Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Empyre

My Doom2 stuff

Hi, everybody!

I made some Doom2 levels before I had Internet access, so I never got to share them. Now, I discover that there is still a very active Doom community. Here is all the stuff I made for Doom2 in a zip that would fit on a single floppy (remember those?).

http://empyre.halflifemapping.com/doom2/empyre_doom2.zip

It includes a deathmatch level: spcprtdm.wad, a level I made so I could have fun in god mode watching the monsters fighting each other: kidding.wad, a collection of silly sound effects I made: empyrefx.wad, and a collection of 6 big and bigger levels: empyre.wad. Also included is a complete walkthrough for empyre.wad. Empyre.wad is big enough to give you hours of enjoyment. At least I hope you enjoy it!

Please tell me what you think, and thanks for your time.

I just uploaded empyre.wad, minus the music, which I didn't make, as described in the topic "How to get WADS reviewed in Newstuff?" If I did it correctly, you will be seeing it in Newstuff soon.

Whether you like it or not, please tell me what you like or don't like about it. Thanks!

:) Thanks, you just made my day! (not sarcasm)
If I can share my wads with just one person, that's a start!

I just read the "review", and the "reviewer" is a jerk. I will graciously accept constructive criticism, but there was nothing constructive about that sophomoric hatchet job he called a "review". He thinks he is funny when he pokes fun at a typo in the txt file.

He played on the easiest skill level, and then complained that it is too easy. The engine ports, with their modern controls, do make it much easier.

He advises reading the walkthrough, but doesn't follow his own advice. He cannot even find the first key, so he obviously gave up, so he only saw the first level - MY very first level. They get progressively better, with the possible exception of level04.

You guys should start looking for a competent reviewer, before he single-handedly kills Doom by making all new mappers want to give up.

Ignore his review, download the wad, and judge for yourself. I don't claim that these are the best levels ever, but they are at worst average.

Again, I will graciously accept constructive criticism, indeed, I welcome it.

Hi! You may have read my secondary review in the newstuff thread.
So far I have only played the first map and half of the second. Like I said in the other thread, I like the layout so far, but the enemy placement needs vast improvement. I played on ultra violent and the amount of items laying about was a little ridiculous. I didnt realize, however, that this was your first map. But even then, I think you should have worked on it a little more before releasing it. Also the spaces were too large amd empty, but thats just a personal matter (I dont like open spaces). The second map is looking a little more interesting, now that there are some blind corners.

I'll keep playing, and hopefully things will improve. However right now things dont look so good.

I was talking about the newstuff chronicles 113. Where is the newstuff thread? At least your criticism here is more contructive.

I made levels with wide open spaces because I hadn't seen many like that. I wanted to make something different. It appears now that the open spaces look good, but don't play well.

I designed the levels so I could beat each one on UV with a pistol start and 100% kills. Maybe I should have made it for better players than me.

It's OK not to like my levels, but he shouldn't have been so hurtful.

---------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I found the newstuff thread.

I was trying (a little too hard, apparently) to avoid the dreaded "room full of monsters" syndrome.

If someone wants to edit the levels and cram them full of monsters, that would be OK with me. Just give me credit for my work, and make it clear what changes you made.

*Taking notes because BS is going to do levels too*

I'm just reading everyone's post here at the moment. I'm going to check out your levels in a lil while Empyre.

Well, since you seem to be honestly interested in improving your mapping, I'll give you the following observations:

Maps 1-4 had a great sense of continuity, but as I stated before there were too few enemies and too much ammo and health. Either add more enemies or reduce the number of items. I suggest the latter. Map03 should really be converted to a normal DooM2 theme, (ditch the nazis and wolf textures) this will further improve the sense of continuity. Also, use switch textures for the swithes in map 02 (except for the secrets, of course).

Map 04 was much too short, but I like the layout. Just needed a few more areas to visit before the exit.

I REALLY enjoyed map 05. The architecture was a little more interesting and varied than the other maps (get rid of the blue texture on the outside of the castle though, it doesnt fit). Enemy placement was much better this time and provided more of a challenge, and the action was non-stop (as opposed to the previous maps). There were still too many powerups laying around though (especially the megaspheres). And you might want to hold out on the plasma rifle until a little later. Also, replace the computer consoles with regular switches as they dont really fit the castle theme.
I havent gotten around to playing map 06 yet.

Here are some final notes:
1. Put up textures and other indicators that will let players know what keys are required for each door. Map 01 had them, but the rest didnt.
2. Dont hide keys behind secret doors, thats really frustrating.
3. The mancubus in map 05 was perfectly placed. Heh, i dopped down over him while firing, almost like a John Woo movie.
4. The cyberdemon in map 05 was also very well used. I had been beating the hell out of the map until he was released, then suddenly everything changed and I was running like mad feeling like a trapped rodent, having to dodge him frantically.

Edit: What I have written above is not the end all and be all of the universe, nor am I the god of all things DooM. These are just my observations and opinions.

Assmaster said:

What I have written above is not the end all and be all of the universe, nor am I the god of all things DooM. These are just my observations and opinions.

liar ;-)

Now we're talking! Thanks!

Maps 1-4 have such great continuity because they were all originally one map. My very first map was basically a buggy version of map01. Map05 is my second map.

Then I went back and used what I had learned making the castle to fix the bugs in the first map, and added the areas in maps 2-4. Then I had a friend play it, and he complained that it was way too big, so I split it into what is now maps 1-4. I still have the other version, if you think that would be better.

The rooms with the switches and keys that open the exit in the middle were instead teleporters to the other areas, which had the switches and keys. The doors in map02 that require the yellow key didn't originally require the yellow key because the key was for the spaceport area. The door in map03 that requires the blue key wasn't there at all; you would return to the room where you started to go back to the spaceport area. Map04 is small because it was originally a small part of a much larger map.

If I had my druthers, that blue wall on top of the castle wall wouldn't be there at all, but that was causing really bad HOM because there were too many lines visible. So, I reluctantly added that wall. I used that texture reasoning that it was a force field added by the monsters. Would the engine ports be able to handle it if I removed that blue wall?

Good point about the keys behind secret doors. You must be referring to the yellow key behind the bookshelf. I can see now that secret ares should be bonuses and not required to get to the exit.

I thought that players would like all the "goodies" that were to be found. I was also using them to lure the player into areas that would otherwise have no reason for being there.

All this is not arguing with you, but just explaining myself. Thanks again for the advice.

Empyre said:

I still have the other version, if you think that would be better.

I cant really answer that question, but I think they should remain seperate. Each has some potential of it's own. Ultimately it's your decision.

Would the engine ports be able to handle it if I removed that blue wall?

Yes they would. Visplane overflows are no longer an issue with the advanced ports, but you may also want to try using another nodesbuilder.

I thought that players would like all the "goodies" that were to be found. I was also using them to lure the player into areas that would otherwise have no reason for being there.

Nothing wrong with that. It's just that the items you were offering made life too easy. Offer players stimpacks and armor helmets instead of soulspheres and blue armor.

By the way, all the maps sorta look like deathmatch maps. Was that intentional?

Where I can find a good nodebuilder, reject builder, and wad cleaner, and what do you think of glbsp? I built these levels with doomcad5.1, but now I have downloaded doomcad6.1 (I think that's the number.), and I would use that new version to tweak them.

I have jdoom and doom legacy, but where can I get edge and zdoom? I want to take advantage of the features they have in common, mainly the reduction of the limitations of the game engines, like the visplanes you mentioned. It would be nice to have my levels still be portable across these different ports. I'd like to remove those blue walls and test it on all four ports, and any other ports you think are worth bothering with. I'll choose one of them later, if I want to get fancier.

I was through with these maps, but now I think I will consider this to be a beta, and tweak them per your suggestions. Then I will upload an update. Then we'll see about maybe adding more levels.

Maybe somebody else would like to tweak them, or overhaul them. "Based on (a) map(s) by Empyre. Perfected by (Your name here)!" I would like to see someone else's take on my ideas. We could even have a contest to see who could transform these into the best levels, but I have no idea what could be used for a prize, since I am dirt poor right now. I guess it could just be for the fun of it; for the challenge itself.

And no, it wasn't intentional for them to look like deathmatch maps. Is that a bad thing? Do they have any potential for deathmatch variants?

Empyres questions about utilities

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/utils/editors.php <-All utilities can be found here.
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/ <-All source port information.

And no, it wasn't intentional for them to look like deathmatch maps. Is that a bad thing? Do they have any potential for deathmatch variants?

I dont see how being DM compatible is a problem. As for DM potential, I dont play much DooM DM so Im not the best person to ask. Maybe someone else could answer this?

I just finished Map 06.
On it's own it was a little dull. If this were released as a single map I'd be a little disappointed.
However, it makes and excellent followup to map 05. Once again the continuity was there. I havent read the info behind all your maps yet, so I dont know if there's an actual story working in the background, but when I turned away from the switch that greeted me at the start, I was instantly reminded of Silent Hill. Like the switch had taken me to some sort of alternate reality. The area looked similar to the previous map, but still a little different. Most notably, it was empty (unlike the last, which was packed). This, combined with my encounter with the cyberdemon in 05, created a really frightening atmosphere. I was afraid of what you might throw at me next. I should note that I was playing with -nomusic, and had Winamp running in the background with some ambient industrial and dark orchestral music, which probably affected my response to the game. But if you were to redo these maps, Im sure you'd have no problem finding a creepy midi to stick in for background music.

Item placement was much better this time, it was a long while before I got my hands on anything stronger than the shotgun, which mean that I had to skip the arachnatron room initially and come back to it much later (this is a good thing in my opinion, it made me feel a little more accomplished when I did go back and kill them). You might consider decreasing the amount of shells available. There are already plenty of shotgunners, and they drop ammo when they die, so eventually there's a large surplus. Also, there's no need for 2 green armors in the library area, especially since there's a blue armor there. If I were you I'd ditch them both. The player gets a green armor at the beginning anyway, that should be plenty. Or remove the one at the beginning, etc...
The only thing the map really needs (all your maps actually) is more detailing. This was really evident in the "sewer" area of this map, where the rocket launcher and chaingun are retrieved. The hallways were really long and plain looking. Adding some picture frames, recesses, reliefs, etc. could improve things greatly (this goes for all your other levels as well).

Lastly, it lacked a big spectacular ending. The spider mastermind was a breeze. Perhaps you could tack on another map at the end of this series, some sort of final battle.

All in all, things are looking pretty good. Keep working on these. Ask other people here on the board what they think also. Hopefully others have been reading this and they can give you more input. Also, play some other people's levels to see what they've done (if you havent already).

All the download links were broken, but I was able to get what I need by following the links to the home pages.

I had some excellent mood music for these maps, but since they were ripped from other wads, I have no idea who made them and couldn't obtain permission to use them, so I had to remove them before submitting the wad.

The area you identified as sewers are actually the insides of the castle walls and towers. That's why you had to go up from the dungeon to ground level. I could add recesses that would correspond with the crennelations above.

The spider mastermind was a breese?