Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

The DWIronman League dies to: H2H-XMas

This went poorly. Looks like xmas is against me each time. Anyway, here's the result.

Death: in map 2 with 50/77 monsters killed.

Sourceport used: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7um

Category: I actually don't remember if I played this set or not, to be brutally honest. Probably not.

Difficulty: UV

Demo: dwim_xmasLD85.zip

Category 2

End on MAP06 (exited MAP05 at 22:13)

Source port: dsda-doom 0.21.3

I accidentally pressed my demo restart button, which reset me back to MAP01, so that was the end of my run. I was having trouble figuring out where to go in the current map, but was otherwise in a good state, so that was a disappointing way to go.

I had played the first three maps a couple days before this ironman started. I doubt I would have survived MAP02 otherwise.

ironman_h2h-xmas_Shepardus.zip

@4shockblast You might wanna look at outlining and warning players, who haven't yet played this but record videos playing ZDoom, about a softlock opportunity on MAP31 for anyone who gets there. I'll spoiler it in case someone wants to softlock themselves accidentally.

Spoiler

That small house at the end - do NOT panic open it. I think it's a tag 0 door because the entire map closed in on me while I was in the house. The effect looks beautiful but is a softlock to my knowledge.

5 hours ago, NaZa said:

@4shockblast You might wanna look at outlining and warning players, who haven't yet played this but record videos playing ZDoom, about a softlock opportunity on MAP31 for anyone who gets there. I'll spoiler it in case someone wants to softlock themselves accidentally.

Reveal hidden contents

That small house at the end - do NOT panic open it. I think it's a tag 0 door because the entire map closed in on me while I was in the house. The effect looks beautiful but is a softlock to my knowledge.

Yeah, I guess I want to add that into the OP, it happens outside ZDoom too that that map can break totally. I just didn't quite understand how it happens, so I hadn't mentioned anything specific yet.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, ClumsyWizard said:

I've managed to beat you, but not in a good way.

Category: 1

Died on: Map 01

Kills: 3/35

Time: 0:23 (I show automap in video and it's at 0:33 about 10 seconds after I died)

What happened? My mouse got stuck on my desk and I knocked over my drink and since I couldn't pause I tried to mop up my drink quick enough to continue, but couldn't find a safe cubbyhole.

I applaud you for posting your run here, and I hope it doesn't dissuade you from coming back for more Ironman League fun next year.

11 hours ago, NaZa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Updated the post, I actually figured out which linedefs those are, kinda hard to explain where they are, but hopefully the OP is clear to anyone who wants to know this stuff before starting their run.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:32 PM, pampoo79 said:

e: died in map 2, category 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUIMrn2dzU

Hey, this video seems to be private now. It would be great if you could keep the videos up at least for the duration of the Ironman event (preferably further, in case people looking through Ironman history want to check out people's runs). :)

Updated the OP btw with the leaderboard. And attached my run, I did it earlier in the month but didn't want to add it until I updated the OP. I guess D2ALLing the WAD didn't help me remember wtf to do on map 12, and impatiently rushing forward was not the answer. :^) I did continue my recording to the end and added those continuation demos too.

h2h-xmas_Ironman_shock.zip

1 hour ago, 4shockblast said:

Hey, this video seems to be private now. It would be great if you could keep the videos up at least for the duration of the Ironman event (preferably further, in case people looking through Ironman history want to check out people's runs). :) 

sorry my bad. I am also unable to fix this because fucking Google thinks it's a "sensitive action" and thinks it's not enough that I logged in with my password on my home device to verify "that it's really me". Ridiculous...

hi

for someone that barely plays doom nowadays i think i've done ok

i actually tried *really* hard on map2

the first demo i made was a test and i realized my screen resolution was fucked, hence why this one is called 0002

h.zip

EDIT: i forgot to mention but cat 1 and map 4 i think

From his beard to his boots, he was covered with ammo

Like a big, fat, drunk, disgruntled yuletide Rambo

And he smiled as he said, with a twinkle in his eye:

"...OPEN! ...oh, my faaace D:"

Category 2. Dead on map 2 at 8:41 with a total of 86 kills. I was already sloppy, and then panic made me sloppier.

sidwih2h.zip

Cat I, died to a face-rocket at MAP12 and 1:06:45 (18/285). Right at the moment where the WAD gets proper ._.

It was fun! Apart from MAP02 which chokes you in a split second, this one has some non-linear parts, precisely placed monster teleporter linedefs here and there, and a bunch of traps you don't expect at all. It tries hardly to look comfy and chill, and when you start to believe it eventually gets you :p

A nice year finale I'd say. I see a lot of participants as well and damn I love it!

I missed previous month's installment due to fighting some real life demons, but it finally looks calm now. I really hope to return to my usual schedule with submitting every month.

Merry Solstice and holidays DWIronbeasts ^.^

dwih2hxs.zip

Category 1, died at map 02 and 7:45, 42/77 kills

I was expecting a bad result, but not that bad :P

I'd like to participate next month, maybe I can do better next time.

About H2H-XMas, it looks very fun, I'll try to finish it.

SilentD00merH2H.zip

Type 2: I have played and completed this set before though it was a very long time ago when I was still a keyboarder.  Do remember a few things like the nasty difficulty of map 2, revenants everywhere on some middle maps and a handful of setups.

My level of foreknowledge didn't help me make it past map 2 though.  I remembered trouble but not how to deal with it.  Nearly bit it on the first map due to infinite height nonsense since playtesting was much less rigorous in 1995 and entering map 2 at 20 health doesn't inspire confidence.

The music tracks of the first 3 maps are the same as the original Xmas Doom, if memory serves correctly.

Didn't think I'd have time to try a prepared attempt though maybe I'll go for one this month.

Recorded in DSDA Doom -cl 2

dwiron_h2hxmas_cnr.zip

H2H-Xmas_Ironman_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead in MAP02 with 34 kills.

Spoiler

It had been a careful, measured resource-management game, but then things escalated very quickly.

The monster-blocking lines were weird, but the decorations were neat. I got a kick out of the new sounds for Santa-Doomguy. I never figured out what exactly he was saying while pressing on walls, but the "Ow my Face!!" upon death made me chuckle.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, head_cannon said:

I never figured out what exactly he was saying while pressing on walls, but the "Ow my Face!!" upon death made me chuckle.

He's saying OPEN of course. :)

Decided to do a prepared run because why not since I maxed/speedran maps 1-15 + 31 of this wad this month.

Spoiler

Still only got to 20, had to try a yolo strat on the cyber and unsurprisingly died. Would have been over an hour time anyway based on finishing the attempt (included), and I was hoping for under an hour at least, so whatever. :)

Maybe next December I'll have a look at a UV-Speed route for the entire wad if I can finish the rest of the map runs. :)

h2h-xmas_Ironman_prepared_shock.zip