Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shibboleth

Do you like other retro games (other than DOOM)?

Also i'm curious, do pretty old redemption arcade games like these from Japan qualify as "retro games" for the purpose of this thread?

This is something I'd like to bring up as what I perceive to be the peak of happy positive nostalgic memories in an era still dominated by COVID:

You can win a pencil as a prize and in the updated version, both a pencil and a notebook. Just dig the aesthetics and designs here lol.

I haven't beaten either, but I'm a big fan of Rogue and Hack. Have a simh BSD emulator set up exclusively just for the first, but that's probably the only reason anyone runs a BSD emulator

im a rly big fan of the street fighter series the ones i play the most is Super Street fighter 2 turbo & Street fighter alpha 3 PSX version.
i sometimes play metal slug X and mario world but yuh.
i like street fighter much more compared to other fighting games is cus i started playing it like 5 years  ago and its not complicated at all besides doing the special moves which u get used to after a while.
fav console is def SNES and PSX
i use retroarch and duckstation to play these.
And i rlly like/liked the arcade game taiko no tatsujin while i was in japan & idk if that counts as a retro game it was made in like 2001 i think so 

@SealSpace Now, why would Nintendo ever feel the need to "answer" to Sonic? Even at its prime, Sonic was never quite as good as Mario.

It would have been like calling Quake Id's answer to Rise of the Triad or something... :S

37 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@SealSpace Now, why would Nintendo ever feel the need to "answer" to Sonic? Even at its prime, Sonic was never quite as good as Mario.

It would have been like calling Quake Id's answer to Rise of the Triad or something... :S

Before starting another timeless “mario vs sonic discussion”, I’d ask @SealSpace to clarify if that’s what he believes, or if it’s just a video he grabbed for a game he likes and thinks is cool as that’s the bigger point of the thread.

I’ve been gaming since back during the Commodore 64 days so yeah… I am a fan of retro games lol. I am glad that there’s so many games from the past I never played because I have found myself less and less interested in the stuff coming out currently, that having old games that are “new to me” has been a great experience. 

...e Now, why would Nintendo ever feel the need to "answer" to Sonic? Even at its prime, Sonic was never quite as good as Mario.

3 minutes ago, prfunky said:

Hah! Quake can't touch Rise of the Triad!!

55 minutes ago, FecalMystAche said:

I’ve been gaming since back during the Commodore 64 days so yeah… I am a fan of retro games lol. I am glad that there’s so many games from the past I never played because I have found myself less and less interested in the stuff coming out currently, that having old games that are “new to me” has been a great experience. 

I know what you mean. Last one to tickle me this way was running Neo Mr. Do! through emulation!

55 minutes ago, BGreener said:

Before starting another timeless “mario vs sonic discussion”

Oh no, I did not mean to. I am fine with Sonic existing, I just cannot imagine Nintendo having ever felt threatened by that franchise.

After all, the Mario series has always been factually much more successful and better received.

I agree, @Rudolph. Mario has been around longer and has more well received spin-offs than Sonic, but even then I find the two’s main-line games to be quite different from each other that there’s really no real competition there. It’s more of a Sonic vs Mario as character comparisons that I find more interesting than arguing over the games themselves. 

Plus nowadays Sonic oftentimes appears in Mario games, anyway.

I still do not get why they give him a kart in racing games, as his whole gimmick is supposed to be his speed. :P

I am quite anachronistic with technology in general. Born in the year 2000, surrounded by 10 to 30yo tech. We buy new appliances when the upgrade is really needed pretty much.

The consoles i had at home between the ages of 5 and 10 were all famiclones. Later it was a (modchipped) PS2, they gifted it to me for my 10th birthday.

I did emulate other games on my dad's PC, such as old arcade games with MAME, sega genesis/mega drive games, the newest console the PC could handle was Nintendo 64, although I never tried to emulate PS1 on it. I did play flash games a lot, Sonic games mostly.

When i was starting secondary school in 2013 the Conectar Igualdad initiative (a One-to-one computing model) really took off and everyone got their netbooks. They fucking sucked spec-wise (those ones, later models were getting better), but it was enough to run up to PS1 games, and most importantly Counter-Strike 1.6. Back then you entered your classroom and two or three games were happening at the same time.

I did survive with that netbook playing a lot of old games, but it was mostly CS and especially Half-Life deathmatch. I got a new notebook in 2018, which was a significant upgrade but since Microsoft enforced everybody to update to 1903 it's performance has been taking hits.

TL;DR this meme pretty much resumes it

Spoiler

cries-in-1050ti-v0-bjijnx2rwcv91.png?aut

I do try to play newer games if my notebook can handle it!

I'm currently revisiting the original Unreal and making my way through Burnout Dominator again via PCSX2. In fact, most gaming I do on PC these days is via emulation as there is really very little that grabs my attention these days.

I like to emulate shit all the time. And my most replayed game from my infancy is probably Age of Empires 1 & 2, I play it at least monthly to this day.

This year I played so far:

- Doom 64 (1997)

- Broken Sword (1996) *replayed for the 5th or who knows what time.

- Half-Life (1998) *replay

- Half-Life: Opposing force (1999)

- Half-Life: Blue Shift (2001)

- Dredge (2023) *The only modern game this year so far.

- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) *I played many times but never finished it until now.

- Metroid Prime (2002) *Replay with primehack (mouse and keyboard controls). I had this one on my GameCube back in the day. I can't understate how great this game is with modern controls. Masterpiece.

- Max Payne 2 (2003) *Replay

- The Ultimate Doom (1995) *Replay

On 6/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, Rudolph said:

It would have been like calling Quake Id's answer to Duke Nukem 3D/Shadow Warrior or something... :S

FTFY

Anyways to answer your question:

Well you see the thing is this video was made from the point of view of someone who's probably a Yank who knows nothing much about retro Japanese children's anime or franchises that most people stateside or people who grew up outside of Asia as children know nothing about. 

And Pokonyan's game on the Super Famicom plays similarly enough to Sonic with the whole speed-running, dashing, and jumping mechanics that it's called exactly just that. And it's only on the Super Famicom (it also has a Gameboy game too). Hence a Nintendo console's answer to "Sonic". 

Technically, this game is just an adaptation of a 90's anime based off of an even older manga from the same creator as Doraemon. Haven't played it myself, but if I ever download a SNES emulator for my Mac OS X desktop again, I will try it out someday.

Good to finally see someone on this thread or forum make a comment on my post regarding Pokonyan (one of the things I've far more nostalgic about and in love with right now than even my childhood FPS game Corridor 7 and my other most favorite boomer shooters Blake Stone and Strife)

On 6/30/2023 at 10:39 AM, BGreener said:

Before starting another timeless “mario vs sonic discussion”, I’d ask @SealSpace to clarify if that’s what he believes, or if it’s just a video he grabbed for a game he likes and thinks is cool as that’s the bigger point of the thread.

You would be more correct to assume the latter. It has absolutely fuck-all to do with "Mario vs Sonic" debates (something I'm kinda way past caring about nowadays as a Mario fan). 

It's mainly because I love classic Japanese anime that's from my childhood, especially ones that are extremely obscure to most Yanks here who never had much exposure to segments of Japanese media outside of the iconic stuff they got in the US that they're already grew up with and are familiar with like Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Pokemon, DBZ, or Sailor Moon. And the particular series this game is based on is the one that's on my mind the most right now. 

Hence why I also posted the video of the Capcom-developed kiddy ride and the slot machines that are only available in parts of Japan or Asian countries that have dedicated arcade zones with obscure shit like these. 

Edited by SealSpace

*is still mildly sad and disappointed that the same poster who has reacted to his post with other Japanese arcade games for kids somehow didn't do the same for the Pokonyan slot machines let alone the Pokonyan Balloon arcade game* 

1 hour ago, SealSpace said:

FTFY

I do not think so. I picked Rise of the Triad specifically because it is an example of a game that Id never had to worry about (even though that did not stop John Carmack from being a dick by reportedly rescinding Apogee's Wolfenstein license); the same cannot be said about Duke Nukem 3D, which was a bona fide hit that legitimately rivalled with Quake in terms of success.

My point is that Sonic games were generally made in reaction to Mario's successes, not the other way around. As such, I do not think Nintendo ever found itself in a position where they had to make an answer to Sonic.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I do not think so. I picked Rise of the Triad specifically because it is an example of a game that Id never had to worry about (even though that did not stop John Carmack from being a dick by reportedly rescinding Apogee's Wolfenstein license); the same cannot be said about Duke Nukem 3D, which was a bona fide hit that legitimately rivalled with Quake in terms of success.

My point is that Sonic games were generally made in reaction to Mario's successes, not the other way around. As such, I do not think Nintendo ever found itself in a position where they had to make an answer to Sonic.

I already agree with you. 

It's just that Pokonyan game is the closest thing the Super Famicom has to game that's similar to Sonic in gameplay mechanics.