Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a mod i am working on it currently only has the demo which has 10 levels it is planned to have 200-220 levels or even more it adds new weapons,enemies,music,textures and powerups it is estimated to release on september 2022 but the estimation might not be correct

220+ maps in less than a year? The overall quality must be incredible.

I'll play your demo and tell you why you might want to rethink your goals if you intend on making maps that are even remotely serviceable. If you're going for quantity over quality, Doomguy 2000 already has you beat by about 29,800 maps.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I'll be the first to ask.

What's up with the file size on this one?

image.png.b43b5610ab1ca48451917aa35dfa458e.png

This is a bit ridiculous for something that's only a tiny demo containing 4.5% of the total levels.

Why do you need 200-220 levels, for anything at all. No one is going to bother playing that many levels from something, and even if they did I highly doubt there'd be a consistent level of quality throughout them all.

19 hours ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

This is a bit ridiculous for something that's only a tiny demo containing 4.5% of the total levels.

The reason it is so large is because of the music that i used in the mod there is a lot of music in the mod that has not been used yet some of the music files are above 1 mb

Are any of the music tracks copyrighted MP3s? You might run into trouble at ModDB for sharing copyrighted songs in your wad (just a little warning).

27 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Are any of the music tracks copyrighted MP3s? You might run into trouble at ModDB for sharing copyrighted songs in your wad (just a little warning).

I am not sure some i will make sure none of them are copywrighted

23 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

220+ maps in less than a year? The overall quality must be incredible.

I'll play your demo and tell you why you might want to rethink your goals if you intend on making maps that are even remotely serviceable. If you're going for quantity over quality, Doomguy 2000 already has you beat by about 29,800 maps.

I am actually not very good at making doom mods this is the first actual doom mod that i am making i wanted to make a large mod that had a lot of levels that would be fun to play some levels in the demo version are kinda low quality and i will remake them 

On 11/25/2021 at 9:27 PM, JustCallMeKaito said:

It's actually "only" 300mb, but there's a second, one-day-older copy of the mod (modutilities/mod1copy.wad) packed into the RAR for some reason.

1 hour ago, Hillerbob said:

I am actually not very good at making doom mods this is the first actual doom mod that i am making i wanted to make a large mod that had a lot of levels that would be fun to play some levels in the demo version are kinda low quality and i will remake them 

I'll be straight with you - you should focus on something smaller and more focused, so you can build up your skills. You're not going to get better by trying to stretch ten levels into 200+ - that's just gonna result in you burning out and not having any fun and casting the whole thing aside.

A WAD file packed with custom textures, monsters, music, every custom weapon in existence.  I don't think most of these resources need to be in the demo.

It's unclear where I'm even supposed to go to test the new maps, as you've divided the WAD up into 18(!) episodes without explaining which maps we should play.  So I started in at ep. 1.  The first map is okay, I like some of the details like the reception desk, but the maps after mostly consist of winding through linear corridors shooting monsters, some of which I don't have enough ammo to kill all of, or entering a room to open a trap wall on each side.  The maps are largely flat, save a couple lifts or staircases, and pretty linear, and quite short.  Some of the fights end up way too cramped because of this, but there's a couple others where I have tons of space and can easily just bypass the monsters if I want to.  The custom weapons--and there really are a lot of them--feel gratuitous, there's no way this mod needs seven shotgun variants.  Enormous arsenals like these can get overwhelming to a player fast, and there's a lot of redundancy when one machine gun is basically the same as another but 0.001% faster.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but, to echo everyone else here, you'd do yourself a favor to start a lot smaller than this.  200 maps is a lot, and if they're 200 maps like these then they will get old very quickly.  On the other hand, if you start with a much smaller project, you can put a lot more time and thought into each map, and you'll get a lot better at mapping as a result.  You can put this project on the backburner and revisit it when you have a better sense of map layout, monster/weapon balancing, smart use of custom resources, and so forth.  Although I'd still advise against doing so many maps in the final product heh

5 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

A WAD file packed with custom textures, monsters, music, every custom weapon in existence.  I don't think most of these resources need to be in the demo.

It's unclear where I'm even supposed to go to test the new maps, as you've divided the WAD up into 18(!) episodes without explaining which maps we should play.  So I started in at ep. 1.  The first map is okay, I like some of the details like the reception desk, but the maps after mostly consist of winding through linear corridors shooting monsters, some of which I don't have enough ammo to kill all of, or entering a room to open a trap wall on each side.  The maps are largely flat, save a couple lifts or staircases, and pretty linear, and quite short.  Some of the fights end up way too cramped because of this, but there's a couple others where I have tons of space and can easily just bypass the monsters if I want to.  The custom weapons--and there really are a lot of them--feel gratuitous, there's no way this mod needs seven shotgun variants.  Enormous arsenals like these can get overwhelming to a player fast, and there's a lot of redundancy when one machine gun is basically the same as another but 0.001% faster.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but, to echo everyone else here, you'd do yourself a favor to start a lot smaller than this.  200 maps is a lot, and if they're 200 maps like these then they will get old very quickly.  On the other hand, if you start with a much smaller project, you can put a lot more time and thought into each map, and you'll get a lot better at mapping as a result.  You can put this project on the backburner and revisit it when you have a better sense of map layout, monster/weapon balancing, smart use of custom resources, and so forth.  Although I'd still advise against doing so many maps in the final product heh

I may have added in a bit to many new weapons into this mod there are about 40 new weapons i will try to make a better mod sometime in the future so i am going to set the release date to tbd for now

6 hours ago, Kinsie said:

It's actually "only" 300mb, but there's a second, one-day-older copy of the mod (modutilities/mod1copy.wad) packed into the RAR for some reason.

I'll be straight with you - you should focus on something smaller and more focused, so you can build up your skills. You're not going to get better by trying to stretch ten levels into 200+ - that's just gonna result in you burning out and not having any fun and casting the whole thing aside.

I am going to set the release date of the mod to tbd for now and work on a smaller project currently

I did make a copy of all the files i used for the mod so you can open them in ultimate doom builder or gzdoom builder so people could make maps with the stuff in this mod

Edited by Hillerbob

I think it would have been better to start off small and release one map and put that up here for feedback, making your way up instead of releasing a giant mod that seems compromised of random. By doing so you are going to walk a road many aspiring modders have walked upon and they have never returned.

In my eyes you have two kinds of modders:

• Authors who start small and learn through experience
  • Authors who start big and end up quitting Doom modding

I am not sure what you want to be. I am just saying that by option 2, Doom modding will be seen as a doodle one tried out, instead of an experience that would last.

Also judging from your moddb page:

There are other things that i used in this mod that the source of them is unknown

The common courtesy is to name which things those are, and credit those in a separate file.

49 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I think it would have been better to start off small and release one map and put that up here for feedback, making your way up instead of releasing a giant mod that seems compromised of random. By doing so you are going to walk a road many aspiring modders have walked upon and they have never returned.

In my eyes you have two kinds of modders:

• Authors who start small and learn through experience
  • Authors who start big and end up quitting Doom modding

I am not sure what you want to be. I am just saying that by option 2, Doom modding will be seen as a doodle one tried out, instead of an experience that would last.

Also judging from your moddb page:

The common courtesy is to name which things those are, and credit those in a separate file.

I was not planning on quitting doom modding i am going to continue making mods for doom and i will try to identify the source of the things i used in this mod that are unknown where the source came from

Played through the first episode on Noob. Some fun bits here, definitely has a somewhat 90s-like amateur-ish charm. I ended up going god-mode at the end when I got frustrated lol.

Some of the new weapons, like the burst-fire shotgun and the absurd nuke launcher are quite fun. I like the parts where you press a switch and the environment behind you changes.

Just under almost no circumstances do people want to download multiple megabytes to play a WAD. I doubt any custom music is worth that, or could be put in as a smaller format. In episode 1 at least most of what I heard were MIDIs i think.

I agree with others maybe try something much smaller in scope. If you must use custom weapons/monsters maybe just a few would do.

44 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Played through the first episode on Noob. Some fun bits here, definitely has a somewhat 90s-like amateur-ish charm. I ended up going god-mode at the end when I got frustrated lol.

Some of the new weapons, like the burst-fire shotgun and the absurd nuke launcher are quite fun. I like the parts where you press a switch and the environment behind you changes.

Just under almost no circumstances do people want to download multiple megabytes to play a WAD. I doubt any custom music is worth that, or could be put in as a smaller format. In episode 1 at least most of what I heard were MIDIs i think.

I agree with others maybe try something much smaller in scope. If you must use custom weapons/monsters maybe just a few would do.

I was planning on finishing episode 2 and then stop working on this mod for a bit and work on smaller projects

Something important to know

Is that you need to disable auto restarting levels because at the end of each level it teleports you in a room with explosive barrels and the icon of sin so it will kill the player and the icon of sin so you pistol start the next level

also i have been able to beat all levels on very hard difficulty the last two levels are quite difficult

and on the level nuclear plans i built that level in the slade map builder and it bugs out sometimes where you have to press a switch from the back side

Edited by Hillerbob

1 hour ago, Hillerbob said:

Something important to know

Is that you need to disable auto restarting levels because at the end of each level it teleports you in a room with explosive barrels and the icon of sin so it will kill the player and the icon of sin so you pistol start the next level

I think this is something common with some old maps that thankfully seems to have died out. I always hated when that happened after I wiped out all the opposition and spend a great deal of time looking for secrets. I try to go for a 100% completion on secrets if I can, but it's just not cool when you enter an exit portal and suddenly you get blasted to bits and lose every single thing you gathered and start the next map butt naked. 

1 hour ago, NaliSeed said:

I think this is something common with some old maps that thankfully seems to have died out. I always hated when that happened after I wiped out all the opposition and spend a great deal of time looking for secrets. I try to go for a 100% completion on secrets if I can, but it's just not cool when you enter an exit portal and suddenly you get blasted to bits and lose every single thing you gathered and start the next map butt naked. 

ok i will not do that anymore

also the later levels in this mod do not have secrets in them 

Edited by Hillerbob

Mod idea make a doom mod but instead of having the current amount of custom weapons in ths mod which is about 40 have 250 custom weapons this would be extremely overwhelmingly massive and just be too many weapons probably

13 minutes ago, Hillerbob said:

Mod idea make a doom mod but instead of having the current amount of custom weapons in ths mod which is about 40 have 250 custom weapons this would be extremely overwhelmingly massive and just be too many weapons probably

Why would you need 250 weapons? Doom aint Borderlands and this honestly sounds like a balancing nightmare.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Why would you need 250 weapons? Doom aint Borderlands and this honestly sounds like a balancing nightmare.

Its an idea for a jokewad

Edit:how did this 2 minutes after i posted it someone already reacted to it

Edited by Hillerbob

18 minutes ago, Hillerbob said:

Its an idea for a jokewad

Please do not make a jokewad. I obviously cant stop you but in general many jokewads of today rely on old haha's or just aren't funny. Prove your worth with a serious map!

18 minutes ago, Hillerbob said:

Edit:how did this 2 minutes after i posted it someone already reacted to it

Are you using a translator, by any means? Because i didn't write Why does need 25000 gun? Doom is no Bochelands and this is actually sounds like a nuclear explode.

14 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Please do not make a jokewad. I obviously cant stop you but in general many jokewads of today rely on old haha's or just aren't funny. Prove your worth with a serious map!

Are you using a translator, by any means? Because i didn't write Why does need 25000 gun? Doom is no Bochelands and this is actually sounds like a nuclear explode.

I was not going to make a jokewad and also i may have slightly altered the text you typed

27 minutes ago, Hillerbob said:

I was not going to make a jokewad and also i may have slightly altered the text you typed

I fail to see why.

4 hours ago, Liberation said:

@HillerbobDon't be altering people's text when you quote them, that's out of order. Especially when people are taking the time to pass on some advice.

Agreed, some people are trying to help you here but I can't seem to make sense of most of this thread. Like is this actually a serious project?

8 hours ago, Hillerbob said:

how did this 2 minutes after i posted it someone already reacted to it

Because they clicked the react button. Who cares?

You seem to be focused on quantity over quality and custom weapons, this is a common newbie mistake. Nobody cares how many weapons or maps are in a wad if the maps and gameplay aren't any good.

Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite wads? You don't seems to be taking this too seriously. Between the edited quotes, pointing out reactions, talking about 250 weapons, 220+ maps, jokewads talk, this is getting a bit childish.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

4 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Because they clicked the react button. Who cares?

You seem to be focused on quantity over quality and custom weapons, this is a common newbie mistake. Nobody cares how many weapons or maps are in a wad if the maps and gameplay aren't any good.

Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite wads? You don't seems to be taking this too seriously. Between the edited quotes, pointing out reactions, talking about 250 weapons, 220+ maps, jokewads talk, this is getting a bit childish.

Ok i will stop with that stuff and my 3 favourite doom mods are valiant,netherworld and plutonia 2

10 hours ago, Liberation said:

@HillerbobDon't be altering people's text when you quote them, that's out of order. Especially when people are taking the time to pass on some advice.

I changed the text back and i will stop changing the text