Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kute

Just curious, do you have the grenades on your mousehand? Which hand for switching weapons?

I have played through the game a couple times since the release. The first time on the second difficulty and the second time on the one below Nightmare. I think Ultra violence? Playing it very casually.

But like 8 days ago I decided I wanted to actually get decent at the game and revamped my controls and started playing on Nightmare. When I played through the game before, I pretty much used my classic doom controls with the grenades thrown onto some spare mouse buttons. I thought I just had to get more comfortable but it was hurting my brain to use my mouse hand to do the weapon switches, fire, alt-fire, switch grenades, shoot grenades, and do the armor flamethrower. I just could not do something mandatory like shoot, throw out a ice grenade, fast-swap weapons(while firing), switch to flak grenade, fire flak grenades. IDK maybe being in my mid 30's now I just couldn't get it to feel right. I could do it but I had to think about it

So I bit the bullet and put everything on my keyboard except my weapons and fire/altfire - and armor flamer but that's up on middle-mouse and it's separate enough that it doesn't get in the way. This worked much better and now I'm plowing NM pretty easily. I'm like 75% through and while I still have deaths, it's not like the first few slayer gates where it took me like 12 tries. It was really rough at first but I could feel things improving by the hour. Now I'm no zeromaster but I feel fairly confident about getting in the air and getting off say a precision bolt, ballista, ssg shot. Whereas before I'd only go for kills with those weapons in ice grenades, then run around with either the rocket launcher or shield minigun pretty much playing like a more aerial classic fps until the grenades was off-cooldown

Playing NM also made me realize I needed to hurry the fuck up, no more just starting to run somewhere. Constantly dashing.

But I'm really just curious which stuff you all have bound to the mouse

I have switch equipment for Mouse4 and fire equipment for Mouse5 that I control with my thumb. It works really well like that. Mouse1 is fire & 2 is alt-fire. Flame belch is for E, chainsaw for C, Bloodpunch/glorykill for F, Crucible for G. BFG for T. Ballista is at Q, chaingun 1, shotty, 2, SSG 3, HMG 4, RL 5, Plasma 6. Besides all that, a normal WASD+left shift for dash. Oh yeah, and R for switching weapons mod.

I launch grenades with mouse3 and have chainsaw/flame belch on the m4 and m5 thumb buttons. I do all weapon and equipment switching on the keyboard.

I played DOOM 2016 (UV and Nightmare) and Eternal (UV) with an MMO mouse, where the left and right column of the 12-button pad is set to the primary weapons, middle click is Use equipment/Grenade and the middle column was BFG (in 2016)/Flame Belch, Chainsaw, Melee and Change Equipment. I only have the Crucible to worry about on my keyboard.

This has allowed me to focus entirely on movement with my left-hand.

To be specific, I have both shotguns at the top of each column, plasma-based guns on the left, bullet-based guns on the right, rocket launcher on the bottom-right and BFG/Unmaykr on the bottom-left. In 2016, I didn't map the pistol or the classic shotgun(?). I only mapped that shotgun for the battle with the Spiderdemon on Nightmare.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough on NM now and I'm just fuckin flying. I'm not as worried about the UI issues as I was before, I really thought you'd constantly have to be plowing grenades mid weapon swaps and stuff, but watching dudes like zeromaster I realized they have the same shit on the go as I do - their grenades sit on CD for a while, they rarely bring out the chaingun, etc. So I stopped worrying about that shit and I just try to play an hour or so a day. I'm 36 and it's tough to get up for games at all, so I'm happy when I can find one I can stomach enough to get ok at

I always unbind “weapon scrolling” from the mousewheel in my shooters, and always have “wheel up/wheel down” to be two different weapons.

For Eternal in particular I have it set to the ballista and the super shotgun. On the times I just want to go back and forth between those two, it’s just holding fire and mousewheeling up and down.

I also have four other buttons on my mouse that I utilize, I think everything but the BFG is on there.

I aim handling the Mouse with the Dragon Claw Technique, so i can't use other Buttons.

Buttons on the Site are made for Users of the Manta Ray Technique.

TBH I've played quite a bit since I made this post and any issue I had with my UI has kind of gotten steamed over. I feel decent at the game now, I can fly through NM master lvls pretty good, and one day I realized out of nowhere I was tossing out effortless PB combo's I hadn't even practiced - the brain works in such mysterious ways. I had to concentrate so hard just to try and make the basic PB/rocket launcher work, so I kind of got lazy, then after a month I can do it across all my binds seemingly out of nowhere - vry unexpected

The game has been surprising the fuck out of me by getting more fun the better I get and the more I play. I'm honestly thrilled. I'm 36 and on methadone after a decade or so of hard opiates and a ton, ton, ton of blow. I think I learned alot about videogames and addiction and the importance of brain chemistry on your activities during the last decade, but in any event, this is the first game I've honestly looked forward to playing since my mid to late 20's. Everything else I'd have to talk myself into it a bit. 

I don't even mind turning off the miner on the 3070 on my personal rig, which actually has bothered me in the year and a half I've been mining. It's one of the reasons I was playing Doom 2 wads alot, because I could software render it and not lose any money. Although bitcoin is doing so shit right now it wouldn't bother me anyway tbh.

I still can't do quickswapping while also swapping and firing grenades simultaneously, but if I'm honest - I don't think I ever will, my noggin just doesn't let me do that. It's not like say dashing/jumping while quickswapping and firing, there's just something about it that just locks my brain up. But I'm ok with it, if I have to hold down fire for a second to swap grenades and lose like a PB shot once a minute, fuck it.

I do have one issue left actually now that I think about it. Flamebelch is on middle mouse and sometimes I want to use it and don't have any fingers as they are holding fire and alt fire. Again, I don't think it's going to cost me anything really, but it's a minor imperfection and I'm not sure if it's worth it to re-learn.

Grieber if you happen to read this I like that mouse scroll being a couple weapons thing, I was going to try that at one point because I had mouse wheeldown for mod swap, and every now and then I guess I'd hit the button funny for flamebelch (middle mouse click) and the next time I pulled a weapon out - it'd have the wrong mod and I'd just fall over and die. So mousewheel is nothing right now but I'm thinking I might turn it into crucible and BFG honestly - I have very weird binds for those because I literally don't use them outside of the icon of sin