Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo Slayer

What do you plan to get for Christmas?

6 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

No more advertising for/talk about Christmas until December 22. Seriously it's like the rest of the planet just forgot about Thanksgiving.

At risk of sounding like a smug and pretentious European, the rest of the planet probably forgot about Thanksgiving since they don't celebrate it.

Thanksgiving is also a difficult holiday due to its roots in a colonialist myth that borders on genocide denial. You can make arguments that it's possible to have a feast day detached from that origin but I totally understand why many people living in the US choose not to celebrate it.

Thanksgiving it's not really celebrated in my Country and we mostly use November for mostly cultural stuff. December being the mostly religious and wholesome in the decorations and stuff.

I'm also just want to buy a headphones with mic, and that will go out of my pocket and just save 2 months more.

Oh don't worry, they'll try to make Thanksgiving illegal real soon. And then November 1st to January 1st will be several months of Christmas (kill me) 

I genuinely don't know what I want anymore as far as material possessions go. Besides, the things I really want/need right now can't be bought from a store. Just have to work harder to obtain them. I'll just give myself the gift of a three week vacation this Xmas so I can chill and maybe catch up on my reading. I've got a lot of books I've bought for the last few years that have just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I need to fix that. I think I'll take a sabbatical from the computer in general for the first week, if not longer. Thanks to the pandemic, all I've done this year and last year was edit videos for work and play Doom. I think I really need some time away from sitting at a desk and staring at a screen for a while.

That'll be my gift for myself this year. 

Edited by Biodegradable

13 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

No more advertising for/talk about Christmas until December 22. Seriously it's like the rest of the planet just forgot about Thanksgiving. September is the month of Halloween now, apparently, November 1 is the start of CyberBlack month, because Black Friday and Cyber Monday are now a month-long uni-holiday, and Christmas starts on November 2. What's that? Being grateful for things you already have? That doesn't sound very consumerist of you. REAL Americans go out and buy shit they don't need, on credit they don't have. Just ask Uncle Sam, he's been busy opening some early Christmas presents this year. Couple trillion will do nicely over 10 years, but don't worry you can start feeling the cost of inflation today!

Man, firstly have you considered the fact that not everyone is American? Christmas is a near-universally celebrated holiday in the western world, with pockets of people celebrating it in the eastern half of the world. Here in Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October, and everywhere else straight up doesn't care about Thanksgiving.

Secondly, Winter kinda sucks for most people. I like it, I like the cold. But for 99% of people, winter is something that can't end soon enough. So let them have their saving grace of Christmas, even if it takes place for the duration of Advent, which literally predates any sort of industry, which takes the concept of "Christmas for the entirety of December and Early November" into religion.

In my weird professional niche it's currently in vogue to celebrate "Winter Solstice" for maximum inclusivity. Similarly, "Harvest Festival" can refer to Canadian Thanksgiving, Oktoberfest, American Thanksgiving, whatever. Any time you want to turn those excess crops into beer and belly fat in anticipation of the end of plenty and the beginning of the long, cold winter.

I'm getting my sister's kids Nintendo Switch games for Christmas. Probably giving booze, preserves, cheeses and dried meats to the adults in the family. I'm a big support of "fun things for kids, luxury consumables for adults" because kids should have fun and adults shouldn't have their homes cluttered up with bullshit knickknacks. Chocolate and wine and jam are always welcome.

Not sure where all the Thanksgiving arguments began; I'll just say in the UK, Christians and some other religions celebrate a Harvest Festival, but there's no secular equivalent for us atheists; we don't have to give thanks for arriving in the new world - and thanking god for helping us get kick the soon-to-be yanks out of England might be a bit contentious :p :p As for XMAS as an atheist, it is just a seasonal end-of-year holiday that in some form or other has been celebrated by loads of religions including pagans and (in an agricultural sense) atheists for millennia.

Most of my family are very old or have passed away (heck, I'll be 60 in 3 years), so there are only 4 people in my life that I'm on present exchanging terms with and it's more a token thing between us; for myself I have a treat in mind, but won't be ready to order it for some time as there is a learning curve to wade through with the current version of it before buying the next, and typical order-to-delivery times are in the order of 10 weeks. So XMAS will be a 'walking the marshes with a camera, eating chocolate and getting drunk' kinda thing for me :p

This list isn't really for Christmas,but for my birthday, my mother probably threw away my Christmas list as the presents are here.

-Commodore 128

-1Mb C64/128 RAM Expander

-2 C128 Color monitors

-C64/128 floppy disks

-1571 Disk Drive

And finally, -Petscii Robots for the C64 and the C128

The ultimate C64 Gaming Setup

Edited by Redoom

On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

Oh don't worry, they'll try to make Thanksgiving illegal real soon.

what do you mean

On 12/3/2021 at 11:59 AM, UnclePhil said:

In my weird professional niche it's currently in vogue to celebrate "Winter Solstice" for maximum inclusivity.

Sure, it only leaves out half the planet.

As a Brit living in America, I have always found people taking offence at the word Christmas odd. I mean, I get it, but in largely atheist countries (such as UK and most of mainland Europe) the word is just used (as Martin hints at) as a term for that time at the end of the year when people have at least a few days off, exchange gifts, watch crap on TV and eat, drink and be merry. And a few people try to remind everyone else that there's some kind of mythological backstory, with limited success. So the word itself is no big deal. When British people get a card from an American saying "Happy Holidays", they'll typically just be confused, especially if they won't be going on holiday anywhere for a few months.

So when someone says "Happy Holidays" to me, I am in a bit of a quandary. I'm aware that if I respond with the natural (to me) "Merry Christmas", this might be taken as a religious statement, whereas in fact it is an irreligious one.

Anyway, have a fractal Christmas tree.

fractview-2019-11-12-19-08.png

(Made with Fractview app, formula "mandelbrot(z, p+i*z)")

I don't celebrate Christmas (I'm Jewish), but Hanukkah just ended a few days ago, and being 19 I guess I'm still young enough for my parents to buy me gifts. On Steam I got the "Wolf Pack", which contains Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I got the "Heretic and Hexen Collection", which contains Heretic, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel, and Hexen 2. I also got Back 4 Blood, and was preordered the PC version of God of War (the one from 2018). I also got an Alienware computer monitor to plug into my gaming laptop so I can have a dual-screen setup. Oh, I almost forgot, one of my friends gave me Dusk on Steam as well.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:07 PM, Grazza said:

As a Brit living in America, I have always found people taking offence at the word Christmas odd.

Do people actually do that? Or do they just try to include people who don't celebrate a nominally Christian holiday?

Honestly, I don't really have much to want for Christmas other than money but I might give myself a bootleg Fumo this year since I can't afford authentic ones.

aulsr4fc.cvg

I don't know what character I want to get yet though.

1 hour ago, BrassKnight said:

I might give myself a bootleg Fumo this year since I can't afford authentic ones.

I would not recommend it. If you don't want to wait around for the bi/triyearly sales, I'd get a nesoberi or a Taito plush or something similar, or in other words anything that isn't a bootleg with a head so out of whack it looks like it's not seen oxygen in a week.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, UnclePhil said:

I'm getting my sister's kids Nintendo Switch games for Christmas. Probably giving booze, preserves, cheeses and dried meats to the adults in the family. I'm a big support of "fun things for kids, luxury consumables for adults" because kids should have fun and adults shouldn't have their homes cluttered up with bullshit knickknacks. Chocolate and wine and jam are always welcome.

*goes to UnclePhil's house, takes all the chocolate, and then leaves*.