Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What games should I get based on my wishlist?

I plan to get a few retro games today, or maybe something retro-inspired, but I have no idea what I should get. I figure I would list all the retro games on my wishlist, since it would narrow down some good suggestions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations!

Steam wishlist:

• AvP Classic 2000
  • Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
  • Descent 1
  • Descent 2
  • Descent 3
  • Dusk '82
  • HROT
  • Max Payne
  • NAM
  • Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition
  • Outlaws
  • Painkiller Black Edition
  • Post Void
  • Powerslave Classic Edition
  • Redneck Rampage
  • Redneck Rampage Rides Again
  • Serious Sam HD First Encounter
  • Serious Sam HD Second Encounter
  • Shadowman Remastered
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2004
  • SW Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
  • SW Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast
  • SW Jedi Knight - Dark Forces 2
  • Turok
  • Turok 2
  • Vampire The Masquerade

Max Payne got delisted, so you may wait to them to i presume, re-release again on a new port.

Thoses on the list, i recomend Post Void, Powerslave, Dusk '82, Star Wars and Redneck Rampage Rides Again.

Careful with Jedi Knight 1. That game is notoriously painful to get working on modern operating systems. Otherwise those games are some of the best out there for Star Wars fans.

Having played Outlaws, it's fairly short but sweet, so it's probably a good choice at a low enough price. Might alternatively want to wait for The Force Engine to support it.

I'd give Serious Sam a try as well. Don't expect something exactly like Doom though. It's nearly always high pressure encounters with high enemy counts.

5 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

Max Payne got delisted, so you may wait to them to i presume, re-release again on a new port.

Thoses on the list, i recomend Post Void, Powerslave, Dusk '82, Star Wars and Redneck Rampage Rides Again.

Max Payne doesn't show up as delisted for me for some reason, and it's even on sale. Powerslave I've heard is an underrated classic, and I'm a bit mixed on the Redneck Rampage games because of it's gameplay flaws.

since I like shoot shoot shooty game, how about Serious Sam games? They're fun, but kinda get boring after 3 hours or so.

Spoiler

(also why did you have redneck rampage in your wishlist)

The 2 Turok remakes are a very enjoyable time!

I had a really good time w/ them. Post Void is also good - just keep in mind that it is quite difficult...

HROT is pretty good, but there really isn't that much content right now.

2 hours ago, Eddie 2077 said:

• Serious Sam HD First Encounter
  • Serious Sam HD Second Encounter

You could unlist these ones and buy Serious Sam: Classics Revolution, it comes with both encounters + an extra one, also new optional weapons and enemies.

Also an Enhanced version of the Serious Engine 1

11 minutes ago, GratefulName said:

You could unlist these ones and buy Serious Sam: Classics Revolution, it comes with both encounters + an extra one, also new optional weapons and enemies.

They should rename Serious Sam to "Running Backwards While Shooting Simulator"

SW Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast

One of the best games ever made. Great story, settings, characters and music that totally capture the Empire Strikes Back vibe. Fantastic gameplay - it was way ahead of it's time upon release. The first game to perfctly fuse FPS and 3rd person melee combat. (Unfortunately it takes a few chapters to get your lightsaber.) Has a really good multiplayer component, including bots, so single player- "multiplayer" is possible. 

Has a great cameo by Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian. If you like Star Wars, this game is a must. 

I just finished Descent 1 wrote a review about it too but in short, it's cramped and everything kills you in one hit so it's more frustrating than difficult. But it was fun in a way. Nice music though. Totally worth it if you into that peek-a-boo playstyle and total hopelessness feeling. (Sourceport is a must though.)

3 hours ago, Eddie 2077 said:
  • Vampire The Masquerade

There are multiple VtM games.  If you mean Bloodlines, you should buy it.  

If you mean some other VtM game ... you should buy Bloodlines.

(you also should get the free Unofficial Patch to fix bugs and add content that was not fully enabled in the original release)

2 hours ago, GratefulName said:

Just bought Classics Revolution, if you do so you get both Classic Encounters for free in their standalone version!

I ended up getting Portal 2, Powerslave Classic, Kingpin, and Dark Forces 2. Got Kingpin and Powerslave up and working, but I can't even get Dark Forces 2 to run and 2 out of the 3 options to fix it gets flagged in Microsoft Defender as viruses.

Edit: Figured out how to get Powerslave running with Raze from a Steam guide, still have no clue how to get Dark Forces 2 running without making Windows Defender freak out.

Edited by Eddie 2077 : Correction

7 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

You can't just add it as an exception?

I haven't done that yet, but I can try. The JKGfXMod is what gets flagged by Defender, as soon as I download it, so I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with it. Jedi Knight Remastered works, but the aspect ratio is incorrect despite what I set it to in the config. Fortunately, DF2 is the only game I've gotten lately that's a pain in the ass to get running, as every other game I've bought recently is a Nightdive re-release or enhanced edition/remaster or just easy to patch if I read through PCGamingWiki pages. 

So now I've got all these crossed off my wishlist:

• System Shock Enhanced Edition (GOG)
  • System Shock 2 (GOG)
  • SiN Gold (GOG)
  • Star Wars Dark Forces (GOG)
  • Kingpin (original, Steam)
  • Powerslave (DOS Classic, Steam)
  • Portal 2
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2

I am kind of biased, because I love the games, but I would highly recommend at least Serious Sam: Second Encounter. The first game does get kind of tiresome because it's the same desert theme throughout, but Second Encounter adds new environments, enemies, and weapons, and in my opinion is the best game in the series. And Turok is one of my favorite FPS games of all time, and Nightdive's remaster is great. Turok 2, I never cared for, and even with the great job on the remaster, I still don't. After suffering through Lair of the Blind Ones, I completely lose interest in the game. Happened on the N64, still happens on PC, it just completely fails to hold my interest. The levels are just too long, repetitive, and convoluted to be enjoyable.

AVP 2000 is a great game, the Marine campaign in particular is extremely tense and worth a playthrough if you can get it on sale. But the Alien campaign is enjoyable as well. The Predator campaign seems a bit too easy, but it's still fun.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is really enjoyable, but it does have to be modded to fix the many glitches it launched with. And if you do play it, don't do what I did and ignore all logical advice and play as a Malkavian on your first play through. Yes it's fun, yes you learn a lot about the world through their perception, but any subsequent play through is extremely boring after you've been through it as a Malkavian. 

And I would steer completely clear of the Redneck Rampage games, they are absolute trash. They're not even fun as a ridiculous curio of a bygone era, they are just bad games.

As a developer (mapper), I would suggest getting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. If you are into mapping or modding, then both games still have a very active modding community attached to it. As singleplayer games, I would suggest Aliens vs Predator and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (and go for the true patch, not Wesp5's "patch") . . .

11 hours ago, Jello said:

And I would steer completely clear of the Redneck Rampage games, they are absolute trash. They're not even fun as a ridiculous curio of a bygone era, they are just bad games.

I saw most of the issues in Civvie's video on those games, and they were all $7 each, so I got Powerslave instead. Took a little bit of googling to figure out how to get Raze to recognize it, but it seems worth it. 

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is really enjoyable, but it does have to be modded to fix the many glitches it launched with. And if you do play it, don't do what I did and ignore all logical advice and play as a Malkavian on your first play through. Yes it's fun, yes you learn a lot about the world through their perception, but any subsequent play through is extremely boring after you've been through it as a Malkavian. 

VTMB is one that I do intend to get later, I've seen enough good things about it to. I might get it during the Steam Winter/Christmas sale, whenever that is.

AVP 2000 is a great game, the Marine campaign in particular is extremely tense and worth a playthrough if you can get it on sale. But the Alien campaign is enjoyable as well. The Predator campaign seems a bit too easy, but it's still fun.

Considering how cheap it is when it's on sale, I probably will get it during the next sale. I've heard a lot of good things about it too, just haven't delved into what makes it good like I've been doing with VTMB and other games.

I am kind of biased, because I love the games, but I would highly recommend at least Serious Sam: Second Encounter. The first game does get kind of tiresome because it's the same desert theme throughout, but Second Encounter adds new environments, enemies, and weapons, and in my opinion is the best game in the series. And Turok is one of my favorite FPS games of all time, and Nightdive's remaster is great. Turok 2, I never cared for, and even with the great job on the remaster, I still don't. After suffering through Lair of the Blind Ones, I completely lose interest in the game. Happened on the N64, still happens on PC, it just completely fails to hold my interest. The levels are just too long, repetitive, and convoluted to be enjoyable.

I don't really remember which Turok I played, but I remember having it for the OG Xbox and having a bit of fun, so I may get both when possible and figure it out. I've been a bit hesitant on the Serious Sam games because I don't know a lot about them, and I've heard a lot about it having a very different player/enemy playstyle than Doom or Quake or whatever. But I could get them when they're on sale and not have to worry about spending $15-20 for something I might not be into.

3 hours ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I saw most of the issues in Civvie's video on those games, and they were all $7 each, so I got Powerslave instead. Took a little bit of googling to figure out how to get Raze to recognize it, but it seems worth it. 

VTMB is one that I do intend to get later, I've seen enough good things about it to. I might get it during the Steam Winter/Christmas sale, whenever that is.

Considering how cheap it is when it's on sale, I probably will get it during the next sale. I've heard a lot of good things about it too, just haven't delved into what makes it good like I've been doing with VTMB and other games.

I don't really remember which Turok I played, but I remember having it for the OG Xbox and having a bit of fun, so I may get both when possible and figure it out. I've been a bit hesitant on the Serious Sam games because I don't know a lot about them, and I've heard a lot about it having a very different player/enemy playstyle than Doom or Quake or whatever. But I could get them when they're on sale and not have to worry about spending $15-20 for something I might not be into.

1. Powerslave isn't bad, and I enjoyed it. I just figured there were better games on your wishlist. But yes, avoid Redneck Rampage. They are utter crap.

2. Yes, get VTMB, it's a fantastic and under rated game. It's a shame that it was rushed out the way it was, but it's extremely enjoyable. But again, patch it, and don't do a Malkavian playthrough the first time. It makes every other character seem pale in comparison, with the possible exception of the Nosferatu. 

3. If you played it on the Xbox, it was probably Turok: Evolution. Which I particularly enjoyed on the Gamecube, but it's widely reviled. However I think it's the second best Turok game after the first one, but many people would disagree with me. I think 3, Rage Wars, and 2008 are all terrible. Turok 2 is playable, but, and I hate to quote Family Guy's description of The Godfather, it insists on itself. It takes itself far more seriously than it has a right to.

Turok 1 (and again, Nightdive's remaster of it is fantastic) just feels like a completely enjoyable romp through the jungle with an amazing arsenal and varied enemies. I've never played a game that felt quite the same, except maybe Evolution, which has never seen a re-release. Turok 2008 was terrible, and I don't think 3 and Rage Wars will ever see a re-release, since none of them were ever released on PC. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. There was a PC port of Evolution, but it sounds like it was a complete mess. The GC version still fun, aside from the pterodactyl flying levels.

Grab the Serious Sam games! The witty humour and very tough challenges are an absolute blast to go through! Be aware, the leap from easy to normal is BIG as not only is your base HP halved (from 200 to 100), so is your ammo supply. Serious difficulty is also the hardest, despite Mental existing.