuned because I will be dropping this monstrosity soon:

image.png

Nice 1, @Clippy! It's pretty amazing to churn out a map like this in five hours. Good fun!

What you said in the video, that it doesn't feel much like a doom1 map, that made me put the thinking cap on. What I came up with is that the rooms are varied. When I think about the levels of doom1, I picture rectangular rooms with multiple of the same monsters. Particularly Sandy didn't really care to spend much time on detailing the rooms. Shotgun some more barons.  I think the gameplay is great, really blood-pumping, and I like the aesthetics you go for but if you wanna go doom 1 vibe, you'd need to go simpler. Well, that's what I think, at least. These partial tech-base, partial hell-scape maps are quintessentially Doom. And thanks for making your own map video, that's such a neat idea. To hear your thoughts about it, really cool.

19 hours ago, HrnekBezucha said:

Nice 1, @Clippy! It's pretty amazing to churn out a map like this in five hours. Good fun!

What you said in the video, that it doesn't feel much like a doom1 map, that made me put the thinking cap on. What I came up with is that the rooms are varied. When I think about the levels of doom1, I picture rectangular rooms with multiple of the same monsters. Particularly Sandy didn't really care to spend much time on detailing the rooms. Shotgun some more barons.  I think the gameplay is great, really blood-pumping, and I like the aesthetics you go for but if you wanna go doom 1 vibe, you'd need to go simpler. Well, that's what I think, at least. These partial tech-base, partial hell-scape maps are quintessentially Doom. And thanks for making your own map video, that's such a neat idea. To hear your thoughts about it, really cool.

Thanks for the kind words friend.

Often times I want to map but not commit to a big project. I had 5 hours free or so and just slapped this together spontaneously. I do have another map that I maybe spent 24-30 hours or so on coming soon

I don't think I can ever capture that doom one essence, I don't think I will try either - back to doom 2 for keeps I think - but interesting thoughts

Glad you like the gameplay - I been trying to make more exciting actiony scenarios but may have gone too far in my new unreleased one - it's like a frantic warzone

I suck at making tech bases

Also glad you liked the video - I have been having fun recording my doom experiences these past few years - primarily focusing on blind runs. But I like to record my own maps too when I remember to try to explain it

I am having fun and am glad to hear you enjoyed my stuff here

good times

@Dubbag thanks for the vid buddy!

I'm very glad you're back - make sense to come and go and play when you are in the mood - glad the timing worked that I get to see you play my maps :)

I am slow at mapping so 5 hours for me is not enough time - MMM was probably more like 30 hours - and I will watch your vid on that too

LOL "thank you Sandy Peterson" - I been getting a lot of shit about that arrow makes me laugh

Maps that unpeel like an onion with dropping walls are my fave to make

Hey Jude - lol - my cats get me when I'm playing too - mostly Conky

Last room looks like a giant battery, interesting - it's funny the things ppl see in maps - like art - just my excuse to use some doom 1 textures

good times

Since you put out such a great video of my first map I figured I'd give your first map a go.

I felt as if your map was a hard but fair challenge. Only had 1 death (right at the beginning, got cornered by the pinkies). Very engaging combat, I'm impressed it was your first map. To me I usually struggle with good combat balance, but it feels like you knew exactly what to do to push the player just enough as to not be too much to handle. Very abstract vibe, really dug it. The beginning arena was great and you really knew how to reuse the space effectively. The first cyberdemon encounter was great and it was fun running around the catwalks while dodging rockets (thanks for making the route wide enough to not be too frustrating). After hitting the exit switch I ran back into the beginning arena only to encounter another cyberdemon! At first I thought the first cyberdemon had somehow teleported into the arena, but then he came out to fight too! Luckily with all the staircases there's plenty of places to hide from the rockets. Very well done level, had a blast playing it!