Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

Mars3D - Source port of the game 終極戰士 (Mars - The Ultimate Fighter)

Kissu my ass! Dam it!

@jvalYou are going to be the end-all be-all of port authors at this rate! This is absolutely amazing and given that the translated re-release was free after the physical release, everyone can experience Mars in high resolutions and GL rendering for nothing.

Absolutely wow.

Comments:

• In the original, the insults hurled by Mars were far higher pitched - And thus rather hilarious. He sounded like an absolute wuss when getting hit.
  • Calling it Mars3D might be confusing, as the original is usually called Mars3D and seldomly Mars: The Ultimate Fighter/Mars3D: The Ultimate Fighter.
  • More games used the Mars3D engine which may or may not be supported: Tao from 1998, and 3DHero from 1997.
  • Are you using DelphiDoom again? ;) If so, which one?
  • Considering the MAD file format is so similar to WAD, would A.D Cop: Overseas Mission also be something on your to-do list? (Hey, i may aswell ask it considering you are making source ports of anything that even remotely similarily uses the WAD format :P) DoomWorld thread with details here.

@jval Some testing:

I added your Mars3D files to the Install folder that you get after Mars3d.iso is extracted - Actually installing it through DOSBOX actually is just a copy of this folder, and nothing more. To be sure i also tried it to the proper way by installing it.

• GLMars3D.exe: Upon clicking it opens the console, goes through all the steps, initializes the console, but does not start.
  • Mars3D.exe: Upon clicking opens the console, goes through all the steps (There is a spelling error: ''Multithreding mode enabled'') initializes a console and also opens a screen, but then closes.

I could provide stdout output as an attachment if needed.

Specs:

CPU: Core i5-4590t

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

GPU: Intel HD4600, 2 GB shared RAM

6 hours ago, Redoom said:

Holy cow, how many obsolete games are you gonna make a source port for?

A have one or two in my mind :)

26 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Absolutely wow.

Thanks!

In the original, the insults hurled by Mars were far higher pitched - And thus rather hilarious. He sounded like an absolute wuss when getting hit.

Yeap, probably music is off pitch too (but music at least can be configure with the "miditempo" console variable). I was just so much happy  today with the progress of the last days and I decided to make it public. It's also a good way to gather possible feedback and fix the details.

Calling it Mars3D might be confusing, as the original is usually called Mars3D and seldomly Mars: The Ultimate Fighter/Mars3D: The Ultimate Fighter. 

I had some other names like MarsX, XMars, Marcy:) but Mars3D sounded better.

More games used the Mars3D engine which may or may not be supported: Tao from 1998, and 3DHero from 1997.

Haven't played these games, since I can not understand Chinese (and there is no translation around) seems difficult.

Are you using DelphiDoom again? ;) If so, which one? 

Indeed, let's say it a version between latest 2.0.6 and upcoming 2.0.7.

Considering the MAD file format is so similar to WAD, would A.D Cop: Overseas Mission also be something on your to-do list? (Hey, i may aswell ask it considering you are making source ports of anything that even remotely similarily uses the WAD format :P) DoomWorld thread with details here.

No, A.D. Cop is not at current plans (but you never know). Actually Mars3D could be a branch of DelphiDoom, since it's not that different (fps, same data structs), not like RAD & GLSpeed which are different genre with different data files.  The ACTORDEF scripts that define Mars' actors probably can run in DelphiDoom with almost zero changes. On the other hand, RAD & GLSpeed have completely different physics, logic and codeptrs & flags that do not make sense in an FPS. Mars3D physics are very close to Doom Heretic (I borrowed the jetpack behavior from Wings of Wrath) with minor changes (mostly to constant values like friction, speed, height etc) with the most notable addition the underwater move and effect. In addition, even the line & sector specials match mostly Doom's specials with a very few differences! Even the palette is almost the same! What more could a developer ask to start making a source port? The only thing that's missing is the original source code:)

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

@jval Some testing:

I added your Mars3D files to the Install folder that you get after Mars3d.iso is extracted - Actually installing it through DOSBOX actually is just a copy of this folder, and nothing more. To be sure i also tried it to the proper way by installing it.

• GLMars3D.exe: Upon clicking it opens the console, goes through all the steps, initializes the console, but does not start.
  • Mars3D.exe: Upon clicking opens the console, goes through all the steps (There is a spelling error: ''Multithreding mode enabled'') initializes a console and also opens a screen, but then closes. 

I could provide stdout output as an attachment if needed.

Specs:

CPU: Core i5-4590t

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

GPU: Intel HD4600, 2 GB shared RAM

Bug confirmed and reproduced.

To solve the problem: You must place the contents of Mars3D (Mars3D.exe, GLMars3D.exe & Mars3D.pk3)  in another directory.

Work-around: If it is in the same directory with the game data it will not ask at the beginning for the location of MARS.MAD file (because it finds it) and thus, unfortunately, it does not initialize the search paths for the additional content.

More Work-around: Seems that the problem was caused by not finding the intro animation files.

Edited by jval

56 minutes ago, jval said:

Yeap, probably music is off pitch too (but music at least can be configure with the "miditempo" console variable). I was just so much happy  today with the progress of the last days and I decided to make it public. It's also a good way to gather possible feedback and fix the details.

You are welcome ofcourse :) And no worries. What you have here is already Jval-quality - Its pretty much flawless, something you always seem to do whenever you go public ;)

I had some other names like MarsX, XMars, Marcy:) but Mars3D sounded better.

I agree, but i have to wonder if this won't confuse people - GLMars3D is obviously not confusing, but Mars3D now can either mean your port, or the original as they share the same name. I wouldn't mind if Mars3D would instead refer to your port, but that's just perosnal conjecture.

Haven't played these games, since I can not understand Chinese (and there is no translation around) seems difficult.

They also utilize a lot of ripped sources, but the MAD file format should be the same.

Indeed, let's say it a version between latest 2.0.6 and upcoming 2.0.7.

A highend version then ;) DelphiMars, here we go :P

No, A.D. Cop is not at current plans (but you never know). Actually Mars3D could be a branch of DelphiDoom, since it's not that different (fps, same data structs), not like RAD & GLSpeed which are different genre with different data files.  The ACTORDEF scripts that define Mars' actors probably can run in DelphiDoom with almost zero changes. On the other hand, RAD & GLSpeed have completely different physics, logic and codeptrs & flags that do not make sense in an FPS. Mars3D physics are very close to Doom Heretic (I borrowed the jetpack behavior from Wings of Wrath) with minor changes (mostly to constant values like friction, speed, height etc) with the most notable addition the underwater move and effect. In addition, even the line & sector specials match mostly Doom's specials with a very few differences! Even the palette is almost the same! What more could a developer ask to start making a source port?

It is downright scary how much Mars3D looks like Doom on a technical level, and perhaps it is like Amulets and Armor and indeed A.D Cop - It utilizes a similar format, but a custom renderer as opposed to Doom. It does things Doom does not, like the underwater effect (I think that's a Duke3D thing?) but overall, who is up for a Mars3D Megawad using this tech? ^^

Maybe Quiver is also like that, but that does not seem to use WAD as a format. (It was a 1997 Doom 2 clone and its palette looked very much the same. Its also freeware, i believe)

The only thing that's missing is the original source code:)

Yet with your DelphiDoom platform, you recreated the good into something better :)

47 minutes ago, jval said:

Bug confirmed and reproduced.

To solve the problem: You must place the contents of Mars3D (Mars3D.exe, GLMars3D.exe & Mars3D.pk3)  in another directory.

Work-around: If it is in the same directory with the game data it will not ask at the beginning for the location of MARS.MAD file (because it finds it) and thus, unfortunately, it does not initialize the search paths for the additional content.

Your deductive skills never cease to amaze me. Tried it in a separate folder and it works accordingly. What search paths is attempting to look at? Perhaps this (That your files need to be in a separate directory) should be added in the readme?

Did some further testing: Tested using GLMars3D.

• There is no onscreen cursor when using GLMars3D. So you only know you are highlighting a menu by moving your mouse - You have no visual cue.
  • Music isn't play when starting any of the episodes.
  • Some DelphiDoom related settings are still available - Enabling ENDOOM, for instance. Also, Doom cheats work :P
  • One of the weapons (The stickbomb) 's sprite appears unusually large, covering half of the screen. I am not sure if this was also in the original, but at the moment it literally blocks your crosshair, haha.
  • This is perhaps me being silly, but where can i set an always run button?

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

You are welcome ofcourse :) And no worries. What you have here is already Jval-quality - Its pretty much flawless, something you always seem to do whenever you go public ;)

Let's describe jval-quality:

• Write code to locate at start-up the data file
  • Let's add a search to the current path for not disturbing the user with the Open Dialog if the data is at the same directory
  • Does not test the above, we have other more important things to do, and besides that, what could go wrong?
  • Forget to initialize the additional data search path when data found in the same directory :P.
  • Even with the data search path uninitialized, almost all the resources are at the same path, so they can be found. But .. not all. Where are the start-up flc files?
  • Flc animation player code is crushing at startup, because it can not find the flc. But wait! There is an error check.... Ooh, no, the error check is at the wrong place :P

I agree, but i have to wonder if this won't confuse people - GLMars3D is obviously not confusing, but Mars3D now can either mean your port, or the original as they share the same name. I wouldn't mind if Mars3D would instead refer to your port, but that's just perosnal conjecture.

Actually the game is mentioned as "Mars 3D" and the source port "Mars3D" without a space between "Mars" & "3D". Or, in leetspeak can be pronounced "MarsED" :)

They also utilize a lot of ripped sources, but the MAD file format should be the same.

Yeap, the MAD format is the same. I should remember to write a small utility to convert MAD to WAD. Could Slade3 support the MAD format?

A highend version then ;) DelphiMars, here we go :P

It is downright scary how much Mars3D looks like Doom on a technical level, and perhaps it is like Amulets and Armor and indeed A.D Cop - It utilizes a similar format, but a custom renderer as opposed to Doom. It does things Doom does not, like the underwater effect (I think that's a Duke3D thing?) but overall, who is up for a Mars3D Megawad using this tech? ^^

A 3 episode-27 map MegaWAD could be great since the original content is very limited. Inside the MAD file there are 13 more (unfinished) maps, that Mars3D can access as episode 2 & 3, but there are also unused resources for additional enemies. DoomBuilder config file defines some of the additional content, that can be used for a MegaWAD.

Maybe Quiver is also like that, but that does not seem to use WAD as a format. (It was a 1997 Doom 2 clone and its palette looked very much the same. Its also freeware, i believe)

I thing Quiver is not freeware, I only have the shareware version.

Yet with your DelphiDoom platform, you recreated the good into something better :)

I like the concept of using original game resources to make a source port, instead of ripping resources from the game and make a total conversion.

Your deductive skills never cease to amaze me. Tried it in a separate folder and it works accordingly. What search paths is attempting to look at? Perhaps this (That your files need to be in a separate directory) should be added in the readme?

Not needed, fixed in 1.0.2.739 :)

Technical info: The search paths are the parent directory of the small MAD file, or the "INSTALL" directory of the directory that the large MAD file is located. When the Mars3D is was at the same directory as the small MAD file, the base path was set to an empty string, so the routine that produces the parent directory fails (the routine is parsing the string from the end and removes the top level directory from the string. Since the string was empty, it was returning an empty string). Thus, it could find all the game resources, except the flc start up animations. Also, as I mentioned above, the flc player code had flawed error checking. The fix includes to correctly identify the search path as well as correcting the flc player error check (skip animation if the flc file is missing).

Did some further testing: Tested using GLMars3D.

Thanks!

There is no onscreen cursor when using GLMars3D. So you only know you are highlighting a menu by moving your mouse - You have no visual cue.

Yeap, there is no skull (at least it doesn't fit well). Maybe highlight the background also?

Music isn't play when starting any of the episodes.

I must reuse the episode 1 music for episode 2 & 3, since no additional music tracks exist in the game data.

Some DelphiDoom related settings are still available - Enabling ENDOOM, for instance. Also, Doom cheats work :P

I've made a custom ENDOOM screen, needs some additional work thou. I like Doom cheats! Who doesn't? The original cheat must be also set thou.

One of the weapons (The stickbomb) 's sprite appears unusually large, covering half of the screen. I am not sure if this was also in the original, but at the moment it literally blocks your crosshair, haha.

Indeed, I used for the ready weapon state the first firing frame because there was some problem with the patch, can't remember exactly. I'll look again.

This is perhaps me being silly, but where can i set an always run button?

The easiest way is to go to Options/Controls and use the Always Run option:

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211202-054624114.png

You can also use the autorunmode command in console:

alwaysrun.png

You really are going to make source ports for all those obscure 90's fps games, are you?

At this rate, it is not far fetched for me to dream about a Bad Toys 3D source port :)

13 hours ago, jval said:

Let's describe jval-quality:

I sometimes feel you are too hard on yourself considering what the end results are to go by :) Or you code faster than a warp drive and that's where mistakes occur.

13 hours ago, jval said:

Actually the game is mentioned as "Mars 3D" and the source port "Mars3D" without a space between "Mars" & "3D". Or, in leetspeak can be pronounced "MarsED" :)

Yeap, the MAD format is the same. I should remember to write a small utility to convert MAD to WAD. Could Slade3 support the MAD format?

A 3 episode-27 map MegaWAD could be great since the original content is very limited. Inside the MAD file there are 13 more (unfinished) maps, that Mars3D can access as episode 2 & 3, but there are also unused resources for additional enemies. DoomBuilder config file defines some of the additional content, that can be used for a MegaWAD.

Maybe it should be MarsEd, after all, you are Doomifying it ;)

As for Slade3: @Gez? Considering MAD looks incredibly similar, what would be the odds of support?

I really thought Quiver was re-released as freeware, as i know Amulets & Armor (Another game using the WAD format!) is,

13 hours ago, jval said:

Technical info: The search paths are the parent directory of the small MAD file, or the "INSTALL" directory of the directory that the large MAD file is located. When the Mars3D is was at the same directory as the small MAD file, the base path was set to an empty string, so the routine that produces the parent directory fails (the routine is parsing the string from the end and removes the top level directory from the string. Since the string was empty, it was returning an empty string). Thus, it could find all the game resources, except the flc start up animations. Also, as I mentioned above, the flc player code had flawed error checking. The fix includes to correctly identify the search path as well as correcting the flc player error check (skip animation if the flc file is missing).

Again your skills keep on amazine me :)

13 hours ago, jval said:

Yeap, there is no skull (at least it doesn't fit well). Maybe highlight the background also?

I agree. Perhaps the original also had this missing but that is an easy QoL feature.

I agree with everything else, except for...

13 hours ago, jval said:

The easiest way is to go to Options/Controls and use the Always Run option:

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211202-054624114.png

That's on me, i was being stupid. My apologies!

Any voxel support for this Mars?  Any dynlights? Looks like i want to try this game.. But you know me - i have to make some resources first)))

33 minutes ago, GRAU said:

Any voxel support for this Mars?  Any dynlights? Looks like i want to try this game.. But you know me - i have to make some resources first)))

Voxel and dynlight support is on a par with DelphiDoom 2.0.6. Any chance for RDMARSVox ???

On 12/2/2021 at 6:17 AM, jval said:

I should remember to write a small utility to convert MAD to WAD.

Here it is:

MAD2WAD utility: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Tools%2C%20maps%20and%20examples/MAD2WAD_1.0.1_bin.zip/download

MAD2WAD will convert any MAD file from the games MARS, TAO & 3DHERO to a WAD file. In addition, if it detects the file GAME.PAL it will produce a Doom-style palette & colormap as the 2 first lumps of the output WAD. The output file can be edited with Slade3 or DoomBuilder. If you open the file produced from Mars in DoomBuilder don't forget to use the Mars3D config file.

MAD file tech info:

Spoiler

The DOS executable will load Doom WAD files as well as MAD files. The MAD file format is very close to the Doom format, and there are actually 3 MAD file formats:

Format #1

Header: 6 byte (="CD&MMM"), followed by a 4 byte integer value with the number of lumps and another 4 byte integer with the offset of the lump information table.

Format #2

Header: 19 byte (="WORLD&ART&DIRECTORY"), followed by a 4 byte integer value with the number of lumps and another 4 byte integer with the offset of the lump information

table.

In both above formats the lump information table is like the Doom wad lump information table with the notable exception of having added to all bytes a value of 48.

Format #3:

The third format is completely identical to Doom WAD format, only the extension differs.

Edited by jval

19 hours ago, jval said:

Any chance for RDMARSVox ???

Of course! Especially if someone other than me needs it. But of course I can't do it as fast as RDVOX. I also have some interest in creating my SOME voxels for NBlood, but still MARS looks less well-known to me, and needs my voxels far more. Who if not me?)))

Another reason - i have created a thread about Your sourceport and MARS3D on i.iddqd.ru - it is Russian Doomer forum, and i belive some of them will like your port, this game,a nd my voxel addons too!

Edited by GRAU

8 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Looks interesting ... but no love for Linux :( Or can it be built on Linux - presumably FPC is required if so?

Unfortunately I have no experience in Linux GUI programming. Also to compile it needs FPC (or Delphi Enterprise edition) and the replacement of all system specific code.

3 hours ago, GRAU said:

Of course! Especially if someone other than me needs it. But of course I can't do it as fast as RDVOX. I also have some interest in creating my SOME voxels for NBlood, but still MARS looks less well-known to me, and needs my voxels far more. Who if not me?)))

Another reason - i have created a thread about Your sourceport and MARS3D on i.iddqd.ru - it is Russian Doomer forum, and i belive some of them will like your port, this game,a nd my voxel addons too!

Great! We need voxels!

18 hours ago, jval said:

Here it is:

MAD2WAD utility: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Tools%2C%20maps%20and%20examples/MAD2WAD_1.0.1_bin.zip/download

MAD2WAD will convert any MAD file from the games MARS, TAO & 3DHERO to a WAD file. In addition, if it detects the file GAME.PAL it will produce a Doom-style palette & colormap as the 2 first lumps of the output WAD. The output file can be edited with Slade3 or DoomBuilder. If you open the file produced from Mars in DoomBuilder don't forget to use the Mars3D config file.

MAD file tech info:

Reveal hidden contents

The DOS executable will load Doom WAD files as well as MAD files. The MAD file format is very close to the Doom format, and there are actually 3 MAD file formats:

Format #1

Header: 6 byte (="CD&MMM"), followed by a 4 byte integer value with the number of lumps and another 4 byte integer with the offset of the lump information table.

Format #2

Header: 19 byte (="WORLD&ART&DIRECTORY"), followed by a 4 byte integer value with the number of lumps and another 4 byte integer with the offset of the lump information

table.

In both above formats the lump information table is like the Doom wad lump information table with the notable exception of having added to all bytes a value of 48.

Format #3:

The third format is completely identical to Doom WAD format, only the extension differs.

Very epic, so now Tao and 3DHero can see better compatibility with the Doom engine. Perhaps someone would craft a modern TC for it similar to how Project Osiris is a Alien Breed 3D TC for GZDoom.

Would the Mars3D config file for Doom Builder also work on 3DHero/Tao?

Pretty impressive so far. Worth noting though that when using GLMars3D.exe and submerging myself in water, my view is completely covered with a flat aqua color.

IDxwOev.png

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Very epic, so now Tao and 3DHero can see better compatibility with the Doom engine. Perhaps someone would craft a modern TC for it similar to how Project Osiris is a Alien Breed 3D TC for GZDoom. 

Even a translation, as a first step, would be fantastic so that people who don't speak Chinese could play the games!

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Would the Mars3D config file for Doom Builder also work on 3DHero/Tao? 

No, the enemies are different, the sprites are different (even though some Mars sprites, with Mars palette, are inside their data files, possible indication of how rushed was the development). I haven't checked the line and sector specials for these games but I think that 3DHero & Tao do not have underwater sectors.

22 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Pretty impressive so far. Worth noting though that when using GLMars3D.exe and submerging myself in water, my view is completely covered with a flat aqua color.

Thanks for reporting, it's a known issue, I just haven't found the time to fix this.

2 hours ago, jval said:

Even a translation, as a first step, would be fantastic so that people who don't speak Chinese could play the games!

No, the enemies are different, the sprites are different (even though some Mars sprites, with Mars palette, are inside their data files, possible indication of how rushed was the development). I haven't checked the line and sector specials for these games but I think that 3DHero & Tao do not have underwater sectors.

I am not certain how much the dialogue affects the game - I doubt it does very little. If i recall correctly, Tao did have a few underwater sections, but by 1998, the Mars Engine was positively ancient.

Tao is more interesting as it can be played in first person. It reminds me a lot of the Legend of the Seven Paladins from 1994.

4 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Can you tell me what is your GPU ?  I have no problems in the build-in Intel 630 but the same problem in a GTX 1050.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:31 PM, jval said:

A have one or two in my mind :)

Here's hoping that one of those is CHASM - The Rift

15 hours ago, jval said:

Unfortunately I have no experience in Linux GUI programming. Also to compile it needs FPC (or Delphi Enterprise edition) and the replacement of all system specific code.

OK, well thanks for the effort anyway, it's good work; will have to get WINE installed and hope it runs there.

EDIT:

First impressions: GL version runs on WINE but quite slow, then again I only have an i3 right now as my dual xeon machine died. No music, but will experiment over time. Non GL version doesn't run, gets as far as starting graphics then crashes.

The game briefings and cut-scenes are in Korean even though the community download page says its the translated version ... anybody know what I'm doing wrong, please?

Edited by Martin Howe : Tried it on WINE

8 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

The game briefings and cut-scenes are in Korean even though the community download page says its the translated version ... anybody know what I'm doing wrong, please? 

You must opened the "big" mars.mad file, which is untranslated, The translated file is the small mars.mad file located in the install directory. You can either specify the correct file from the command line with the -imad (or -iwad) parameter, or delete/modify the "mars_mad_file" entry in Mars3D.ini.

Wow that great Source Port , i am amazed thank you very much.

chasm the rift i vote too =) here is port but it unfinished https://github.com/Panzerschrek/Chasm-Reverse
in pursuit of greed - is another very cool game but no body care https://archive.org/details/GreedSource there is Source Code and unfinished Source port for Windows

And you know) i like Raven Software and games like:

ShadowCaster

CyClones

Necrodome

is not ported and no body cares and that was also gems

another great looking games they similar to Raven Software (no its not Human Head Studios =) its a comany TAG under Psygnosis publisher)

Alpha Storm

Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard

Bram Stoker's Dracula

even more obscure and seems interesting but i am not care =)

Chill Manor

I.M. Meen

Hades 2

P.S. 

not quite in the subject, well, here began a chain of memories about Quiver, a transparent sphere that absorbs the image of the screen and distorts it, everything is impossible to look through a glass ball.
And another very interesting effect is the shift of the palette. It seems to me that he is involved in Corridor 7 as well.
I also liked the lens distortion in the Polish game Pyl.
Damn, there are amazing special effects in ancient games.

Again Thank you very much =)!!!