Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-X-Machina

How does sector raise/lower timing/speed work?

Question

Hey all...

So, basically I have some ideas for some big hydraulic/piston-like machines in a map I'm working on. Big circular concentric sectors moving up and down to simulate a massive piston kinda thing. I'm trying to work out how to sync the different parts of the piston to a repeating script where they stay in a perfect harmonic ratio.

My question(s) is/are... how are sector raise/lower speeds calculated? I know there's 35 tics in a second of "Doom time"... how does a sector raising at a speed of say, 16 calculate against the 35 tic second? Or does it at all? Does a sector raising 64mpu at a speed of 8 match in sync with a sector raising twice the height (128mpu) at twice the speed (16)? How would you calculate 2 moving sectors into perfect 1:2 or 1:3 ratio?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

EDIT: Any WAD's out there with a similar kind of thing to what I'm thinking of that I can have a look at?

3 answers to this question

Under the Hexen/ZDoom/UDMF format, the speed you set in the linedef args gets divided by 8 to mean the map units per tic. So:

• 2: 0.25 per tic, 8.75 per second. Typical of classic Doom stair builders. You may have heard that each 8-unit step is finished approximately once per second.
  • 4: 0.5 per tic, 17.5 per second. Typical of some classic Doom bridges (not all) raising out of slime.
  • 8: 1 per tic, 35 per second. Typical of most Doom floor movements.
  • 16: 2 per tic, 70 per second. Typical of classic doors. You may have noticed that the door closing sound takes roughly one second, the same time as it takes for a 72-tall door to close (moving just 68 map units due to the upper lip)
  • 32: 4 per tic, 140 per second. Typical of classic lifts and Boom elevators. A 128-tall lift takes just under one second to move.
  • 64: 8 per tic, 280 per second. Typical of turbo doors and lifts.

EDIT: the door closing timer or the lift returning timer starts as soon as the door or lift finishes its first movement.

The affect you are trying to achieve is actually really easy in vanilla doom, just have the player walk over a linedef that triggers a sector to constantly raise and lower.  

46 minutes ago, printz said:

Under the Hexen/ZDoom/UDMF format, the speed you set in the linedef args gets divided by 8 to mean the map units per tic. So:

• 2: 0.25 per tic, 8.75 per second. Typical of classic Doom stair builders. You may have heard that each 8-unit step is finished approximately once per second.
  • 4: 0.5 per tic, 17.5 per second. Typical of some classic Doom bridges (not all) raising out of slime.
  • 8: 1 per tic, 35 per second. Typical of most Doom floor movements.
  • 16: 2 per tic, 70 per second. Typical of classic doors. You may have noticed that the door closing sound takes roughly one second, the same time as it takes for a 72-tall door to close (moving just 68 map units due to the upper lip)
  • 32: 4 per tic, 140 per second. Typical of classic lifts and Boom elevators. A 128-tall lift takes just under one second to move.
  • 64: 8 per tic, 280 per second. Typical of turbo doors and lifts.

EDIT: the door closing timer or the lift returning timer starts as soon as the door or lift finishes its first movement.

I think this is exactly what I was after. Thankyou so much dude :)