Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJVCardMaster

rats learning how to play doom

Before we had DOOM running on every device, now we have animals playing DOOM

Can we get a hippopotamus or an elephant to play DOOM now?

I'd like to know how he came up with the idea.

Imagine this:

You wake up on a sunny sunday morning, you get up, make yourself ready and grab some breakfast. Then the idea hits you, you want rats to learn how to play Doom. And after that thought you get on going. Your goal is to make a rat beat Go 2 It on UV keyboard only.

Impressive on a technical level, but also why? I reckon that would a great icebreaker during a job interview however if you were to write that on you CV, but that's really it.

Recreate the device for 7 other mice and hook them up in lan

Change the reward system to trigger with frags

Let them fight for days on end

After that just let selective evolution do it's thing and boom, you have a breed of doom playing mouses

A monkey or cat playing Doom would be even more interesting. 

But then again, a bear, an elephant, a tiger, a dolphin, snake or a penguin even more so. 

28 minutes ago, Savarin said:

Recreate the device for 7 other mice and hook them up in lan

Change the reward system to trigger with frags

Let them fight for days on end

After that just let selective evolution do it's thing and boom, you have a breed of doom playing mouses

What if this is the experiment the aliens are running on us.

19 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Does the rat blow up when it gets gibbed?

"and for extra realism. we have attached bombs to the mice so that whenever they get gibbed. they will explode into tiny rat pieces. don't worry. there's an janitor on set just for the occasion"

I just watched Willard, the 1971 version, for the first time two days ago. So this is really funny. I had seen the 2003 version (which I prefer, because you know, R. Lee Ermey and Crispin Glover) a few times before, but it just seems really odd that this cropped up just now.

I mean, it's interesting. Rats like running, and they like treats. So getting a treat for the correct behaviour, and continuing that behaviour just makes sense. But it is neat, and creepy in the same vein. I wonder if they really think they're running through that hallway, or they're just rolling on a ball and getting treats for doing it. Or if they think that imp is an actual threat, or they just realize if they see this specific set of light in their path, and they press a button to shoot it, they get a treat.

Again, kind of neat, kind of creepy. Rats are a very successful species, so I don't think they're exactly dumb. I'm just wondering how much of a videogame they think is reality, or if they realize they're just on a ball with successive images being presented and if they do the right thing they get a treat.

And yeah, having just watched the original Willard a few days ago, I thought it was funny, and thus had to comment.

At first i thought the mice would be actually reacting to stuff happening in game, like those experiments with pidgeons pecking screens etc. Kinda disappointing but the step up is cool i guess. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, I guess strapping any sort of animal to a object linked to controlling a character on screen would result

it in "playing" the game even if it's just randomly walking in a straight hallway, right?

Some animals like cats are sentient and aware and out of curiosity would press a button or do something unusual, that's where I find it entertaining.

An animal doing something from its own will and curiosity instead of it being forced to do so by tying it with ropes by degenerates like these, who

do it for their own amusement, entertainment and likes.

Call me sensitive but I don't find this sort of thing amusing to watch at all, sorry.

I wanna see an octopus play doom... I reckon those have a higher chance of actually learning something about the game, rather than whatever it is these rats do... Not that I have high hopes for rats or octopuses - it's just that I think the latter has more potential...

8 hours ago, bigsmoke1919 said:

this just takes "playing doom with a mouse" to a whole new level  

IMHO, this just takes "playing doom with a mouse" to an unhealthy level :-)

On 11/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, NoWits said:

That animal is probably thinking "What the fuck is going on? Is this food?"

Nah, it's thinking "Man, fuck D_RUNNIN"