Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeebleton

Welcome To Die (VERSION 2.0/FINAL)

This is Welcome To Die! A single-level Doom II slaughter-map that's really difficult! Including music, title graphics, and more! I'd even consider it a professional's treat!

Other info that's probably needed:
-Works only with Boom and other ports that support it (Tested on DSDA-Doom, GZDoom, and Marine's Best Friend).
-Does include hard mode and multiplayer exclusive changes.
-Exiting the level will just bring you to good ol' MAP02, because there are no other maps than MAP01 that are changed.
-The map format used is Doom II (boom).

2.0 CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

-Upgraded the level.
-You now aren't welcomed to confusion by the dumb shoot-able exit.
-Added a (secret) proper burial for the old exit.
-Added hard mode exclusive enemies.
-Added multiplayer-exclusive enemies.
-Added a Megasphere and Invulnerability Sphere at the start to make the level playable.
-Added a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle extra enemies to compensate for the power-ups
-Added secrets.
-Works on MBF and Boom on DOS (Tested with DOSBox).
-Kept the old version.
-I hope you all enjoy the first and last update of the map!

Files:
thou_ultimate_nightmare_challenge(WTDproto).zip <------(WTD PROTOTYPE, KEPT HERE FOR ARCIVAL PURPOUSES)
 WTD.zip <---(OUTDATED, KEPT HERE FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOUSES) 
WTD2.0.zip <--(THIS IS THE CURRENT VERSION, DOWNLOAD THIS)

Screenshots:doom00.png.be0b2639b56f8e34869e14d37739270a.pngdoom01.png.2ffbe111ea2efdf217216e36a01354c3.pngdoom02.png.8be140c78ba90953f0264f6f59eb7ec3.png

Edited by DoodlesYT : made the proto downloadable

Ok... I don't really know from where I should start with this map...  that's it.

Jokes aside, first attempt ended in 24 seconds without even knowing what happened, then I remembered the description...

Pros part: I actually enjoyed the map, I always like when there's big infights, they have been 24 cool seconds, for real.

Cons: all of the rest... It's a not too big box, with 5 boxy pillars, with a bunch of textures attached, 1 megasphere, 1 megarmor, 1 shotgun, 1 supershotgun and ammos, with some random big ass monster at the middle.

Funny the first time, I like this type of playtime sometimes, no thoughts, no engagement, no waste of time, just immediate fun.

BUT, you play it once and you delete it and even forget it in a couple of hour and that's a great issue.

What really bothers me is the end: why the hell you put a wall, in the middle of the only room, that make you finish the level when you hit it? Doesn't make any sense at all and it's a dreadful idea. Like I said, I completed it in 24 seconds cause I happen to hit that wall with a random shot and that took away all the fun I was having.

Tested a second time, being able to kill everything and then? Nothing... I just opened the map and "oh, here's the red-exit line", done.

Since, like I said, I like this kind of stuff, I suggest you to make better use of this, for example: you could transform that line in a trap instead, like if the player accidentally hits that wall, all the killed monsters will raise up, while, to exit the level, you need to kill them all.

You could really come up with a series of these kind of map, in which you hide some sort of gimmick like this one, I bet it would have a discrete success and I would surely play through it all with pleasure.

But, the way it is now, it's a NO from me.

1 hour ago, Kan3 said:

Ok... I don't really know from where I should start with this map...  that's it.

Jokes aside, first attempt ended in 24 seconds without even knowing what happened, then I remembered the description...

Pros part: I actually enjoyed the map, I always like when there's big infights, they have been 24 cool seconds, for real.

Cons: all of the rest... It's a not too big box, with 5 boxy pillars, with a bunch of textures attached, 1 megasphere, 1 megarmor, 1 shotgun, 1 supershotgun and ammos, with some random big ass monster at the middle.

Funny the first time, I like this type of playtime sometimes, no thoughts, no engagement, no waste of time, just immediate fun.

BUT, you play it once and you delete it and even forget it in a couple of hour and that's a great issue.

What really bothers me is the end: why the hell you put a wall, in the middle of the only room, that make you finish the level when you hit it? Doesn't make any sense at all and it's a dreadful idea. Like I said, I completed it in 24 seconds cause I happen to hit that wall with a random shot and that took away all the fun I was having.

Tested a second time, being able to kill everything and then? Nothing... I just opened the map and "oh, here's the red-exit line", done.

Since, like I said, I like this kind of stuff, I suggest you to make better use of this, for example: you could transform that line in a trap instead, like if the player accidentally hits that wall, all the killed monsters will raise up, while, to exit the level, you need to kill them all.

You could really come up with a series of these kind of map, in which you hide some sort of gimmick like this one, I bet it would have a discrete success and I would surely play through it all with pleasure.

But, the way it is now, it's a NO from me.

you know, I agree with you, but unfortunately, thats all I can do at the moment. I've never really done any mapping other than a dumb shitpost I made that got removed (likely for a very, very, VERY good reason). I hope in the future, I can fix every problem the level has (and I should really start by removing the dumb exit that I added).

Yeah, so this has some really strange design choices. The strange exit that ended the level before I killed the two cybers is a good example. I don't understand why shooting a random wall triggers an exit(for reference I opened the map with UDB). It just seems a bit bizarre to me. There's also the one random stealth monster which I think has no place in the map at all. It just seems really random, and most maps rarely, if ever make use of this feature.

I was going to do a full analysis/playtest but I thought It'd be best if my thoughts were summed up in this case. I don't want to sound harsh, though. This was your first map(excluding the shitpost map) and you should be allowed to make mistakes. It's how we learn, after all. I'll leave a video here that was recommended to me when I released my first map. It should give you a good idea of what to do and what not to do. Keep at it. Your next map will be better than the first. I guarantee it. 

I'm a sucker for such, uh, half baked maps to put it in a friendly tone, that however does not mean I like them all.

To be very careful and respectful, you have to try a bit more than your current work to consider it a professionals treat. Placing some high-tier monsters in one room, giving you a SSG and being able to end the map in one second while everything crashes and burns does not scream "I'm proud of this work!".

Making a shitpost and knowing it's one just kinda punches every newbie mapper into their faces that try to give a damn and put in some effort into their maps. I don't think you're that kind of guy who would do that in spite of everyone. For now that is.

I'll give you that, this map doesn't contain any D_RUNNIN, so that gets bonus points.

Have a nice day.

I saw @Biodegradable 's playthrough,  and i like the red hell-themed. It's basic, with some design errors, but that's the way how people learn: making mistakes. Good infights add extra points (for me)

Go ahead by mapping! 

Cheers

On 11/29/2021 at 8:42 PM, thiccyosh said:

I'm a sucker for such, uh, half baked maps to put it in a friendly tone, that however does not mean I like them all.

To be very careful and respectful, you have to try a bit more than your current work to consider it a professionals treat. Placing some high-tier monsters in one room, giving you a SSG and being able to end the map in one second while everything crashes and burns does not scream "I'm proud of this work!".

Making a shitpost and knowing it's one just kinda punches every newbie mapper into their faces that try to give a damn and put in some effort into their maps. I don't think you're that kind of guy who would do that in spite of everyone. For now that is.

I'll give you that, this map doesn't contain any D_RUNNIN, so that gets bonus points.

Have a nice day.

hey, thanks for the feedback.

just to clarify, this is NOT a shitpost, nor is it any thing made to offend anyone or new mappers (trust me, I learnt my lesson the last time I made a shitpost map, what was I even thinking?). its my first ever (actual) map, with having almost no experience with doom mapping. I assure you, the upcoming version will have extra quality, and will be something Im pretty sure everyone will like.

The update that everyone wanted, V2.0/final is here! I made it the final version because I want to work on more doom mods other than this, and I want to finally take a rest after 3 days of hard work making this update a reality, and I already know that there aren't any problems with this update. Enjoy!

I decided to do the impossible and added the proto to the downloads. enjoy the first ever version of WTD (although I know you guys wont because it doesnt even have an exit)

I spent most of the vid learning and planning for this map since it's so random lol - no clearly marked doors or indicators and a random shot ends the level. There's no UV maxing this one