Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neigh Winny

Doom 64: Ethereal Breakdown Discussion Thread

I've been really, really itching to give this a shot, but I'm terrified of the learning curve. How does it compare to mapping for Classic? Is it a whole different builder, or the ropes are about the same?

The only difference to mapping for Doom 64 is making areas bigger because of bigger hitboxes, colored lighting, and the macro system.

That last bit with macros is the same as ACS in GZDoom except you can only execute one of them at a time.

5 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I've been really, really itching to give this a shot, but I'm terrified of the learning curve. How does it compare to mapping for Classic? Is it a whole different builder, or the ropes are about the same?

Fundamentally it is a lot like the classic Doom but with some extra features on top. The map editor is Doom Builder 64, which is a fork of Doom Builder 2. If you have used GZDoom Builder or Ultimate Doom Builder, you will find a lot of similarities. We have a guide to help people get started here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7bbxzU1xEHg2gSbi_GDlV1VOqTQpzfecNon5Q_wv5w/

Also we're happy to answer questions and help out as people go along. :)

17 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Fundamentally it is a lot like the classic Doom but with some extra features on top. The map editor is Doom Builder 64, which is a fork of Doom Builder 2. If you have used GZDoom Builder or Ultimate Doom Builder, you will find a lot of similarities. We have a guide to help people get started here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7bbxzU1xEHg2gSbi_GDlV1VOqTQpzfecNon5Q_wv5w/

Also we're happy to answer questions and help out as people go along. :)

Cool, will give it a shot then. Considering the remaining time it will be a fairly compact map though. 

1 hour ago, Thelokk said:

Cool, will give it a shot then. Considering the remaining time it will be a fairly compact map though. 

I personally enjoy compact maps!

Aaand I'm already stumped. The link in the first post that should take me to the builder takes me to a port instead? very confused XD

1 minute ago, Thelokk said:

Aaand I'm already stumped. The link in the first post that should take me to the builder takes me to a port instead? very confused XD

The page links a file called builder64_setup.exe, that is the editor. 

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

The page links a file called builder64_setup.exe, that is the editor. 

Nice catch! The page is indeed kind of confusing at first look, so I have updated the guide to include that file to download.

In recreating Morbid Angel's "Gateways to Annihilation" album cover, I've found that I'm creating environments without really knowing what role they'll play in the map. It's a very different approach compared to my other map which was carefully planned out in advance.

ZzEv83I.jpg

yO0CL40.jpg

12Zz0AY.jpg

About a month left to work on a map for this map jam! If you are interested in getting involved, but don't think a month is enough time to finish a map, well there is a map open for collaboration. @Impboy4 and @jdagenet have a map that's nearly finished and just needs someone to finish one of the key areas. So if you are interested, let us know!

Also for those who have access to the resources, @hardcore_gamer's Secondary Engineering has been updated and is ready for some playtesting!

Very nice work guys :) I'm out of town for a while but I'll gladly be keeping an eye out on recent progress.

The deadline has been extended by at least a month! The new date hasn't been decided yet, but I wanted to let everyone know just in case anyone was planning to scramble to make the old deadline. If you know anyone who still wants to make a map, but didn't think they had the time. Let them know they now have at least a month.

We came to this decision as people wanted the opportunity to submit multiple maps. I can't say no to people having fun with Doom 64 mapping. And thanks to @Kaiser@sponge, and @Edward850 for making it easier for us to get this compatible with the remaster! And if you have been patiently waiting for the anniversary release, we're discussing some ideas for the meantime...

Nice! i can finish this in time, i got the linedef limit but that is not a problem, i will just remove unnecessary details and then test some stuff.
image.png.016b2db2e83f129b1b3f1b469070e848.png

image.png.9eea40f76bf59bab6f5e760346c76588.png

On 2/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, Immorpher said:

The deadline has been extended by at least a month! The new date hasn't been decided yet, but I wanted to let everyone know just in case anyone was planning to scramble to make the old deadline. If you know anyone who still wants to make a map, but didn't think they had the time. Let them know they now have at least a month.

We came to this decision as people wanted the opportunity to submit multiple maps. I can't say no to people having fun with Doom 64 mapping. And thanks to @Kaiser@sponge, and @Edward850 for making it easier for us to get this compatible with the remaster! And if you have been patiently waiting for the anniversary release, we're discussing some ideas for the meantime...

Awesome,  I haven't had as much free time but I should in the next month to really get into it

Screens of my map contribution

Spoiler

Map title : death gate

vanilla d64 formating mode, 487 sectors in total.

shares the Pitfalls music (musamb17) and original red sky (F_SKYB).

mapping started since early february and finished today

tested with both D64EX and the remaster.

lXCu3SH.png

i3sLQxg.png

DqXOGnB.png

Jetx 121's Templum Mortis has been added to the testing WAD in map slot 08! If you are a mapper for this jam but dont have access to this WAD, let me know!

You've seen the screen shots above. Now for the mappers who have access to the resource wads... The Waterlogged Castillo has been added to Map slot 9 and is ready to test on both ports!