Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Scythe *Sigh* Syke!

And I thought that maps 21 to 25 were hard enough but I get the fun part behind it. Map 26 is definitely doable with enough practice.

People here said that lowering the difficulty is fine. Then you have map 30, which it's a bigger behemoth than map 26 and it's still manageable.

There are many ways to mitigate that issue to convert that disappointment into fun. Heck, I even played the wad with Russian Overkill once, because fuck it and it was fun to do it.

And those 2 maps are nothing compared to the later maps of Scythe 2. That's where the real shit happens...

I saw your update but I still wanted to chime in with my opinion. If you don't have fun, just give up the wad. No need to "finish it". If your current skill only lets you beat the first 25 maps let it be. I'm the same with Scythe actually. The only map left is map 30 but I don't think I can oneshot it so I left it... for now. I'm playing Speed of Doom and Scythe 2 side by side. After I'm finished there (or hit a major roadblock) I'm gonna migrate to another wad. BUT I'll for sure go back and finish up Scythe when I'm a little more confident. So I'm not suggesting to not try but rather don't feel bad if you can't do everything. Know your limits, try to push them but there's no reason to burn out on something you have no chance with.

So... GL.

@Csucskos Do not worry. I would have given up on Scythe if taking advantage of the monster infighting had not paid off. I have given up on Dark Tartarus because there is no way I am suffering through 43 hardcore slaughtermaps... at least, not without a gameplay mod that can make me overpowered enough that I can breeze through hordes of higher-tier enemies.

As for MAP30, the beginning took me several tries, but I managed to get to a point where I feel safe making a savegame.

10 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

As for MAP30, the beginning took me several tries, but I managed to get to a point where I feel safe making a savegame.

Ohh... I was talking about oneshotting every map from pistol start. I did not want to save. But I'm happy. Does this mean you finished the whole wad? Or just did the maps out of order? Lol. Good Job anyways!

No, I am still in the process of figuring my way around MAP30. The Cyberdemons at every corner and the multiple mobs waiting in ambush force me to move slowly and carefully.

Finally! It took me a while, but I have beaten MAP30. Not very satisfied with my run, still, as I managed to run completely out of ammo before killing the remaining Cyberdemons. I was also disappointed to find out that Romero's Head can only be killed with a rocket launcher, even when it is standing right before you... Still, I gotta give the author props for sparing me the usual Icon of Sin fight.

I guess "Go 2 It" on steroids is one way to end your mapset!

Congrats on beating Scythe. Having a brutal gauntlet of a level to end a megawad is something more megawads need to do. Have you thought about trying Scythe II out yet?

I have Scythe 2 ready to go, but right now, I am going through Scythe again, trying to do it better now that I know what to expect.

It helps that unlike other mapsets, it can be completed rather quickly. Or at the very least, the first 20 or so maps.

1 hour ago, Spineapple tea said:

Congrats on beating Scythe. Having a brutal GANTLET of a level to end a megawad is something more megawads need to do. Have you thought about trying Scythe II out yet?

FIXT

Playing scythe too, first 22 maps were pretty smooth but map 23 gets crazy in difficility compared to everything behind and this thread tells me that I won't beat this wad without saves. Are map 26 and 30 that bad compared to 23?

2 hours ago, Cilian said:

Playing scythe too, first 22 maps were pretty smooth but map 23 gets crazy in difficility compared to everything behind and this thread tells me that I won't beat this wad without saves. Are map 26 and 30 that bad compared to 23?

26 is in my opinion the easiest level of the episode after 28, 30 is much harder than 23.

11 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

26 is in my opinion the easiest level of the episode after 28, 30 is much harder than 23.

Nobody should trust someone putting Eternal Doom before Doom Eternal :P

But I guess this tells me you have super good movement. I couldn't beat Map28 from time to time, heh.

20 hours ago, Csucskos said:

I saw your update but I still wanted to chime in with my opinion. If you don't have fun, just give up the wad. No need to "finish it". If your current skill only lets you beat the first 25 maps let it be. I'm the same with Scythe actually. The only map left is map 30 but I don't think I can oneshot it so I left it... for now. I'm playing Speed of Doom and Scythe 2 side by side. After I'm finished there (or hit a major roadblock) I'm gonna migrate to another wad. BUT I'll for sure go back and finish up Scythe when I'm a little more confident. So I'm not suggesting to not try but rather don't feel bad if you can't do everything. Know your limits, try to push them but there's no reason to burn out on something you have no chance with.

So... GL.

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits, but if you don't push your self you'll never improve. Nothing wrong with playing casually and just sticking to Fava Beans and Memento Mori. But I find much more enjoyment when I'm pushing myself.

31 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

The thought of map26 being the easiest in episode 3 of Scythe sounds a bit strange to me.

Because map 25 exists. Map 25 feels almost like a OG Doom2 level. Seriously, finding the second half of the map was harder than any fight on that map! A pretty low bar to clear, given that finding second half of the level requires looking at the minimap for, like, 20 seconds at most.

12 minutes ago, Azure_Horror said:

The thought of map26 being the easiest in episode 3 of Scythe sounds a bit strange to me.

Because map 25 exists. Map 25 feels almost like a OG Doom2 level. Seriously, finding the second half of the map was harder than any fight on that map! A pretty low bar to clear, given that finding second half of the level requires looking at the minimap for, like, 20 seconds at most.

On continuous it is indeed a very easy level, not that much from a pistol start. At least I remember the first half being quite tricky that way last time I played it.

13 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

On continuous it is indeed a very easy level, not that much from a pistol start. At least I remember the first half being quite tricky that way last time I played it.

Dunno, I replayed it right now, and the only problem was my own stupidity. (Remember kids, never interrupt demons which are busy fighting bigger demons!) Ammo was tight at the end too, I guess.

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I have just found out that there is another entry in the Scythe series after Scythe 2. However, according to the wiki, it appears to be incomplete. Any recent update on Scythe X?

Lord Alm abandoned us in the year 2009, leaving us the pieces of his magnum opus as a parting gift. We wish our Lord safe travels and pray for his return.

Scythe is amazing, at least from my memories of around 15 years ago haha

The final batch of maps are really difficulty, and I don't know how I was able to deal with this at that time. On the other hand, I wasn't able to finish scythe 2, too hard for me lol

Both are wads that I have found memories. Does the first one have a custom soundtrack?

This thread got me to finally play Scythe for the first time too. I was having a great time until Map 28 personally. I don't understand how you make it to the end. I always end up starting to take the lethal crushing damage in the last hallway of the level and die a few feet away from the exit. But I don't get how you go faster.

This level could have been neat to play but the execution as is was really, really bad. 

7 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Does the first one have a custom soundtrack?

Yes and no: it reuses quite a few vanilla tracks, but there are also MIDI renditions of metal and video game tracks as well.

11 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

This thread got me to finally play Scythe for the first time too. I was having a great time until Map 28 personally. I don't understand how you make it to the end. I always end up starting to take the lethal crushing damage in the last hallway of the level and die a few feet away from the exit. But I don't get how you go faster.

This level could have been neat to play but the execution as is was really, really bad. 

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I say just skip it; MAP29 is a pistol start anyway.

10 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I say just skip it; MAP29 is a pistol start anyway.

I BEAT IT ANYWAY

Map 29 does allow you to continue with all your weapons, I only had 27% health when the level started but it was worth it! 

As a bonus, my first successful attempt at Run From It had me leaving the level dead so I somehow started the level as a ghost with no health. I could move around the level and open doors, yet monsters would ignore me and I couldn't collect anything.

1 hour ago, PsychEyeball said:

I BEAT IT ANYWAY

Map 29 does allow you to continue with all your weapons, I only had 27% health when the level started but it was worth it! 

As a bonus, my first successful attempt at Run From It had me leaving the level dead so I somehow started the level as a ghost with no health. I could move around the level and open doors, yet monsters would ignore me and I couldn't collect anything.

That’s a fun trick. I once was going to try and build a level around the concept, where there were monsters everywhere and where picking up health—which would bring you back to life, but unable to use your weapons—would be a death sentence. The exploit didn’t work in GZDoom, though, and I ended up not doing it. Might revisit the concept on a smaller scale one day…

I can't beat map34 now, I barely progress with saves between fights but when I win I don't know why, just like when I die, I don't know why. It feels like I'm getting punished but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I think I don't understand something. I never had experience with slaughtering lots of strong enemies, map34 forces me to kill fifty renevants with a rocket launcher. Without saves between each fight on this map I can't progress because as I said I don't know why I win and how to replicate the success. The only thing I understand is that I get hit a lot by homing missiles in these cramped areas but it feels like I can do nothing about it too. I'll probably just go to another wad but I really wanted to complain so yeah.

2 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Wait, what? When I beat MAP28, I started MAP29 with full health but only the pistol.

EDIT: I just went back and noclip my way to the ending, and all the stuff I had picked up carried over to MAP29. What the fuck?

2 hours ago, Cilian said:

I can't beat map34 now, I barely progress with saves between fights but when I win I don't know why, just like when I die, I don't know why. It feels like I'm getting punished but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I think I don't understand something. I never had experience with slaughtering lots of strong enemies, map34 forces me to kill fifty renevants with a rocket launcher. Without saves between each fight on this map I can't progress because as I said I don't know why I win and how to replicate the success. The only thing I understand is that I get hit a lot by homing missiles in these cramped areas but it feels like I can do nothing about it too. I'll probably just go to another wad but I really wanted to complain so yeah.

MAP34? Do you mean MAP24: Hatred?

If so, then yes, the Revenants can be tricky to deal with, but I think I have found the perfect solution:

First of all, make sure the two Barons of Hell guarding the blue skull key on the balcony are dead: shoot at them from the ground floor. Then, take the elevator up, and quickly grab the backpack (and the Soulsphere if you need it) and immediately run past the Revenants while sticking to the left side, grabbing rocket ammo as you go and then the blue skull key before jumping off the balcony and down back to the ground floor. Once you have done so, all you have to do is to lure Revenants into the elevator, lower it when you hear it is full, and shoot the Revenants coming out of it like fishes in a barrel!

Edited by Rudolph

28 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

First of all, make you the two Barons of Hell guarding the blue skull key on the balcony are dead: shoot at them from the ground floor. Then, take the elevator up, and quickly grab the backpack (and the Soulsphere if you need it) and immediately run past the Revenants while sticking to the left side, grabbing rocket ammo as you go and then the blue skull key before jumping off the balcony and down back to the ground floor. Once you have done so, all you have to do is to lure Revenants into the elevator, lower it when you hear it is full, and shoot the Revenants coming out of it like fishes in a barrel! 

Thanks, the trick sounds cool, I will try it next time I play. I doubt that I will beat this wad anyway but I will see how far I can push through this torture

Map 28 might have been more annoying if anything else, but... I really really dislike Map 30.

I feel like that map goes against the whole philosophy of the WAD, which was short maps and punchy encounters. Instead, this one is big and full of enemies on every inch of it. There's nothing punchy or fun having monster closets open up and pour out literally 100 revenants. These encounters are just brutal slogs that feel like they never end and just devolve in mindless rocket/BFG spam. And it just feels like it goes on forever because progress through it feel slow and strenous as all hell.

You were almost perfect Scythe... these two maps however have been a real bummer.

EDIT: The demon has been slain. Also ARRRRRGH.

doom01.png

Edited by PsychEyeball