Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

What are some songs or artists who have been ruined in some way?

For example, Al Bowlly. In the 1930s, Al Bowlly was known as a South African singer of jazz and easy listening who made immortal songs such as "Midnight, The Stars and You" and "The Very Thought of You." In 2016, his 1931 song, the unsuccessful "Heartaches," was sampled by Leyland "The Caretaker" Kirby in "Everywhere at the End of Time." From there, Al Bowlly's "Heartaches" became a massively memed and overdone sensation, and now we only know Al Bowlly as "that one guy who made the original It's Just a Burning Memory."

Honestly, I think The Caretaker/James Leyland Kirby was kinda ruined by the meme too. "It's just a burning memory" doesn't really work outside of the full context of EATEOT (or Heartaches), in my opinion. His albums are meant to be long-form, somewhat abstract experiences. But all meme culture seems to remember of his work is the first 3 minutes, last 5 minutes, and marketing blurb of a six-album series.

For another example, I've long considered C418 to be an amazing electronic artist who is not dealt justice by being known solely as "the Minecraft guy." He has such a unique musical style and mastery of sound design, and in Minecraft Volume Alpha he's holding back a lot of that potential.

Edited by northivanastan

35 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

... His albums are meant to be long-form, somewhat abstract experiences. But all meme culture seems to remember of his work is the first 3 minutes...

Agreed! "It's just a burning memory" is a very good introduction but it's a bit of a meme now considering that everyone's used it for "I forgor" and Backrooms vids (which are sometimes funny but sometimes not)

The entire vaporwave genre. Anyone who's had to interact with a fan of the genre for more than 5 minutes (or just saw people like HKE or chris††† hawking NFTs) should understand why.

Any dance/techno remix or similar style cover of any song that was previously not that style. They should carry jail time *

* not really. Only joking ^

^ sort of...

1 hour ago, xdude_gamer said:

For example, Al Bowlly. In the 1930s, Al Bowlly was known as a South African singer of jazz and easy listening who made immortal songs such as "Midnight, The Stars and You" and "The Very Thought of You." In 2016, his 1931 song, the unsuccessful "Heartaches," was sampled by Leyland "The Caretaker" Kirby in "Everywhere at the End of Time." From there, Al Bowlly's "Heartaches" became a massively memed and overdone sensation, and now we only know Al Bowlly as "that one guy who made the original It's Just a Burning Memory."

Ironically EATEOT will let his memory live on much longer

For me, Lostprophets was ruined when I found out what the former lead singer did.

Shame too because Start Something was a great album. They say to separate the art from the artist... ehhhh. I don't know man.

Nightcore seems to me to be an anti-genre dedicated to the principle of ruining songs with as little effort as possible

Although this one is pretty funny (noting I actually really like the original work)

My workplace plays Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams' every morning, and it's completely ruined the song for me.

In an X-files episode called "Home" (Season 4 Episode 2), there's a song by Johnny Mathis entitled "Wonderful! Wonderful!". 

The song is cheerful and catchy, but anybody who has watched the episode might remember that "Wonderful! Wonderful!" was playing during a few creepy scenes. For me "Wonderful! Wonderful!" will be forever associated to that dreaded X-Files episode. 

For the record when Johnny Mathis read the script of the episode "Home" he refused to allow his version to be used, so it's another singer who did the performance. 

14 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Gary Glitter. If you know why, I don't think I need to say any more.

Even if he wasn't a pedophile, his most popular song would still be ruined due to it being "that song from Joker and 10,000 sporting events".

While sticking with the sports theme, Queen's "We Will Rock You" got old a long time ago.

nightcore fucking sucks. every single song that i see in nightcore ruins a bit of that song for me. its so stupid and unoriginal that it hurts

16 hours ago, Giant Jumbo Jellyfish said:

The entire vaporwave genre. Anyone who's had to interact with a fan of the genre for more than 5 minutes (or just saw people like HKE or chris††† hawking NFTs) should understand why.

Eh disagree there. Vaporwave is an overdone-to-death aesthetic no doubt, but its still good lol

Once a well-regarded 60's ditty, now everytime I listen to it I think of Zodiac and get creeped out beyond measure. 

2 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

That Happy song by Pharell. It is forever ruined by the news story of some lady who died texting and driving while listening to this song.

On the topic of tragedies, when I found out the backstory behind Pumped Up Kicks, I couldn't listen to it in the same way.

Vaporwave and nightcore can go fuck itself. I also can't listen to nirvana due to a family friend who decided that doing things that I'd rather not get into detail about to me was a good idea, he used to listen to them like crazy.

19 minutes ago, Crystal-Hawk_D00M said:

Vaporwave and nightcore can go fuck itself. I also can't listen to nirvana due to a family friend who decided that doing things that I'd rather not get into detail about to me was a good idea, he used to listen to them like crazy.

Damn that sucks. Nirvana's one of my favorite bands, too. It's a lot like in "A Clockwork Orange" when they rehabilitate the main character and he associates the torturous rehab process with his favorite piece... Beethoven's Ninth.

1 hour ago, Crystal-Hawk_D00M said:

Vaporwave and nightcore can go fuck itself.

What? You don't enjoy listening to the same supersaws and gated drum kits with the same exact imagery and style? Are you lame??? 

1 hour ago, xdude_gamer said:

Damn that sucks. Nirvana's one of my favorite bands, too. It's a lot like in "A Clockwork Orange" when they rehabilitate the main character and he associates the torturous rehab process with his favorite piece... Beethoven's Ninth.

It's sort of like that, except I wasn't re-educated. I still can't sleep on my side or on my stomach at all without wanting to scream.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

What? You don't enjoy listening to the same supersaws and gated drum kits with the same exact imagery and style? Are you lame??? 

Maybe.

Mandopony. During my unfortunate FNAF phase, I listened to a lot of stuff and I loved it. But I can never look at him the same after hearing about what he did.

17 minutes ago, Pyborg said:

Mandopony. During my unfortunate FNAF phase, I listened to a lot of stuff and I loved it. But I can never look at him the same after hearing about what he did.

Lemme guess. P*do stuff?