Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Malevolent Murder Machine [limit removing] -- NOW ON ID GAMES!!

I tried and failed on HMP. Managed to finish it on HNTR in about 30 minutes. I think now I know whats actually going on. Maybe. Might retry on HMP later.

This is a signature Clippy map! Also it's full of Clippy signatures in the first fight, but anyway... It's full of crazy barrel stuff, lava and traps. It feels like most of the map is burning you. EVERYTHING around you is trying to kill you constantly while you're trying to figure out where to move. No place safe in sight. It keeps you moving as previously cleared areas repopulate - without overusing enemy teleportation. It's hard. It's hell. And if you don't believe it's a Clippy, wait till you finally reach the exit. Lovely!

// Will edit this in case I manage to record a HMP run.

Edited by sectrslayr

I finished in 18:05 with 105/76/30. I didn't have too much time, so I didn't go secret hunting at the end at all. 

• There's a ledge with a bunch of medikits right after a super shotgun secret that is damaging and seems it shouldn't be. Very unfortunate to have to die there. In general, I thought the -20 everywhere was a little rough, especially when it was mandatory to cross, but maybe there are suits on medium and easy. 
  • It's a clever map. The layout has some Against Thee Wickedly Vibes where you feel like you simultaneously know and don't know where you're going. In the end I wasn't sure which keys I actually needed, but I never found myself puzzled as to what to do next. I think the pretty easy computer map is helpful in that regard, but I still barely used it.
  • I got the rocket launcher pretty late, but I assume this can be played a lot of ways. If I recall, I just got scared off by viles, so I came back for the blue key much later.
  • There's an H shape toward the west side of the map. There's a megasphere in the middle of it. Chainsaw is in this room. There's a missing texture in the southeast corner of it, perhaps only after something lowers.
  • It seems like there was a lot of focus on somewhat choreographed fights, and I mostly enjoyed them. I thought the opening cyber was fun. There was a lava run just to find yourself staring at mancubi in a narrow hall. The arch-situation was interesting.
  • Visually, this map is a great example of not underestimating lighting. Texturally, there's not much going on, and if you play this map with a light visor, it really doesn't look great, but the lighting makes a huge difference.

Hey Clippy! I played your map and its really good.

I enjoyed these traps and original ideas like infinite respawning enemies to get ammo!

I played this map on easiest difficulty because iam super bad haha.

Also i did tons of saves just to be safe you know how its going,

When i entered the last room with exit walls i didnt though its exit so yeah but how i said nice map.

Anyways theres my video

PS: I posted this early so expect lower quality.

@sectrslayr Thank you for playing and the feedback my friend - yes I def made this map too hard - if anything HMP is more like UV and UV is like a more pissed off UV - I am glad you could manage the earlier setting. UV is always my focus and I have a hard time making lower settings appropriate sometimes but I still give er a try. Glad you like my little paperclips haha - was trying to insert my insignia in a less huge annoying way. Glad I succeeded in my goal - to make a frantic action packed map where you get no relief - I was so mean in this one - I think my next adventure will be nicer - or at least not half lava

@Pezl thanks for the download!!

@HAK3180 - thank you so much for taking the time to look at my map. You finished it quicker than expected but you are good. 105/76/30? Meaning you killed 105 monsters, found 76 items and 30 secrets? Maybe you meant 3? Maybe I don't understand these number code haha. My secrets require massive hunting I think.

That damn ledge. I try so hard to release a perfect product but missed this one. Feel bad you died there dammit - fixed the ledge and noted in OP. I was mean with the lava wasn't I - I tried to compensate with hefty health pickups. But there is only one rad suit in a rather hidden secret. As I suck at making lower settings I didn't ponder adding rad suits to HMP and below - I did now. Not sure how many or where to put em so added 2 to the blue key room

I am glad you found my map clever, I think I had my smart pants on when I made it -- I worked hard to connect things together and try to keep things interesting. Those fabled stairs. I hate Against Thee Wickedly. This map sort of took on a mind of it's own as I made it and decided how to keep constructing - funny how it turned out into this style.

Getting the rocket launcher late means you must have skipped blue key and managed to dispatch that triple mancubus block? Amazing stuff. The archviles are meant to be an oh shit moment before they zap away - I didn't consider ppl would leave the area completely because of this haha

Glad you liked the fights. I have a lot of fun with that opening Cyber and like to leave him alive - most times he gets done in after existing in this chaos for so long. Glad you liked the archvile situation. See the thing is I envisioned the 12 archies being there and teleporting away ... I had to figure out to where later. 2 make it to the chaingunner and shotgunner for the ammo farm (and get crushed later) and you meet the other 10 in the plasma gun and red key fight. I tried my best to make it an interesting invuln fight - beat the ticking clock and get em all - don't think it's possible without invuln

- lastly I am glad you liked the lighting - I seem to have a better grasp on that stuff. But as for texturing ... this may always be my weakness

@Dusty_Rhodes & @gurtb8tin thank you for your interest

@Pezl I will watch your vid and come back

@Pezl

I am honoured you made a video of this buddy. Glad you found it good - I did focus very hard on this one as I finally had the time to construct carefully.

I should mention who I got this idea from - @Stupid Bunny and Angry Chair - re the shotgunner and chaingunner that archies bring back for more ammo

The easy setting in this map is still tough - don't call yourself bad

Exit room is me not knowing how to properly end a map. I thought I would see if the player would jump off at the end

Re video:

Glad to see you in the Youtube dooming game. Also glad to see you play on the ITYTD/HNTR setting - videos of all settings are essential so I can see if it works right haha.

Without a cyberdemon, pressing the eye to lower the wall makes for an unfortunate break in the action as you killed all the demons :P other settings you would be dancing away from rockets the whole time

Glad to see you make use of the early shotgun not in UV

Killing the spider behind the red key bars & mancubus behind the blue - knew someone would do this :D

Can't tell you how thrilled I am to see you use that ammo farm with the chainsaw as intended

Also glad to see you venture in the lava and find some goodies / secrets

You shot the gray poison sign - I wanted to put a shootable secret there too but I never did!

Invlun fight def doesn't work so good in this setting - may remove invuln ...not sure

at 13 min or so when you pressed the red key button and let all the monsters out if was fun seeing you let lose with rockets and bfgs and going to town - I am happy with the way this fight turned out

good times

53 minutes ago, Clippy said:

105/76/30? Meaning you killed 105 monsters, found 76 items and 30 secrets? Maybe you meant 3?

Those are my intermission percentages. I don't think I killed every monster, but obviously got over 100% with the arch-vileage. 30% was 4.

Spoiler

Super shotgun

goody closet in H room

one of the keys was secret, right?

don't remember the fourth

4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Those are my intermission percentages. I don't think I killed every monster, but obviously got over 100% with the arch-vileage. 30% was 4.

Hide contents

Super shotgun

goody closet in H room

one of the keys was secret, right?

don't remember the fourth

I'm so dumb lol. And you are right about the key

Good one Clippy, quite chaotic start (as usual). The cyberdemon scheme plays well with damaging floors,

and having him around always makes you wonder if you want him dead or alive.

I killed him too soon, so I had to rely on the ammo I could find.

My secret hunting was really bad, just 5 out of 13. Cool hellish entry buddy.

@Soulless thanks for having a go at it. I like the cyber too - I often keep him alive because he never survives til the end on his own anyway in this warzone - as for secrets I went extra over the top with them this time - will do reveal vid some day

@Biodegradable thanks again for testing as always - it was especially fun to be there live when you tested to interact - unique experience you're the best

I'm seems I'm a bit late to the party, but I do have some thoughts to share. Played on UV, tested with GZDoom 4.7.1.

Gameplay

There's a nice sense of "get moving or die" in the initial start, and this carries on throughout the map. This "scramble to get to place of safety or find a weapon better suited to x situation" is an often used trope but can sometimes feel overwhelming, at least to me that is. Your map doesn't feel that way, because the first few encounters where the player has more access to the arsenal feel more controlled. You beckon the player to one area, the player sees a way to progress and a possible route to a better weapon( In this case the red platforms that lower and raise) and goes that way. I really like this since it doesn't feel like there are different directions that the player can take, one of which is the optimal route that the mapper intends for the player to take, if that makes any sense. Overall  the way the trope is used here is fun and demands the player think quickly and move carefully, which I'm really fond of.

I also like the minor use of platforming in the map. Platforming, if not used to an excess (*cough the chasm *cough) can be a nice way to break up the combat in a map, and it is implemented well here.

My biggest gripe would be the optional yellow skull door area. The SSG trap with the revenants feels clunky mainly because the pain sectors damage the player so much, as well as having to strafe to avoid projectiles which are already very RNG-based.

Layout

I like the twisting nature of the layout, and it never feels too flat or uninteresting. There's more than enough space to strafe, which is really important,  considering the relatively high number of number of enemies the player will be facing at a time.

Texturing and detailing

I really like how you use REDROCK here. I never felt the texturing was repetitive or bland. A lot of wads overuse the hellish textures like REDROCK and it makes some environments feel bland and uninteresting. The hellish swirls in the ground are also a nice touch.

Bugs

I think it is possible to softlock yourself in the small area with the yellow skull door after you raise the stairs:https://imgur.com/a/2Qk4Zxa I hope this screenshot gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed this map. The "warzone"-type map and feel to the gameplay you were going for is captured quite well here. I hope this feedback helps, though. I really enjoyed playing through this map. Really good stuff.  

@Silent Wolf thank you so much for taking the time to write this review!

Glad to hear you liked the gameplay - I feel like this is where I have the best chance to succeed in mapping since I'm not good at visuals. I don't like platforming but the pepperoni platform as I call it isn't too hard to navigate - just gotta avoid monsters. I hate platforming that requires ridiculously hard movements even without monsters. Chasm sux. SSG trap may be mean - I don't usually hide monsters in secrets but I didn't want to give the SSG outright either. It's best to run in after getting megasphere and run right out

I'm happy with the layout too - reusing that main area for the final encounter etc - it's really just a bunch of circles stuck together but it works haha

texturing has always been my weakness - I thought I went way too far with redrock cause I wasn't sure what else to do but glad you didn't find it too much - and I have been trying harder with lighting too - I like the look of bright lava around dark areas

I consider a softlock a place you get stuck in but can't die - so you live forever in the stuck zone. I would think of this as more of an inescapable pit of death, the only one in the map if you don't have the yellow key. It's mean and inescapable pits are probably frowned on but it's the way I had to make it for those raising steps to work. So yeah you fall down there and die- might try to see if I can come up with something better

Again glad for feedback and glad you enjoyed the map - happy to hear I pulled off what I wanted to - frantic hell warzone good times

Well guys I never release a map unless I can beat it without secrets. But to be fair, I never beat this without a few saves secretless until now

About half an hour ago - my first successful run after a bunch of botched attempts - so much can go wrong!

This was actually very stressful and kept getting more stressful the closer I got to the finish line

I will be back down the road with a full on reveal of everything including all 13 secrets with commentary eventually

Hi, recorded a hmp fda with prboom+um.

Fun little blast of action here. I died twice, both times in the starting room because I have terminal stupidity, other than that a few close calls from sloppy play. I managed to get the cyberdemon stuck on the raising stairs and punched him out though heh.

mmmfda.rar

Really good design and challenging. I liked the yellow key secret very helpful.

Edited by Dubbag

Malevolent Murder Machine

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom

Deaths → 1

Saves → a lot...

Because there is not a good quality of audio in a certain part of the video, I better put this in a private record list...

This map has been really impressive in several aspects, from the intense beginning where one had to quickly access another area with the help of the Chaingun, to witnessing areas full and full of only lava, with the concern raised not to die. hands of the intense fire that was everywhere... this without a doubt was an intense map, from beginning to end, and each area has been very interesting to me, quite varied although without removing the element of lava and volcanic essence With technology that this Wad had at all times, which made this map more interesting for me, heh, but hey, now leaving aside the setting, it's time to talk about the fighting. In the combat area, the truth is that the various battle encounters that the map provided were very interesting, from the initial encounter with those Imps and the Cyberdemon, until finding enough Archviles to kill with the BFG 9000, and to tell the truth, others Combats like the meeting of the Revenants in the lava area did turn out to be something truly annoying and torturous... even more so for not being able to jump or be crouched... but well, the final boss, the SpiderMaster Mind, has not presented A big problem for me, nor were the enemies placed at the end of the map, although the way to finish the level was already waiting for me, it is something typical of Clippy to make the maps end like this, as complicated as finding secrets in their maps, huh. Anyway, I really enjoyed the Wad and I'm glad I didn't die so many times beyond that one time I was defeated by the lava, but otherwise, the map was more than amazing, buddy, very well done here, hehe.

@TeK (⌐■_■) : Thank you so much for making a demo for me. I usually can't figure out how to get lmp's to run but I got er going and am proud of myself. That opening is designed to be tough - I don't think anyone survived it the first time yet. You really like punching air. Cyberdemon infighting is cool. Was the cybder mad at the rev at the top of the pepperoni platforming? He seemed to cheer when you killed the rev haha

My worst fears came true when cyber friend got stuck on the stairway to hell... not sure how to fix ... don't want to add monster block lines to restrict flow of enemies ... hopefully it's a rare occurrence. Punched him to death right in the groin, OUCH!

Badass moment when you ran into the lava steps with the rocket launcher equipped - bold move! That part where you blasted a bunch of zombiemen with BFG was awesome! Also at one point you killed a rev and it's missile was still circling you and hit an imp and the imp appeared to throw a fireball at nothing in anger.

altogether fun watch - thanks for playing!

@Snaxalotl : Your videos are always pretty with cool lighting - always makes my maps look awesome! Fun run, no deaths! Kudos! Rocketing an Imp at point blank range next to a megasphere was fun. Nice to see you make constant use of the ammo farm. Using the steps as a shield to snipe off the cyber was a good move, that poor bastard can't catch a break in any of these videos. Lava rev SSG fight was dangerous! Glad you got on the medkit ledge that I fixed ( I accidentally left it damaging before) ... You did that final slaughterfest section like a boss, probably easy after playing your maps haha. And the final revs can chase you on the bridge but never had a chance. Thanks again great video!

@Dubbag: Thanks for having a look my friend! I like the concept of keys used in secrets like E2M2 but don't think I really played with it myself until now. Good times

@ElPadrecitoCholo : Out of time for this morning but will look forward to watching your vid later and leave comments - thanks again!

I played this a few times and wandered around it in NoMo to collect some thoughts.

Spoiler

Very high damage hurt floor-heavy. UV could probably use a single radsuit somewhere to alleviate how awkward the tunnels are (I use an invuln because I didn't need it for anything else). It's not really worth it to return after getting the yellow key since there's enough resources elsewhere. It's also a little awkward to dance around in the circle room but that room is designed to be a deathtrap anyway, so it's not that important.

I like the emphasis on infighting.

Spider Mastermind probably should have been a couple of Archviles that teleport into the rooms you've just cleared, or another Cyberdemon, it's a pretty lackluster confrontation at the end of a map that has lots of monsters mixing together in its confrontations.

Looks pretty garish, but I think that's a positive most of the time. Embracing the garishness of the textures leads to stuff like the ceiling of the circle room, which is eye-catching next to all the REDROCK.

Archvile hallway is mindless BFG fun, which is a nice treat.

Pretty neat popcorn-action style map. Rough around the edges, but the core gameplay is engaging.

Sloppy Demo: mmm-1356.zip (not FDA, of course). I killed everything but skipped the secrets I either couldn't figure out or didn't think were worth it.

5 hours ago, Clippy said:

@TeK (⌐■_■) : Thank you so much for making a demo for me. I usually can't figure out how to get lmp's to run but I got er going and am proud of myself. That opening is designed to be tough - I don't think anyone survived it the first time yet. You really like punching air. Cyberdemon infighting is cool. Was the cybder mad at the rev at the top of the pepperoni platforming? He seemed to cheer when you killed the rev haha

My worst fears came true when cyber friend got stuck on the stairway to hell... not sure how to fix ... don't want to add monster block lines to restrict flow of enemies ... hopefully it's a rare occurrence. Punched him to death right in the groin, OUCH!

Badass moment when you ran into the lava steps with the rocket launcher equipped - bold move! That part where you blasted a bunch of zombiemen with BFG was awesome! Also at one point you killed a rev and it's missile was still circling you and hit an imp and the imp appeared to throw a fireball at nothing in anger.

altogether fun watch - thanks for playing!

If I had committed to shooting the switches instead of killing all the pinkies the first time I might've been able to squeak through to get the berserk. Heh yeah he was angry at the rev, I enjoy cyber infighting. Not sure how one would go about fixing the cyber getting stuck on the stairs, it was pure luck that he happened to be at that spot.

Glad you enjoyed the demo! I enjoyed the map so I'll have to record a uv fda now. I also hardly found any of the numerous secrets, I'll need to do better next time.

@ElPadrecitoCholo watched your vid and replying to your message:

Thanks for the video - it's always interesting when you pop in and gaming footage means a lot to me.

Nice to see your written review and glad to hear you enjoyed the experience! Great stuff

Re video:

You broke out of the start easy - but neglecting to grab the berserk means the surviving pinkies upstairs teleport down - glad you could still overcome this mean trick of mine.

There was lots of fun demon punching action here, punching demons with the berserk is a fave thing of mine to do. But seeing you punch a bunch of cacos was fun. The cyber demon dying early I find is bad because he can be your buddy early on. Also punching out the spider mama behind the bars was epic - also punching the fatty behind the blue bars. PS I had to fix one of those blue buttons as it was missing lights oops

When the cyber was alive he almost boxed you in the corner of the pepperoni platforming - amazing you got out

That mod was cool btw - seeing the sparks and embers from all the attacks etc

The archvile room was scary and you play more cautiously than I do - that moment is meant to scare the player and they have to just run for it and are fine

I meant to design it so the player couldn't have a moment of peace until later in the map but you managed to keep areas clear often

Always fun to see the ammo farm in use

You really got those monsters to infight while you hung out on the stairway to hell ... I should have made the stairs lower again lol

Kudos on finding 69% of my overly hidden secrets lol - and the rad suit - I will do a vid eventually explaining all the secrets but I think you found the most

You had so many cells at the end it was insane - I tried to design it so the player only has shells and bullets left at the end - oh wells

Thanks again!

10 hours ago, Clippy said:

@Dubbag: Thanks for having a look my friend! I like the concept of keys used in secrets like E2M2 but don't think I really played with it myself until now. Good times 

I had a video and everything done for you but after i finished it, the fucking OBS had no source chosen. So it was just all audio no video. Im so annoyed about it.

@Maribo

Hello there - happy to hear you played a few times! Re your thoughts:

I think I may have gone too far with the damage floors eh - I was in an evil mood I guess. The tunnels are meant to be hard to access as it's loaded with secrets --- best to grab when you have full health if you can, or the one radsuit secret cause I'm so tight with rad suits.  The yellow key stuff is probably more valuable early on after grabbing megasphere for 2 secrets which I'll reveal later

Infighting is cool I try to incorporate it a lot in my maps

As for the ending, I really ran out of steam past the exit bars. I figured a spider would be cool in there but wanted to limit it to one each of the bosses. I also didn't want more archviles or to make the player go through another big mess after the red skull button. I thought the player may be low on cells and rockets by then and have to SSG but everything didn't quite pan out. Not sure if I want to redesign this but I know where you're coming from

I suck at texturing glad you didn't find it offensive - I used like 3 textures primarirly lol

Setting up the archies in the blue key room meant I had to have them teleport somewhere ... I kind of lazily stuck most of them in that hallway - most ppl seem to like it - I was never sure about it

Popcorn map - yay! Gameplay is the thing I seem to focus on most so it's cool I seem to have pulled it off

--- re video:

yes secrets were too far - I love hiding things but can't help myself with over the top secrets - vid reveal coming eventually

Great video with fast and furious frantic berserk action! You almost got boxed in around the pepperoni pillars with cyber friend but glad you got out - intense!

I wonder if killing 3 fatties for a backpack is worth it in the techno hallway ...

Nice strategic saving of the Megasphere in the large H shaped room for later

That bulk cell with the pain elementals is the last one you get. I shouldn't have given more after getting red key but felt bad for sticking 3 of those lost soul poopers in there as @Austinado calls em

That secret invlun grab was not the intended way, I even tested it myself but you were able to pull it off. There is a switch to lower that but I'll allow it cause that was cool - Invuln is probably the best gateway to the other yellow key SSG secrets etc

again thanks for vid

---

@TeK (⌐■_■) -- Would watch a UV demo if you make one, no obligations - I found it stressful to attempt it myself haha - and the secrets are waaaay too well hidden, don't feel bad - reveal vid in the future

--

@Dubbag -- I completely understand technical difficulties - I have well over 1000 vids and lost quite a few along the way too - just the way she goes - I'm not disappointed at all and still happy you played it :)

Well I done did one. Second exit on attempt 7 in 10 something I already forgot lol. First exit was a 12:28 and kinda sloppy/shitty. Though I didn't properly learn how to open up the secret near the chainsaw, so I spent like a minute trying to get back in to get to the crusher switch, but gave up heh.

mmmuvdemo.zip