Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shibboleth

Do you like other retro games (other than DOOM)?

12 hours ago, Mike Grueman said:

Hey there,

I just wanted to ask if people here play other retro games than DOOM. I'm personally quite fond of anything made between 1977-1997. To me, it was always the sweet spot for retro.

I'm a fan of Konami's classics personally (Castlevania, Contra, Parodius, Gradius, Salamander), and other DOS games I like include Quake (of course), the Commander Keen series, Wolfenstein 3D, Prince of Persia, among many others.

I'm a fan of the Atari 2600, MSX, C64, and Turbografx-16. 

So, how about you?

I really enjoy the Genesis Sonic games, along with Mario 3.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is a game I do come back to from time to time as it contains some really fun levels to blast through... though the bugs are littered throughout nearly every map.

MDK is another brilliant PC game as it's filled to the brim with dumb jokes. (I mean the first map has a health item that runs away, screaming like a monkey. XD).

I also want to throw my hat to the Bullfrog games: Theme Park World, Theme Hospital, & Dungeon Keeper. These 3 combined have given me HOURS of entertainment. Seriously, seeks these 3 out! You wont regret it! :D

No time, no time, no time!!
Actually, it's taken me quite a bit just to make time to
work on DooM level editing. But... if I had all the time in
the world,...
I'm super-retro!

Grew up on arcade and crappy Atari VCS(2600). Family had a
ColecoVision which was much better graphics than Atari but
Atari had so many more titles in the day.

Favorites from the arcade were Defender, Defender:Stargate,
Robotron:2084 and Sinistar. William's programmers were evil
before DooM was ever even thought of.

I've got that mini-NES retro thingie. One of these days I'll
root it to put on all that custom homebrew revisions of Super
Mario 3 and Pac Man 3 on it. First Zelda was the sh*t!

Got a Super Nintendo hooked up to this monitor which I play
once or twice a year;
Super Mario World
Kirby Super Star
Mr. Do!

Have some Sega Genesis in storage somewhere with ALL the
Sonic's but I think I sold the 32x with the Knuckles Chaotix....

For PC, just got Super Mario War for Linux installed the other
month. Maybe I'll make my own levels when I'm satisfied with
the work I've been doing for DooM. Lessee, installed on this
PC:
Heh, Commander Keen ~ Lol!
Retro City Rampage
Tempest 2000
Gridrunner++
a couple of Galaxian clones
Llamatron:2112
Demonstar
Champ Kong
Jazz Jackrabbit Xmas - can't find the other full version I own!
Super Space Invaders
and a bunch of Bejeweled puzzle crap

https://www.vblank.com/RetroCityRampage/

Considering I'm a child of the 80s, I've basically grown up passing through almost every era of the videogaming history.

As a kid I was a real enthusiast, so I happened to play a lot of games that are now considered among the classics and most influentials ever made.

We didn't have lots of money, but back then it was common to go at some friends' house (or have them at my house) and play together, so in a way we had many more opportunities to try new games and have fun every time.

As far as console gaming goes, we ranged from the Super Mario Brothers series, to Sonic and Sonic II on the Mega Drive, Double Dragon, Ghouls & Ghosts, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct (we loved beat em ups so much). We also played a lot of Tekken, and Micro Machines V3 on the first Playstation. Those were the times. Croc was a really good platform title that I'll always remember fondly. Also the Donkey Kong trilogy by RARE is still incredibly good as of today, I dusted them off last year during the first lockdown, played through them all, and the gameplay still holds so well after so many years. Perfect platforming fun, so quick and engaging. Another thing that stood out to me is the Dyno Crisis series for the Playstation. And Metal Gear Solid.

Then there's the realm of DOS and PC games. 

Growing up, titles like Dyna Blaster (Bomberman), Xenon 2, Lemmings, Rick Dangerous, The Incredible Machines, Warcraft, Prince Of Persia, I spent most of my childhood with them. Then there was Another World, which I consider one of the best adventure games ever made. It felt almost like a movie and was really impressive for its time. When 3D games started to become the norm, I got very much into the original Tomb Raider series, I played all of them many times, up to Chronicles. Obviously the Quake trilogy, but also Turok and Seeds Of Evil were among my favourite shooters back then. Useless to talk about Wolf 3D, Doom and Duke Nukem, or we wouldn't even be here. 

Some of you mentioned Worms 2 and Worms Armageddon, and those are tied with some of the best memories I have ever made with my friends. We used to play tournaments at one of my friend's house on saturday nights, and we had so much fun.

I was also a big fan of point and click adventures, Lucasart's Full Throttle perhaps being my favourite game of all times.

Then Broken Sword 1 and 2. Just phenomenal. Down In The Dumps is another little gem that really holds a special spot in my heart. And I also loved the more cerebral and immersive titles, like Myst, Riven, The 7th Guest, Amerzone, and all of their clones. Some of them I never managed to finish. Stonekeep and Baldur's Gate were some of my favourite outings into the RPG genre. Then Morrowind. Such a masterpiece, but I never finished it, it was almost impossible to me.

Sadly, now I have much less time to play in general, and usually, when I do, it's GZDoom or some more modern stuff that I buy every now and then.

I only own two consoles, Super Nintendo and Playstation, they still work fine but I rarely have time to ever even plug them in.

Anyways, I'll always be a retro-gamer to the core. Love that stuff, and all the memories it brings back.

I'd like to suggest a narrower version of the question that sounds like it might be implied in the OP: What games do you like even though they're before your time?

I was born in 1984 and first encountered Super Mario Bros when I was 4.

I actively disliked RPG's until I found myself enjoying the Fallout demo (on a PC Gamer CD) in spite of myself, but now two of my absolute favorite games are Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Wizard's Crown.

The Williams Arcade Holy Trinity has long been the apex of gaming in my mind -- Joust, Defender, Robotron (I can't get the hang of Sinistar).

I rarely encountered any Atari systems as a kid, but Archon is now firmly in my top tier of best games of all time.

I'm from the USA and had never heard of the ZX Spectrum until several years ago, but I've come to find the original ZX version of Laser Squad to be the most charming and enjoyable.

I share most of Omniarch's taste in strategy games. I'm pretty bummed that none of the hardware I currently own can run classic RTW well (the single-threading problem), except for randomly my Android, but there doesn't seem to be a way to mod the mobile ports and vanilla BI doesn't interest me.

I also enjoy the 'flow' economy in Cossacks and American Conquest, although it leads to horrendous stalemates in those games. 

At the moment I'm heavy into Romance of the Three Kingsoms III.

Edited by Aaron Blain

15 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I'm from the USA and had never heard of the ZX Spectrum until several years ago, but I've come to find the original ZX version of Laser Squad to be the most charming and enjoyable.

ZX Spectrum 128+ was my first love, had many a schoolground discussion regarding C64 vs Speccy, my argument was even though the C64 had the edge with music and colors, the Spectrum was superior with the graphics. 

Loved Laser Squad and played it lots, I think I only picked it up because of the cover to start with haha. 

LaserSquadspeccy.jpg.d6261bf294602b13309e7e7f2709c7e1.jpg

World of Spectrum is an amazing site, it basically has nearly all the games/demos for emulation and its free and legal. (if anyone's interested) 

On 11/24/2021 at 6:10 AM, Swordofdanu said:

Loved Laser Squad and played it lots, I think I only picked it up because of the cover to start with haha. 

Yess I love that cover! Even though the Amiga version does have, as it so often does, amazing music, I just find the ZX version snappier and more playable and visually appealing.

I highly recommend The Spectrum Show. Even if you aren't a Sinclair fan it's an extremely well put together show that is incredibly soothing to watch.

I'm also fascinated by Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge, but I haven't managed to get the hang of them.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, The_Trve_Raith said:

I really enjoy the Genesis Sonic games, along with Mario 3.

Nice avatar, Euronymous. I liked the part in Mario 3 where Lemmy decides to stab Toad 23 times in self defense. 

As well as the doom franchise, I regularly play through the heretic/hexen games,

Prodeus, cruelty squad, and the new blood games, especially ultrakill and amid evil.

I'll also play quake and the half-life games but not as often.

Outside of retro games, I pretty much only play modern doom and ghostrunner.

Edited by Ashurion Neonix : added more detail.

Metal slug is a game that I've known since I was born and I still love it even though I haven't played it much

cant keep up with modern tech to the point where i can play modern games, guess im retro by default. and I suppose I never ever shut up about ultima underworld n stuff lol. i know how to mod ff7, the most recent game I've played that I think at all stands up to any classics is Celeste etc

I bought a $3000 computer in 2019, and I mostly play retro games, or low spec indie games. I don't necessarily think new games are bad - I still play and enjoy a lot of them - I just like the simplicity of old games. New games tend to try to cater to everyone and kind of feel like 5 different games that could have been amazing if they weren't forced to co-exist. There's also a weird immersive quality to stuff that isn't trying to be hyper-real. When a game looks like Deus Ex, Morrowind, Thief, or Quake, my brain stops looking for the differences in realities and just accepts that I've entered a new space.

Anyway, retro games I play: I've played most retro fps titles, whether the new wave of indie or the actual old stuff. Even tried stuff like Requiem Avenging Angel and the Wheel of Time game.

I love old non-isometric RPGs. Morrowind, Gothic, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic 7, - as well as isometric action-rpgs like Diablo 1 and 2 and Sacred. CRPGs are something I've only sort of dipped my toes into. Baldur's Gate and the like seem really cool, but they take a lot of time to learn. Playing newer games like Disco Elysium and Divinity Original Sin 2 make me want to go back and learn them though.

I also had a blast with WoW Classic earlier this year (pre-Blizzard shitshow) and was blown away by how atmospheric the world was and how challenging it was. 

I also love old RE/Silent Hill style survival horror. Silent Hill 3 and REmake 1 are personal favs (although I have a soft spot for most RE games, probably my favourite gaming series after Soulsborne).

I discovered Outlaws (1997) lately and I'm in awe. Besides being super entertaining this game has a Soul. 

I had the misconception that it was just another Doom clone. Actually it's a fun shooter and the feeling of the weapons is great. Even the story (with cartoony cutscene) is gripping. 

Technical: the digital versions of Outlaws (Steam-GOG) come with an "nGlide config.exe" in the game main folder. By defaut my game was strechted (the enemies were larger than expected). With the nGlide utility I set the resolution to my deskop settings, put the aspect ratio on 4/3 (aka "Preserve original"), and for the Renderer I opted for DirectX. Excellent. 

The soundtracks stands on its own. I swear the main theme could almost pass up for a track composed by Ennio Morricone himself:  

• Quake
  • King's Bounty
  • Quake 2
  • NT Rally
  • Quake 3
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Quake 4
  • The Lost Vikings 2
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Arkanoid
  • Herertic
  • Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh
  • Unreal Tournament 2003
  • Aquanoid
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Pinball Fantasies
  • Unreal Gold
  • Disney's Aladdin in Nasira's Revenge
  • Civilization
  • Stunts
  • Pinball Mania
  • Zuma Deluxe
  • Disney's Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold
  • Giza
  • Star Goose
  • Solid State Pinball: Tristan
  • Chex Quest
  • Toy Story 2
  • Chex Quest 2
  • Tetris
  • Chex Quest 3
  • Pacman

If every title of the aforementioned games was a name of a 32-map megawad, it would be just exactly sufficient ;)

Yeah, when it comes to FPS I prefer retro styled (although there are many modern games I consider retro style like the new Doom games). Other than that most rpgs both JRPG and CRPG don't really date for me and most of my favorites are from 80s to 2000s. Strategy/tactics games are the same, sometimes I still play Xcom (the Gallop brothers ones, although the newer games are great too) and I prefer the GBA Fire Emblems to Three Houses.

I feel a little differently about 3d action games, I don't feel like playing anything pre-PS2/GameCube era, but 2d stuff is pretty evergreen. I like "pixel-art" regardless of whether it was a design choice or a technical restraint of the time, Mario World, Symphony of the Night and Blasphemous all look awesome to me.

The question here hinges entirely upon these premises: Are we listing strictly boomer shooters? or any retro games of any genre really?

Can I list Super Mario World for SNES, my first childhood game ever? 

What about all the retro games I played on a multi-game arcade cabinet near the end of my trip overseas this year like those old 2D Beat Em Up's games such as...

Sengoku 3:

Alien vs Predator (Capcom): 

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs:

The Punisher: 

Edited by SealSpace

and felt like listing a range of other action games (or not) outside of the 2D Beat Em Up genre I played this year in this separate post such as:

Sega the Ninja:

Cadash: 

Psycho Soldier: 

Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams: 

Oh and another bonus post for a few miscellaneous arcade games I searched out and played that are even more super-ultra-hyper obscure beyond obscure, behold...

Butasan: 

Pokonyan Balloon: 

J.J. Squawkers: 

Yeah these were secret gems indeed. Also Pokonyan was one of my first exposure to anime as a child (in the form of a sing-along amv tape). 

I'd like to challenge everyone by seeing how many people on this entire forum are actually able to recognize any of the games in my last post or even the one just before it lol.

Don't mean to be a jerk and bump this thread, but after posting this particular obscure arcade game that's actually based on an anime that is a brief and lowkey but still extremely integral and inseparable part of my childhood that i've been increasingly want to explore more of and wish more games or series/franchises like these were more well known in North America:

If I ever do download an SNES emulator again (one that's compatible with Mac OS X High Sierra on a 2010 model), I want to check this game out to explore more of it:

I'm surprised even JJ McCollough showed up in the comments section.