Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro X

Most satisfying sounds in classic Doom?

My favorite enemy sounds are the Baron and Hell Knights. Wake up, roaming, death, all of them are super satisfying. 

The greatest sound of all time is the gabbing sound. Nothing like firing a rocket at a group of Zombies and watching and listening to them liquefy.

If we count PWADs, Epic 2's pistol replacement, Equinox's shotgun replacement, and GothicDM's oof replacement are perfect. Squeeze a few shots off or fall off a ledge in the respective wads. Amazing stuff.

Satisfying:
  - Arachnotron death
  - SSG
  - Gib sound

Cool:

- Regular shotgun
  - BFG-9000 blast
  - Pinkies/Spectres falling

- Cyberdemon awakening roar.

- Chaingunner/Spiderdemon automatic fire.

- Plasma gun firing sound.

- Revenant dying sound.

I usually use PSX Doom sounds. My favorite ones are:

-Pinky's death

-DSSLOP (so creamy)

-Arachnotron death/active sounds

-Mancubus pain sound

-Rocket Launcher firing sound

-BFG charging and BFGBall explosion

If talking about  PC Doom/Doom II sounds:

-Revenant active sound

-DSSLOP (even more creamy)

-Archvile active sound

Edited by LUISDooM

- Gibs, especially when you shoot a room full of zombiemen with the BFG9K.

- Lost Souls fighting (they are very unsocial enemies especially in Zdoom).

- Arch Vile pain sound is utterly insane and pathetic.

- Fatso pain sound is just as pathetic.

The door opening is super satisfying to me.

The Icon of Sin spawning cube sound is very nostalgic to me, because it was a very common ''fire-like'' sound used in a lot of 90s game. I remember Diablo had it.

Firing the BFG non-stop is almost therapeutic.

7 minutes ago, Endless said:

The door opening is super satisfying to me.

The Icon of Sin spawning cube sound is very nostalgic to me, because it was a very common ''fire-like'' sound used in a lot of 90s game. I remember Diablo had it.

Firing the BFG non-stop is almost therapeutic.

I love the door and lift sounds. So good.

In general, Doom has excellent sound design. I love all the sounds, especially the arachnotrons. They sound so good.

I can't decide. Just so many are good for many different reasons. Though, this thread made me realize I can play any doom sound in my head.

The caco and arachnotron death sounds are probably my favorite.

I've also always liked the 'switch flicked' sound, nice and clean.

Commander Keen dying is the best Doom sound! And best Commander Keen sound, too.

oh the sound of the SSG no doubt about it

thats one reason it is my favorite weapon

and the sound of the doors going up and down and the sound of switches are good too

somtimes i play with the doors because i love the sound

Edited by Zero Master's Clone

I like the Doom 64 Unmaker lazer sounds. Plus the imps and pinkies sound way more menacing than the PC version.

This little sound effect is like the sounds of a choir of angels, bellowing out a godlike hymn of beauty, knowing that all of stress has just been lifted, at least a little bit.

I like the pain elemental’s pain sound (its itself sound?), sounds like a gronpy little kitty cat >:{

Actually the PE’s death sound is great too. All the best death sounds—the pain elemental, pinkie, arachnotron, and mancubus especially—have the same kinetic quality where the sounds physically tie to what’s happening to the monster really nicely, combined with some nice bassey thuds and booms and gurgles and such.

I’ve said it before but the chaingun still sounds to me like bubble wrap, or firecrackers. I’d rather my chaingun have used the shotgun sound effect like the chaingunners’ do. I’ll go with a hotter take though and say the BFG 9000 fire sound is pretty underwhelming to me, given the rarity and awesome power of the weapon. I feel like the fire sound should thunder across the room and instead it sounds like shrink wrap. I guess I have varieties of plastic wrap on the mind when I play Doom apparently

Love the palsma rifle, although I get why not everyone else does too. SSG still has to have the best sound though, it’s the only weapon I’ll waste shots and fire just for the sounds and animation sequence <3