MTrop

You Should be Using DoomMake

7 minutes ago, MTrop said:

Who is using DoomMake?

All the cool kids are using DoomMake!

I like this

luv u 4 this ❤

1 hour ago, boris said:

One thing the OP doesn't mention is that when DoomMake compiles everything it extracts only those textures from the texture WADs that are actually used in the maps. This works with animated textures, and even with multiple texture WADs. That makes using DoomMake a no-brainer even for single map projects that are using a texture WAD.

jesus, I figured this would be a nice TODO but it's already there.

I've updated the OP to include that tidbit. It wasn't obvious enough from the original text. Whoops! Thanks, everybody.

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

Finally, tools that aren't in damn C#!

What's wrong with C#?

If you need testimonials: 

"I downloaded this expecting a handy way of speeding up some clunky stuff associated with Doom projects, but it lived up to the title and made my map for me. My one criticism is that I misnamed it by accident the first time around and I now have a pet cow." 
-rd

Self-Described Legend

I will now back you up on this 

This is amazing.  I may have to fart around with my ongoing WAD project so that I can manage it this way from now on.

15 hours ago, MTrop said:

I've been hearing that you are slapping together Doom projects all willy-nilly and kvetching about needing to pare back the textures used for the final product.

So just to confirm, this will allow me to not have to use Slade's 'maintenance tools' to strip textures/flats/patches from a WAD?

Just trying to make sure I understand this tool's usage.

If so, this is truly quite awesome!

Edit: never mind, just saw Boris' post :)

1 minute ago, Arrowhead said:

So just to confirm, this will allow me to not have to use Slade's 'maintenance tools' to strip textures/flats/patches from a WAD?

That would be correct! DoomMake is non-destructive, so it finds what is used from your maps and texture resources (via WTexScan and WTEXport), and just mooshes that in with the other bits and pieces that it assembles for the final WAD.

2 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

Are multiple texture WADs permitted and merged, or is it required to have only one texture WAD?

It can work with multiple.

...though I have not stress-tested that very much. Feel free to report your findings, should you attempt to do so!

Holy hell, I've been thinking about the necessity of a tool like this >.<

This is fantastic! No need to store one big file in the github anymore haha!

25 minutes ago, MTrop said:

It can work with multiple.

...though I have not stress-tested that very much. Feel free to report your findings, should you attempt to do so!

I tried it with CC4tex and OTEX and it worked fine, although I didn't test how well it handles the ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps.

I'm both excited and worried about this. Excited because it will make using lostres.wad so much more fluid. Worried because I might get overwhelmed by having all those textures in front of me, and end up just staring into the void for a while.

Hmm. I may port over one of my projects that has been in development hell over to this and DECOHack. Development for the WAD has been an absolute mess with DeHackEd editing and utilising resources, so DoomMake could likely improve my workflow.

No idea about how easy that would be (especially recreating the DeHackEd in DECOHack), but it'd remove a lot of weight off my back from then on.

Thanks for all the work you've put into these awesome tools you handsome, charismatic dreamboat!

Edited by Wavy

31 minutes ago, Dragonker said:

Windows-centric.

Only the graphical/GUI side of it is. The language itself is cross-platform otherwise, albeit limited to console app functionality in Mac and Linux.

This could be particularly useful for my project as I'm currently working with Ben "Makkon" Hale's Quake textures, which, at 512x512, take up a lot of space, even when converted to 8-bit PNGs.  I could get away with bundling OTEX with my WAD/PK3 if it contained several levels, but bundling the Makkon textures would result in a rather off-putting file size, and naturally filtering out unused textures from those will be tedious and time consuming.  I think there's a good chance of me making use of this particularly once it gets PK3 support.

Forgive my dumb question but why not just use SLADE to create your WAD or PK3 like normal? It may be helpful to add to the OP what DoomMake does exactly that SLADE doesn't, for dummies like me who don't get it.

22 hours ago, MTrop said:

Who is using DoomMake?

All the cool kids are using DoomMake! Prominent authors! Me! Maybe YOU, one day!

Now, get out there and MAKE SOMETHING!

A few questions...

how does it determine if a picture is a flat or a texture? and does it convert some random image format accordingly?

what is the purpose of "lock.json"?

where do .deh files belong, in assets?

56 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Forgive my dumb question but why not just use SLADE to create your WAD or PK3 like normal? It may be helpful to add to the OP what DoomMake does exactly that SLADE doesn't, for dummies like me who don't get it.

DoomMake gives a PK3 styled file system for developing WADs, which you can convert directly into a WAD using only a simple batch file or command. It also converts DECOHack files into a usable DeHackEd as well, without the need for doing that manually. Here's an example that MTrop provided: https://github.com/MTrop/doommake-example

In short, it's basically DueTex on steroids.