Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trashlord

How likely is it that Aliens TC would be brought over to the console versions of Doom Classic?

Would they have to first get permission from Disney to put an Aliens themed wad into an official release of Doom even if the wad itself was free? I would love to play arguably the only good adaptation of Aliens on the go but the issue with that is rights issues are a bitch and even if kevin fisher agreed to it, would Bethesda need to seek approval from disney?

You would have a better chance of winning a duel against Satan himself armed with his finest flaming pitchfork and you armed with nothing but an under-cooked chocolate cake than getting any kind of official release of the Aliens TC.

The chance of the Aliens Licence getting a decent FPS is next to none so I highly doubt a third party mod laying in dubious copyright grounds would stand less of a chance.

What Aliens TC are you referring to, anyway? As far as I know, there are at least three of them out there.

39 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

What Aliens TC are you referring to, anyway? As far as I know, there are at least three of them out there.

The one by Justin Fisher. The one we all played. The best doom wad ever.

OP use a real source port not an exploitative closed source one

15 minutes ago, Gwarl said:

Here we go

54 minutes ago, Gwarl said:

There's nothing exploitative about it. Hell it's directly resulted in community members getting jobs and paid for their work, it's actually done quite some good.

52 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Oh yeah, I too love Brutal Doom :^)

I mean really, who doesn't?

Spoiler

pls don't send me death threats

It's actually still pretty effective if you turn off the regular Doom music, or better, throw on a scary soundtrack. The Doom PSX/64 soundtracks work really well for that purpose. It's a remarkably good survival horror experience for its time. At least until the fight with the Queen which is bullshit unless you have a stock of weapons coming in from the last level; it's essentially having to kill a baron with half the HP of a mastermind with the chainsaw, and no health pickups.

2 hours ago, Gwarl said:

The one by Justin Fisher. The one we all played. The best doom wad ever.

Unfortunately that real source port isn't available on Switch and I'm not lugging my laptop around just to play doom on the go.

4 minutes ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Does Bethesda Doom even have any Tc's at the moment? I haven't checked.

Rekker.

5 minutes ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Pirate Doom would be a great addition 

That's a GZDoom mod. You would need a number even lower than the negative inaccessible cardinal to describe that chance, given it might as well be for a different engine altogether in comparison.

14 minutes ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Doubtful with the current copyright in Disney's hands. Does Bethesda Doom even have any Tc's at the moment? I haven't checked. Pirate Doom would be a great addition 

Doubtful doesn't enter into it. If a WAD uses any IP or copyrighted material belonging to another company it's going to be an instant rock hard unshakeable no correspondence entered into absolutely no way in Hell now or ever in all known and all unknown dimensions. Disney would want major dollars. Bethesda wouldn't want to pay as much as Disney would want. If God himself came down and demanded it, Disney would probably sue God for facilitating copyright infringement.

In short, no.

Weird but on topic segway...Fox used to own Aliens, but now Disney does, and while the TC walks the line legally it's otherwise fine but there's no way it'll ever be added to the officially supported list for obvious reasons. Correct?

Anyway, wasn't "Foxing a project" a term for when a passionate fan project was squashed by the IP holder, named after Fox did that to some fans making a mod using a lot of their character IPs (like a multiverse thing) way back in the day?

So Disney foxing a project for infringing on an IP they bought from Fox is...well, not irony. I have no idea what it is, or if I'm even in the right ballpark here.

3 minutes ago, Johnatone said:

Weird but on topic segway...Fox used to own Aliens, but now Disney does, and while the TC walks the line legally it's otherwise fine but there's no way it'll ever be added to the officially supported list for obvious reasons. Correct?

It doesn't walk the line. It shoots over the line on a rocket screaming "Woohoo! Fuck you line!" Those early TCs only got out because the suits at the time didn't know what you pressed to make it work when it came to the Internet. It's now too out there to bother trying to kill it. A similar TC using someone else's IP might succeed for Doom today because it either doesn't get noticed, or they figure Doom is so niche now it's not worth the bother. But no way no how is it getting an official release.

6 minutes ago, Johnatone said:

Anyway, wasn't "Foxing a project" a term for when a passionate fan project was squashed by the IP holder, named after Fox did that to some fans making a mod using a lot of their character IPs (like a multiverse thing) way back in the day?

That rings a dim and distant bell. I believe you are correct.

12 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

That rings a dim and distant bell. I believe you are correct.

Okay, so my assessment that Disney would kill any new attempts to bring attention to the mod being like foxing is somewhat correct. I was hoping I wasn't crazy lol.

I remember being worried about that when Quake Champions: Doom Edition came out, and actually thought about it today when I found a screen cap I had of the release weekend matches. Thankfully iD and Bethesda aren't dicks like that to our community though.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, Rudolph said:

I have actually never played that one. It looks pretty bad, at least by today's standards.

Today’s standards look pretty bad, at least by my standards.

lol, it's just a joke. Monday night quarterbacking about wads that are over 20 years old always strikes me as absurd, it's like criticizing Scott de Martinville's phonautograph from 1860 for not recording audio in high quality.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

lol, it's just a joke. Monday night quarterbacking about wads that are over 20 years old always strikes me as absurd, it's like criticizing Scott de Martinville's phonautograph from 1860 for not recording audio in high quality.

Yes, it's more than a bit daft. Aliens TC is pretty incredible given the time it was made. I remember an earlier Aliens wad that was just a straight graphics and sound reskin with some new maps. Then Aliens TC came along and it really was a revelation. It showed what could be done by one guy, some modest tools, and a lot of time and determination.

PS: I was going to make a joke about you being so old school you considered any WAD with more than 12 linedefs in a room over-detailed but decided against it.