Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkIceCyclone

I wonder has anyone else ever crashed their PC when building maps?

I thought I'd have some fun and see how many exploding barrels I can put in a map before it crashes on my pc. Well the results are in:

Game crashes after loading things into players visual area: 30K

Game starts lagging, but doesn't crash until the things are in players visual range: 60K

Game lags, but doesn't yet crash until visual range: 99K

Game crashes without loading the map: 99.5K

Anyway I was just wondering how many barrels I would need to put around cyberdemon to blow him up....but i'm too lazy for maths xd

4 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

Anyway I was just wondering how many barrels I would need to put around cyberdemon to blow him up....but i'm too lazy for maths xd

Maths can't help you - cybers are immune to splash damage!

I'd like to see a video of this vista of barrels you've got going though.

2 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Maths can't help you - cybers are immune to splash damage!

Aaaand welp... now I feel stupid. lol. Thanks for clearing that up

Just now, DarkIceCyclone said:

Aaaand welp... now I feel stupid. lol. Thanks for clearing that up

Don't feel stupid, instead feel a bit less nerdy than I do.

Crashed my PC many times back in the day, but DCK was no Doom Builder and my computer had 4mb RAM! 

3 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Don't feel stupid, instead feel a bit less nerdy than I do.

Crashed my PC many times back in the day, but DCK was no Doom Builder and my computer had 4mb RAM! 

8mb is not better, don't worry

I once had a typo while selecting a texture in Ultimate Doom Builder and boy my PC did not like that at all.

I also managed to crash Slade (with a bug that still hasn't been fixed yet and anyone can do at home) and Whacked4 (By spamming the restore button. But I can't replicate it anymore :[ ) , but this time it didn't bent over my PC. I also managed to crash GZDoom by restarting my PC.

There's probably a way to crash dsda-doom and I must find a way to do it, without dehacked mind you.

3 minutes ago, DarkIceCyclone said:

Want a hint:? a map with 100K things should crash any doom

Good point.

I’ve definitely had certain nodebuilders choke spectacularly on my sprawler maps and cause the whole thing to seize up. I’m not sure if it’s a function of the maps’ size or the weird unmerged geometry trickery I was using but either way…

Back when I worked on Gomorrah, UDB almost crashed on me while detailing an area in MAP03. Twice.

A couple of days ago, Ultimate Doom Builder crashed while I was making a map because, according to the crash handler, "[my] empty is full!". I am just as confused as you are.

I didn't bother to check what exactly went wrong, but I know for sure that it wasn't the details (it's still in the blocking stage as of writing) or the horizontal length (it's quite long, but not long enough to cause problems in either the editor or engine). My best guess is that the undo/redo change log got too full and shat itself - I was doing a lot of mapmaking in one session...

5 minutes ago, MundyC said:

A couple of days ago, Ultimate Doom Builder crashed while I was making a map because, according to the crash handler, "[my] empty is full!". I am just as confused as you are.

I didn't bother to check what exactly went wrong, but I know for sure that it wasn't the details (it's still in the blocking stage as of writing) or the horizontal length (it's quite long, but not long enough to cause problems in either the editor or engine). My best guess is that the undo/redo change log got too full and shat itself - I was doing a lot of mapmaking in one session...

Experienced this myself. Apparently it happens when you delete an item and the UDB fails to register it. Then pressing undo tries to delete an item that doesn't exist. 

no idea what causes failed registration though. 

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I’ve definitely had certain nodebuilders choke spectacularly on my sprawler maps and cause the whole thing to seize up. I’m not sure if it’s a function of the maps’ size or the weird unmerged geometry trickery I was using but either way…

So much this.

Also, WinDEU 5.2 used to occasionally fall into an infinite loop when merging vertices (particularly in larger maps) that would grab all my RAM and crash my machine if I didn't catch it in time -- I was always walking a fine line between "Maybe it will finish" and "Should I kill it now before my machine dies?"

There was a time that I was using Doom Builder (not 2 or the more modern ones) on a Windows 98 PC; I'm pretty sure I managed to crash it at least once or twice back in those days

GZDB often freezes when I quickly switch between visual mode and classic mode (via pressing the Q key), the time it freezes can be long or short, I feel used to it.

I once made the mistake of opening a wad in XWE as it was already open in Doombuilder, saying it went nuclear is an understatement.

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I once made the mistake of opening a wad in XWE as it was already open in Doombuilder, saying it went nuclear is an understatement.

"How's it going, little guy?"

image.png.2153f5923afd14e336b9a8ac0af2f76a.png

"...Yeah, me too."