Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zero Master's Clone

need tips for killing archviles

okay so i am very at DOOM 2 but there is one thing i could never get good at doing and that is dodging attacks form archviles

so i am requesting tips from the master archvile killers

i am usually very busy programming so i will just say thank you in advance

Edited by Zero Master's Clone

Archvile attack consists of 2 parts: an on hit attack and an explosion. 

You want to either hurt him or dodge the attack when she is about to finish it. Best option: duck behind cover. Anything tall enough to block the line of sight will also block the attack.Also, here is Decinos video about arch vile.

Spoiler

Best tactic I know to deal with archviles is hit-and-run, shoot them and hide when they start doing the flame attack. Sometimes it's important to take them out as quickly as possible too.

1 hour ago, Zero Master's Clone said:

okay so i am very at DOOM 2 but there is one thing i could never get good at doing and that is dodging attacks form archviles

If you see a wall HIDE BEHIND IT WHILE HE IS LIGHTING YOU ON FIRE. Also I usually use an ssg against archviles but for long range rockets are also really good

Another tactic that is useful is bumping into the 'vile between SSG shots, (if in a close-combat situation) this can stop the arch-vile from exiting a smaller room / nook, and going into a bigger open area w/ less cover where you'll more likely be bested...

Remember, the arch-vile has no melee attack!

Edited by Arrowhead

Then he is about to attack you, be fast and hide behind a wall. After he stops attacking, get out and shoot at him with whatever you've got

Oh and yeah, do a loop of that if it needs

If you're using a ZDooM engine, do the following:

Step 1 - Face the archvile

Step 2 - open the console

Step 3 - Type MDK

Step 4 - Watch the vile die

Step 5 - Celebrate

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

ZeroMaster's Clone doesn't know how to kill AVs, so does that actually a clone? :thinking:

Some flaws are to be expected in the early models

ZDoom-based source ports:

1. Open console (\ key).
  2. Type "KILL ARCHVILE".
  3. Press Enter.
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Boom-based source ports:

Type "TNTEM" while playing.

Vanilla/vanilla-based source ports:

1. Type IDDQD, followed by IDFA while playing.
  2. Press 7.
  3. Hold the fire button (Ctrl, MOUSE1).
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

I always thought that Bloodite Krypto was the OG Zero Master clone?

Anyway, besides taking cover, there isn't really too much to add. The SSG has a good chance of causing pain, or you could always shove a rocket up his yellow hiney when it's appropriate.

4 hours ago, Zero Master's Clone said:

His attack lands when his hands clasp together. He has a very low pain chance, but each SSG shot has a chance of ~47% to trigger his pain state and interrupt his animations (if all pellets hit). Goes down in... 2-3 rockets, I think? Instantly begins hunting down whatever hits him, even while he's in his attack animation, so if he's infighting with some demons, wait until you see a demon jump (his attack launches targets) and then start firing rockets while he's locked in place.

I never feel bad using the BFG against Arch-viles. On close range, this is an assured insta-kill on them. Otherwise, they go down with 4 rockets or 4 point-blank SSG shots.

If you don't have any cover handy to dodge its attack, use the BFG to kill it as soon as possible. If this isn't an option, the Super Shotgun is good for triggering their pain chance, Plasma Rifle is also quite decent at this (although a little less reliable).

Unlike any other enemy in the game, Arch-Viles will prioritize attacking the very last target that attacked it, no matter how much damage was dealt... so you may want to get monsters to infight with it. The moment it starts attacking other monsters, DON'T ATTACK IT AGAIN. There's nothing like watching an Arch-vile getting ready to zap another enemy, then accidently hurting it and watching the Arch-vile suddenly zap you with no warning or time to react.

18 hours ago, Andromeda said:

ZDoom-based source ports:

1. Open console (\ key).
  2. Type "KILL ARCHVILE".
  3. Press Enter.
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

Boom-based source ports:

Type "TNTEM" while playing.

Vanilla/vanilla-based source ports:

1. Type IDDQD, followed by IDFA while playing.
  2. Press 7.
  3. Hold the fire button (Ctrl, MOUSE1).
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

I was just gonna say "with guns" But I like that you have gone to way more trouble to mildly troll. :)

On a slightly serious note, you can actually see the archvile-hurling-fire-at-you frame for a split second, and you can quickly duck behind cover. You don't have to be in cover at the very moment that the arch fires at you, but a moment after.

The AV zips around really quickly, so he can be very tricky to hit with rockets. However, just when he goes into his crouching position prior to launching his spell, he's immobile, and a rocket fired at him just then is pretty much guaranteed to hit, provided your aiming is on target. You need then to get out of his line of sight very quickly, as you only have a second or so.

It's surprising also how frequently the AV doesn't bother to close in on you when fighting at fairly close quarters - in such situations you can often down him with four SSG shots, provided you take cover after each one of course.

When you've played a section before, and know where and when the AV will appear, it's usually very straightforward to take him out with a single BFG blast, provided you're reasonably close to him and react quickly.

You can occasionally just dispose of him when you're straight in front of him with no cover, by stunning him with your SSG blasts just before he launches his attack, causing him to delay it and let you follow up with further blasts. Your timing needs to be spot on with this though, it usually doesn't work (for me at least), and when it does, it's largely a matter of luck.

Edited by Summer Deep

If you have no way to avoid the arch-vile's attack, see if you can get up in its face so it hurts itself with the blast damage portion of its attack. If you're going to get hurt, you may as well get something out of it, and it's always funny to see an arch-vile kill itself.

To add to rd's essay, specifically the "deprioritize" bit mixed with other points... one minimalist, non-slaughter example that first came to mind is in "Oops All Techbase" map 08 at the southern storage area - it's a good place to put this plan in practice and start getting familiar with it in case you aren't already, so lemme describe it:

The room is stuffed with crates on both sides plus a couple in the middle, a lot of substantial cover, you have the SSG and the setup features an archvile among other different lurkers, which try their best to corner you between the crates or push you into the archvile's line-of-sight, or other dangers. This way of complementing each other, in a well designed fight, is what gets you into reevaluating priorities (or what's a primary target), so the "player will take more damage from other monsters, or panic and get themselves into a crappy spot" part comes in. You could try to kill the archvile first, because the strategy is accessible, but it also lets everything else bunch up on your face more easily. Or, you may get rid of the other lurkers before, and that's the interesting part because you need to take into consideration where they should be dying -- the archvile tends to stay in the middle as long as you keep alternating cover, so killing the revenants and gunners around the lateral crates decreases the chance of resurrections, so the vile is gonna be all for yourself later.

:)

My usual strategy is to shoot at them until they die. But I'm no doomgod, ymmw

edit: jokes aside, they're pretty straightforward. You see flames, hide behind something so they can't see you. Wait a bit for them to finish the animation, poke your head out to shoot again. If you pop out too soon, they'll hit you, if you wait too long, they'll come for you, and you may need to find another hiding spot. SSG is your friend - best chance for stun-lock. If they stun-lock, you can get another SSG blast safely.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:23 PM, Captain POLAND said:

Hide behind stuff whenever you see the flame.

This, and what @HrnekBezucha says above.

You will learn the sequence of the flame powerup and release, so you can hide for as short a time as possible, and loose off shots as often as possible...